Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confessions of the newly sleeved

First off, keep it friendly, don't accuse others of being rude, etc. for offering constructive advice.

To the OP, I'm sorry, but you are walking on a very slippery slope. I am sure if you contact your nutritionist or surgeon, neither would be pleased with your food choices. First off, just because you did try something and you didn't get sick from it, etc., doesn't mean you know your body and are good to eat anything you want. You just had major surgery, your body is healing. Do you want to have a leak? I sure wouldn't. And your surgeon doesn't want you to either. He prescribed a specific diet for you to follow because your body needs to heal. Even though you ate something and it didn't make you sick, you have no idea of the harm you could be doing to your newly sleeved stomach.

I know it is tough, I have been there. But, you knew what you were getting into before you had your surgery. You knew you were going to be restricted on what you eat for several weeks following surgery. Not because the doctor wants to be mean to you and torture you because you are a food addict, but because he knows what is best for you and your health and what your body needs to recover properly. Now is a good time to work on changing your eating habits, stay away from the fried, unhealthy foods. It isn't easy, but in a few weeks you will be surprised to find that you no longer crave that junk. In fact, after a while it won't even taste good to you anymore.

We all want the absolute best weight loss outcome for each other, but along the way we need to respect individuals' values. Many think of surgery as a turning point for their food choices. They will abstain forever from all junk food because they value physical health above the experience of food. Others simply view surgery as a way to limit the amount of foods they already eat. They will eat fried and other 'junk' foods in moderation, understanding this could result in slower or less overall weight loss, because they value the food experience more than rapid physical improvement.

That said, the first few weeks following surgery is not a safe time to test your limits! My surgeon said the main risk of inappropriate foods after sugery is aspiration (resulting in pneumonia).

Well said almosthome. Thank you!

No judgement from me, just concern about the damage you could be doing to your sleeve, which hasn't had enough time to heal. Chunks of food can get lodged in the staple line, which you may not feel now but will feel later as your stomach tries to seal itself and heal.

Definitely confess to your nutritionist as well as your surgeon...

As far as wanting to eat something REAL. Honey, I'm right there with you!

Wow look at all of you in here judging! get off your soap boxes! Unbelievable! We are all human. I guarantee you will all have a cheat, many actually.

We know our own bodies better than anyone.

I guarantee you are wrong. ;)

There are MANY of us who didn't cheat pre or post op. I chose not to, personally.

Wow look at all of you in here judging! get off your soap boxes! Unbelievable! We are all human. I guarantee you will all have a cheat, many actually.

We know our own bodies better than anyone.

It shouldn't even be called 'cheating' It's not following doctors instructions that is the problem here. There is a reason for them adding new foods slowly.... your stomach will not be healed until at least six weeks after sugery. The 'cheating' on a diet before surgery is so much different than trying to cheat now..... you will be cheating yourself from the benefits of the surgery if we cheat and we might get very sick from not following the doctors rules after surgery. I can honestly say that now I have no desire to eat anything that I'm not allowed to eat. Anyway i just don't have an appetitie. I'm tired of yoghurt and cottage cheese too but it does fill me up. I'd be afraid to eat something 'real' and that it would cause me a setback or that I'd get nauseated and vommit it right back up. This surgery has helped me to resist foods that i'm not supposed to eat and I don't crave them anymore...... I'm glad for that.

I guarantee you are wrong. ;)

There are MANY of us who didn't cheat pre or post op. I chose not to, personally.

A friend of mine had the sleeve done a year ago and at week three decided it was ok to have a 1/2 of a chic-fila sandwich and a few sips of a sprite. Needless to say ended up back in surgery the next day. I am 2 weeks out and on phase 2 full liquid and will be for another week.

I've been 100% compliant regarding my intake. I'm 5'9". started at 252 and am down 40 lbs in 6 weeks. This is a life style change. I'm not hungry at all and make healthy choice for my meal prep. My confession is that I didn't tell my best friend about surgery. I tried talking to here before I had it but it turned extremely negative and judgmental and I wasn't ready for it. We see each other once or twice a month. I say her last week for the first time and she didn't say a thing to me. It was really strange. I was hoping for a natural conversation prompt , but it was just weird.

Iambeautiful. You stole my pic and you are quite rude

I'm sorry you feel that way @alwaysonadiet. Apparently you are the only one complaining. We are just trying to give 'constructive advice' and if that is considered rude then forgive me. We are all trying to help each other here. 'Stole your picture' ? please.... i got my profile pic from a google search and it's a public domain photo. Now you are the one being rude or do you just want to start an argument here? I'm not playing your game. I'm trying to get well here as the others here that don't want to hear your whining. Get over it! :)

Really?!? Is it that serious, a picture?? Come on.....! To the one who started this post I'm sure you don't want people to candy coat their response. If I threw it out there I would expect someone to keep it 100% with no chaser.

I'm 3 days out and honestly cheated everyday of my preopt. Me eating prior was a life time of bad decisions. Moving forward I'm accepting accountability and refuse to be a "failed statistic". Good luck to you!

Again, thanks everyone for helping me get back on the straight and narrow. It just took some straight talk to make me realize just what I was doing. Back to the yogurt, refried Beans and Protein drinks for me. I'm so glad that I didn't mess anything up....probably because I chewed everything to a pulp before swallowing, but I shouldn't have let that hangry head hunger monster take control.

Now...I have something really good to share!! I contacted Premier Protein customer support because I had some shakes that were clumpy and didn't expire until June 2014. I just wanted to be sure they were safe to drink. They were so very nice! They assured me that because of the high Protein level in their shakes, that sometimes clumps happen, but they are completely safe to drink. They said they would send me a replacement pack in the mail. Well.....that replacement pack came today. It wasn't a 4 pack like I expected, but one of those 18 packs like you can get at Sams Club!!! Not a bad Monday at all!!

Edited by Rena's got this

Hi @@Rena's got this

did your surgeon give you any special instructions about the hiatus hernia repair postop? Are you allowed to weightlift or go to the gym? Anything else?

I've been told I gave a hiatus hernia preop , so quite worried about this.

Thanks

n

When I had this surgery, I also had a hiatial hernia repaired. I can't say enough good things about my surgeon and his team. I haven't had any nausea or gagging, hardly any pain and no heartburn. If I didn't have the restriction and the five surgical scars in my belly, I'd kind of wonder if I had the surgery at all. I'm probably just extremely lucky. If I had such a difficult experience like you did, I'd be very worried about every bite I put in my mouth.

No, my surgeon didn't give me any special instructions on changing my behaviors due to a hiatial hernia repair. From what I understand he put a few stitches into the hole where my esophagus goes through the diaphragm and into the stomach in order to tighten up that hole so my stomach wouldn't bulge up into my chest. I watched a video on youtube just to make sure I understood what he was saying. It was fascinating.

As to exercise...I am just walking. I stretch a bit and today I actually felt up to doing some leg lifts and such. I can't do squats because of bad knees. If you are concerned about weightlifting or other strenuous exercise, then definitely run that concern by your surgeon and ask him how long before you can start working out again.