Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi from Ireland!

Hi shoes,

Are you in Ireland?

What I mean by obstruction is, getting "stuck" on food, having to excuse myself after a bit or two to go and hurl it back up in the loo... My band was obviously too tight. It got to the point that I couldn't even drink fluids, it was pretty bad so I had a complete unfill last sept. Restriction is suppose to mean "feeling full" but in my experience the term restriction means exactly that, food is literally restricted, it's not that I feel full, it's that I can't eat much, which sucks because instead of feeling satisfied it leaves me with head and eye hunger. I CAN'T eat the food, but I'D still LIKE to...so, while the mechanics work, it doesn't take care of the desire. My mistake is that I wanted the band to act more like a wand and CHANGE me, instead of the reality that it can maybe be used as a tool to help me change myself.

I didn't and don't want to "DIET" anymore...I still have the urge to overeat regardless of what the band is capable of. Hence sabotaging by eating "around" the band, Ice cream and chocolate and alcohol when I can't get the bread & crisps into me.

My desire to binge is as strong today, 2+ years post band op, as it was the day I paid money in desperation to get the fat monkey off my back

The only thing that has grown stronger is my own resistance. I DO NOT WANT to DIET anymore..I'm sick of it, which is why I got the band and is why I misunderstood what the band does.

If I didn't eat when I wasn't hungry, I wouldn't have needed the band...so how do you change desire?

I have reasons why I want to lose weight and reasons why I don't want to diet...I am conflicted and as a result ambiguous!!

I suck!! :blushing: Only thing I can do now is come to terms with my obvious emotional need to stuff my face.

Edited by lunasa

I know I sound like a right whinger...but there it is in all honesty.

There is the reason I am failing in black & white

I have given the band a power it does not possess

Hi shoes,

Are you in Ireland?

What I mean by obstruction is, getting "stuck" on food, having to excuse myself after a bit or two to go and hurl it back up in the loo... My band was obviously too tight. It got to the point that I couldn't even drink fluids, it was pretty bad so I had a complete unfill last sept. Restriction is suppose to mean "feeling full" but in my experience the term restriction means exactly that, food is literally restricted, it's not that I feel full, it's that I can't eat much, which sucks because instead of feeling satisfied it leaves me with head and eye hunger. I CAN'T eat the food, but I'D still LIKE to...so, while the mechanics work, it doesn't take care of the desire. My mistake is that I wanted the band to act more like a wand and CHANGE me, instead of the reality that it can maybe be used as a tool to help me change myself.

I didn't and don't want to "DIET" anymore...I still have the urge to overeat regardless of what the band is capable of. Hence sabotaging by eating "around" the band, Ice cream and chocolate and alcohol when I can't get the bread & crisps into me.

My desire to binge is as strong today, 2+ years post band op, as it was the day I paid money in desperation to get the fat monkey off my back

The only thing that has grown stronger is my own resistance. I DO NOT WANT to DIET anymore..I'm sick of it, which is why I got the band and is why I misunderstood what the band does.

If I didn't eat when I wasn't hungry, I wouldn't have needed the band...so how do you change desire?

I have reasons why I want to lose weight and reasons why I don't want to diet...I am conflicted and as a result ambiguous!!

I suck!! :blushing: Only thing I can do now is come to terms with my obvious emotional need to stuff my face.

Hi Lunasa, Im from Ireland Co kildare thanks for your honesty, its good to hear both sides of the story, its early days for me at the mo i know what you mean about food getting stuck i was very busy on Sat let myself get to hungry i had just eat two bites of chicken and got a really bad pain i know i did'nt chew enough but this never happened to me before it was very scary went to the loo about 15 mins it came back up, im a bit confused at the mo like you i still get very hungry dont get that full feeling so i thought i had know restriction,i agree with you about the desire for food the band does'nt stop you thinking about food in my case choc & chips its very hard because you know that alot of the bad stuff goes down to easy its a battle of wills all the time, the only thing i can say to you is try and be strong i know its not easy i keep saying to myself your stronger then that bar of choc its crap like that got me this way in the first place,like you i know im always going to struggle with the desire to eat the wrong food, i just hope the band will help me on my way:smile::w00t:

I suck!! :biggrin: Only thing I can do now is come to terms with my obvious emotional need to stuff my face.

