Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confessions of the newly sleeved

I want to eat real food so bad.... I'm 2 weeks and 5 days out and am supposed to be on pureed foods starting at 2 weeks. I actually have been eating pureed foods much earlier, and have had a small amount of barbecued chicken at least 3 times (not the skin). I have had no nausea, no heartburn, and no problems eating at all, except for perhaps...burping a lot.

I can't wait until 4 weeks for "soft" foods....that horse has left the barn already. I feel the restriction and have to limit amounts, but I feel like I have the sleeve of steel and want to go ahead and start eating regular foods. Does anyone think this is dangerous? I'm being very careful and chewing everything to a pulp. Guess I'll call my nutritionist and 'fess up to see what she thinks.

I did experiment with one of my pre-op favorite foods, and discovered that it is no longer going to be a favorite. I had a couple of fried shrimp with about 5 french fries. Chewed to a pulp of course... but it didn't really taste good to me. I think it just tasted too fatty/greasy. On the other hand, refried Beans with cheese is absolutely delicious.

Think I might also have a small case of the blues, and I want my old friend food back in my life.

I was sleeved on 2/28 and have been wanting to eat regular food for about a week now. I can't have puréed for till next Friday which seems like FOREVER. And I just want to chew and swallow real food. Good to know you arm rent having any issues.

I was sleeved on 03/05 and put on soft foods a week later. I have been eating cottage cheese, refried Beans, scrambled eggs and this evening I had scalloped potatoes. No issues thus far.

I don't want to discourage anyone about their confessions but I have been doing good with sticking to the program. I can't see why anyone would want to 'Not' follow their instructions completely. This surgery was horrible and I got so sick after surgery with nausea and some vommitting. When I first started eating soft food, I felt like halfway through the small meal that I felt that the food was stuck and it caused physical pain to keep eating. I am sticking with very soft food that goes down easily and I have no desire to try to eat Regular Food yet except in my mind. I finally feel free from my addiction of food. I no longer feel like I need to stop at a fast food restaurant when I'm out..... I feel so free...... It's wonderful. I can't wait until ten days from tomorrow when I can start adding Protein foods to my diet... though I worry if I will be able to handle it. I am determined to lose my weight now that i have the tool to do so. I keep tellling myself that if I crave food that it's head hunger and not physical hunger. The small amount of pureed foods keeps me full if it's Protein food......like cottage cheese and yoghurt or scrambled eggs. I had my surgery on Feb 26 2014, I lost almost ten pounds in one week after surgery. I haven't weighed myself since but sure that I've lost more.

Different Dr's have different post-surgery menu's to follow, so we can all be on different phases while in the same recovery week. While you seem to be able to eat many foods, I would be cautious on what you eat. You just had major stomach surgery & your tummy sill needs time to heal. It's still swollen & needs to be treated with some major TLC.

If you're going to experiment, please be careful & stick to the softer foods for now. Don't over do it, because you could wind up hurting yourself. One day at a time.

Best of luck!

I was sleeved on 03/05 and put on soft foods a week later. I have been eating cottage cheese, refried Beans, scrambled eggs and this evening I had scalloped potatoes. No issues thus far.

wow.... I cannot believe that you can eat scalloped potatoes.... I had my surgery on Feb. 26 and I can only eat soft food and even then it's a struggle sometimes...... especially with scrambled eggs.....

Rena... what you are experiencing is 'head hunger' and it's not real hunger. Please do exactly as the doctor tells you. The barbq is a real no no..... you have to work on your emmotional eating urges which got us into this predicament in the first place.... I don't know about you but I suffered greatly to have this surgery. I would suggest to try your best to use this tool to maximize your weight loss. If you are already cheating at this early stage ( I am about at the same stage) imagine what you will be doing later on. It's not worth it.. You can actually stretch your sleeve out and regain your weight in the future... we are only cheating ourselves when we do cheat on our diet.... I went through hell and I'm not about to give in to food cravings...... All the best of luck to you with your weight loss journey. :)

I want to eat real food so bad.... I'm 2 weeks and 5 days out and am supposed to be on pureed foods starting at 2 weeks. I actually have been eating pureed foods much earlier, and have had a small amount of barbecued chicken at least 3 times (not the skin). I have had no nausea, no heartburn, and no problems eating at all, except for perhaps...burping a lot.

