Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG October 2013 Post-ops

So question' date=' I'm one week post-op tomorrow, and my scale hasn't moved at all. I've done really well staying hydrated, getting all my Protein in as the doc said and doing a lot of walking. Is this normal? I didn't expect to loose anything significant this week, but only taking in 300-400 calories a day, I did expect a lb or two.[/quote']

Totally normal. My scale didn't move much until week three. I had a lot of Fluid from the ivs. Just jeep following the plan, and don't weigh yourself more than once a week. I weighed myself a lot, but the daily fluctuations just bothered me, so I no longer focus on the scale so much.

One week post op today! What a week...I have gone through a vast range of physical and emotional feelings.

The 3rd or 4th day after surgery saw me hit a "oh no - what have I gone and done to myself" moment. Thankfully, it has passed. (It kinda reminded me of the 3 day baby blues some moms get after having a baby).

It was a tad scary. I really began to feel quite down and questioned myself - the enormity of what I had done to my body took hold. I now feel so much better and the months of research and decision making suddenly made sense again. The way I have battled through life being obese became clear once more as the anesthetic fog wore off, and I realised again that what I had done, was in fact, given myself a most precious gift.

My first week of my Fluid post-op diet has gone well. Been getting in all my Water, (sipping all day) and tolerating the nuts plan of shakes with milk and thin Soups. Have not quite made Protein goals each day but I'm impressed I'm getting in the Water as I've never been a water drinker.

I dont miss my old habit of 5 cups of coffee each day either which is great. (Although will definitely be speaking to my nut about when I can go back to having a 'real' coffee as a treat in the future).

I have no pain as such, but Im tender in the largest wound site where they had to separate the muscle wall a bit larger for the stapling gun/slicer thingy. I haven't taken or needed any pain relief at all since being home.

One thing I am dealing with though. ..is some serious vertigo! Urgh, cant stand it. It comes on at any random time and the room feels like it's spinning - like I've just gotten off my 5th carnival ride. Have spoken to surgeon, he says it'll subside completely after 2-3 weeks. I hope so.

As for numbers, after one week I'm down 5lbs from the morning I had surgery. But I've also lost the additional 7 lbs I gained in iv fluids while in hospital, so 12 lbs lost total.

All the very best to everyone having their surgery this week. :-)

Rachel. RNY: 10/21.

Glad to hear everyone is doing ok. Good luck to all this weeks surgeries. A new life awaits us! :)

One week post op today! What a week...I have gone through a vast range of physical and emotional feelings.

The 3rd or 4th day after surgery saw me hit a "oh no - what have I gone and done to myself" moment. Thankfully, it has passed. (It kinda reminded me of the 3 day baby blues some moms get after having a baby).

It was a tad scary. I really began to feel quite down and questioned myself - the enormity of what I had done to my body took hold. I now feel so much better and the months of research and decision making suddenly made sense again. The way I have battled through life being obese became clear once more as the anesthetic fog wore off, and I realised again that what I had done, was in fact, given myself a most precious gift.

My first week of my Fluid post-op diet has gone well. Been getting in all my Water, (sipping all day) and tolerating the nuts plan of shakes with milk and thin Soups. Have not quite made Protein goals each day but I'm impressed I'm getting in the Water as I've never been a water drinker.

I dont miss my old habit of 5 cups of coffee each day either which is great. (Although will definitely be speaking to my nut about when I can go back to having a 'real' coffee as a treat in the future).

I have no pain as such, but Im tender in the largest wound site where they had to separate the muscle wall a bit larger for the stapling gun/slicer thingy. I haven't taken or needed any pain relief at all since being home.

One thing I am dealing with though. ..is some serious vertigo! Urgh, cant stand it. It comes on at any random time and the room feels like it's spinning - like I've just gotten off my 5th carnival ride. Have spoken to surgeon, he says it'll subside completely after 2-3 weeks. I hope so.

As for numbers, after one week I'm down 5lbs from the morning I had surgery. But I've also lost the additional 7 lbs I gained in iv fluids while in hospital, so 12 lbs lost total.

All the very best to everyone having their surgery this week. :-)

Rachel. RNY: 10/21.

Thank you so much for the update! I have been thinking about you and it sounds like you are getting through things well.

I am completely envious that you are no longer in pain. I still hurt from the two biggest sites....a lot!

Anyway...just wanted to say great job!!!

Chelle

I had a funny 'moment' last night that I wanted to share.

Just to preface......pre-surgery I looooooooooooooove pizza. I would do anything for pizza.< /p>

Ok...so its just me and my 15 yr old son who live here- and he starts doing the "please please mom, can I make a frozen pizza for dinner...please please please"

:blink: Pizza cooking in my house, one week after surgery...ummmmm bad idea.