I could really identify (as I am sure we all can) with this Lunasa. I know if I have wls I am still gonna wanna eat and I have to work on fixing my head too, cos that'll be the biggest challenge and what you said about learning to deal with our emotions in ways that don't involve food.:(

hi - thought I'd drop back in after a long absence. I was banded by Dr. Jerome through ACS July 07. I took a year to get the right restriction - two fills by ACS didn't work very well but a third by Frederik Serneels was just the ticket. I have lost 93 lbs / 42 kilos / nearly seven stone/ from size 28 clothes to size 18 to 20 and I feel great. My restriction is grand - not too much as I can eat pretty much anything but quite slowly and it's tight in the morniing but loose enough to enjoy my grub in the evening. In fairness, the band isn't really the only element of the weight loss - I took up swimming three nights a week and it has helped shed most of the weight I think - but the band is like having a good insurance policy/ pension plan...always ticking away in the background.

I find that I have periods of no weight loss (but that's because I get out of the right mindset and start eating too much junk/ skipping the pool..ever noticed that cake and chocolate are really band friendly while vegetables and meats are hard work?) I am really hoping to have the 100 lbs lost by mid November. It sounds good to lose that much but my BMI is still high and I could do with losing at least another 4 stone after that, but it will happen eventually.

It has come to the point where most of the time I forget I have it at all. I enjoy my food a lot more now and have my occasional treat if I want it (but only half of what I used to eat).

Just wanted to drop in with a fairly positive story and hope that you are all doing ok. I hope that you all hit your sweet spot and life is good.

Take care of yourselves, bandsters and sorry for the long post!

kermit

Ps: a good tip I found that worked is to stop eating sloppy food and buckle down to only eating proper 'hard work' food for a few days, e.g. muesli, meat, fish, vegetables, salads, raw fruits. It retrains me to eat slowly and I'm full before I know it. Hope that helps someone. Also I found that keeping a food diary for even just a week showed me that I was living on chocolate/ biscuits and potatoes ...nearly died as I had been nibbling on the run and would have sworn I was only having one major meal a day...the shame....

Thanks Kermit. That has given me some inspiration. I eat sloppy foods a lot and am then surprised at how much I can eat. Good onya for loosing so much, keep it up. My band started working in Nov 2008 after a fill with Dr de Brun. I was banded in Oct 07 with ACS. I've lost about 5 stone altogether and kept it off for a good 6 months now. Gone from a size 22 to 14.

I need to knuckle down and start losin some weight. I eat a lot of sweets. If I cut out sweets and slop the pounds'll fall off. :wink2:

hi there, I had my band done by ACS Oct 07. Have lost 5 and a half stone so far, am happy with it as am almost 9 months pregnant with that too so weight loss is probably closer to 6 and half stone. thing is, I found ACS and then Hosp Group crap and really don't want to go back to them but I need a de-fill, band is now way too tight at this stage in pregnancy and I need to get some Fluid taken out so I can eat something! Anyone know if anyone in Ireland doing fills? How much does it cost etc? Pls Help!

xx

hi there, I had my band done by ACS Oct 07. Have lost 5 and a half stone so far, am happy with it as am almost 9 months pregnant with that too so weight loss is probably closer to 6 and half stone. thing is, I found ACS and then Hosp Group crap and really don't want to go back to them but I need a de-fill, band is now way too tight at this stage in pregnancy and I need to get some Fluid taken out so I can eat something! Anyone know if anyone in Ireland doing fills? How much does it cost etc? Pls Help!

xx

Hi Princess,well done on your weight loss so far,i had my band done in Belgium with Dr Chris de Bruyne excellent surgeon, i have recently got my fill from WLS they come to Swords Dublin once a month you can look up there website not sure what it is but i have Wendy,s Number lady who does fills shes excellent 00448007879029 i think its about €100 im sure she will do a de fill for you good luck :confused:

I have never posted on this thread. I do post on others and saw yours was from Ireland as a new posts section.

