Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi from Ireland!

hi maree,

i start my pre op diet tomorrow wed, well i am stopping smoking tomorrow so that always gives me loads of excess energy and no appetite!!!!!!!! if i can stick with that i will doing well enough. i just want it to be over with now ie have the procduere done but dont have to long to wait. i am staying for the two nights and intend to sleep pretty much for that time. told hubby at weekend so that was a major hurdle to cross,and am slowly working my way through all of dr chris threads. if there is anything you think i ought to know just pass it on. by the way how you doing now?with the weight loss and what is your target if you dont mind me asking

geri

Hi Geri,

Thats great news that you are so close to your surgery now!!! I understand totally that feeling of wanting it over and not having to wait. I felt the very same as you, I was just dying to have it done.

Geri, I see that you have started the pre-op today. Are you allowed eat healthy low fat/low sugar meals or are you on a liquid type diet? I was allowed to have healthy meals and even had a small chicken salad in the hospital the night before the op!

Geri, you are really strong to give up smoking as well. I'm glad that it will help you not to feel too hungry during these couple of weeks!

One thing I would advise you to bring with you is a very loose pair of trousers. During the op, they pump you full of gas and you end up very bloated for the first few days. I nearly got caught out on this myself! I spent most of Sunday worrying how could I fly home if my jeans didn't fit me. You really want something loose and comfortable to wear when traveling home.

I glad to say that the inches are falling off (esp from my thighs) Have already gone down a size which is great motivation for me. I'm coming near the end of the 2 week liquid diet (tg). Since Sunday I've been craving chicken and eggs. Im turning into this mad lunatic that wants to steal plates of food from others! (I've just about managed to resist so far). Thank God, I start soft/mushy foods on Sat, can't wait. I'll be able to have some foods eg scrambled eggs, mince, fish pie etc. I'm so looking forward to savouring every mouthful (obviously chew, chew, chew). Speaking of chewing, I've really missed not having to chew for this last while.

Geri, my goal is to get down to 10 st 10lb (from 19st 10lb).I know it will take time but I so excited to finally have this tool to helpme .

:thumbup:Geri, I'm so delighted for you and I really wish you the very best with it all. I've found it so worthwhile already and Im only 11 days post op. Ive so much energy now and I know it the best thing that Ive ever done! Geri, keep in touch and ask me any questions that you want.

Maree

Hi Gerri very happy for you.I Hope i will be one banders very soon as well. Dont have the day yet still look for someone to go to Belgium with me..(my hubby dont agree with the idea of me doing that surgery) so i will need to look for someone else to go with me.One think just make me worry about is have all that money with me in the day of the operation. Maybe i can pay in another way?? Like before i am going to Belgium?Someone in here knows about another way to pay and not just have all that money with me in Belgium??

Thanks and all the best for everyone in here.

hi july,

it would be really good to have someone with you i think for moral support though there are people who have gone on their own. i believe you can transfere all the money in advance if you wish just check it out with fredrick.or another thing if you change it into five hundred euro bills its not that much unforuntatly!!!!!!!!

geri

hi maree,

you are doing so well, fair play to you!!!!!!!!the not smoking thing didnt work today but have cut down well, i think i just get nervous every time i think of whats ahead of me. with regards the diet i am sticking to low cal and healthy foods. it will be tough enough doing the liquid diet when i have to. you ought to get one of those ticker things put on your profile just so you can track how well you are doing. thanks for the tip about the trousers i will add that to my list. am starting my milk thistle tablets tomorrow to detoxify my liver.its great talking to another irish woman up mna na eireann!!!!!!!!!

geri

hi july,

it would be really good to have someone with you i think for moral support though there are people who have gone on their own. i believe you can transfere all the money in advance if you wish just check it out with fredrick.or another thing if you change it into five hundred euro bills its not that much unforuntatly!!!!!!!!

geri

Hi Geri thank you very much for the msg..

