Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Progress & In Need Of Support & Ideas

So here I am six months after lapband surgery and “only” down about 25 lbs. I know it's alot on the scale of life but not where I want to be. Most of the loss was in the first weeks after surgery when I was on liquids. I have lost about 7 lbs in the past 3 months, I am getting discouraged and need a swift kick in the butt and looking to the forum for it.

My brain knows the band is just a tool and it’s up to me to pick the right food choices which I do 99% of the time. Have I had a cookie, a bowl of ice cream or French fries in the last half year? Yes, did I overdo it, No. I am eating grapefruit and cottage cheese for Breakfast as I type this, my lunch will be a salad with chicken and ½ fat dressing, I will snack on a banana and have a 4oz portion of baked ham with a ½ cup of potato and vegetables for dinner. I have a husband who supports my choices and encourages my progress.

So here I sit, knowing that I despise exercise but know it’s the key to a kick start. I bought a juicer, I don’t like vegetable juice, it takes up a lot of real estate on my kitchen counter. Six months ago I was so excited I really expected to be down about twice my loss to date, 50 lbs was my gaol. I read about other people’s success stories and need some advice about meals, exercise and how to get that switch in my brain to flip so I “get it”.

Meals, portions are small and within what my surgeon recommends, lean meats, lots of Protein, low fat. I work at a desk job and have a 1 hour commute each way so my days are long and don’t always allow for time to join a fitness class or gym (an excuse - I know). I have had two fills and have frequent bouts of “stuck food” so I am at about my capacity and do feel full with each meal.

Bring it on people, give me pointers and advice, give me encouragement and give me that shove to get this ball rolling again.

I need your help.

I think I'm a slow loser too. One of the hardest things to do is stop comparing your progress to someone else's. Trust me! We are all different and some will simply lose faster than others. Next, are you tracking your calories? I use MyFitnessPal to track everything and it keeps me in check. I do think exercise is very important and my doctor suggests doing something for at least 30 minutes every day. Also, take your measurements on a regular basis. You are probably losing inches and not even realize it. Take pictures too. They are a great reminder of how far you've come. Last, don't give up. You got this!

Like Steph says, track your calories if your not already. I quit tracking them and my weight loss went to hell. I also have to make myself walk and use my Bowflex. It sounds like you are doing a lot of things right so I understand your discouragement. Just don't give up!

Six months.....down 25 pounds....sounds like a pound a week to me. Why are you fretting?!

It may just take you longer than others to get to your goal....BUT you can get there! It took me four YEARS! So, while I can't be any expert on fast loss, I can tell you that if you continue to see your surgeon, keep discussing with him/her your eating habits, and get to optimal adjustment for you, THIS THING WORKS!

You'll often read on here not to compare your loss with anyone elses....and that is so true! As you can, start a walking routine...or ANY routine. It will definately help. I work long hours at times too....and IF you make physical activity part of a routine, you just do it....kinda like going to work, taking a shower, etc, etc.

Heres a link to my 4 year post op thread... I lost .65 pounds per week....so compare your 1 pound to that if you want to compare. Best wishes on your continued success. :)

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/171714-my-surgery-was-4-years-ago-today-feeling-blessed/

Frequent bouts of being stuck doesn't mean your band has correct restriction. I usually means too large a bite or eating too fast. I can get stuck on one bite. As stated, write it all down for a week then go back and look at it to see how you're doing. Write down every bite. Those tastes can add up. You should get full on about a cup of food. Avoid slider foods totally. They don't give you the full sensation and will pack on calories. Do some sort of activity even if its just taking a walk on your lunch break. Try replacing one of your Snacks with a bottle of flavored water. Myfitnesspal and Loseit are both good apps to help you with tracking if you are not already using one. Visit the forum every day and get words of encouragement and tips. It really does help. Studies show that people who join support groups lose 50 percent more weight. I've resolved to stay off the scales and follow the rules and just see how it goes. Sometimes I think the scales are less our friends that we think.

I don't see a lot of Protein in those food choices. Eat eggs and some other meat for breakfast. Skip the salad at lunch and make chicken salad and dinner eat some decent meat not ham because it will cause you to retain Fluid and a vegetable. Don't snack on bananas but have the cottage cheese then or a Protein Shake. I know that nothing is off limits but I think you are not eating enough Protein through out the day. Snack on turkey breast lunch meat or something other then that. Have oatmeal in the morning made with almond milk and stir in egg whites just as it gets done and it will be creamy. During your weight loss phase you want to try to stay away from a lot of carbs and fruit. Fruit turns to sugar which turns to fat and you want to burn fat. The only way you are going to kick start your weight is eat more protein. You are at a desk job so you have to move. If you don't move you wont lose. It's up to you to decorate the house you already have the frame.

In my opinion, I think losing slowly will allow skin and your body's elasticity to catch up with the smaller, slower weight loss.

My friend lost 40 lbs in two years from LB.

My sister had gastric in 2005 and lost 80 lbs at first in a very short period of time. (She would have still had excess skin but her arms, legs, etc show no sign of extra skin. She has had a Tummy Tuck and breast implants).

