Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Months Diet Makes Me Feel It Will Take Forever For Surgery !

The 6mnths diet feels soooo far away, then have the anxiety of praying & hoping insurance approve surgery. Anyone nervous about the long process?

I feel the same way I will be begin my 5 month weight management in two weeks, but I am trying to stay focus on the fact that I will have a little more time before i have surgery.

I am on the other side of this issue as I am just finishing my six months. Insurance required a 6 month managed plan. The Hospital intentionally spread appointments out for me so I could do something every month. The first two months were single appointments, had an intake physical and saw the psych counselor. Month three got serious when I saw the NUT and began my structured diet. I had monthly follow ups with the NUT and exercise physiologist. I had to show I could stick with a program and lose weight, although not a specific amount. I have just finished the required pre surgical classes and have an appointment to see the surgeon on Tuesday. I am hoping for a December date.

At times the six months dragged on. I have felt ready for the surgery for about a month now. But I have learned a lot in the mean time. It is the first time in my life I have stuck with a regimented exercise program and have learned a lot about nutrition. I have also tried a lot of foods that hopefully I will be able to eat after the surgery. I also have learned and tried to put into place routines with eating and exercising that should help me after the surgery. Of course it also helps that I lost 35 pounds along the way.

I will say this forum has helped me understand a lot of the issues, concerns and successes that people are having. In the end I could do with shortening the requirement by a month or two but it has been time well spent.

I've just finished my 6 month requirement and am waiting on insurance approval. It seemed to be one of the longest 6 month periods in my life! People told me it would go by quickly, but it didn't seem to for me. I did learn some good dietary techniques during the 6 month period, but I really don't think that such a long time was necessary. I lost 10-11 pounds, but it was mainly due to being sick, and having some deaths in my family. I'm trying to hold my weight steady until I hear from insurance. I do expect to lose a bit more with the pre-surgical diet if I get approved....crossing my fingers on that!

About to have my last appointment and at first seemed to drag but now can't believe it's finally here! The awaiting approval will feel like another 6 months I'm afraid.

About to have my last appointment and at first seemed to drag but now can't believe it's finally here! The awaiting approval will feel like another 6 months I'm afraid.

My last appointment is December 6 and I cannot wait!!! Hopefully our wait for final approval won't be long :)

I agree with macman. The 6 months seem really long, but I truly feel they are important. I have been thinking about wls for a number of years. Last time I was seriously planning for it was a few years ago. I had a 6 month insurance requirement. I made it through 5 months, lost about 30 pounds and decided not to go through with it. I wasn't ready.

When felt ready this time, I started again. I have followed the requirements provided by my nutritionist probably 95% of the time. I have started walking regularly. I have lost 72 pounds pre-op. This tells me I'm truly ready. Scheduled for thursday morning.

My point is, yes the wait sucks, but use it as an opportunity to learn! Not only about the surgery, but about eating well, exercising, overcoming/combating cravings, etc. You'll make it and do excellent! Best of luck!

Purplefaery you are right about learning a lot about yourself and cravings I now walk every day for at least 40 to 60 minutes, as well as make better choices to what I eat and why I eat it, these times are excellent in preparing you for your pre-surgery you. Although I didn't like it I am entering my 5 month in two weeks and I am looking forward to walking it down. I have been trying different Protein Shakes but don't want to get fixated on one since everyone says your taste buds changed. Hey you began trying any Protein shakes ? I have bought a canister of Unjury .

Yep it seems forever... Like Christmas for a 6 year old on December 15...

But use the time well. You will wnd with a full physical assessment, and the classes can teach you A LOT.

Also... start to get ready...

stop smoking...

reduce caffine to zero

reduce and end carbonated drinks

think, plan and be active, as much as you can

PROMISE not to go through food funerals... start to eat healthy, and you might lose weight! even before surgery

Surgery is a good help, but (IMHO) your real work will be in your own brain...

I started my 6 month requirement in June. My last weigh-in is December 5th. I am hoping that my surgery will be scheduled in December but, right now I am just hoping for an approval. This 6 month time frame has really helped me find a healthy way to eat and wean myself from all the junk food. I have gone through numerous Protein shakes and finally found one that doesn't make me sick. I know that will change after the surgery but I will take it for now. Good luck with your journey. You'll be better prepared at the end of the 6 months.

<p>The 6mnths diet feels soooo far away, then have the anxiety of praying & hoping insurance approve surgery. Anyone nervous about the long process?</p>

I am near the end of my six months a d it has seed endless. I have one more month, but no assurance after that that the insurance will come through. I had to force myself to take things more slowly. To chill. And that hurt my weight loss momentum. Was so enthusiastic, but lost that. Now I maintain a measured cautiousness because I just don't know for sure about the insurance. Been there with you!! Still there for a while. Best.

I am near the end of my six months a d it has seed endless. I have one more month, but no assurance after that that the insurance will come through. I had to force myself to take things more slowly. To chill. And that hurt my weight loss momentum. Was so enthusiastic, but lost that. Now I maintain a measured cautiousness because I just don't know for sure about the insurance. Been there with you!! Still there for a while. Best.

I agree! I was so excited in the beginning and now that I am so nervous about the approval it really set my momentum back. I just won't be excited until I get that approval paper. It's always something with these insurance companies. It would be nice to go into 2014 in either recovery from surgery or an approval :wacko: .

Ahh! The 6 month diet supervision is terrible! The beginning of December will be my 3 month mark. It's even more frustrating knowing that my best friend and I had started this process together. Attended the same seminar, scheduled our Dr. consultations the same day, EVERYTHING! Now she gets to have her procedure in 2 days(her INS doesn't require the supervision period) and I'm still at least 4 months out :'( HOWEVER: I have experienced the 1 wk pre-op liquid diet through her and seen her come to tears due to unpreparedness. I too would've been in her boat had I been having surgery sooner. I have the time to find my Protein shakes(sugar free, lactose free) for my pre-op diet and she did not. Thankfully she managed to find her an approved Protein Shake these last two days and appears to be some-what satisfied.

Yes, it does make for a very long process!! But I can say that in the end, I was happy I had that because I learned so much and I felt I was as prepared as possible when it came time for surgery. You can read more about my 6-month (which actually was a 9 month process) on my blog in my signature if you like. It was full of ups and downs, but it was worth the wait. And like I said, I had the opportunity to read a lot and do a lot of research and get very prepared.

My surgeons office was great with making sure I had all my appointments and tests checked off so that insurance approval was very simple. They put it in and I believe I got the approval 2 days later. Easy as can be. I was on edge though waiting for that approval.

Hang in there! It will be worth it in the end. And since you have to do it anyway, try to make the most of it and take something way from all the classes, appointments, readings, etc.

My last appointment is December 6 and I cannot wait!!! Hopefully our wait for final approval won't be long :)
My last appointment is November 25th. Have been told by insurance lady at office approvals done online and answers received within 10 min. Hoping that's the case!,