Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things I won't miss...

Great list Ginger. I can tell you that it will happen. i have my six month appointment this Friday and have lost 97 pounds. In addition to the numbers on the scale its funny the changes you notice as you go through this process. I no longer worry where they will seat me when I walk into a restaurant (I no longer fear the booth), no more avoiding plane flights whenever possible, no more paying way more for the same clothes just because they are at a big and tall store. Can now go to a baseball game, sit comfortably in my seat and not feel like i am encroaching on the person next to me. Keep us posted on how it goes tomorrow. Love your song lyric choice, that lyric was in my head when I decided to do this as well. I felt like I was 37 going on 55, and now I feel the best I've felt in a decade.

What I won't miss?

Like you, wearing black. My partner once told a friend that my favourite colour was black. That's only because that's all I wear! I HATE black and can't wait to wear bright yellow :)

My thighs rubbing together when I wear a dress or skirt. Hence I haven't worn either in 10 years. When I lose the weight, I am chucking out all my trousers and am buying a wardrobe of lovely feminine dresses and skirts.

Sweating and feeling hot all the time and blaming it on hormones.

Seeing my reflection in a window and thinking how ugly I am

Fearing intimacy.

The self loathing

Not being able to cross my legs

I definitely won't miss not being able to walk along a beach comfortably without thinking everybody is looking at me and wondering what the heck somebody 'that size' is doing at the beach.

I won't miss being the biggest person at work.

I won't miss fearing my next blood test wondering if I now have diabetes.

I won't miss waking up and being grumpy.

I AM looking forward to loving me, and learning to appreciate what I had in my early 20's.....the fact that I may never be skinny, but at least I will be healthy, happy and confident.

Bring on 20th May!

Gesined, thanks for reminding me about the dreaded "thigh rub". I need to add that to my list!

Brant, 97 lbs is AMAZING!!! You should be so proud! I am so happy for you & hope to soon know how you feel. Very inspiring!

Ginger, thanks for the kind words. It can be a tough road at times but one you get going things start changing pretty quick. I look forward to hearing about your journey.

Thanks everyone for the incredibly detailed list of "things I won't miss..." Only those who have been there understand what it's like. My surgery date is May 16 and I CAN'T WAIT TO LIVE LIKE A NORMAL PERSON!!! I want to dress in beautiful, feminine clothes, that don't have an X in the size! I want to shop in the regular size sections of the department stores, and not ask where the "plus size" clothes are. It will be nice to shop for things that actually look good on me, instead of buying things that are the lesser of the evils.

When a person is a smoker, the doctors label all health issues on the fact that they smoke. When a person is obese, the doctors label all health issues on the fact that they are overweight. I am so anxious to not be labeled as either. (quit smoking 10 years ago).

These things, in addition to the same things other people listed above, are what keeps me focused on having the sleeve surgery. I can't imagine how wonderful life is about to become!!! I don't want special....I just want normal!

1. Shopping in the "Big Girl" section

2. All my Black Clothes!...they are getting trashed as soon as they get too big!

3. Fear of sleeveless tops and dresses

4. Sitting in an airplane with my arms and legs crossed tight, desperatly trying not to touch my neighbor

5. Spending hours and many tears trying to find something to wear on a night out

6. Fear of getting naked

7. Avoiding intamacy because I can't enjoy it...all I think about it my fat

8. Avoiding the camera...hating Every Single Photo I am in

9. The seatbelt digging into my right butt cheek every time I drive

Edited by SparkleCat

Along with everything others have noted (all great and relevant things I won't miss) I particularly won't miss the looks of disdain and or sympathy. And I won't miss the tight squeeze in both of my vehicles.

I won't miss... -being out of breath from tying my shoes. -my chins. All of them. - under the boob sweat. (Classy...I know) -the indentations left in my skin from too tight jeans & socks. -lifting my stomach up to button my pants. -wearing black everyday. -granny panties -dreading hot weather...tanks, short sleeves, bathing suits, shorts. Ugh! -hiding behind others in pictures (ie...my profile pic!) -feeling like I want to just sleep all day. -the guilt after every meal. -walking like a 90 year old up & down the stairs. -fear of sex with the lights on. -my mother saying the words " Now you just need to stick with it!" ( Nails. Chalkboard.) -blood pressure medication -making excuses. -crying in fitting rooms -the disappointment I have in myself I'm sure there is more to add, but I needed to write it down so I can look at this when I'm in pain after surgery, or if I ever question my decision and remember exactly how I felt. I need to remember so I never ever re-visit this kind of lifestyle again. I deserve to treat myself better. I am done slowly digging my own grave. Like Garth Brooks says, "I'm much too young to feel this damn old!" Fingers crossed that I can schedule a surgery date at my visit tomorrow! I'm ready! Let's get this Protein party started!

What a great list!!!

The only thing that I would add: I won't miss being unrecognizable to myself :(

Good luck to you all!!

Thanks for the post - many of these resonate with me big time. My big date is May 15 and it just cannot come soon enough!

My chin hanging to my chest when I'm on my iPad...pulling my stomach up to wash under it...legs about to start a fire from rubbing together and my shorts getting stuck on the fat and the shorts riding up a leg or two...being ashamed of the way I look...not wanting even my husband to see or touch my stomach...did I notice my belly is big?

I won't miss thinking there's something wrong with my power steering then realizing it's my belly wanting to control the steering wheel.

I really want to be able to cross my legs at my thighs and not just my ankles..

I want my fear of busting a chair every time I sit in one to go away...

Someone mentioned sitting anywhere at a restaurant.. I agree with that one! I still remember having to sit at the end if a booth table in a regular chair.. In the aisle feeling completely fat like I was sitting at my own feast.

I won't miss the constant feeling like everyone is staring at me or talking about me behind my back.

I could go on but these are the things I dwell over now..