I was so silly and didnt think about that before (change into five hundred euro)thanks for the adivise.. I am little scared to go by my own with lot of money so was thinking if i have that sorted out i would go without be scary.

About go buy myself i am thinking if i didnt find anyone to go with me i will be one more night in the hotel (i know i will be crazy to come back home)But maybe will be better wait one day more in the hotel in there so i can rest more.I dont know yet so scare to go alone to tell the truth but if i havent another choice i will do it.:mad:

Thanks for your suport.. you are very kind.:thumbup:

Good lucky for you and all the best.

(if you dont understand my english please tell me i will try to explain in another way)

Hi there, just to update you on whats happening since band removal. My stomach is healing and I am now able to eat normally again, which is really scarey:mad:.

I had consultation with surgeon in Blackrock Clinic last week and discussed having bypass done. He told me that VHI will probably cover me as I am a revision case! I am so so thrilled. After getting a loan for 10k, which Im still paying back, to have band done, I am so relieved.

He has started the ball rolling and I am going to see a consultant counsellor in weight management on Friday and then a dietician the following week. He said it will be late this year or early next year before I will be ready both physically and mentally to have bypass surgery and as Im a revision case I may have to go to Liverpool, where Mr Kerrigan the surgeon who removed my band will do the surgery.

I am still emotionally finding it so hard as the weight is creeping back, slowly , but nevertheless is going up!

I will keep you all posted as to how my new weight loss journey goes and hope you are all doing well. Brenners xx

Hi July, have you been given a date yet for your operation. Good luck and much success with it!

Geri, hope you haven't been caught up with the flights situation. What date are you due to have the op? Keep telling yourself that you are about to do something really worthwhile and life changing!

Brenners, thats great news that VHI should pay for the gastric bypass! It must be a huge relief for you. Good to know that you are healing well from the band removal. Don't be hard on yourself over weight gain. You've been through such a difficult time. When you have the bypass the extra weight will fall off! Its probably frustrating you now but keep telling yourself its only a temporary gain.

Just a quick update on my progress! Really pleased with how things are going. I have lost inches right below my bust, lots gone from my thighs and bum. Friday is my last day for soft/mushy food. I've had more fish in the last 10 days than what I had in the previous 3 months. At times I'm forgetting to eat, me, who was a compulsive emotional eater. Ina way its hard to believe that its only 3 and a half weeks since the op as I've been so active that Im hardly at home now. Hence the reason why I haven't been posting here much recently.

Maree

Hi Geri,

Thats great news that you are so close to your surgery now!!! I understand totally that feeling of wanting it over and not having to wait. I felt the very same as you, I was just dying to have it done.

Geri, I see that you have started the pre-op today. Are you allowed eat healthy low fat/low sugar meals or are you on a liquid type diet? I was allowed to have healthy meals and even had a small chicken salad in the hospital the night before the op!

Geri, you are really strong to give up smoking as well. I'm glad that it will help you not to feel too hungry during these couple of weeks!

One thing I would advise you to bring with you is a very loose pair of trousers. During the op, they pump you full of gas and you end up very bloated for the first few days. I nearly got caught out on this myself! I spent most of Sunday worrying how could I fly home if my jeans didn't fit me. You really want something loose and comfortable to wear when traveling home.

I glad to say that the inches are falling off (esp from my thighs) Have already gone down a size which is great motivation for me. I'm coming near the end of the 2 week liquid diet (tg). Since Sunday I've been craving chicken and eggs. Im turning into this mad lunatic that wants to steal plates of food from others! (I've just about managed to resist so far). Thank God, I start soft/mushy foods on Sat, can't wait. I'll be able to have some foods eg scrambled eggs, mince, fish pie etc. I'm so looking forward to savouring every mouthful (obviously chew, chew, chew). Speaking of chewing, I've really missed not having to chew for this last while.

Geri, my goal is to get down to 10 st 10lb (from 19st 10lb).I know it will take time but I so excited to finally have this tool to helpme .

