Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi from Ireland!

Hello everyone,

This is my 1st post here. I was banded by acs in October 2007. Had one fill ever. So mad with acs. Not sure if I want this stupid band out or get a fill to see if it'll work.

I came on the cite to find out how people felt about acs and if anyone did anything, or do we have any rights?

lolly*

Hi guys,

Its been well over a month since I've been on the site, things have been a bit crazy. Seems as if there is a lot going on. I'm still happy with how I'm doing since the fill I had in Belfast in July. I'm 35kilos (77lbs down) and feel good. Finding it a bit odd seeing the new me emerging and doing a lot of What If's. Hope you are all keeping well and those of you that had trouble with leakages etc are sorted and on the road to recovery.

Bye for now.

Ger

Hi all. Was up 2 pounds last week. Raging with myself but it was my birthday so I guess it's ok ;)

Weight is slowly decreasing most of the time.

Not sure about another fill. Sometimes I have only a bit of restriction and others I can't eat the band is so tight.

Still losing hair but not bald yet! :cool2:

All in all though i'm a happy bunny and loving my band!

All my family are now seriously considering getting it done and they all thought I was slightly crazy when I did it. I'm jsut glad i got it done when I did because i can enjoy the rest of my 20s seeing as I wasted the first half as a big blob!

The clothes thing is driving me mad though. I want to buy all around me but can't afford to!

I'm investing in a lot of belts but my 22s and 20s are literally hanging off me. Might try some 2nd hand shops or something as I'm loathe to spend money on clothes that will (hopefully) be too big by Christmas!

Hope everyone else is doing ok!

Hi all,

Ailbhe, glad to see that you are doing so well, isn't it great when things start to get loose instead of tight!

I'm happy with my progress but I'm at the stage when I need a Tummy Tuck. After the disaster that we know as ACS I'm very dubious about choosing someone to do it. The cost is an issue to. Has anyone had one done and who would ye recommend?

Hope everyone is doing well.

Ger

BBC NEWS | Health | Gastric band patients 'at risk' Iv just found this anyone see it about dangers of going abroad? Im scared now even though i have full confidence in Dr De Bruyne... Im just afraid now if something went wrong and no one being able to help in ireland like a over fill...

Edited by flirtylass

BBC NEWS | Health | Gastric band patients 'at risk' Iv just found this anyone see it about dangers of going abroad? Im scared now even though i have full confidence in Dr De Bruyne... Im just afraid now if something went wrong and no one being able to help in ireland like a over fill...

OMG can't believe he was willing to operate on that guy:ohmy:

I have to say i believe it is everyones personal choice to have the op and Dr Chris Is one of the best surgeons in this field i think BBC have painted a bad picture of him and i disagree with them but like i said it just scared me to think we have no where to go in ireland if something go's wrong or if we had a overfill but it was my decision and i knew that before i went id just hate for other people to be put off by what was in that report because i have nothing but good to say about Dr Chris... I dont know what to think after the report

well i have to agree that it was our choice to do this, but then if a rabbits caught in headlights it will go in any direction in the hope of escaping.............. i think that given the fact that there are a lot of his patients in Ireland, he now has an obligation to pay a nurse full-time to be available monday to friday for either fills or defills. lord knows he is making enough money off us all and surely he values his own reputation enough to pay a little back into aftercare? to be honest if he charged a set amount for unlimited aftercare and fills upto 2 years post-op i think most people would op for it and the money from that would pay for a nurses wages! Please don't get me wrong, i think Dr De Bruyne is a good surgeon, but he still has a responsibility to all his patients whether abroad or local and he should keep in mind that not everyone can afford to just hop on a plane everytime they need a defill!

If its any consolation girls it could be worse you could be former ACS patients who have been left high and dry with absolutely no aftercare whatsover life myself:mad2:

Just got my first fill with Dr Chris today got 3ml and very happy and im so happy i choose him and if worse came to worse at any stage id fly to belgium cos if it was here it would cost the same as its rip off ireland lets hope i get restriction now...

