Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG October 2013 Post-ops

Sorry for this being TMI, but how long have you gone between BMs? I've gained almost three pounds and haven't had a BM since....Sunday? I have 5g of Fiber in my Water 2x a day.

I had the same problem and finally went this morning. Are you in any pain? I was told depending on what you are taking in, it could be just once a week. Good Luck!

I had my surgery on 10/24/13...I was in pain for a few days and then just right rib pain for a few more days. I found that everyday I walked, the pain was less the next day and Day 7 I was in no pain at all and actually felt hunger pains. I started full liquids today, I never thought I'd be so happy to see cream of mushroom soup!!

Down 20lbs since I started the pre-op diet!!!

I am having such a horrible time right now. I'm glad to read that others are doing better gives me hope but then I wonder if I'm not healing fast enough. Monday was surgery day and today I'm still the same as yesterday.

I am having such a horrible time right now. I'm glad to read that others are doing better gives me hope but then I wonder if I'm not healing fast enough. Monday was surgery day and today I'm still the same as yesterday.

Its ok.. It took me 2 weeks to feel better.. and it could take more time it all depends.. is not that quick. But the more you walk the faster your recovery will be..

Second day home and still having pressure. Not able to get in Protein requirements and liquid requirements too. Was told to focus on liquids first. To avoid dehydration. Curious as to when i might expect to see a BM. Not had one since day before surgery on 10/29/13. Realize i wasn't taking in much during that time. Should i take something to help it along? I DO NOT want to get constipated. Advice welcomed.

Second day home and still having pressure. Not able to get in Protein requirements and liquid requirements too. Was told to focus on liquids first. To avoid dehydration. Curious as to when i might expect to see a BM. Not had one since day before surgery on 10/29/13. Realize i wasn't taking in much during that time. Should i take something to help it along? I DO NOT want to get constipated. Advice welcomed.

If you haven't had any solids no worries yet...but later remember benefiber is our friend. Molly turned me onto it and it's fab.

Anyone out there juicing or blending? I'm not really getting anything other than protien...so I bought a nutribullet extractor. Once a day I blend kale, spinach, carrots, banana, apple, strawberries and blackberries with protien powder and Water to get some other micro nutrients I may be lacking. Just a thought. It also emulsifies all of it so you are getting the Fiber.< /p>

Everyone heals at a different pace and you may have days where you don't think there has been any improvment, but everything I have ever read or heard says that walking and staying as active as you can when you can is key. I am a nurse and I know that this is true when any of my patients are ill, when you are sedimentary, blood and oxygen do not circulate as well and your muscles, when active, promote circulation, strength and healing. Another thing that I see with patients and was true for me for the first few days is, do not be afraid to cough as much and as forcefully as possible as you can. This too increases oxygen circulation and keeps anything from settling into your lungs and causing more problems. I was very afraid to cough after surgery, a low O2 level almost kept me in the hospital an extra night, my surgeon came into my room and said, "cough, you can not undo anything I did", so, I coughed and went home a few hours later. Sorry if I seem like I'm ranting, it's hard sometimes to seperate the patient and the nurse. Good luck and walk, even if it is around your house in 5 minute sets.

I just want to say congratulation to everyone that had their surgeries this month!! I look forward to hearing about all of the progress we all are going to make!! Everyone has been so helpful and comforting. Good luck everyone!!

Everyone heals at a different pace and you may have days where you don't think there has been any improvment' date=' but everything I have ever read or heard says that walking and staying as active as you can when you can is key. I am a nurse and I know that this is true when any of my patients are ill, when you are sedimentary, blood and oxygen do not circulate as well and your muscles, when active, promote circulation, strength and healing. Another thing that I see with patients and was true for me for the first few days is, do not be afraid to cough as much and as forcefully as possible as you can. This too increases oxygen circulation and keeps anything from settling into your lungs and causing more problems. I was very afraid to cough after surgery, a low O2 level almost kept me in the hospital an extra night, my surgeon came into my room and said, "cough, you can not undo anything I did", so, I coughed and went home a few hours later. Sorry if I seem like I'm ranting, it's hard sometimes to seperate the patient and the nurse. Good luck and walk, even if it is around your house in 5 minute sets.[/quote']

Thank you:). I'm trying. I notice my sense of smell and taste are on high alert. The aftertaste of broth and the smell of Irish spring is killing me lol.

I had a BM the night before surgery which was Tuesday and didn't have one til Sunday. Then it was kind if every other day. Then every couple days. Now I haven't had one since Sunday. I asked my nurse friend if I should take some milk of mag but she said as long as I'm not uncomfortable not to worry. I have never been constipated before so idk what it feels like. So I wonder when I should add the Benefiber??? Do I wait til I feel like crap??

HHeHHey HHHHey

Hey all, surgery 10/29/13. Everything went super good. Home on 10/31/13. A little sore. Just stuck with the liquid loratab the first day home but only once today. I feel real good just real slow. Getting my Protein in and most all Water. My doc told me to not take my Vitamins till my follow up appt. He said that most new gastric bypass patients do not tolerate vitamins. So I will wait to start those. Glad to be on the loser bench! Band to Bypass Rocks!

I had a BM the night before surgery which was Tuesday and didn't have one til Sunday. Then it was kind if every other day. Then every couple days. Now I haven't had one since Sunday. I asked my nurse friend if I should take some milk of mag but she said as long as I'm not uncomfortable not to worry. I have never been constipated before so idk what it feels like. So I wonder when I should add the Benefiber??? Do I wait til I feel like crap??

I would say don't wait any longer, add benefiber to your Water now. I had been constipated and it is horrible... Couldn't push and cried while sitting in the toilet. It wont hurt to start the benefiber now... Good luck!!!

I'm on day 10 post op and I feel miserable. I wasn't able to get my drain taken out on Friday. The nurse said I still had too much Fluid. Just when the gas pain went away' date=' it came back but worse when i started Protein Shakes. Had several diarrhea episodes and I don't have an appetite. I'm back to clear fluids. The pain in my chest is just depressing. I'm trying to stay positive and remember that I had lapband removal, hiatal repair and the bypass in one surgery. I pray this will be better this week.[/quote']

You may be lactose intolerant. Happened to me after surgery. Had horrible diarrhea and gas pain. Switched to lactose free milk in my Protein shakes. Everything was better.