Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Spivak's patients .....

Yes, he does.

I am curious how this band is 'better' - ??? Does anyone know what the differences are in the old one he used before and the new one?

Also, when did he start using the new one?

I had my surgery on 1-12-07 and am now confused about which one I have.

I know one thing - I wish I had a 'MAGIC' one that would do the work for me and make this easy, and have me drop about 5 pounds a week!

If they come out with one like the one I just described, I'll be first in line for the revision. :)

Good night friends ~

Lynn :notagree

Hello fellow Spivak patients. I went in for my second fill last week, and the procedure was fine. At the office they told me that most of my original fill was gone. She filled me up and I was on my way.;

My issue is that I for that night I felt restriction and by the next day nothing. I am so bummed. I am gaining back weight that I lost! I made an appointment to see Dr. Spivak next week for a fill...is he the only one that can switch you over to the omnipac?

I just think I am losing my fill, and after eating pretty good for the last six weeks, I am craving some junk food, and with no restriction I am sliding down hill fast.

Any advice? Anyone going to the support meeting tomorrow? I need it!

No, Leslie switched me to Omnipaque and Dr. Spivak was nowhere in sight! Actually when I found out my 1st fill had disappeared I was the one who said, "Ok, so is this when we switch to Omnipaque?"...and Leslie jumped on it. I had to sign an informed consent though.

Just keep going for fills until you feel restriction! I've had 3 and sometimes feel like I'm ready for my 4th....but then I get stuck and think, "NO! I'm just fine!" I'm losing about 1# a week or maybe a little less...but not many foods I can't eat and that is a good thing. I'll coast for awhile.

Don't fret yet!! You're doing fine...it just takes awhile. Are you exercising??? (They don't call me the Gym Nazi for nothing!) :confused:

I am curious if anyone else has these thoughts . . . . .

I think because I spent a fairly significant amount of time getting stuck on food (my own fault for not chewing enough and taking too large of bites), that now that I have figured out the smaller bites and chewing thing and I can actually eat, I think I need another fill! :phanvan

The scale is not moving for me and I am frustrated. However, I am really not sure another fill is the answer . . . Perhaps exercise . . .

I am also wondering when you get to your 'sweet spot' if you quit thinking about food - ??? When I read that people 'forget to eat' I almost fall over because I am not even close to 'forgetting to eat' - just curious - ???

Thanks,

Lynn

Terry,

Thanks for your advice. I spoke to Brenda today and hopefully I will get in for a fill tomorrow. I think I just loose the fill, or a good portion of it. I have been excercising, but probably not like I should be. I am getting ready to go back to work (teaching) and I have been really busy with end of summer fun! Thanks for your response...I was getting all worked up.

I agree with mommi-hammi, I would love to forget to eat!

I am curious if anyone else has these thoughts . . . . .

I think because I spent a fairly significant amount of time getting stuck on food (my own fault for not chewing enough and taking too large of bites), that now that I have figured out the smaller bites and chewing thing and I can actually eat, I think I need another fill! :phanvan

The scale is not moving for me and I am frustrated. However, I am really not sure another fill is the answer . . .

I am also wondering when you get to your 'sweet spot' if you quit thinking about food - ??? When I read that people 'forget to eat' I almost fall over because I am not even close to 'forgetting to eat' - just curious - ???

Thanks,

Lynn

I would love to have some feedback on the two things above in red.

It seems like I just don't think this baby is working if I'm not getting stuck all the time . . . :faint:

What is wrong with my head??? Do any of you have these thoughts? Aren't we supposed to be able to co-exist with our little tool and just eat less??? I can't figure out why all of the sudden I am having all of this anxiety. Oh yeah, now I remember! I haven't lost an ounce in I can't remember when . . .

Thoughts friends - ???

Hi...sorry it took me so long to come around! I think I know what you're asking. I am assuming that you're hungry or thinking about food a lot....more than you'd like. You're not getting stuck so you think it's time for a fill.

When you get stuck a lot, do you also find that you stay fuller longer?

