Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Adoption

Again thank you all for the congrats and kind words. It's nice to know that there are others going through or that have gone through the same experiences.

To update on the 7 year old girl, it didn't happen for us. DHS ended up deciding to pair her with her brother. Come to find out here brother was tribal so they will have to be in a tribal home. My wife and I are far from tribal and therefore it wasnt an option for us. Sad but obviously wasnt meant to be.

What will be, will be. I pray that they find a good home for 7 year old and her brother!

I will say when that judge said the word congratulations, a slew of emotions over took me. It was an amazing experience. I'm not a very outwardly emotional man but when they started asking if I accept that she will be my forever daughter and am I up to the challenge, I may have had a little extra liquid in my eyes. So proud and honored to have been granted such a responsibility of loving this little girl all her life.

Sending good thoughts for all of you, and the other child who will be in another home. Meanwhile, I think It's a real gift for your daughter to have you guys to herself. My parents had over a dozen people with us on and off when I was growing up. Even though I was adopted as a baby it brought up issues of status and permanence for me. When we adopted our son I immediately wanted to do it again but then we realized just having him was what was right for us. All families are different. Your daughter is so lucky and I'm very happy for all of you!

Congratulations!! I adopted my son Nicholas when he was 2....but my parents where his specialized foster parents. My parents had him from 2 months old until he stole my heart and I just couldn't imagine my life without him.

Because my son has disabilities, his adoption process fairly easy.

My son is now 8 and is the love of life...the center of my universe!!

My wife and I adopted our sons, a pair of biological brothers, from DCF when they were 5 and 6. A month after the adoption was finalized, we were pregnant with our daughter. From no kids to three plus we had an addition built on the house that year. That was the year my hair turned gray. The life of our family has been worth every one of those gray hairs and much much more.

All the best from our family to yours.

Congratulations Junkie!!

Today was a big day. We finalized our adoption and the Judge happily signed off on it making it official forever. I'm now the forever father to a precious 5 year old girl. Pretty amazing feeling. Thank you all for your kind words. It truly is one of the best experiences of my life.

Congratulations, Junkie!! Adoption is so lovely! We have six kids, and two are adopted. Our oldest was adopted via foster care, and our fourth child was a private agency adoption. We're anxious to adopt again, but I'm taking a little "get well" time before we resubmit our life book to our agency. I'm scheduled for a sleeve December 3, so maybe in a year or so we'll go active again.

I read your other posts about your little one's history and the other kiddos you're thinking about. You might look at Karen Purvis' book The Connected Child. It's an excellent book that addresses some of the attachment stuff that comes along with kiddos coming out of hard places. If you're a Christ follower, there's a Bible study that can be used as an accompaniment called Created to Connect. You can find both of those resources at Tapestryministry.org.

I've attached a picture of my kiddos just because they're so awesome! They're the reason I'm opting for WLS. Gotta keep up and live forever! :) Congrats again on your growing family!

post-165959-0-76341600-1385429661_thumb.jpg

Congrats on your adoption!! I adopted two boys when they were 1 & 2. They're now 12 & 13 and it was the best decision I've ever made. They have brought so much joy and fulfillment to my life. I wish you the best with your new daughter.

You know it's funny, when people ask my wife or I about adoption, we usually get some sort of "really, you guys adopted?" Yes, yes we did. It's amazing really how small of group is out there that is willing to adopt children. We had two foster children that were much older for 10 weeks along with the younger two. That is 10 weeks of my life I don't remember. I just remember laundry, a gallon of milk a day, homework and more laundry. So to those of you that have 5, 6 or 7 kids, my hats off to you and best wishes are being sent your way. Its amazing how much of a full time job it is to raise a large family but the reward comes every time you hear the sweet and innocent laughter coming from down the hallway when those brief few moments happen that they are all getting along and having fun. I treasure the little things like hearing my daughters foot steps coming down the hall when she wakes up in the morning because I know that I have provided her with a warm and loving home and she no longer has to hide in the shadows waiting for the mean people to disappear. She loves my wife and I because she wants to, not because she has to or is forced to. It's just hard to explain that kind of feeling of love and trust to anyone that hasn't adopted or fostered. While I am not an advocate for the system necessarily, which honestly we had good experiences with, my wife and I have become huge promoters of adoption. It's been fun getting to interconnect with other families and share out experiences and stories. Hopefully our journeys will lead someone else into looking at adoption as an option.

I have not read the Connected Child. I have heard it makes for a good and insightful read. We have been working very close with a counselor both individually and for the family to help with all of the changes and adaptations we have and are going through. I have been reading some of Craig Groeschel's books to help find some deeper insight into myself and learn ways to be a better leader of our home. Connected Child is next on my list though.

Lol...5, 6 or 7 kids. Omg, I adopted 1...and as a single parent with a son with disabilities one is good!! My parents however biologically had 5 kids and adopted 7 (no it does not seem to be cheaper by the dozen). All of the biological kids are all adults (my twin and I are 47 and the youngest is 40)...the adopted kids ages range from 35 to the youngest at 3 years of age...most of the adopted kids have some major physical disability (ranging from my sisters with Down's, my sister who was born with an under developed brain, my brother who was born without an anus etc.). Makes for a crazy house at holidays that's for sure!!!