Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started smoking after lapband...

I know this may sound weird to everyone, but i started smoking. I was banded August 15, 2013 and it has been succesful, down 70 lbs. and I am feeling great. Then about a month ago I started smoking again. The weird thing is, its been 20 years since I last smoked. Weird. I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else???? :wacko:

I quit 4 years ago. This makes perfect sense to me because when I quit smoking, I turned to food. Now that I quit food, I could easily turn to smoking. I have heard that we tend to trade one habit for another.

Congrats on your weight loss! You are doing really good.

I am an ex smoker but why give up one bad habit to turn to another. Our goals are to get healthy and while you may be enjoy smoking you are just giving your body more issues then needed. I never have given up that urge to smoke and it will always be there but try to quit again its not good for you.

GREAT job on your weight loss! I was a smoker before being banded and I've noticed that the amount I smoke has gone up a little since having the procedure. When I notice myself feeling hungry I go for the first thing I know will take my mind off of it. They say when you get that urge to do what ever to keep yourself busy for 5 min. and the urge will go away.....about the time it takes me to smoke.:-) Once I reach my goal weight, I'm going to quit, I guess I'll vaccum for 5 min. instead:-)

Former full smoker now occasional smoker here.

I can't remember where I read it as I have been reading so much info online since the surgery, but I read where one doctor said he could almost guarantee that someone who resumed smoking after WLS would be in with stomach or ulcer issues.

Here is a link to another site that addresses the issue. I copied and pasted the info below the link.

http://www.advancedbariatriccare.com/?id=FQlapBand

Can I go back to smoking after surgery?

No. Not only does smoking lead to various diseases, but it also stimulate gastric juices, which can irritate the lining of the stomach and cause gastritis and ulcers in the stomach and small intestine.

In figure, why take my chances, I already have a foreign object around my stomach. I also know, though, how hard it is to stop.

I too gained an awful lot of weight after stopping the smoking..not the 10 or so lbs. that most people gain...I gained more than 60 lbs. and I was already overweight to begin with. I am lucky in that I don't have any urges to go back to it but I do worry about what new addiction may surface. Fortunately, I'm not much of a drinker but I do know that it's easy to substitute one bad habit for another. If you can, please try to stop smoking now before it becomes more difficult.

Congratulations on the weight loss!!

Maybe try giving your office psychologist a call if you think you may have moved from one addiction (food) to another (smoking). If this is the case you may need some support in quitting smoking and not reverting to another outlet.

None of us are perfect, and none of this journey is easy. Focus on your health, and what that means to you.

Best wishes in the New Year!

This is called transference -- trading one addiction for another. I hope you can get some help to stop now so you can be healthy in every way! Put those medical professionals to work; they want you to be a success and they may have some particular strategies in mind for this. Best wishes to you!

yes I think it's common.. I even started gambling years ago while on a Rx diet pill.. it made me crazy.. I still like to play poker but am in total control.. smoking is another past habit.. quit cold turkey and hate the smell of it... My husband still smokes even after having esophageal cancer (duh) but I can't control his health only my own... You can quit again you just have to be really strong..

i was a smoker too. but i quit on april 17,2009. the reason i remember this date is because it was the day i learned my kidneys were failing. since i was in the hospital for 2 weeks and my daughter was pregnant i couldn't find one reason to resume smoking after my release from the hospital. my kidneys are perfectly healthy. they shut down because of being dehydrated from a illness. i still have a craving for a cigarette. especially with the same triggers such as frustration or anger hits me that made me eat. i will sit down in my chair and actually reach for the pack of cig's. it's a strong urge. but i know smoke 1 and i might as well give in. like potato chips i couldn't stop with just one. same with food. the same triggers make me think of the most fattening foods i could fix myself and be oh so happy, but only for awhile. i stay away from food as i do cigarettes when those triggers hit. get to know your triggers. i bet they are the same for smoking as in eating. good luck be healthy walk instead of smoking.

I had quit in 1984. I would never have wanted to pick up another cigarette. Plus, the cost is amazing! The only addiction I picked up was shopping for clothes for ME!!! Your new clothes will stink of smoke! Best wishes, Karen..aka.kll724

I know this may sound weird to everyone, but i started smoking. I was banded August 15, 2013 and it has been succesful, down 70 lbs. and I am feeling great. Then about a month ago I started smoking again. The weird thing is, its been 20 years since I last smoked. Weird. I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else???? :wacko:

Congratulations on your weight loss!

I am actually attempting to QUIT smoking a month before I get my surgery... I've had 4 cigarettes in 3 days so thats good since I was a pack a day smoker. I totally see where you are coming from though because my biggest concern is if quitting smoking will slow my weight loss because of my oral fixation. We will have to see... but if I have to cave in to one, I'd rather go back to being a smoker than a fatty. Good luck! I hope you find the strength to quit again!

I am actually attempting to QUIT smoking a month before I get my surgery... I've had 4 cigarettes in 3 days so thats good since I was a pack a day smoker. I totally see where you are coming from though because my biggest concern is if quitting smoking will slow my weight loss because of my oral fixation. We will have to see... but if I have to cave in to one, I'd rather go back to being a smoker than a fatty. Good luck! I hope you find the strength to quit again!

That oral fixation is where sipping your Water comes in! When you are wanting something in your mouth, make it water! Much healthier, too! Best wishes and happy New Year to you! Karen...aka..kll724

Just gonna say it, your fixation on food made it easier to go back to smoking, but I don't think the band had anything to do with it. I'll never start back. I know this because to start back I have to make the conscious decision to smoke the 1st one. I did that once thinking I had control, til I went to quit again and realized I had less control than I thought. Not again.