Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've tried to get friends hired on here at work before, to no avail. It's strange how I was just able to walk into our VP's office and let him know I needed a job for my boyfriend so he could move to Texas. It took less than one minute for him to respond "done, what job do you want for him?" I knew I chose the right dress to wear today! LOL

Although I am very happy for you, I am sad that your company only promotes people or likes people who are thin. I understand where you are coming from but I have always been the same person fat or thin nothing has changed about my personality or the way that I treat people because of weight loss. While some people would be happy for that promotion I would have to think about why I would want to work for a company that is so prejudice against people. it would just be a kick in the teeth for me. I would certainly be the type of person who would just come right out and say you didn't want me in that position when I was fat I cant do it now that I am thin. I probably would be fired but to me that is just bad business practices. I once years ago applied for a position and someone had told me that nobody that was fat works there. When I went to the interview the boss looked me up and down and said we will call you which never happened. When I went back there after I lost all my weight they wanted to hire me the same day. I looked at the same manager and said maybe you don't remember but I remember the way you looked me up and down when I was 300lbs and I have not changed since then only my body has so no I don't want your job.

It really is a sad reality that people judge based on the visual appearance of a person. It is why we get "dressed up" for an interview.

There are very few companies that allow their employees to be individuals, though that demographic is changing. These days you may see top designers that come to work in jeans and tee shirts. Top executives of social media companies that arrive to work in jeans and flip flops. The rebellion seems to be an outward appearance from rigid to lax, however when it comes to the physical attributes of a person's face body and hair, not much seems to have changed.

People look at an obese person as if they are sick, and since obesity has been classified as a disease...are they right?

Obese people are looked at as lazy and people that can't control themselves, and if we have food addictions are we addicts akin to a drug addict? Since that is the type of response we get from others.

I don't like to say it but it really is a thin line (no pun intended), and in PT's case I say Good for you! Stand up be pretty and proud of yourself and take them for all they got! :)

I completely understand where you're coming from and I wish it were as simple as "I choose not to work for you because you're biased...but thanks for the device that made me thin and everything else you've done for me." But I work for a great company. In the nine years I've been here, I've been treated well even though I didn't get the breaks that some other women got, it hasn't been bad for me either.

I'd like to add that I live in Texas and work for an oil and gas company. I don't think that I need to mention, this is a male-dominated industry and for the past 9 years, it is all I know. Sadly enough, that's the way things work by and large in this business for women, I hear the same thing from friends that work for our competitors and larger oil companies.

Although I am very happy for you, I am sad that your company only promotes people or likes people who are thin. I understand where you are coming from but I have always been the same person fat or thin nothing has changed about my personality or the way that I treat people because of weight loss. While some people would be happy for that promotion I would have to think about why I would want to work for a company that is so prejudice against people. it would just be a kick in the teeth for me. I would certainly be the type of person who would just come right out and say you didn't want me in that position when I was fat I cant do it now that I am thin. I probably would be fired but to me that is just bad business practices. I once years ago applied for a position and someone had told me that nobody that was fat works there. When I went to the interview the boss looked me up and down and said we will call you which never happened. When I went back there after I lost all my weight they wanted to hire me the same day. I looked at the same manager and said maybe you don't remember but I remember the way you looked me up and down when I was 300lbs and I have not changed since then only my body has so no I don't want your job.

Ok, Pretty,

I have to comment on this one....

I know you are thrilled with your weight loss and I am happy for you also....but...

Honestly -- I would NOT want to work for your company, and hopefully ALL companies are NOT like this in Texas!!

This is screaming discrimination, I understand that you are riding "high" on your new found "perks" for slimming down, but this kind of "special attention" saddens me.

I've also worked as a project lead and I would NOT dare treat others with "perks" just because they've lost weight, I treat obese and slim people fairly.

The only thing I may have a problem with if someone does not keep themselves clean, dress professionally or have bad hygiene and both thin and obese people can both have those traits.

I work as software engineer and THANKFULLY ...what I do depends on my skills and knowledge, don't get me wrong, even in the Information Technology sector there are still probably favoritism for thin people, but if you can't write code, or analyze problems of fix errors, being thin gets you no where.

Also, I will play devils advocate here, what if something happens and you gain all of your weight back? There is NO FULL proof with weight loss surgery. Will you be very concerned that your promotions will disappear?

I know you feel good and I am happy for you and that you are getting all of this attention now, but -- honestly I would be worried.

Edited by NaNa

I hate to say it but I have to agree with Pretty Thick1 on this one I too work in the Oil and Gas industry and have for years and I too live it Texas and she is completely correct on how women that are larger and women that are tiny get treated. It is a mans world in this kind of industry. We have a skinny little girl who comes in late, leaves early half ass does her job but she dresses real cute, and flirts like no ones business and in good shape..its sad but true guys.

Hi Nana:

Fortunately I started at this company at my highest weight (244) and was given a nice starting wage. They have financed 1/2 of my bachelor's degree and the first $25k of my MBA. I got my band, two cars and a house from this company. I'll accept the additional perks that I've lost the weight...if I gain it back, I was happy here to begin with, so no harm no foul.

