Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi from Ireland!

Hi everybody I am going to Brussels 16th june DR.Chris is my surgeon anybody flying out that day from Dublin.

Urgent De-fill Required in Dublin

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help, I am urgently in need of a defill, can barely eat at the moment. I had my band fitted by ACS four years ago and we all know how that turned out. Anyway I have been getting my fills abroad since all that fiasco (the last one was in mid May). However over the last couple of weeks my band has become too tight and I can barely eat anything. I have an appointment with WLS for a defill who are over in Dublin in the middle of July but I don't think I can wait that long. Just realised that my passport is out of date since the end of May 2011, Does anyone know if the Blackrock Clinic or the place in Loughlinstown would do defills? I would rather starve than go near the Hospital Group after the way they treated myself and all the other ACS Bandsters but if there is anywhere else that could do it in the next day or two, I would really appreciate any information.

Thanking you all in advance.

Regards

Candp

Urgent De-fill Required in Dublin

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help, I am urgently in need of a defill, can barely eat at the moment. I had my band fitted by ACS four years ago and we all know how that turned out. Anyway I have been getting my fills abroad since all that fiasco (the last one was in mid May). However over the last couple of weeks my band has become too tight and I can barely eat anything. I have an appointment with WLS for a defill who are over in Dublin in the middle of July but I don't think I can wait that long. Just realised that my passport is out of date since the end of May 2011, Does anyone know if the Blackrock Clinic or the place in Loughlinstown would do defills? I would rather starve than go near the Hospital Group after the way they treated myself and all the other ACS Bandsters but if there is anywhere else that could do it in the next day or two, I would really appreciate any information.

Thanking you all in advance.

Regards

Candp

hi candp ecfs which is dr chris de bruyne team are over in dublin on the 7th july or if you cant wait that long phone julie the fill receptionist on 07872963503 and she will tell you were there is an emergency de fill good luck hun

hi candp ecfs which is dr chris de bruyne team are over in dublin on the 7th july or if you cant wait that long phone julie the fill receptionist on 07872963503 and she will tell you were there is an emergency de fill good luck hun

Thanks so much for your reply, even knowing that there is another option is a relief.

Kind regards

Candp

Thanks so much for your reply, even knowing that there is another option is a relief.

Kind regards

Candp

there a great team from belgium and they come over monthly to do fills and they also have defill nurses over here hope you get sorted xx

Hi All!

I'm very close to booking with Dr Chris De Bruyne to get the lap band. I'm really nervous though, and randomly feel very guilty (I've been trying to save for a housing deposit...and getting the surgery will blow half of my savings).

I don't have much of a support network, and those I do have would not be supportive of surgery - and that's kinda of scaring me.

I'm 5ft 5, 30 years old and approx 14 stone. I have avoided having my photo taken for years (apart from a brief spell at college when i went from a size 20 to a size 14....but it all crept back on over the following 2 years), and I'm always putting off doing things 'until I'm slim'. I haven't been slim since I was 10 years of age!

I'd love to hear how some of you are getting on now. The forum for Ireland looks very quiet......Anyone from Ireland banded by Dr Chris?

I had found a website touting Dr Chris, but when they contacted me they said they wouldn't work with him. Turns out it was Tullia Law (who is STILL emailing me despite me saying I wouldn't be going ahead) - I have seen some negative press about her on here. In the end I contacted Dr Chris and Frederk directly.

Argh I'm so scared! I've seen people have traveelled over alone, which if I go ahead is what I'll do....definitely nervous about it though!

Would love to hear back from you guys in Dublin/Ireland about how things are going....

Hi Cadence, Im Ellen from Galway

Had the band 'installed' in the UK in Sept 2007 - 4 years ago. Am 5'5" weighed a little over 14 stone so about the same as yourself. Had done the dieting thing for years (I'm in my early forties) and just couldn't control my weight in any long term way. Felt slightly guilty but back then we all thought the money would keep growing on trees! Anyway I spent 8K stirling on the band in the UK back then - didnt know about C De B's existence at the time. Anyway to cut a long story short, it was the best thing Ive ever done and it would have been worth it at 80K!. lost the weight in less that 6 months and now hover around the 10 stone 7 mark. You are too young to waste years being overweight, my advice is Go for it. There will always be houses to buy, but your health and your appearance are to be nurtured. its possible Im sure to conquer the weight thing without intervention but in my experience most of us dont succeed without help in the long term because the habit of overeating is hard to break and its usually a well established pattern before we start feeling ready to accept the need for help.... and that's what the band is - a little bit of help.