My LB is scheduled for 12/6/13. I would like to lose 1-2 lbs a week or two. Prefer slower pace.

a loss is a loss...sometimes larger BMI people lose faster (we have more to lose)....as i see it, a loss is a loss....and as long as one is losing (and please make note that if you are losing INCHES and buying smaller clothes, that means you are losing.....no matter what the scale says or does not say..

its a journey....its a process...its a day in and a day out life we live now.. there is not time table to when you get to the number/goal you want..its not a race..what matters is that you make yourself healthy and get well..and it seems you are doing just that....

now that i have about 50 or less to lose now, (the scale is slowly moving) but the inches are still coming off and that is me LOSING......just like you.. and i also work a desk job..but i drink so much, i walk all day to the bathroom.....each step counts :)

remember, eat more calories than you burn off will not let you lose weight, no matter what WLS one has...eat good foods, eat your allotted dr recommended size, exercise......and believe in you..you CAN do this..if you want

Desk jobs can be so hard on the body. How about getting up and out for ten minutes? No one will even miss you. Walk for ten minutes and when you have that down as a daily practice add another ten. If you have four of these breaks a day you will be a 40 minute a day walker. It really does add up. So good for managing stress and increased activity may be just what you need.

Some one already mentioned My Fitness Pal. I like plugging in my exercise, though I don't pay attention to the increase in calories MFP assigns for exercise. It's a great way to track food intake as well. I am sometimes surprised by how those calories add up.

Good luck to you -- glad you're here on the forum.

I'm a slow loser and behind the mean in terms of postop weight loss. But I'm way ahead of the mean in terms of happiness! I'm almost 50 pounds down at 8 months postop. I see others from my cohort who are at -70 or more. It would be great to be a faster loser, but I'm not willing to sacrifice a super-tight band and the possible longterm complications to get there.

Still, I'm over the moon at how my weightloss curve keeps going down. And I reflect on how it took me two YEARS to lose 50 pounds with non-surgical dieting vs. eight months with the lapband. I also have a keen recollection of the minute I stopped that traditional diet and how quickly I regained those 50 pounds.

Since I no longer diet (in the traditional sense of the word), I have no fear that these pounds will come racing on back. So I keep sticking to my lapband rules, and my weight drops...slowly, yes, but it does drop.

I do notice a more-rapid drop when I burn more calories through dedicated exercise (no surprise there, right?) so I've added biking (on the weekends when I can hit the bike path--I'm up to 12 km a day now and loving it) and elliptical (in my flat) to my daily walk on my lunch hour.

Anyway, I empathize with your impatience, but just know that we'll get there. And, more importantly, we will stay there, thanks to our lapbands.

Do me a favor and the next time you are at the grocery store pick up a 25 pound bag of sugar or dog food. I want you to see just how much that is. The loss is awesome!!!

I also HATE exercising and work at a desk job. Here are some things that I did to get myself moving at work:

1. I gave the elevator the day off - I work on the 8th floor and walked the stairs every morning & evening. Yes it took some time before I could do all 8 floors.

2. I would go to the bathroom on different floors (more stairs)

3. I set an alarm on my phone that went off every hour reminding me to get up from my desk and take a five or ten minute walk around.

I hope all these suggestions help. And don't be down on the 25 pounds, that is such a great loss. I know you can do this!!

I am two months out and have not lost since post-op :( I had a completely empty band after surgery and 2 fills of 2.4 cc in total.

I also have a 1 hour commute each way to work, so I know what you mean. I am tired and not enough time in a day. I try to take a 30 min walk at lunchtime....heck what else are you going to do besides eat and read your email.

I read that most people dont lose until the 3rd fill. Maybe you need a fill? Are you really stuck or just eating to big of bites and too fast? I read on here that most sucessful people eat very tiny bites and chew extremely well. I know I am going to have to get under the 1000 calorie mark in order to lose weight.

It may also be possible that eventually you may have to do low carb? Not really sure....that might be me as well down the line especially for the "losing phase". I know in the past I have only lost weight eating meat and veggies and very little fat. No fruits, no bread, no starchy veggies, no sugar at all.

I am from the same area as you and have self-paid as well, so if this doesnt work I will be poor for nothing :mellow:

I think all the previous posters have pretty much said it all. I just wanted to add my journey for your added support. I was a slow loser as well. I suffer from osteoarthritis; therefore, I can't exercise like many other individuals can. I walked when I could and for most of my journey, I did Water exercises. It took me 2 1/2 years to reach my goal and I'm happy to say I'm still losing and not trying. Granted it is a pound every two months but I'm below goal and am very happy. I have lost a lot of inches that it really amazes me. Throughout this wl journey, there are going to be many times that the scale doesn't move. It doesn't mean that we're doing something wrong, it simply means our bodies have to adjust to the changes that are taking place and from time to time, we do have to change our eating routine. Once that happens, weight loss will begin again. Just be patient, keep getting your adjustments and all will be well. Best wishes for continued success.