Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I am new to the board. I just made the call today to the surgeon and started my journey. I go the 13th of jan for my initial visit. Then 9long months of classes, psych appt, and all the craziness gets real for me. I am a married mom of 6 kids. And I know this is not going to be easy. Is there anyone else just starting the journey? Or am I the lone one? I am really looking for a buddy to go thru this with! Thanks in advance! Misty Raine

Hi Misty!

I started the journey a month ago...Had my 1st appointment with my surgeon last week, was told that I have to lose only 15 lbs. prior to my surgery date...and that my insurance requires a 6 month wait period. so I think I'm looking at a summer surgery date.

It's nice to meet you...we can be buddies if you want?

:)

Absolutely!! I am looking at prob a sept/Oct surgery date.... But I am super stoked! Just wish it was soon!

It will be here before we know it!

Im starting my new way of eating on new years day...excited!

Hey guys, newbie here.

I don't have a date yet but I'm going to ask my primary doctor on jan 6 so I hope to be referred to a doctor soon.

Let's support each other!

There are new members coming here everyday...you will never be alone, that's for sure...there is something for everybody.

This place can get confusing at times....just remember your Doctor and staff should have the say as to what you should and should not do....

Coming here s to read and see how other people in the same boat as you are doing, and to encourage each other....

You'll learn how to let the other BS slide off your back....

You will also read of people who are having major complications, and also those who are anti-WLS...don't let this scare you...In My opinion this is a very small percentage, and after a while, you can learn to read between the lines and see that 1/2 of them, NOT ALL, have either brought this upon themselves, or have had other issues not WLS related that spilled over to their weight loss....

Good Luck.....This ha been the BEST decision I have ever made in my life.....it not only changed my life, but SAVED it as well...literally.

Welcome all. I was banded July 1 2013 down 78 lbs by far the best decision of my life. Grateful I found this site some people

here are amazing and so motivating . I can't explain how the band has changed my thinking as well which is why I think I have been so successful. I follow the drs rules Protein small bites n portions no drinking while eating my Vitamins. I also got the gym 5-7 days a week combination of cardio j weight training. I started at 297 wearing size 22/24 I am

Now 217 wearing a size 16 . And only 6 months out . There will be some emotions along the way especially as you get closer to surgery I was scared to go through with it but then I said if I d nothing in letting bad things happen to me as well so let me try and do the healthy thing. I have been on a diet since age 10 27 tears of dieting at at age 38 I decided to get banded actually got the approval on my 38 bday. I still go out to dinner eat way less and don't really drink alcohol but the drinking is by my chose. Good luck and we are here for you !!!!

So refreshing to hear from everyone. Thank you for all of the advice. This is life changing for sure...:)

Hi I am new to the board. I just made the call today to the surgeon and started my journey. I go the 13th of jan for my initial visit. Then 9long months of classes, psych appt, and all the craziness gets real for me. I am a married mom of 6 kids. And I know this is not going to be easy. Is there anyone else just starting the journey? Or am I the lone one? I am really looking for a buddy to go thru this with! Thanks in advance! Misty Raine

Welcome, Mistyraine! As B-52 said, new people are always joining and always welcome. Even tho' we are hosts, doesn't make us experts. We will often say "check with your surgeon's office". We can provide advice, but we are not doctors and can't, or shouldn't, give medical advice! We can and will cheer you on, and might tell you that you need to stop doing something that we know is not helpful to your weightloss. But, usually, this advice is giving in a friendly and helpful way. Once again, welcome aboard. Jump in and join the discussions! Karen...aka.kll724

Hi there -- here's to 2014, a year of health! For me getting the band was about choosing myself and my health before everything else -- and of course when I'm happy and healthy every one around me benefits. My family is very supportive but I just kept putting everything and every one else first -- until finally one day I realized I had to do something about my weight issues. So glad I found out about the band and then followed through with all the research, appointments, pre-op protocol, etc. Best wishes to each of you!

Congrats on beginning the journey to a whole new you! It is a wild ride getting through all of the testing and requirements but always remember why you made the decision you did and what your goal is at the end.

I was banded on 9/19 (only a few months ago) and it has already had such a tremendous impact on me and my 2 small kids and my ever supportive hubby. Life is already so different ( in the best of ways)....I especially love the extra energy I have and when I look in the mirror I am (finally) beginning to see a smaller me. My confidence is so much improved and I really feel good just about ME!

The weight loss is just a part of this journey and I am happy to say I have lost 65 pounds. Choosing the band with plication was the best decision ever.

You will find tremendous support here and some great people...but like B-52 said, your doctor and their team should ALWAYS be the people you listen to first and foremost.

You will also find some negative nellies on here, at times, do not let them scare you away. If you have questions, silly or not, ask your doctor and get clarification from them.

And my most important piece of advice, in the few months of this new lifestyle, is to remember that this is a JOURNEY not a quick road trip. We did not gain our weight over night and it is not going to come off over night. Try not to compare yourself to others here. Rates of weight loss are so individual and the type of surgery and your body type play such an important and individual role in your outcomes....but always remember....YOU CAN AND WILL BE ABLE TO DO IT...NO MATTER HOW HARD IT MAY GET AT TIMES!

Wishing the best of New Year's and all the best in 2014....it's going to be a wonderful year! :)

I'm a newbie too! I've had the surgeon consult, dietitian visit, and psych eval. All paperwork was submitted to insurance on 12/19/13 so I'm waiting for response to see if it will be covered. I started a low calorie diet 1 week ago and I've lost 7 lbs!

The founder of this site published a book that I highly recommend. It's called The Big Book on the Lapband. Has lots of info on all stages of the process. Good luck to you. I'm happy to be 1 of your buddies as so far I've been mostly reading posts. It will be nice to share our journeys.

I'm so excited to begin this journey. I only wish I was as far long in the process as many of you are! Lol.... I know it takes time... And I'm trying to be patient. When I read the stories, I only pray I'm as successful as so many are! Thanks for supporting me thru this even if I'm not as close to the surgery date as y'all are. I just don't want to give up going thru the 8 month process.