I can't wait until 4 weeks for "soft" foods....that horse has left the barn already. I feel the restriction and have to limit amounts, but I feel like I have the sleeve of steel and want to go ahead and start eating regular foods. Does anyone think this is dangerous? I'm being very careful and chewing everything to a pulp. Guess I'll call my nutritionist and 'fess up to see what she thinks.

I did experiment with one of my pre-op favorite foods, and discovered that it is no longer going to be a favorite. I had a couple of fried shrimp with about 5 french fries. Chewed to a pulp of course... but it didn't really taste good to me. I think it just tasted too fatty/greasy. On the other hand, refried Beans with cheese is absolutely delicious.

Think I might also have a small case of the blues, and I want my old friend food back in my life.

The worst thing that you could have possibly done to yourself at this stage was to try to eat fried foods....... I looked on my phases and that is not allowed at any phase...... and the bbq was not a good idea.... I'd confess to your dietician... I hope you are on prilosec like me..... That BBQ Sauce could cause problems with your stomach acid.... which could cause ulcers.

Beautiful....I read your other post about how difficult your recovery was from your surgery. I feel for you and hope things get better for you quickly. My main worry with the surgery was that I'd be nauseated and vomiting with it. Before my surgery, I had an extreme gag reflex...even brushing my teeth could bring on a bout of gagging.

When I had this surgery, I also had a hiatial hernia repaired. I can't say enough good things about my surgeon and his team. I haven't had any nausea or gagging, hardly any pain and no heartburn. If I didn't have the restriction and the five surgical scars in my belly, I'd kind of wonder if I had the surgery at all. I'm probably just extremely lucky. If I had such a difficult experience like you did, I'd be very worried about every bite I put in my mouth.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am going to be more careful. I just have to learn to tame that head hunger beast.

I personally think you making so many wrong choices.. I see FRIED FRIED FRIED mentioned a lot up there. UMMMM isnt the idea to get healthy and save your life. I think you should rethink what you are doing.. Im sorry but I know I am right on this one. You want to live then make right choices.

Chris

Wow look at all of you in here judging! get off your soap boxes! Unbelievable! We are all human. I guarantee you will all have a cheat, many actually.

We know our own bodies better than anyone.

Wow look at all of you in here judging! get off your soap boxes! Unbelievable! We are all human. I guarantee you will all have a cheat, many actually.

We know our own bodies better than anyone.

Domika:

I hope to be sleeved soon and I am inspired by your post below. I was banded several years ago and I followed the rules because I wanted the best outcome and didn't want to screw up anything. Thank you for your inspirational posting.

Sue

Different Dr's have different post-surgery menu's to follow, so we can all be on different phases while in the same recovery week. While you seem to be able to eat many foods, I would be cautious on what you eat. You just had major stomach surgery & your tummy sill needs time to heal. It's still swollen & needs to be treated with some major TLC.

If you're going to experiment, please be careful & stick to the softer foods for now. Don't over do it, because you could wind up hurting yourself. One day at a time.

Best of luck!

Edited by Sue Magoo

First of all, no one is judging anyone here. We are all here because we became obese due to our food addictions. This surgery was the biggest decision of my life and not an easy one to make. It was made because all else failed in the long run. We are here to help each other and babying another friend here and saying 'it's ok we all make mistakes...you poor thing' isn't going to help anyone. If someone is already making terrible choices only two weeks after surgery then they are setting themselves up for failure. I think constructive advice is not wrong. There can be big complications for adding some real wrong foods at this stage of the game. There is no one with a sleeve of steel.... No such thing so early in the game. Anyone that says this is fooling themselves. As a newly post op patient and a nurse myself who has studied and reseached this operation diligently, I can say that I know what i am talking about. I could see later on after time when we are put on regular food, maybe trying to eat something like fried food in moderation every once in a while if tolerated, but not at this stage of the post op sugery on Phase 2 diet. For myself, I am being realistic. If I did such a drastic measure to lose weight that was so life changing, I cannot see not complying with the doctor's instructions at such a critical phase of our weight loss and healing process. If someone cannot take constructive advice then maybe they shouldn't be here on these forums We all make mistakes is true and if we were perfect we all wouldn't be here having major surgery and risking our lives to lose weight. But this weight loss journey is far from over, we will all be tempted to eat things that we are not supposed to. I think that joining a real life support group is necessary for long term success. I am here to learn as well. I meant no offense to the poster and she didn't seem to have a problem with my comment so I don't see why anyone else here would. Sometimes it's hard to express oneself in text form without someone being offended. I was just trying to help.... :)