From what I have read about CdeB he seems very good. I have gone to him in Belgium for x rays etc when I was over there even tho he didnt do my surgery. He is very very experienced and that is good. Also at 14 stone you are not a high risk case.

Very best of luck if you do go for it!

Ellen

Hi All!

I'm very close to booking with Dr Chris De Bruyne to get the lap band. I'm really nervous though, and randomly feel very guilty (I've been trying to save for a housing deposit...and getting the surgery will blow half of my savings).

I don't have much of a support network, and those I do have would not be supportive of surgery - and that's kinda of scaring me.

I'm 5ft 5, 30 years old and approx 14 stone. I have avoided having my photo taken for years (apart from a brief spell at college when i went from a size 20 to a size 14....but it all crept back on over the following 2 years), and I'm always putting off doing things 'until I'm slim'. I haven't been slim since I was 10 years of age!

I'd love to hear how some of you are getting on now. The forum for Ireland looks very quiet......Anyone from Ireland banded by Dr Chris?

I had found a website touting Dr Chris, but when they contacted me they said they wouldn't work with him. Turns out it was Tullia Law (who is STILL emailing me despite me saying I wouldn't be going ahead) - I have seen some negative press about her on here. In the end I contacted Dr Chris and Frederk directly.

Argh I'm so scared! I've seen people have traveelled over alone, which if I go ahead is what I'll do....definitely nervous about it though!

Would love to hear back from you guys in Dublin/Ireland about how things are going....

Hi Ellen!

Thanks so, so much for your reply. Your story is absolutely incredible, and it's great to hear you had so much success - I feel so much better having heard your story. The yoyo-ing up and down is so soul destroying - it's so bananas! I KNOW I feel better when I lose weight...and yet somehow can't break the binging/overeating cycle!

Wow...I think I'm really going to do this. My contract at work finishes mid-October...so I think I'll try and get an appointment for that week. I'll be broke...but hopefully losing weight!

Thanks Ellen!!!!

Hi Cadence, Im Ellen from Galway

Had the band 'installed' in the UK in Sept 2007 - 4 years ago. Am 5'5" weighed a little over 14 stone so about the same as yourself. Had done the dieting thing for years (I'm in my early forties) and just couldn't control my weight in any long term way. Felt slightly guilty but back then we all thought the money would keep growing on trees! Anyway I spent 8K stirling on the band in the UK back then - didnt know about C De B's existence at the time. Anyway to cut a long story short, it was the best thing Ive ever done and it would have been worth it at 80K!. lost the weight in less that 6 months and now hover around the 10 stone 7 mark. You are too young to waste years being overweight, my advice is Go for it. There will always be houses to buy, but your health and your appearance are to be nurtured. its possible Im sure to conquer the weight thing without intervention but in my experience most of us dont succeed without help in the long term because the habit of overeating is hard to break and its usually a well established pattern before we start feeling ready to accept the need for help.... and that's what the band is - a little bit of help.

From what I have read about CdeB he seems very good. I have gone to him in Belgium for x rays etc when I was over there even tho he didnt do my surgery. He is very very experienced and that is good. Also at 14 stone you are not a high risk case.

Very best of luck if you do go for it!

Ellen

Where are you located Cadence?

if you are in Ireland / Dublin you probably know fills are available in Dublin.

On the money side, remember you will save on food quantities in the long term- you will eat little more than a mouse or a Frenchwoman! (only joking), you'll be able to find nice clothes more cheaply....

Seriously though, waking up and putting on the kind of clothes you like to wear (rather than the 2 things in the house that fit) is great, getting admiring glances on a regular basis is great, the house can wait if needs be!

And why should you worry about friends thinking you vain for wanting to lose weight? Number one, you shouldn't tell them (it's private - I told only one person) and number two, its perfectly natural for young women to value their appearance and their health. I remember once starting to justify to an elderly aunt of mine spending money on something for me (cant remember was it clothes or some anti aging procedure or what) rather than investing is something else big for the house, and she interrupted me saying "Ellen, dont you realise your appearance is much more important than things for the house?". A n80 year old telling me it was right and proper to value my appearance - not even using the figleaf of health benefits!!!!

I'd never quite looked at it that way before but of course she was absolutely correct.

