Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Spivak's patients .....

Through earlier conversations in a separate thread, it was suggested to have a specific thread for Spivak's patients to share experiences. Please feel free to join in.

Lynn, Terry and Deb hope to see your updates here. :)

Take care,

Kim

*To be banded Monday, February 5th

I am self pay, my surgery is Monday 8:00am at the surgical center. Wish me luck. I am so darn excited. My procedure had to be rescheduled once, so it is go time! I will be back to post again once I am back home and rested.

Good Luck Kim, you are in great hands! I love Dr. Spivak and think he seems genuinely interested in each of his patients. I have a friend who had the surgery about 2 years ago with Dr. Spivak and she has NOTHING but great things to say about him and his staff.

My surgery was at Park Plaza Hospital. I'm not sure what factors determine where the surgery will be.

LOL, I started a thread over on Lap Band Support. But this is fine too, thanks Kimmie. Here is what I wrote on the other thread:

I was banded on January 8, 2007 at Park Plaza. The surgery went well. I had more pain than I expected for the first 3 days. Couldn't get in or out of bed by myself, and gas pains were awful! I'm much better now but still have an occasional gas pain in my left shoulder when I sit for over an hour. Approaching 4 weeks this coming Monday. That means I am still on soft foods, and have lost 20 pounds! Yea!

I called to get an appointment for my first follow-up and fill for Feb 12. I am ready because my hunger is returning. I don't want to gain any weight back that I have lost.

Terry

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I also posted this message below. I hope to meet you there:

I heard about this support group, and sent an email to Wanda Chase to register for the first meeting, on March 13. Most of you probably already know about this, but I didn't get any information on this at my seminar or consult:

ATTN:ALL PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE PATIENTS OF DR. HADAR SPIVAK!!!

This is a flyer that is given to all the patients at his seminars.

Dr. Spivak's bandMD -Wellness Program

START DATE IS MARCH 13TH AT 7PM, AND WILL

BE EVERY TUESDAY THERE AFTER!!

The program is designed to assist in the emotional and physical aspects

of post-gastric banding surgery and to maximize weight loss.

Director- Wanda Chase

My name is Wanda Chase. I am 41 years young and I had the LAP-BAND

Surgery one and a half years ago. Before my "Life Changing" surgery I weight 330 pounds and my health was rapidly declining. I already had severe lower back problems requiring the input of metal screws and rods and I experienced major knee problems.

I was not healthy before surgery. My blood pressure was high and I was

on medication for it. My cholesterol was elevated, and I had symptoms of

diabetes. After losing my mother 10 months prior to my surgery from an

aortic dissection (resulting from morbid obesity, diabetes, high blood

pressure, heart disease), I felt I had to do something for "ME" or I

was going to die. I made the biggest choice of my life and had the surgery done with Dr. Spivak. Today I have lost 130 pounds and I take no medication. I am very conscious of everything that goes into my body. I feel very healthy, strong and I exercise everyday.

I am very excited to be involved with Dr. Spivak's bandMD- Wellness

Program. Over many years, I have tried many diets and programs and failed. I finally found something that works and I want to share my story and give people help and prospect. Because I have experienced a lot of what you are going through.

Just a brief over view, ant the wellness program we will have many

topics of discussion on exercising properly, Portion Control, nutrition, the

mental aspect of weight loss and much more. We will have guest speakers on a variety of issues. We will have a fashion trade to help in the clothing aspects. We will also have "Self Challenges" through out the year as well as an incredible event, "The NEW YOU" Holiday Celebration Ball. We have a Yahoo Communication group set up for discussions as well. This is just to mention a few great events and benefits we have in store for you.

I can definately tell you.. that Dr Spivak intends to reward the best

performing and participating patients with great prizes!!

The Wellness Classes will be held every Tuesday Night from 7pm to 8 pm

at Dr Spivak's office 1200 Binz suit 1470 over looking down town Houston. The parking is free, right across the street from our building, very

accessible.

Our "Fashion Trade" will be held the last Tuesday night of the month

from 8pm to 8:30pm after the class is over.We have designed the classes small, so you do not feel like a number, we are small emogh to were everyone will be able to know each other its more personal.

Dr. Spivak bandMD-Wellness Program is free and is one of the many

benefits you will receive when you choose Dr. Spivak to perform your "Life Changing" surgery . You will become part of the bandMD family and will help you any way we can.

You must register to our program by calling the office at 713-520 8900

during normal work hours to RSVP. If for some reason you cannot make

it, please call to cancel your reservation to allow someone else to join,

and then we will see you next week!!

