Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2014 sleevers

Officially on the losers bench as of April 8th. Past two days have been really bad with pain and nausea. They have me staying 1 more day in the hospital to make sure I'm not dehydrated

Its official im VSg and heading home!! Please take gasx my back and shoulder was killing me!! I lost 9.2 pounds during my 7 day luquid diet for preop

This is a copy and paste from the "Tell Us Your Story" forum

Yesterday was my surgery. I had a check in time of 12:00 noon. I was very thirsty, as you can imagine! They brought my husband and I back and we worked on some paperwork and the final pre-op weigh in, I was down about 30 pounds since I started with this doctor last June. 13 pounds were from the pre-op diet alone. I also got a huge heparin shot in my leg to prevent clotting and an anti-nausea patch behind my ear.

The hospital was running a bit late (they kept apologizing) but brought me to the OR at 1:45. I was having some anxiety laying on the table, but the put me under very quickly. Next thing I knew, I was awake and the nurses were asking how I was doing. I remember replying "Hot, thirsty, nauseous." I'm not sure how it all happened, but the next thing I knew, I was in the big hospital recliner with a bottle of Water to sip and a fan pointed right at me! I felt much better at that point. They wanted me to get up pretty soon after that. Walking was not at all a pain, but I was having trouble focusing my eyes. My DH was there too, and he sent out some texts to the family that I was all done. I passed out at that point.

The rest of the evening kind of went on that way: sip, sip, sip, walk, doze off. I listened to music and podcasts to help keep my mind at ease. DH had to leave to help out with the kids at home. I had my surgery at a stand alone bariatric hospital, and there was only one other patient there overnight. My abdomen was a bit sore but not too painful. However, my right shoulder was. Luckily I had brought a heating pad that is helping A LOT. I asked for chicken broth, but before I could try it, I had a dry-heave thing. The nurses waved some alcohol wipes under my nose and that helped it to stop. I waited a bit longer till it had totally passed to try anything else.

At abut 5 this morning, the nurses got me up and dressed. I did some more walking and sipping. I had to really play around with the sipping. Too little and I think I was swallowing too much air which was VERY uncomfortable in the esophagus area. To much and my tummy kind of spasmed. Around 7, I had to go back for the barium swallow/X-Ray which was AWFUL. Apparently, the liquid is having a hard time moving into my stomach (refluxing) and is kind of just sitting in my esophagus. She also saw a big air bubble sitting in the top of the stomach. That sort of explains why swallowing has been (and is still) very uncomfortable. Not painful, but really strange feeling.

At that point, my husband returned and I got discharged to come home. I'm still having the weird feeling in my esophagus. My surgeon said the swelling there should go down in a day or so. But other than the general discomfort, nothing super acute has been bothering me. I think I might feel a smidge worse tomorrow.

I've been drink Water, Vitamin Water Zero (the lemonade is good and not too sweet, the mixed berry is good too) and some warm chicken broth. I am trying to take it all slowly. The weather is really sunny day, so I may even take a little walk outside!

Please let me know if you have any questions about the surgery, my background or even the pre-op diet!

started my preop diet today- and was so sick =[. what does everyone think about freezing the shakes into popsicles to make them more enjoyable. same thing with Isopure after surgery. i know for me right now its a struggle to even get 30 oz of Water and 1 shake down. i also feel insanely on edge.. like cranky or snappy as well as very out of it and spacey =[. what is everyone going through and feeling during preop?? all my diet consists on is Bariatric Advantage Protein Powder yogurt - fatfree broth and Clear Liquids.

any recommendations on how to consume this powder??

May 12th feels like it's creeping up really fast would appreciate any suggestions on what to take with me to the hospital. Thanks

May 12th feels like it's creeping up really fast would appreciate any suggestions on what to take with me to the hospital. Thanks

slippers/ robe/ ipad/ chargers/ CHAPSTICK/ Gas-x/ deodorant/ loose clothing/ medical information

those are the main important ones. anything else is what you prefer to bring

GOOD LUCK!! im on my pre-op now april 21st cant come soon enough!

Erin414- how are you drinking them now?

I am doing the Bariatric Fusion now until my shipment from insure comes in.

I will tell you, after surgery I followed the direction on back for the "smoothie" with ice in the blender... Be very careful with that! It was so foaming after surgery it made me very ill feeling and I couldn't even get beyond 4 sips of it!

Which flavor do you have?

For me I have found, 6oz of skim milk in the blender bottled and hand shaken has been the best for me. The first day or two it was tough and I felt like I was choking them down. Now honestly they aren't the greatest but I actually look forward to the orange flavored one I have!

I am hoping to have my surgery in April too!

Good luck to you

So I just read in a different thread that a blender after surgery is not allowed as it creates air within the shake. When you drink it you become I'll bc of all that air in your new tummy. Good to know!!

So I just read in a different thread that a blender after surgery is not allowed as it creates air within the shake. When you drink it you become I'll bc of all that air in your new tummy. Good to know!!

I saw that. I never even thought of that I thought it would be good to mix up some of the powder Proteins. I am definitely going to bring it up at my appt with the NUT.

im on day 2 of my preop ive lost 4.6lbs since yesterday morning by only having 3 shakes a day and 80 ounces of Water. im starving and my head is killing me. i never imagined my head would be pounding this bad. im going through all the worst possible cravings and being a nanny and having to prepare dinner for kids doesn't help the slightest. i feel so grouchy and irritable. whenever i try to work out i get really light headed and i dont know why. =[ i find myself doubting my decision bc i am so hungry. anyone going through things like this?

Have you tried drinking more Protein Shakes? What kind of shakes are you drinking? I was advised at my pre op meeting that as long as it's less than 6 grams of sugar you can have as many as you want. He also said the more Protein in it the fuller you will feel.

Did everyone have a chest xray for pre admission? I see every preop checklist I see has that but my doctor didn't order one...is this normal? I just wanna request one just in case he forgot that. I don't want any holdups...

Did everyone have a chest xray for pre admission? I see every preop checklist I see has that but my doctor didn't order one...is this normal? I just wanna request one just in case he forgot that. I don't want any holdups...

I did not have a chest xray

I had a chest X-ray, leg ultrasound, EKG and a stomach scope. Oh and labs