Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Spivak's patients .....

JosieB - Thank you for the reply!

I am not having trouble with my gallbladder --- I am just remembering random things (and perhaps making some up with an overactive imagination/memory!)

Pain Meds - I have the list from the FAQs section...that is what has me thinking about the liquid form of the meds. But I also recall reading that some people are able to swallow some pills just fine following the initial surgery since there is no real restriction yet. That is why I was wondering if I should even bother trying to get the meds in liquid form (like them calling them in ahead of time since I have read many pharmacy's don't keep them in stock).

I am very concerned about the $2500 thing. Surely that is a mistake. Anyone out there that has done this the insurance route that has any ideas?

Anyone live in Beaumont, Winnie or Baytown areas? I would like to find someone to carpool to the Tuesday support groups with. Surgery scheduled for August 28th (was 29th), so I will be skipping a week soon. I would like to start going ASAP!

Hi everyone! I went to the first Spivak support meeting and loved it but havne't been back. Too far a drive for me at night. Sounds like it has been wroth it, though.....

I think I know what you're asking. I am assuming that you're hungry or thinking about food a lot....more than you'd like. You're not getting stuck so you think it's time for a fill.

I think I might be in the same place you are right now. I sometimes get stuck which makes me think my restriction is good. But I'm getting hungry in about 2 hours...which is NOT good. So I am looking at the head hunger vs. needing a fill delimma too.

Does that help??

Hi Terry ~

EXACTLY!!! It is like because I am not getting stuck as much, I think I need a fill . . . Because I can eat now without getting stuck, I think I need a fill . . . Surely, that can't be right! I mean, we should be able to EAT, as long as we 'chew-to-goo' and take tiny bites, right??? I guess that is what I need support on, that it is OKAY to be able to eat . . . I think I spent so much time stuck and confused, that is why it feels 'wrong' to be able to eat now.

I know I have restriction because of the very small amount I can eat before I get that 'feeling' that it is time to stop.

I will admit that I probably don't eat the 'perfect' things and I am working on that thought process - Right now it seems to be, "Well if I am only going to be able to eat a tiny amount, then it needs to be something I really want/like."

Thanks for responding ~ I keep trying to remind myself that this is not a race and that it is going to take some time.

Lynn

Well, the difference for me is that I'm starting to be able to eat ANYTHING and I'm taking pretty big bites (relatively). I'm heading in for a fill on Wednesday.

Someone told me that Brenda said, "If you can eat bread you need a fill." I can eat bread. ;)

Don't worry about it...just call the office. I got all KINDS of bills after surgery and just got on the phone and cleared it up (I was self-pay) and paid up front which messed everyone up FOR SOME REASON.

Well, today is Saturday and I was banded on Wednesday. I am feeling pretty tender around the center of my chest (I think that is where the port is). That is where the largest cluster of steri-strips are and I see some bruising forming. The other steri-strips are starting to come off...How long are they supposed to stay on? There is also one near my belly-button. I forgot one would be so low.

Yesterday I was finally able to get some relief from the gas feelings. (Thank goodness!) I also switched Thursday night from the prescription pain reliever to the liquid Tylenol - which I am still using now as needed. The prescription stuff was giving me a weird headache echo-feeling. I dunno.

I am up and around and walking a lot more. Tenderly trying to find comfortable sleeping positions at night. I am still not very hungry at all. I am keeping hydrated. It is very hard to sip and not chug Water. I used to be a chugger...got thirsty before --- 20 ounce bottle gone in like 2 chugs. I guess that is like big time 'no no' now - hehehe.

Last night I graduated to mushies! I had ~ 6 ounces of Split Pea Soup. It was good. I can't wait to finish it for lunch today!

Congrats, Heather!!! The steri strips are supposed to stay on a week to 10 days (as I recall). Don't pull them off....let them fall off on their own. If they do fall off before then, cover the incision with a bandaid and change it a couple times a day. You should start feeling MUCH better by the end of the weekend. It's like you wake up one day and like a miracle happened overnight. Your port will continue to be sore for 3-4 weeks, so don't worry about that.

I don't think there's a problem with chugging water....it's that most people CAN'T chug Water. I don't think you have to sip like a baby anymore...just regular type drinks...but NOT 10 oz. at a time!! LOL I think there's a happy medium in there somewhere!

Yep Terry, Brenda says if you can eat bread you need a fill.

My problem is . . . I can only eat bread on the 3rd Sunday of the month, if the moon is blue and it is raining . . . .

Did I mention my band is 'finicky???' :phanvan

Lynn

Hlyndes....I got a bill after surgery (I was self pay) for another $500 or so from the anesthesiologist. Turns out it was a mistake. I just called Dr. Spivak's office and they cleared it up for me. BTW....I asked the anesthesiologist's office to send me a copy of my paid bill (just to be on the safe side) and they did. I filed it away w/my records.

The steri-strips should stay on until they fall off. After a week or so and showering they will just curl up and drop off.

Mommi-hammi....I have a finicky band too. I can eat bread this week but come bad weather or the time of the month I tighten up and can only get soft foods down. Not real sure what to make of that and I'm going on my year anniversary. Still learning...

I am very concerned about the $2500 thing. Surely that is a mistake. Anyone out there that has done this the insurance route that has any ideas?

Come to think of it, I also got a bunch of bills from the hospital after surgery and had to call them and tell them that I paid Dr. S in full and they needed to reconcile with his office. I had no problem after that. There was only one bill I did pay and it was for $10.79 for something-or-other at the hospital that wasn't part of the package.

I have a finicky band too. I can eat bread this week but come bad weather or the time of the month I tighten up and can only get soft foods down. Not real sure what to make of that and I'm going on my year anniversary. Still learning...

Thank you for responding Lisa . . .

I guess it is safe to say that everyday can be a 'new day' with the band. That is okay with me though, I want to lose this weight more than I want a piece of bread! ;)

Lynn

JosieB - Thank you for the reply!

I am not having trouble with my gallbladder --- I am just remembering random things (and perhaps making some up with an overactive imagination/memory!)

Pain Meds - I have the list from the FAQs section...that is what has me thinking about the liquid form of the meds. But I also recall reading that some people are able to swallow some pills just fine following the initial surgery since there is no real restriction yet. That is why I was wondering if I should even bother trying to get the meds in liquid form (like them calling them in ahead of time since I have read many pharmacy's don't keep them in stock).

I went the insurance route and I too was confused about the $2500 thing. I even paid 500 dollars to Dr. Beltran (his assistant surgeon) and another 400-500 dollars for anestiga (I admit I wasn't ever in a spelling bee). Why are they making us pay extra for all this other stuff, I was under the impression it was covered in the $2500.00. Was I misinformed?

I received a check from the hospital for over $2,000. It was a mistake when I called them and I took it to them when I went for my first fill. I never cashed it all. Now I'm getting a bill for that exact same amount. I was self-pay as well. Seems like they do enough of these that this wouldn't be an issue.

Mommi-hammi....I also discovered that my band tightens up after flying! Funny huh?

The anesthesiologist's bill really had me worried for a while. I was so concerned I was getting hidden bills that were not explained to me. When I got the confirmation letter that my bills were all forgiven, I filed it for safekeeping and never had a problem again.

Oh, and I can chug water!