Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how long is too long to start over?

I am almost 5 years out, but I have had so many ups and down. Trying to stay positive in spite of the odds against me. Do you think this band still works? Has anyone fell off after so long?

It's never too late to start over. If your band is not completely filled then there is always a chance to start over. You have to make the choice that you are going to do it.

it's never to late to start over! call your wls clinic and make a appointment. clean your house of unhealthy food and get a exercise plan in gear. after all this time a appointment with nutritionlist is likely in order. good luck.

I went back and looked at some of your posts and I see how much you're struggling. I can understand how hard this can be. We were never told about these subtle signals that equate to feeling satisfied with a small amount of food.

One of the forum members likes to say that the satiety signal is like a bird singing in a forest. If you don't stop and listen for it you just walk right by. I know I've done this on a few occasions. The signals were there but the noise of the TV, taste of the food and old habits all can cause us to eat right by these signals causing us to eat too much or too fast.

I know, I get stuck several times a week. It worries me. I'm glad I have this band, but it is so much work. I think for me, it's my family that drives me to work so hard. I love my kids, my wife, our life, and being obese just isn't an option.

I hope you can find the strength to overcome these obstacles. Accept the problems we all have with the band and don't fight them. It's hard, but if you don't, what is the alternative?

And I agree with Terry. My consult with our nutritionist turned my journey around for me in a very positive way.

tmf

I am doing everything to start fresh. I want to remain positive. I know that its important for me to communicate with blasters to ensure my success. I don't want to make up a lot of excuses for my plight. I am trying to get into counseling. I need to find a nutritionist that has weekend sessions. As I said I I I can do this, and im trying to do everything. I understand that people start from scratch everyday, but how many people banded do? I wanted to know that I wasn't alone.

everyone who wakes up on this earth gets a new day

to start over if they want

or to sit back and whine and do nothing....

make the choice..and then do it with all you got.

you did it once and your sure damn can do it again

I'm only 3 mins post op, so I am not in your category, but search for various terms included wagon, starting over and whatnot... I have seen a number of other posts in the past 3 months that tell me you're not alone.

It might be more for the sleeve or the band, I'm not sure but there's like a 6 day pouch shrinking diet that I've seen others mentioned. It reminded me of my pre-op diet to get my mind into the weight loss game but I can't remember the details. That might be another thing to search.

Yes, definitely get in to see your nut and doctor as soon as you can. Also, I suggest start tracking everything you eat into myfitnesspal. Get the app on your phone so you don't lose a bite. There's a number of other threads with peoples usernames from here, with the band, and are tracking every calorie, Protein etc. my username is the same here if you want to friend me there. It encourages me to see what others are eating, their weigh-ins and total weight loss, etc. sometimes we've even shared recipes.

I wish you the best of luck and no it's not too late to start over.

You can see post after post about banders starting over again. There is at least one a week on this forum. We all have struggles daily not to go back to life before the band. You can do this. What ever it takes to get you back on track you are not alone and we are here for you cheering you on as you get to your first smallest goal. Make your first goal small maybe five pounds and when you do you can say yes I did it now continue until the next five and on and on until you get where you want to be.

Maybe Alex would consider adding STARTING OVER as a whole new forum category!

Of course it's not too late -- it's a new day and here we all are starting from where each of us is at this moment in time. Don't look back, don't beat yourself up -- and don't project. Be in this day doing what you can do to choose yourself and your health first and foremost. Sending best wishes your way!

I was banded years ago. Lost from around 260 (at surgery) to 180 and then started having trouble. I gave up, ate too much, and regained up to 240.

I felt like crap about myself and the lapband and decided to start researching the sleeve. As part of that research, I decided that I owed it to myself to try again with the band.

I started over. Woke up one morning and decided to start treating myself as if I'd just had surgery. All liquid diet, lots of rest, and some walking. I weighed 230 that day six weeks ago.

Today, I weigh 204 and am feeling great. I drink two Protein shakes a day, have Soup or another sort of savory liquidy Protein at dinner. I am not hungry. I have energy. I am losing weight. And...I'm feeling good about the world, life, and everything.

Starting over doesn't have to be as drastic as what I am doing. Figure out what starting over means to you and then do it.

everyone who wakes up on this earth gets a new day

to start over if they want

or to sit back and whine and do nothing....

make the choice..and then do it with all you got.

you did it once and your sure damn can do it again

Thanks I want to. Im trying to. I just wonder does it really work as much as it did years later. I only had one issue ever with my band, and that scared the hell out of me. It got so tight I choked off my own salvia. But nothing else since. I was scared to get it really tighten without insurance, because of the fear of being hospitalized again. I have insurance now, so I am going for it now. I tried having only fluids, but for some reason in was nauseous. So I am just keeping the starches away, and no real carbs other than the ones from fruit.< /p>

I was banded years ago. Lost from around 260 (at surgery) to 180 and then started having trouble. I gave up, ate too much, and regained up to 240.

I felt like crap about myself and the lapband and decided to start researching the sleeve. As part of that research, I decided that I owed it to myself to try again with the band.

I started over. Woke up one morning and decided to start treating myself as if I'd just had surgery. All liquid diet, lots of rest, and some walking. I weighed 230 that day six weeks ago.

Today, I weigh 204 and am feeling great. I drink two Protein shakes a day, have Soup or another sort of savory liquidy Protein at dinner. I am not hungry. I have energy. I am losing weight. And...I'm feeling good about the world, life, and everything.

Starting over doesn't have to be as drastic as what I am doing. Figure out what starting over means to you and then do it.

That's what I am talking about. Where have you been I really needed to hear this. I need you in my life. I am trying yo do all protein. I don't know what my body is doing, cause its rejecting most of it. I think it may also have something to do with my all natural products. I am trying to leave the artificial sweeteners alone. I am right where you are. I said I want to really give this band my all before I consider the sleeve. This is my year to do this.

Thank you so much. Oh I appreciate everyone else's encouragement. But I wanted to hear from someone that completely started over after so time. I know I have to do all the other stuff, but in my mind I was worried that I couldn't do it. I know that's wrong, but I am so defeated and tired. I can't even sleep at night I am so worried about loosing weight

I'm using Trader Joe's Protein powders - they come in chocolate and vanilla - contain no stevia or artificial sweeteners. They are perhaps a bit more caloric (sugar) than other brands and a little less Protein, but they get me through the day and make shakes tolerable for me. They are the only shakes I've ever been on for more than a couple of days. I believe they are $17 for a canister.

I also have an unjury order coming in - the unflavored and some sort of savoy mix (can't remember which).

But maybe going all shakes isn't for you. What else might be?

Finally, I'm glad my words could help you. I have gotten so much help from these boards - it is a nice feeling to be able to return the favor.

xo

Yes I'm loving you all ready :)

They don't have trader Joe's in Birmingham :( I've been here for nearly 2 years now. So I have to work with the stores available. I am going to either go to Vitamin Shoppe or Whole Foods. Cause I have to find some good products. The one I have is good, it's just got too much flax or something in it, man it bills up too much for me. I have to use half a scoop, and sometimes that's still too much. I like adding spinach and other fruits to my shake.< /p>

I had a great workout tonight, and I decided to end the day with a shake. I stomach is kinda hurting. I had some yogurt, but I don't know if that's enough. The last time I waited too long to eat and my stomach was hurting, my band locked up on me. That's when everything went downhill. I had no one to talk to, so I thought something was wrong with the band. I didn't have the right people around to educate me. With no insurance, my fear would creep up when ever I started eating band friendly. I'm covered now though.