Call it what you will, but you as well as most people who have opted for WLS know that weight descrimination is rampant - you just never know what form it's going to take. In my case, it happens to be employment in a male-dominated industry and if being more attractive gets me ahead, then fine...I think I have some ground to make up anyway.

Ok, Pretty,

I know you are thrilled with your weight loss and I am happy for you also....but...

Honestly -- I would NOT want to work for your company, and hopefully ALL companies are NOT like this in Texas!!

This is screaming discrimination, I understand that you are riding "high" on your new found "perks" for slimming down, but this kind of "special attention" saddens me.

I've also worked as a project lead and I would NOT dare treat others with "perks" just because they've lost weight, I treat obese and slim people fairly.

The only thing I may have a problem with if someone does not keep themselves clean, dress professionally or have bad hygiene and both thin and obese people can both have those traits.

I work as software engineer and THANKFULLY ...what I do depends on my skills and knowledge, don't get me wrong, even in the Information Technology sector there are still probably favoritism for thin people, but if you can't write code, or analyze problems of fix errors, being thin gets you no where.

Also, I will play devils advocate here, what if something happens and you gain all of your weight back? There is NO FULL proof with weight loss surgery. Will you be very concerned that your promotions will disappear?

I know you feel good and I am happy for you and that you are getting all of this attention now, but -- honestly I would be worried.

Thank you Rayanne!!!! Hugs!!! If you don't live in Texas or have limited familiarity with the Petroleum industry, you can't understand where I'm coming from. Don't judge. I'm getting by the way professional women here have to.

I hate to say it but I have to agree with Pretty Thick1 on this one I too work in the Oil and Gas industry and have for years and I too live it Texas and she is completely correct on how women that are larger and women that are tiny get treated. It is a mans world in this kind of industry. We have a skinny little girl who comes in late, leaves early half ass does her job but she dresses real cute, and flirts like no ones business and in good shape..its sad but true guys.

One more note: It's been a while since you were at your heaviest Nana...I'm sure your work life is drastically different (even with a new employer) than it was before you got your very first band.

To advocate here..I have been on both sides of this. I have been a thinner woman working in a mans world. (The gaming industry) and I have been a larger woman working in a mans world.

I have been a larger woman working in the corporate world and a larger woman who has owned her own business.

I understand totally 100% where PT is coming from. She is right about working in a mans world, men are visual creatures and Texas...come on now it's home of the beauty pageants!

When I was younger and thinner and not as knowledgeable as I am today, if I repeated what the owner of the company who was an older larger woman said to the men standing around they listened to me and acted on my words. I was not the owner I didn't pull the strings but they were so busy looking at me it was easy to get them to do what we needed them to do. It was kind of a good cop bad cop routine and it worked for a bunch of ladies trying to run a business in a mans world.

As an older woman who has rounded out so to speak, I have worked in several high profile corporate offices and while they all take my knowledge and education seriously, I know it's because I have a pretty face to carry my message home and that's why they pay attention to me. It also helps that most corporations now have women at the top and not just men. Let me tell you ladies though that pretty face and body works with women at the top as much as the men and can also backfire if another woman feels threatened by you.

Ah so that said...I'll say it again...take 'em for all they got cause your a smart awesome woman that knows how to work it!

i honestly will be working it once I lose weight thats the world I live in

Hi Nana:

Fortunately I started at this company at my highest weight (244) and was given a nice starting wage. They have financed 1/2 of my bachelor's degree and the first $25k of my MBA. I got my band, two cars and a house from this company. I'll accept the additional perks that I've lost the weight...if I gain it back, I was happy here to begin with, so no harm no foul.

Call it what you will, but you as well as most people who have opted for WLS know that weight descrimination is rampant - you just never know what form it's going to take. In my case, it happens to be employment in a male-dominated industry and if being more attractive gets me ahead, then fine...I think I have some ground to make up anyway.

Ok, Pretty,

Pretty,

I am NOT doubting what you are saying, I am just saying it is very sad. I've seen this type of behavior in "Administrative" type roles where secretaries HAD to be "thin" to work for their boss.

Or the very young "cute" skinny college graduates get perks by being thin and flirting with other male co-workers...I get that...I know it exist every where...

Oh yea of course I was treated better by colleagues, or by men who work in nearby offices, I used to get have to fight guys off, so I get that part, but what I don't get is bosses treated you extremely better after you'd been working there for years, I could see if this was a NEW job, I honestly would get angry...but that's just me.

But I had NO idea that it happens to this level which IS sad....

okay besides all of the above which i truly believe too, i have been discrimentated against on many occassions, i think that pretty thick is just trying to share the fact that her and her love can be in the same state working. remember she just told us SHE IS IN LOVE. so whatever the case maybe congrat's on getting the boyfriend in the same state. yeah

Sad but true it happens in everyday life, ever been passed over at the bar getting a drink so they can get the skinny girl next to me, or at dinner...if u honestly think about it why are we going thru this journey? Yes I get the want to be healthy thing but also isn't it so we are noticed again and not just passed over? That's just me I guess