Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2014 RNY/Bypass Post Op Support

Not losing as much weight as I expected. Extremely disappointed in myself. I'm 6 weeks out and down 18lbs. with RNY. I really expected to lose at least 25lbs by now! Especially since I started at almost 300lbs. I could understand it if I was under 250. My sister in law lost 30lbs her 1st 3 weeks and we were about the same weight. She doesn't exercise but I'm on the treadmill regularly. I know I shouldn't compare myself to others but what is it that I'm doing wrong? Waah waah waaah *whiny, I know...lol

Don't be disappointed. The day I started this, I was 297. The day of surgery, I was 279.1. The first 18 or so days after surgery, I lost like 18 pounds. Then I went to the "mushy diet". Since that day, I've lost about 1 to 2 pounds a week. Like you, I was totally freaked out, but I'm repeatedly assured that this is normal as our bodies adjust and try to figure out WTF is going on...

As of last Saturday, I was at 255.5 (only #5 off of my lowest weight in 30 years), which -- based on the first two weeks, I thought for sure I'd be at 230 or so by now, but it's fine. As long as the needle is going down, be happy... It doesn't happen overnight, but as long as we get there, right?

Wayne

Edited by Wayne Hunt

Thank you all for your words of advice. In my past weight loss efforts I tried a diet called the "fast duet" which requires some fasting. I would fast 24 hours. Go to work/ teach full day then coach our football team for another 3 hours. I would still manage to throw in a workout during this fast day and all on Water. I felt relatively ok but this is only one day as opposed to 2 week liquids only. So I am going to heed the advice and take the full week off at least.

If their are more men out there with this procedure I would really like to hear about your experience also. I have found at least in my experience that a lot of men shun the idea of surgery as an option to aid in weight loss. I guess it's a "machismo" kind of thing. Especially in my circles since I am a coach and have friends that believe that weight loss is simply calories in calories out (over simplified) or believe that it is all about will power? In any case Ladies and Gents please let me hear from you and your experiences (socially) about the weight loss procedure. Thanks

Ok. For the first two weeks, even after the first 3-4 days when the pain stopped, I found myself incredibly weak.

Mostly because I had gone from 2000 calories a day to 350 or so, mostly all Protein. Your body does get used to it, but I cannot stress enough that you might be ok in an office environment on half-days after the first week, but teaching and coaching? I'd almost bet you that's going to be a no-go because both are high stress and lots of moving around...

As for shunning surgery, yeah, did that through 3 diets (Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, and my own zero-carb thing) over a three year period and on each, I lost 75 pounds but... In each case, my body adapted and eventually bounced back.

My lowest weight in 30 years has been 249. My highest (documented) was 327. Tomorrow marks 6 weeks out of surgery and I'm at 255.5, so for me, it was the right decision, despite the learning curve (how to eat, how to chew, how to eat slowly). I'm still having trouble learning the difference between satisfied (stop eating NOW!) and "eat until you're full (47 years of training there) but it's fine...

My best advice to you preparing for surgery is something I've already written earlier on in my experience, the week after surgery;

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/303515-getting-my-gastric-bypass-in-4-days-should-i-prepar-anything-for-afterwards/?p=3428701

Hope it helps.

Not losing as much weight as I expected. Extremely disappointed in myself. I'm 6 weeks out and down 18lbs. with RNY. I really expected to lose at least 25lbs by now! Especially since I started at almost 300lbs. I could understand it if I was under 250. My sister in law lost 30lbs her 1st 3 weeks and we were about the same weight. She doesn't exercise but I'm on the treadmill regularly. I know I shouldn't compare myself to others but what is it that I'm doing wrong? Waah waah waaah *whiny, I know...lol

This is what I know from my experience with my own body losing weight over the years. My body has its own way of losing and I can't compare it to no one else's way. This is what my body does it will lose a chuck of weight like 12 lbs in 3 days then not lose for like a week or more even a month...than another chuck. It repeats this over and over. Before I use to get frustrated and saw no progress so I would not stick to any diet thinking it wasn't working.

This journey with weight lose had taught me to understand my body and accept the way it does things. So stick with the plan.. I look at it like this... Lose a chuck tighten up, lose a chuck tighten up...it will all be gone one day or another!!!! Just stick with it!!!!

Hello everyone. Just wanted to share with u that today I'm 5 weeks post op & I weighed in this morning & I'm 30 lbs down!! Sooo excited. I'm feeling great & getting in about 70-80 grams of Protein. I still need to up my Water but that's been a challenge. Tea sounds sooo much better the last few days :/

Well hope everyone is doing good. Talk to u all soon. Have a good day :)

[quote name="w8loser" post="3470722" timestamp="13999wh1

You are not whiny! You are just disappointed understandably. FIRSTLY, are you getting enough Protein? SECONDLY, are you getting enough Water? You have already said you are exercising so that's not in question. lastly 18 pounds in 6 weeks is not bad. And personally, as a person who has tried most diets, I keep wondering if my body is like let's see how long she'll do this diet. Lol. in the meantime try focusing on some non scale victories. my Most recent one is I can squat without pain.

lastly losing it slowly might reduce some of loop the loose skin that we get.

Good morning everyone! I have a problem. Last weekend I had to go the the ER because I was having severe pain in my lower belly, bloody diarrhea (sorry), dry heaves, and the shakes. They couldn't find what was wrong, just doped me up with pain meds and phenegran and discharged me. Apparently it just sometimes happens. Ever since, I cannot tolerate Water or much of anything else. I vomit about 50% of the time. I feel awful and I know I'm pretty dehydrated. I have been able to drink Gatorade, which is helping a little. Even though I don't vomit every time, I still gag on everything. Has anyone else has this problem? Is it normal? I started back to work last week and today is already the 2nd day Ihave missed...

