Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doc won't tell me how much is in my band.

My doc won't tell me how much is in there or how much he recovered or put in. Im kinda aggravated but maybe it's a good thing. He knows im very inquisitive about all thing medical and ESP my band. I think he doesn't want me to be obsessive about it? Im not really that way just curious really. I don't know, I feel that this is mine and I have a right to know but he won't tell. I love him to pieces but this is annoying me.

i think most of us know how much we have in our band. i have 7 cc in a 14 cc band. i know i am nearing my green zone. i monitor myself to see if i need another little fill or not. but your doctor does have a point too. we all become obsessed with how much fill we have and perhaps keep getting fills instead of judging our food intake and how our intake makes us feel. that is what is important. but on the other hand if i had a emergency and ended up in the er i would want the er doc. to know as much as he can about me and that includes how much Fluid i have in my band. i dunno, legally you have the right to know.

My doc won't tell me how much is in there or how much he recovered or put in. Im kinda aggravated but maybe it's a good thing. He knows im very inquisitive about all thing medical and ESP my band. I think he doesn't want me to be obsessive about it? Im not really that way just curious really. I don't know, I feel that this is mine and I have a right to know but he won't tell. I love him to pieces but this is annoying me.

I can see the wisdom in his approach....too often people are comparing what the other person has or is doing...when all that really matters is if you are satisfied with the procedure...loosing weight, hunger, etc....

Yeah I,think that's what concerns him he wants me to be good for me not what everyone else is doing. I'll get over it but for now im stewing about it.

Edited by angiwantstolive

Oh, HELL NO! If I ask my doctor a question about my healthcare, I expect an immediate and honest answer. My body, my right to know, my right to to be fully informed before I consent to any course of action and treatment. I have a 10 cc AP Lap Band. It was filled with 5 cc of saline at time of surgery. My first adjustment added an additional 1/2 cc for a total of 5 1/2 cc.

Angi, you have every right to know precisely how much saline is in your band. That is a crucial piece of information that you need to know. It is your body, your band. If your doctor won't tell you, take control, grab your chart and read it. You can, you know. I've done it. Shocked the hell out of the doctor who thought that the sweet faced blonde girl in his exam room would just sit there and swallow his line of condescending BS. LOL Be an advocate for yourself. If you don't do it, who will? :)

Edited by The Icy One

My surgeon doesn't share the amount of the fills either. I'm sure he would if I pressed for the information but I think he's probably right that it's just another thing to obsess about. I have enough trouble with the scale!

I can see both points of view. But, I have always known how much is in my band. I have to take a survey of my eating habits, etc, when I visit. That is his way of knowing whether or not I ma truly in the "green" zone and if I need a fill. I can't tolerate any more than 5 cc in a 10 cc band. I have asked for more and usually end up having him take out the extra! So, I do think it is important to know what it\s in your band for that reason! Karen..aka..kll724

Regardless of how obsessive you may or may not be, this is medical information and you have a right, legally and morally, to know anything that involves your health. Demand to know how much Fluid is in your band and make no apologies for it. What does he think you are, an hysterical female? Never liked a doctor not being completely transparent with me. Maybe because I'm in a related field and work with doctors, I would never allow that....and you shouldn't either. I demand full disclosure from my medical professionals and you should too.

I haven't had a fill yet, but in my binder of information my doc has a sheet that we can use to keep track of all our fills and 'defills' (is that's the right word). I'd try to push a bit more. Like someone else said - if you go to the ER it would probably be good to know.

I don't know how many CCs are in my band and neither does my doc. We just know it works and that's good enough for me. Maybe inquisitive minds want to know but it's unnecessary information imo.

tmf

Hmm I do not understand why your physician wouldn't tell you how many cc's are in your band? I haven't had a fill yet but most all bandsters on here know what they have. If you say you are inquisitive, maybe he knows you stress over this type of thing and want you to focus more on how you feel and how much you can eat so you aren't so worried about how many cc's you have?

I don't know how many CCs are in my band and neither does my doc. We just know it works and that's good enough for me. Maybe inquisitive minds want to know but it's unnecessary information imo. tmf

While I agree you have the right to know cuz it is your info, I also agree it's irrelevant. We all get to green at different levels and there are lots of varying factors there. If you end up in the ER and have to have se taken out, it won't matter if you tell them how much you have in, they will take out as much as they want and maybe even all of it.

While I can see that the doc may have reasons for it, I think for a safety standpoint, it would be smarter to let the patient know in case they have an emergency and need to tell another doctor how much is already there. I mean, what if you were on a trip and felt something was wrong, how would you be sure there was a leak or something if you couldn't tell mow many CCs were there originally?

Why not ask your doc WHY he won't tell you?

If you have a paper chart look in the next time you go. Knowing how much in your band is important. Especially if you have to go to the hospital. If your doctor uses and electronic record, ask the MA when she checks you in. Its your band and you deserve to know whats in it. If he refuses to tell you get another doctor.

My Dr never really told me and I really didnt care. She said she didnt want me hung up on a number, and I never was. Too many more important things to worry about in this life than how much liquid is in my band and why my Dr won't give me an x amount cc fill like so and so's Dr...