Hi Everyone.

Got back from Paris and Jerome, what a guy.

I didn't only get my band changed to the newest one on the market, he managed to pick me up from the bus and bring me on a sight seeing tour. This guy has more charisma in his little finger than all the surgeons in Ireland put together. I would strongly recommend him to anyone thinking of having the band done.

So its almost a month since I had it done and I'm 13 lbs down I cant believe it. I was banded for the first time in acs just 12 months ago and had only lost 14 lbs for the whole year, so you can imagine how thrilled I am, and Paris is only a hour and ten mins from Dublin,over and back the same day. Glad Flirty lass you are happy and doing well hope you have great restriction and the pounds start dropping. I didn't see the article on BBC, wish I had, but I would still go and have it done again.

TERRY hows it going you still got great restriction, like I said I'm doing great just loosing the way I want steady and slow. Have you lost much since our trip to Paris? looking forward to seeing you soon again.

Gerri: you are doing amazing keep it up.

Lil: good to hear from you, is wella123 back yet? We will talk soon .

Coco: glad your back from the hols and you almost at your goal, way to go. Keep giving advise there's a lot of us struggling and really appreciate your words of wisdom.

Lollkeen. I'm afraid we've all been down this road with acs. There's not much we can do we've been ripped off by them. You can either let it fester or just cut your losses, and get on with the rest of your life. I payed 10k as well, just 12 Mt's ago and had the bloody thing ripped out a month ago. Find your self a good fill doc, don't be angry with the band its there to help you, so chin up and start loosing those pounds.

Ailbe isn't it great to see the sizes dropping it will be a long time till I need to buy clothes. I have them from a size 16 to 28 and I have a Sister that is a dab hand with the machine. Maybe that's the way to go, find a dress maker to take in your clothes, it would be a lot cheaper than buying new ones.

Angie: hows it going I see by your weight loss we are loosing about the same, we were banded about the same time, I was the 15 of Sep keep up the good work and keep posting.

I better stop now this is longer than I thought it would be, talk soon love Roe

Edited by roe

hi roe!! wow you are doing well!! you must be so pleased! I am happy with my loss, but i expect it to come off at about 2lb a week now. i will be really happy at that cos thats over half a stone a month. that would mean i could hit my target weight by this time next year! i haven't started any excersise yet, but gonna start step aerobics for 15 mins a day this week on the wii fit!

i am heading to brussels on the 27th of this month to get a fill. i know chris is coming to ireland the week or so after but thought me and hubby could have a nice weekend away. when are you hoping to get your first fill? i will definately be booking my second fill in Dublin at the beginning of December so that i am ready to take on Christmas !!! lol!! maybe we will meet up then if you are going too?

good luck with the new band! i am really pleased that it is working as it should for you! the pounds will just drop off from here on in!!

Best wishes!

Angiexx

Hey Roe yeah im thrilled i got it done and i defo made the right choice by going to belgium instead of having it done here dont think i can feel restriction yet but the test will be when i try to eat im on liquids for a few days but im down 2stone 1lb since being banded this day 5wks ago so im thrilled hopefully the weight will continue to go down... Id say ur just thrilled with ur loss in such a short space of time compared to the last time its so exciting for us all... Where u gona get ur fills done now?

Hi Roe,

Great to hear you so upbeat, glad things are working out for you, you went through the mill but your attitude is right, there was no point in being angry with the band just because ACS were crap.

Flirtylass, that is some weight loss in 5 weeks, well done.

Angie, you are doing great, hope it continues to go well for you.

I want to lose another couple of stone if possible and then get a Tummy Tuck done, have had a look on the web and got some information. Yet again Ireland is so much more expensive than the rest of Europe. Belgium and Prague look good, but not sure yet.

Hope ye all continue to get on well.