Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Scheduled For 12/26 In Pittsburgh....anyone Else Scheduled In December?

I'm scheduled to be banded on 12/26 at Magee-Womens Hospital in Pittsburgh. I started the process last year and backed out the first time. I have resolved some issues and I'm now moving forward. I'm out of my mind nervous but trying to think of all the positives. Last time I weighed in I was 265ish and my goal weight is 150. I read alot about pre-op diets and I havent been told about any pre-op diet. Is this normal??? I was kind of hoping I could eat xmas day, lol, but if not oh well.

Hi K, congratulations on your surgery date. Boxing Day! What an amazing gift you are giving yourself. I just got my band (tomorrow is one week) and I am so happy. For me it's about choosing myself and a happy, healthy future. Glad you're here on the forum. I think every one is nervous leading up to this..... And as for pre-op diets, a lot of people don't have one. Every surgeon has their own protocol. Best wishes!

Hi K, congratulations on your surgery date. Boxing Day! What an amazing gift you are giving yourself. I just got my band (tomorrow is one week) and I am so happy. For me it's about choosing myself and a happy, healthy future. Glad you're here on the forum. I think every one is nervous leading up to this..... And as for pre-op diets, a lot of people don't have one. Every surgeon has their own protocol. Best wishes!

Hi K, going to be banded at Magees 12/27. I wasn't given a pre op diet either which I see on here a lot of people do.

I'm scheduled to get my band on December 18th in Louisville, KY. I'm thinking Christmas will be my first day off of postop liquid diet and I will be able to eat smooth, mashed foods. Yay! Good Luck to you, hope to see you on here more.

Hi and congrats! I get banded on Monday... As for pre op my dr is havering me do the 2 week Protein Shake and the day before is strictly Clear Liquids. I would def ask!

My surgery date is the 27th and I start a 2 week liquid diet on the 12th. I'm thinking if I'm really good the whole time I can have a little Christmas dinner. I guess I can double check with my surgeon when I go in on the 9th.

Hello there, Wow it's great to see someone from my area on here! I saw your location and am also from western PA!! However, I am just beginning the process, I have decided on Lap Band surgery. Can you tell me a little about your initial visit to the doctor. I am scheduled to go to an informative meeting on December 5th. Back in 2008 I began the process, but decided to hold off and wait, we were trying for another child. I remember meeting with the nurse and then with the psychologist but that was when she told me that it may be a good idea to not have the surgery since I had some doubts and was actively trying to conceive. Just wondering if anything has changed. How long from the initial visit to the actual surgery? I am 37 and weigh 297 and am 5ft 9in, I'm hoping to lose weight and have better health. Hope to hear from you!

Im from pittsburgh. Dr Anita Courcoulas at Magee was my surgeon...love her. I did not have a preop diet either. I was banded in June. Keep in touch...good luck

Originally from the "Burgh" and my surgery was at Jefferson by Century III. I had no pre-op diet. Doctor group was Hope Bariatics.

I originally started this process back in 2012 completed the lifestyle program, met with Dr. Corcoulas, had all my pre-op appts (EKG, upper gi, psych, nutrition) finished with the exception of my blood work, physical and then the nerves took over and I backed out. Fast forward to this summer that I had enough courage to start the process over. So again all of the pre-op appts have been completed with the exception of my physical and bloodwork, I did not have to repeat the upper gi (thank goodness) and the lifestyle program. I'm not looking forward to the upper gi the day after surgery. My surgery was originally scheduled for 12/26 with Dr. Corcoulas @ Magee Womens Hospital however I decided to switch doctors to Dr. McCloskey and am now scheduled on 12/27. Dr. M is the only doctor currently doing plication along with the lap band, she is running a study that I'm now part of. Unfortunately I won't know if i got the plication or not until the study is over (3 years). I have no pre-op diet but I'm starting to try to limit myself to what and how much I'm eating. I will meet with Dr. McCloskey on 12/10 to watch a video, finish the blood work and physical.

My initial appts were pretty quick with Dr. Corcoulas. I knew quite a bit about what I was getting into, researched quite a bit and have had friends that have gone with gastric bypass.

I have recently been looking for a Protein shake for my week of full liquids and a friend recommended About Time which is a local company. The shake I tried was the chocolate one and contained 24g of Protein. Tastes like a pretty weak chocolate milk even my kids tasted it and didnt spit it out lol.

It's nice to see other local banders.

JennieT311 looks like we are having surgery the same day at the same place :)

I am being banded at Magee, too! My date is Dec 2nd. Who is your surgeon? I have Dr. Hamad.

Oh, just saw you have Dr. M. Dr. Hamad is also doing the plication study, so I joined the study and had my research tests done today, a dexascan and a resting metabolic rate measurement.

I like pure Protein chocolate shakes, there good. I also got Peanut Butter chocolate whey Protein powder thats also good.

When i was banded they werent offering plication just yet, i would of for sure got it with the band.

I think you will be fine with the upper gi following surgery , i was all messed up barely remember getting it done.

One thing to know is after surgery for follow up appts you will not see your surgeon, you will see the physician assistant. I insisted i see my surgeon at my next appt but have not seen her since discharged from magee. I would like to see her more, not always the PA. This can be a question for Dr. M on your nect visit.....who will you see for aftercare? I had to put my foot down to see my surgeon again, usually they dont see you if everythings ok.

Best wishes on your journey

I'm scheduled to be banded on 12/26 at Magee-Womens Hospital in Pittsburgh. I started the process last year and backed out the first time. I have resolved some issues and I'm now moving forward. I'm out of my mind nervous but trying to think of all the positives. Last time I weighed in I was 265ish and my goal weight is 150. I read alot about pre-op diets and I havent been told about any pre-op diet. Is this normal??? I was kind of hoping I could eat xmas day, lol, but if not oh well.

I was just banded at Magee in 11/4 and they screwed it up so I was rebanded on 11/6. It was my worst nightmare but thankfully I am doing great now. Who is your surgeon?

Hey we are in the same ball game! I am also going to Magee's and my scheduled surgery date is January 2! I just finished my 6 month program now I am waiting for the final approval from the insurance company. How long did it take you to hear back from them?

For the diet, I talked about it with the nutritionist and basically all physicians are different. I think they should be contacting you soon about any blood work or tests you need prior to surgery. They should also tell you about a pre-op diet.