Here goes....I belong to a Yahoo group (not this board) and it is a crochet club. It is a very nice group and I would like to know.... does anyone of you have crochet patterns for a FOUR leaf clover?

The woman that I am going to give to ... is crocheting loads of Irish items for her son and his future new wife (who turns out to be Irish also)..... THE MOTHER IS SO JOYFUL.

She wrote to me off the boards about her true joy.....so can you please help with a pattern for my new Irish friend.

Anyway, any help would be desired.

xx

Hi There

I know Dr Marc Focquet is in Dublin this Friday 4th Dec, email Beryl for an appointment and mention the fact you are pregnant and I'd say she will deffo fit you in.

berylandmarc@yahoo.co.uk

Phone:

www.obesity-solutions.co.uk

Beryl Gooderham

Surgical Obesity Solutions Belgium

Tel: 08008 620321

02070 601954

Hope that helps

Hi Shoes,

How did you gt on with Wendy?

I think I'm at the same stage you were with, with Fred.

He said the band couldn't take anymore Fluid, but I can still eat lots!!! Last week was a chicken nugget happy meal. Although it was slow.....but it still went down.

Would you recommend her?

Siobhain

Hi There

I know Dr Marc Focquet is in Dublin this Friday 4th Dec, email Beryl for an appointment and mention the fact you are pregnant and I'd say she will deffo fit you in.

berylandmarc@yahoo.co.uk

Phone:

www.obesity-solutions.co.uk

Beryl Gooderham

Surgical Obesity Solutions Belgium

Tel: 08008 620321

02070 601954

Hope that helps

Thanks for that, will try them tomorrow, only looking at this now...been so busy. Really need an unfill and tried Wendy but they won't be back in Dublin until after Christmas...Say a prayer I get sorted cos I haven't really eaten all week, can sometimes not even hold liquid down, I'm wrecked!

Thanks for that, will try them tomorrow, only looking at this now...been so busy. Really need an unfill and tried Wendy but they won't be back in Dublin until after Christmas...Say a prayer I get sorted cos I haven't really eaten all week, can sometimes not even hold liquid down, I'm wrecked!

Hi there,

thanks so much skinnyminny2b for the info, met with Dr. Marc yesterday in dublin, he took out 2.5 out of 4.5 and what a difference a day makes. I haven't vommited since, and have been eating really well. Still cautious, won't chance bread or anything but have been able to eat fish, veg, chicken, cheese, ham, crackers and a slice of quiche too! It feels so good to eat and drink again. I would definitely recommend him, he was very professional and was able to access my port straight away. He was very expensive, €120 for the few minutes I was in with him but in my situation it was worth every penny and I will definitely consider seeing him in the new year for a re-fill once the baby is born, cost being the only draw back.

xx

hi there ive been in Ireland last summer i enjoined the stay there ,, nice place , weather and very kind lovely ppl ...it was my first time to fly with my band ,, i was afraid that might cause problems with me in the airport ,,, but it was not ...

missing Ireland

Hi everyone, can't believe how quiet the thread has gone, nobody ever seems to post anymore. I'm banded 3 years today and still not at target:crying: the band just hasnt worked properly for me. I'm either way overfilled I can't swallow my own saliva never mind anything else or underfilled and can eat for Ireland:cursing:

I put on about 6lb over xmas. My port is causing me problems and is way too near my skin so has to be moved. Its really sore at the minute and just about through my skin, going to my GP tomorrow to get antibiotics. I'm going over to Chris De Bruyne on 18th January to have the port moved. Not looking forward to that at all. Its costing another 2,000 euro to have done so in total I've spent 12,000 not including the fills at 120e a pop. I'm so sick of it at this stage.

Would love to hear how everyone else is getting on