Good morning everyone! I have a problem. Last weekend I had to go the the ER because I was having severe pain in my lower belly, bloody diarrhea (sorry), dry heaves, and the shakes. They couldn't find what was wrong, just doped me up with pain meds and phenegran and discharged me. Apparently it just sometimes happens. Ever since, I cannot tolerate Water or much of anything else. I vomit about 50% of the time. I feel awful and I know I'm pretty dehydrated. I have been able to drink Gatorade, which is helping a little. Even though I don't vomit every time, I still gag on everything. Has anyone else has this problem? Is it normal? I started back to work last week and today is already the 2nd day Ihave missed...

Have you talked to your surgeon or bariatric practice?

Well im unsure weither or not i have posted but i will. Today makes 5weeks since ive had my gastric bypass. Must say that lastnight was a hard night but think its self inflected. I over did it will being active. So was in pain by the time. Went to bed. For the first time ever. My opperation went smoother then expected 2days and was home. Gas pains but nothing much. Cold Water wasnt my friend. Had struggles getting my drinks it. Now on sushy foods. Most are excited but my stomache seems to deny almost everything first time along. Im now sure how many inches but my face has shrank body has changed f2f own 23.5pounds in 1 month.

Well im unsure weither or not i have posted but i will. Today makes 5weeks since ive had my gastric bypass. Must say that lastnight was a hard night but think its self inflected. I over did it will being active. So was in pain by the time. Went to bed. For the first time ever. My opperation went smoother then expected 2days and was home. Gas pains but nothing much. Cold Water wasnt my friend. Had struggles getting my drinks it. Now on sushy foods. Most are excited but my stomache seems to deny almost everything first time along. Im now sure how many inches but my face has shrank body has changed f2f own 23.5pounds in 1 month.

post-205644-0-48720600-1400010217_thumb.png

[ATTACH]44300[/ATTACH]

post-205644-0-69316400-1400010330_thumb.png

[ATTACH]44303[/ATTACH]

I am one month out tomorrow and I lost 23 pounds. I am ok with that, not so much, I see bigger numbers here but try not to compare myself to others - we are all different and lose in different pace.

One thing for sure: If I eat a diet high in sugar and carbs (even if I am within my calorie goal) my weight loss slows down drastically. Carb is my enemy, and that is sad coz I loooove carbs.

Also, I am hungry a lot, and I could eat way more then what I eat, so I log everything on MFP to make sure I do not go over my calorie limit. Its not easy, its not easy for me, I see loads of ppl here saying they have no appetite ect, my apetite and hunger returned on day 5 after surgery!!!!!!!!!!

@@w8loser &greeneres the 3 of us lost aeond the same in not far behind eachother post opp. I know i have thought lots of negative. Thoughts to myself past week days but all we can do is our best its all weight we no longer carry and as u know were not in this alone. I have faith we will all get there. Still healing as my doctor says. Keep ur eyes on the prize.

@@w8loser &greeneres the 3 of us lost aeond the same in not far behind eachother post opp. I know i have thought lots of negative. Thoughts to myself past week days but all we can do is our best its all weight we no longer carry and as u know were not in this alone. I have faith we will all get there. Still healing as my doctor says. Keep ur eyes on the prize.

You are right, and I know without this surgery I would have suffered to lose 23 pounds, but with this surgery it was not so hard. I mean I still had to and have to watch what I eat but I can control my hunger better. I have hope now.

And hey, I wish every month would suck as this did hehehe, 23 pounds in a month...I know next month will be half as much so lets be grateful ladies!!!! :)

Today makes 22 days post op. Not quiet a month yet and I see definite signs of weight loss. I can now fit comfortably in my size 22's with plenty of room. I do not like taking full body photos because I once did not like the image from the camera, a big fat swollen looking me. Havin WLS was the best thing I've ever done for myself. I'm able to walk two miles now without gettin winded and experiencing stabbing pain in my lower back and I'm also drinking the required amount of Protein every day. I feel that I am on my way to health and hapiness. My daughter's are so proud of me and my hubby does not say much he just smiles and beams with pride whenever he looks at me. Yes the road is still rough there are days when I am so tired that i have to force myself to exercise but I will persevere!!! Here are two pictures of me in december, 2013 sitting next to my slim, petite cousin, and a picture my hubby took of me today. I feel good and I know that there is a long road to travel before I reach my goal weight of 150lbs, but I am prepared to do this!!!

Gloria Martin.docx

Today makes 22 days post op. Not quiet a month yet and I see definite signs of weight loss. I can now fit comfortably in my size 22's with plenty of room. I do not like taking full body photos because I once did not like the image from the camera, a big fat swollen looking me. Havin WLS was the best thing I've ever done for myself. I'm able to walk two miles now without gettin winded and experiencing stabbing pain in my lower back and I'm also drinking the required amount of Protein every day. I feel that I am on my way to health and hapiness. My daughter's are so proud of me and my hubby does not say much he just smiles and beams with pride whenever he looks at me. Yes the road is still rough there are days when I am so tired that i have to force myself to exercise but I will persevere!!! Here are two pictures of me in december, 2013 sitting next to my slim, petite cousin, and a picture my hubby took of me today. I feel good and I know that there is a long road to travel before I reach my goal weight of 150lbs, but I am prepared to do this!!!

@@MrsGloMartin I challenge you to keeping progression photos! I too hated the camera and just today my hubby reminded me that I said i'd chronicle this wl journey with progression photos and a journal. Come on....won't you join me. Let's remember where we were emotionally and physically and watch as our lives transform and hopefully be encouraging and motivational to others. LOL