Not wanting to scare you or anything, but part of the reason I went ahead with the op when I reached 14 stone was because as you get older it becomes even harder to lose weight thatn at 20-30 (your metabolism slows way down) and I was afraid the 14 would gradually become 15 and 17 and ......

I went to the UK alone for the op, no bother at all, had it done on a saturday, flew home on Monday and back to work on Tuesday. No issues at all.

Good luck!

Hey Ellen,

Sorry for the delay, have been in London for the past week!

I'm based in Dublin, so the fills would be nice and handy. :) I really just need to bite the bullet and book at this stage I think. I'm falling into a scary habit of eating all around me based on the fact I won't be able to when I get the band (arghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!) - lol. I'm a nightmare!

Thanks so, so much for sharing your story with me.

Did you get any trouble with loose skin by the way? You lost it so quickly!

I'm so nervous still - and I'm out of a job in a couple of weeks which isn't helping my stress levels. Urgh.

Where are you located Cadence?

if you are in Ireland / Dublin you probably know fills are available in Dublin.

On the money side, remember you will save on food quantities in the long term- you will eat little more than a mouse or a Frenchwoman! (only joking), you'll be able to find nice clothes more cheaply....

Seriously though, waking up and putting on the kind of clothes you like to wear (rather than the 2 things in the house that fit) is great, getting admiring glances on a regular basis is great, the house can wait if needs be!

And why should you worry about friends thinking you vain for wanting to lose weight? Number one, you shouldn't tell them (it's private - I told only one person) and number two, its perfectly natural for young women to value their appearance and their health. I remember once starting to justify to an elderly aunt of mine spending money on something for me (cant remember was it clothes or some anti aging procedure or what) rather than investing is something else big for the house, and she interrupted me saying "Ellen, dont you realise your appearance is much more important than things for the house?". A n80 year old telling me it was right and proper to value my appearance - not even using the figleaf of health benefits!!!!

I'd never quite looked at it that way before but of course she was absolutely correct.

Not wanting to scare you or anything, but part of the reason I went ahead with the op when I reached 14 stone was because as you get older it becomes even harder to lose weight thatn at 20-30 (your metabolism slows way down) and I was afraid the 14 would gradually become 15 and 17 and ......

I went to the UK alone for the op, no bother at all, had it done on a saturday, flew home on Monday and back to work on Tuesday. No issues at all.

Good luck!

thanks lads,

actually booked The hospital Group. I met david Hewin, he was very nice and imformative. I've got my date for 25th June. I can't wait!!!!

The sooner it comes the better.

I'm happy enough to be staying at home, my husband wasnt comfortable with my going abroad and i'm ok with that. I'd probably be the same if it was him.

I'l keep in touch and let you know how i get on, i have my pre op bloods on the 6th so roll on!!!!

Hi just reading your post and wondering how u are doing. I was also banded by David Hewin thro THG in dublin on 1st oct 2011.

How are you doing? Have you had any post op problems and how do you find THG post op care

Hi, not sure if anyone remembers me. Had my band fitted in Feb 08 and was really happy with it. Had good restriction right away and lost 5 stone in a year (dropping to 14 stone).

In the last year restriction has been practically non existant and I've put on 2 stone sad_smile.gif

Raging with myself.

I was putting off going back for a fill because of finances (I became a single parent after I had the band and money has been scarce for the last few years).

I also have to have an xray which is yet more money, plus a day off work, travel etc.

But anyway, have decided enough is enough. Priced an xray at 60e with euromedic and am aiming to go for a fill on Jan 20th 2012. Hopefully all will be in order with the band and a fill will be enough and I can lose some weight again.

Anyway, just thought I'd drop by and say hi teeth_smile.gif

Hi again. Had my fill on the 20th and am in love with my band again. not even a week and I've already lost 7 pounds. Thank god! Could still use a bit of restriction so might go back in a month or two if weight loss stalls.

Hi ailbhe, delighted things are working out for you! I see from your last post that you were able to get an xray for 60 euro. I looked up their site and it says you need a referral - did you get an Irish gp to do this? My surgeon is Belgian and I wonder if they'd accept a referral from him...

Hi Cadence,

I actually ended up not getting it done but my GP offered to write me a referral for the x-ray and then it would be reviewed by the Belgian doctor.

I am going back again on Friday for another fill. I haven't gained any weight but I haven't lost any either :(

So I think I need another fill.

(I had to have an xray on my back recently and the band showed up and seems to all be in order)

I now have 6.25mls in an 8ml band but very little restriction. Am really hoping the next one makes a difference.