Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Besides weight loss, what has been the biggest benefit since getting surgery?

135 members have voted

1. 1. Besides weight loss, what has been the biggest benefit since getting surgery? If you haven’t had surgery yet or if you just got it, what are you most looking forward to?

• Better health, with fewer medications and better reports from the doctor.
    • More energy to do my favorite activities and keep up with friends and family.
    • Clothes shopping! (Enough said).
    • Self-confidence and pride in myself.
    • Food doesn’t rule my life any more!
    • Something else – see my answer!

If you haven’t had surgery yet or if you just got it, what are you most looking forward to?

Mark your answer and tell us about it in the discussion below! We know that many of you have multiple answers, and we want to hear all of them!

Beside self confidence and pride, feeling free from food!! Being able to eat and walk away from the table without stuffing my face is INCREDIBLE!! I used to eat to a coma, and dream of what I was gonna eat next.

All of the above! I am more active and able to work along side my hubby in the garden. I have been putting a serious hurt on my wallet, so thrilled to find clothes in my size in every store except Lane Bryant- too big!! I only take Vitamins and a preventative PPI, no medications. I feel better and look better, that has created a huge boost to my confidence. Many days I could take it or leave it when it comes to eating. Sometime I do get hungry but overall I could just as easily not eat all day. Lastly, the biggest benefit is the combined effect all of these improvements have had on my life. I am much happier knowing my weight is no longer a factor in my life

I'm saving a lot of money on food! My significant other and I were going out to eat at least twice a week, and I can get away without going to the grocery store every single day for little odds and ends or fresh ingredients. :)

Besides weight loss is beating diabetes. I had an A1C of 14+ and now I'm at 6. I was injecting four times a day and on high blood pressure and high cholesterol medications and I'm off all that. I also had a high white blood cell count that was causing inflammation in my legs- that is slowly resolving itself as well. I can go up and down stairs easily at school and not sound like a donkey in heat when I reach class. Most of my clothes are gone and gonna go shopping soon!!! I eat small amounts and save money and have more confidence and self esteem ... Best decision for me.

6 weeks since sleeve surgery. Diabetes medication cut to 1/4; blood sugars normal. Blood pressure med cut to 1/4. Down 3 sizes! It's been great --best decision I ever made!

1. Improved mobility - which was my # 1 goal with wls 2. I am off blood pressure med, Water pills, and anti-depressants now

Besides weight loss' date=' what has been the biggest benefit since getting surgery?

If you haven’t had surgery yet or if you just got it, what are you most looking forward to?

Mark your answer and tell us about it in the discussion below! We know that many of you have multiple answers, and we want to hear all of them![/quote']

Love this question ! I am scheduled to have surgery on July 22nd! The # 1 thing I am looking forward to is buying clothes at any store ! #2 I'm looking forward to is wearing jeans and shorts again! # 3 using the things I've learned to help get my family heathy and active !

Love this question ! I am scheduled to have surgery on July 22nd! The # 1 thing I am looking forward to is buying clothes at any store ! #2 I'm looking forward to is wearing jeans and shorts again! # 3 using the things I've learned to help get my family heathy and active !

This is exactly how im feeling and ny surgery date is july 22 also good luck and best wishes to you

I'm no longer distracted by my weight. Meaning, I'm not busy blaming my weight for other, larger issues in my life.

I went into surgery truly feeling that the biggest problems in my life and with myself were solely due to my weight.

I could not have been more wrong.

So for me, the greatest benefit has been an ability to truly improve myself. Every other benefit listed is also true for me, so I get to enjoy all of that, too. But I'm not just better looking, better dressed and in better health: every day I'm becoming a better person. I think that's far more valuable because it's part of what's going to keep me on the right track. It was also a completely unexpected benefit of the surgery.

~Cheri

My skin cleared up and started becoming what it should have been all along. In fact, I'm getting ready to cancel my Proactive account and upcoming mailings because I don't need it anymore and it never really did help compared to what it should.