What kind of foods are you eating? Give me a typical day's menu.

I think I might be in the same place you are right now. I sometimes get stuck which makes me think my restriction is good. But I'm getting hungry in about 2 hours...which is NOT good. I end up snacking more because my hypoglycemia has taught me for 30 years that this is what I should do to keep my blood sugars stable. But in reality my hypoglycemia is well under control with the band....it is only out of habit that I eat as soon as I feel hungry. As a result of all of this my daily calories have risen slowly from about 1000/day to 1600 or so (before exercise is subtracted out).

So I am looking at the head hunger vs. needing a fill delimma too. I am avoiding a fill until Sept. because we're going on vacation and I don't want to be having all kinds of restriction problems so I am working on the other side of the equation...the head hunger (?), food choices and calories. I need to seriously work on my habit of eating at the first sign of hunger and that is what I'm trying to do now by drinking more Water instead or distracting myself with some activity. I am also adjusting WHAT I am eating....trying to add more Fiber and eating more solid foods. In other words, I'm trying to follow the bandster rules more closely and see if that helps. The jury is still out....

Does that help??

Also....

Are you exercising? If so, are you changing up your routine every so often?

Are you counting calories?

I appear to be in the same boat. I got my third fill two weeks ago. I am getting stuck much more often but I am not feeling full very much. I think I am on the verge of being where I need to be. I think I am very close. I ate two low fat graham crackers (each is a sheet of four small crackers) last night and I was full to bursting by the end of the second one. That was a good sign. It doesn't seem to stay very long though. I'm close.....very close.

I'm there with you mommihammi!!

I've learned to chew very well - until mush and it just jumps down my throat. Problem is that I think I can eat too much. With it chewed up that well it doesn't stay in my pouch. I don't actually feel full when I eat. I just try (key word) to stop eating after I think I've had enough. I eat with the small plate and now the small fork too. I guess I haven't gotten to the point of when to stop when I'm satisfied rather than full. I wonder if I need a fill? I can't go until September because of our schedules - and the fact that I'm up in Dallas so it's not a quick trip :0)

Good luck to you all on finding that sweet spot!!

This Wednesday is the big day for me. I am getting more scatterbrained by the minute - although I am very excited. I am having such random thoughts and concerns - some valid...many not! For example, last Thursday I spoke with the office and got the final OK from the insurance (YEAH!) and the date (8/15) and was told a packet would be mailed with instructions and what-not.

Well, The packet arrived...but it doesn't even have the time of the procedure or directions/times to check into the hospital or anything! DUH! Frustrating! It also says something about $2,500 due - that is freaking me out! Is that possible? That must be an error! I was approved by insurance (Cigna)...Does anyone have any advice or a similar experience?

OK...more random thoughts here: Gallbladder removed at the same time? Seems like I remember something like that from the seminar I attended (but that was wayyy back in March and I have tried to sleep a few times since then). I need to call them tomorrow but I need to get my thoughts in order and try to clarify my thoughts and questions so I am not a rambling/bumbling fool! (I guess I have saved that for you guys!)

The whole liguid pain meds thing...I don't have a script for that...I wonder if they will call it in to my Walgreen's if I give them the number tomorrow or did y'all just get it in regular form after the surgery? I have a whole shopping list/errands I need to do to get ready...Oh my goodness ~ So sorry!

hi hlyndes

good luck on wednesday.

i was operated on in park plaza and was told they would call me the day before with the time of the operation. they didnt. Dr. spivak's office gave me the number and i called and got it. wasnt too big of a deal but i was worried too.

re: gallbladder....not sure are you having trouble with it?

re: pain meds....tylenol liquid really did the trick for me. in fact i was sick in the hospital from pain meds. i'm sure if you dont have anyone to help you fill the prescription the day of...i'm sure they would call it in.

why dont you make a list of questions so when you call them you get all your questions addressed. the girls in dr spivak's office are great.

there is a list on this website of preop and post op list of things to get. that was really helpful.

bring a pillow and blanket for the ride home.

good luck and keep us posted.