Anyway...the poor kid has to eat right? So I relented and said yes.....but I told him that he had to cook it, eat it, do all of the dishes that he used, put the leftovers in a baggie in the fridge in a way that I cant see the toppings.....and if there was one crumb of anything ANYWHERE I would ground him for 2 weeks. <_< Um....2 weeks really??? He rolled his eyes, and told me how I exaggerate....but guess what- not a crumb anywhere :)

Cheers to me over-reacting :rolleyes:

Tomorrow I will be 2 weeks post op. I hit my first depression today. I'm not sure if it is the sleep apnea, or the surgery, but I was so exhausted that I slept most of Saturday. Then, today I went to the grocery store and was really tired from doing that. It seems like I am more tired now than last week and that totally sucks. I know it is just the hormones, but I'm down because of this lack of energy and worried that something might be wrong and I don't know it. Like I said, I know it's the hormones and just trying to ride out the storm. :(

Tomorrow I will be 2 weeks post op. I hit my first depression today. I'm not sure if it is the sleep apnea' date=' or the surgery, but I was so exhausted that I slept most of Saturday. Then, today I went to the grocery store and was really tired from doing that. It seems like I am more tired now than last week and that totally sucks. I know it is just the hormones, but I'm down because of this lack of energy and worried that something might be wrong and I don't know it. Like I said, I know it's the hormones and just trying to ride out the storm. :([/quote']

Same thing happend to me when I went grocery shopping at the first post op week... But is normal. Dont be depressed. Try to drink all your Protein and Vitamins This is the time when your body needs it the most. Is going to be a while to feel that you got your normal energies back. I got my energies back at 4 weeks post op. (Recently) I hope you feel better soon.

Starting to get discouraged i am a lap band to RYN I have not lost any weight in a week I have gained 2 lbs. I will be 3 weeks post op tomorrow. I am not having any pain or nausea thank goodness but energy level is bad. Taking a shower I have to sit down for 10 mins after to catch my breath went to church yesterday got ready to leave I felt lightheaded. I am ready to feel normal again.

Starting to get discouraged i am a lap band to RYN I have not lost any weight in a week I have gained 2 lbs. I will be 3 weeks post op tomorrow. I am not having any pain or nausea thank goodness but energy level is bad. Taking a shower I have to sit down for 10 mins after to catch my breath went to church yesterday got ready to leave I felt lightheaded. I am ready to feel normal again.
Hi Lynn. We're about the same. I'm band to RNY too. I'll be three weeks on Thursday. I feel ok, bit of a sharp pain in my tummy sometimes which I think is wind :-) I have a little nap most afternoons after work and felt tired yesterday doing a grocery shop but that's all to be expected.

I hope you start to feel normal again soon. Can I ask you what you're eating? I mean how much. I'm on the mushy food stage and just ate a two egg omelette. Is that too much? I feel nicely full but not overly and not sick :-/

I've read that the first stall usually happens 2-3 weeks post-op. I'm still stalled for almost two weeks, but I've gone down a clothing size! In a couple of days, measure yourself because most shrinking happens during a stall.

Molly

Hi Lynn. We're about the same. I'm band to RNY too. I'll be three weeks on Thursday. I feel ok' date=' bit of a sharp pain in my tummy sometimes which I think is wind :-) I have a little nap most afternoons after work and felt tired yesterday doing a grocery shop but that's all to be expected. I hope you start to feel normal again soon. Can I ask you what you're eating? I mean how much. I'm on the mushy food stage and just ate a two egg omelette. Is that too much? I feel nicely full but not overly and not sick :-/[/quote']

I can eat 1 egg in the morning but for lunch I can eat 1/2 -3/4 cup of food depending on what it is. My doctor has moved me to regular food I had a chicken tender the other day with 2 bites of potatoes

I've read that the first stall usually happens 2-3 weeks post-op. I'm still stalled for almost two weeks' date=' but I've gone down a clothing size! In a couple of days, measure yourself because most shrinking happens during a stall. Molly[/quote']

Thank you I going to try that it's just frustrating plus I can eat more than 1/4 cup I have not thrown up or gotten sick I can tell when I am full I don't know if it is because I am a revision or what

Im so scared that I am going to stretch my pouch! Its my #1 fear! My 1 week post op appt is tomorrow I will talk to them about it. Anyone else scared of stretching?

Im so scared that I am going to stretch my pouch! Its my #1 fear! My 1 week post op appt is tomorrow I will talk to them about it. Anyone else scared of stretching?

It definitely crosses my mind. I intend to listen very carefully to my pouch when I'm allowed real food. Let us know what your surgeon has to say about it. I've read that it's more the stoma join that can stretch allowing alot more food to fall through if we push it with our quantities.

Has my bypass today at 10am. Woke up around 3pm. Having alot of soreness on my back and stomach. The catheter sucks and I'm on a npo( nothing by mouth) anyone else having beef luck.