:thumbup:Geri, I'm so delighted for you and I really wish you the very best with it all. I've found it so worthwhile already and Im only 11 days post op. Ive so much energy now and I know it the best thing that Ive ever done! Geri, keep in touch and ask me any questions that you want.

Maree

hi maree your doing really well were did you get banded:thumbup:

Hi Wannabe Slinky,

I got banded on the 27th Mar in Dolan Park Hospital, Birmingham. This hospital is run by the Hospital Group, they have clinics here in Dublin, Galway and Belfast (might be 1 more).

Their after care so far has been great! For example, Ive had problems with my bowels (waiting to have an operation). I rang the clinic in Dublin this morning and mentioned that its been bad in the last week. I got an appointment for today with their dietiction who gave me lots of advice and I've to see her in two weeks time.

I really love my gastric band!!!!!!!

Maree

Hi July, have you been given a date yet for your operation. Good luck and much success with it!

Geri, hope you haven't been caught up with the flights situation. What date are you due to have the op? Keep telling yourself that you are about to do something really worthwhile and life changing!

Brenners, thats great news that VHI should pay for the gastric bypass! It must be a huge relief for you. Good to know that you are healing well from the band removal. Don't be hard on yourself over weight gain. You've been through such a difficult time. When you have the bypass the extra weight will fall off! Its probably frustrating you now but keep telling yourself its only a temporary gain.

Just a quick update on my progress! Really pleased with how things are going. I have lost inches right below my bust, lots gone from my thighs and bum. Friday is my last day for soft/mushy food. I've had more fish in the last 10 days than what I had in the previous 3 months. At times I'm forgetting to eat, me, who was a compulsive emotional eater. Ina way its hard to believe that its only 3 and a half weeks since the op as I've been so active that Im hardly at home now. Hence the reason why I haven't been posting here much recently.

Maree

hi maree,

the flight thing seems to have sorted itself out i hope!!!!!heading out this tuesday so nerves are really kicking in now. no two ways about it you are in great form mentaly and physically fair play to you. has the hunger kicked in yet with you and when are you due your first fill?i need to pack but cant get my head around it yet. was thinking of just wearing flip flops for the journey if the weather is good. what you think?

geri:cool:

Hi Geri and all,

Geri, good luck with your trip, things will go great for you. Nerves are normal, I was in tears before my band op and before my Tummy Tuck but wouldn't change either for the world.

Brenners, it would be fab if you could get the byepass if thats what you want at no further charge. Like yourself I forked out €10,000 to ACS but I have been lucky and no complications to date, I do believe its just been luck and not the standard of care (ha,ha) that ACS delivered. I'm going for a fill on the 6th of May with Frederick as I have had virtually no restriction from the 2.5ml he put in post surgery. I'm feeling good though and the tummy tuck recovery has goine suprisingly well. Things will work out for you you have done fantastic.

Bye for now.

Ger

hi gerri,

thanks for your good wishes,well done you have been a great inspiration for us newbies here this forum is a godsend and ots great to know there are other irish women who have been there and done that!!!!!!!!away on tuesday and banded on wednesday so not long to go now

geri

Hi Geri,

sending lots of good wishes for success!!! I'm sure everything will go really well for you! Will be thinking of you on Wed, Geri.

Geri, I brought a photo of my hubby and me (taken after I lost over 6 stone) when I went in for the band. This gave me great hope and motivation.

Good luck Geri!!!!!!

Maree

x

hi everyone,

its great to be sitting at my computerwith the trip over me. its day six now post op and am feeling a bit tender but overall good.it would be helpful to know what most people eat wen they started on their mushy foods. so far i am drinking Soup and tea and it seems to be enough for me. next desocion is who to go to for fills? wls seem to get a lot of good feedback. can anyone offer their opinions?maree how is you hun?slinky have you booked your date yet?ger a Tummy Tuck you are my kind of woman!!!!!!!!i would like to see this thread get a bit busier. its great for the support

geri