We all love our children, but this is "YOU" time. Please make

arrangements for a friend or family member to care for your children for the time you are at the program. This will assist in the program being more productive in the time we have. I greatly appreciate your cooperation with this.

I look forward to meeting and visiting with each and every one of you!

Sincerely,

Wanda Chase

Director- bandMD-Wellness Program

Email: Spivakbandmd@yahoo.com

More Info: www.lap-surgery.net

- - - - - - - - - -

Terry

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Kimmie, will be thinking of you on Monday. Let us know how you are as soon as your are able.

Terry

Hi, My name is Mary, I was banded by Dr. Spivak on January 31st, so I just a few days post op. Had my surgery done a Park Plaza and could not have had a better experience. One of the really nice things was that three of the nurses that worked with me had also had the lap band surgery and had nothing but great things to say about Dr. Spivak. It was very comforting laying in the holding area to have someone arond who had experienced the procedure and was very postive about it.

My surgery went well, had virtually no pain. Nausea was the biggest problem, it lasted about 48 hours. Was told that it was my brain and my stomach coming to terms with the band.

Today is the first day, I feel really normal. Thursday, Friday, Sat, I just took it easy and slept quite a bit. Actually more than quite a bit. Beginning to eat mushies and tolerating them so far.

Happy to see this tread started as there is so much variation in the instructions from various surgeons. At least we should all be on the same page with what we need to doing.

Kimmie, thanks for starting this.

Happy to see this tread started as there is so much variation in the instructions from various surgeons. At least we should all be on the same page with what we need to doing.

Kimmie, thanks for starting this.

Mary, I'm glad you are starting to feel normal. Because of the different post-op diets, I was tired of hearing that I shouldn't eat Jello, or cottage cheese early after the surgery. I always measure my foods before putting on plate, and so far feel good.

Terry

I went to Dr. Spivak seminar this pass Wednesday and thought he was great. I traveled from Austin because I read so many good things about him. Before I left the office I decided to have bypass surgery but on the long trip home I changed my mind. (wanted lap band) I can't see me having my stomach cut. I have so many questions to ask. I hope in the upcoming days they will be answered.

Hello all. Surgery in the morning. Fingers crossed all goes smoothly. I will be back on line with an update as soon as I am up and running. Take care,

Kim

Hello all. Surgery in the morning. Fingers crossed all goes smoothly. I will be back on line with an update as soon as I am up and running. Take care,

Kim

Kim, I'll be thinking of you and looking for your first post back from the bandlands.

Terry

I went to Dr. Spivak seminar this pass Wednesday and thought he was great. I traveled from Austin because I read so many good things about him. Before I left the office I decided to have bypass surgery but on the long trip home I changed my mind. (wanted lap band) I can't see me having my stomach cut. I have so many questions to ask. I hope in the upcoming days they will be answered.

Ask any questions and hopefully someone can answer. I am still newly banded myself, but have been reading this message board faithfully. My first fill will be in one week.

I feel like I made the right decision to have lap band surgery with Dr. Spivak. He is easy to talk to and seems to really care about the health and well being of his patients.

His office staff have been extremely helpful too.

Terry

Thanks for starting this thread Kim. I too am a Spivak patient and I love my band. I was banded on 11-20-06 at the surgicenter and have nothing but wonderful things to say about my experience. I have had one fill and plan on getting my 2nd on Feb 13. I have a good friend that also had the surgery with Dr. Spivak on the same day. She's had her second fill and found that almost half of the fill was absorbed by the band. They say this is common with the first go round. I'm anxious to see what's left in my band. I was filled to 1.8.

I will be attending the Spivak support group also. I plan to attend the first Tuesday and every other one after that. I need support and accountability. I have stayed away from all Pasta, rice, and bread. That has really helped me a lot. So far, I have lost 45 pounds, but I have a loooong, loooong way to go. I look forward to meeting you all at the support group.

Kim

6 days post op today and still not able to eat much. Lots and lots of gas pains. Never thought I would be so happy to belch. Back and shoulder pain can be miserable. Try walking, but have found if I can just lay down on my left side for a few minutes it really helps. I office out of my home and did not schedule anything out this week. Thanks goodness, so if it just get unbearable, I can run lay in bed for 5-10 minutes. Anyone know how long this gas will last?

Am hoping the swelling gets better soon, I know in a week or two I will probably long for the restriction I have right now, but I do worry about getting enough calories down.

Yesterday, I had a serious hypoglycemic episode. Never had one before in my life and hope to never have another. I was concentrating so much on making sure I got my fluids in that I neglected my Protein. Won't make that mistake again. I know better, Stupid, stupid, stupid! :faint:

Anyway so far today other that the gas things are fine.

Hope everyone is doing well tomorrow.