Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2007 bandsters!

I'm now 4 days post-op, surgery on 2-7, and I'm starting to feel better. We went grocery shopping yesterday then to the furniture store and bought a new mattress. I was tired when we got home, but it felt good to get out. I've been walking a lot around the house, but still have that bloated feeling. I've been using gas-x strips that seem to work pretty well.

I made a Protein Shake yesterday with milk, half a banana and a spoonful of Peanut Butter. Tasted pretty good, but still has that "protein taste". I also warmed up a can of vegetable beef Soup and drank just the broth. It has a lot better taste than just plain chicken broth.

I'm still sleeping in my recliner most of the night. I had a hianal hernia they fixed too, and I think they made a bigger incision for that since it's about 4 inches long. The rest of my "bullet holes are all only about an inch. The long one is the only one that bothers me, I can hardly tell that I have the other ones.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one experiencing these kind of problems.

Mary

I am actually doing very very well - i just got banded on Wednesday and the pain from the surgery is virtually gone and has been since friday, the only pain/discomfort i am having is this damn gas bubble i have in my chest - it feels like i have to burp but it wont come out. I did not have any pre op diet so the only weight i have lost is since the surg. i have lost 5 lbs and i am not hungry at all!! still on liquids but they are so filling right now. The first few days were scary b/c i had never had any type of surgery before but i dont remember anything about it, i was awake then asleep then up again at which felt like 10 minutes later! At first i had a hard time getting up and out of bed i would forget that i just had surgery and would try to get up like normal and i hurt myself a few times. I think being young as definatley helped alot with my recovery and pain tolerance - i would say that i definatley had more pain with some bad bad periods... Oh and i get really tired after like and hour of being up so i take a knao im planning on going back to school on Monday but well see. any questions please feel free to ask!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Nervous....started having bad dreams the last couple nights....that's how I know. One more day of shakes then Clear Liquids. Sounds like I'll be in the living room recliner for a few nights from what I've read. I took a week and 1/2 off work after the surgery. I hope that's enough. When I had my gallbladder removed (lap)...I was off for 4 weeks. I remember having that tight band wrapped around me and it was hard to sit or get dressed. Do they put that on for lapband too? My husband is taking me

on Tuesday...my mom will be home with my kids. I have all the prescriptions ready for my hubby to take to the pharmacy and also a grocery list to pick up. I got the laundry caught up and any housecleaning chores done that I'd wanted done ahead of time. Hmmmm...hope everythings covered. I plan on resting as much as I can the first week. SO very glad I found this forum online. MUCH more helpful than anything the surgeon or nurse will tell you. Take care everyone!

Nervous....started having bad dreams the last couple nights....that's how I know. One more day of shakes then clear liquids. Sounds like I'll be in the living room recliner for a few nights from what I've read. I took a week and 1/2 off work after the surgery. I hope that's enough. When I had my gallbladder removed (lap)...I was off for 4 weeks. I remember having that tight band wrapped around me and it was hard to sit or get dressed. Do they put that on for lapband too? My husband is taking me

on Tuesday...my mom will be home with my kids. I have all the prescriptions ready for my hubby to take to the pharmacy and also a grocery list to pick up. I got the laundry caught up and any housecleaning chores done that I'd wanted done ahead of time. Hmmmm...hope everythings covered. I plan on resting as much as I can the first week. SO very glad I found this forum online. MUCH more helpful than anything the surgeon or nurse will tell you. Take care everyone!

I DONT HAVE A BAND THING THAT YOU MENTION BUT YOU WILL BE GREAT! GOOD LUCK

hey love2blab, im getting banded on the same day!

I spent yesterday cooking chicken in really good broth, then blending it and putting it in three ounce containers in the fridge. I did that with some beef stew too. Anything that would go through a straw. Ive heard you wont want to prepare meals so ...im trying to get things ready. Ive got packages and packages of tofu, Soup at hand, cottage cheese.

ive been on liquid diet now about three days, and ive got enough shakes lined up for four more regular days. Ive got meltaway tylenol and chewable vitamins. Im nervous too, i dont have a recliner! but Im so glad this is happening!

Im worried about little stupid things, and i think its just because im doing this alone.

hey love2blab, im getting banded on the same day!

I spent yesterday cooking chicken in really good broth, then blending it and putting it in three ounce containers in the fridge. I did that with some beef stew too. Anything that would go through a straw. Ive heard you wont want to prepare meals so ...im trying to get things ready. Ive got packages and packages of tofu, Soup at hand, cottage cheese.

ive been on liquid diet now about three days, and ive got enough shakes lined up for four more regular days. Ive got meltaway tylenol and chewable vitamins. Im nervous too, i dont have a recliner! but Im so glad this is happening!

Im worried about little stupid things, and i think its just because im doing this alone.

I dont think you can eat any of that stuff you mentioned above! i know the first week is Clear Liquids - meaning anything you can see through and the second week is full liquids (creamy Soups and thinned milk shakes etc.) and then mushy food, but i dont think beef stew is good until week 2 or maybe 3

RIGHT!!! thats why i put them in a blender with lots of good broth and blended them until they are runny. THe containers are in the freezer for when i need them. The broth is in the fridge and ready. Tofu is for Protein and can be blended when im at the creamy stage. MOST of the stuff ive made is for the creamy stage. Even the beef stew..its complete liquid since its blended now and in the freezer.

In the cupboard, ive got all kinds of teas, broth mixes.

Marissa, Love2blab, and Lizrbit! Good Morning!

Marissa: Glad you made it though the surgery with no problems.. I can't wait for you to start dropping pounds.. YOU have the added bonus of youth to help you along... I am so happy that you've taken this step now instead of later l

Love2blab and Lizrbit: You BOTH will do great! Sounds like you both have great plans of action set up.

Have a great Sunday

Hi, I am also a February bander. I just found out my date is on Valentine's Day, (also my birthday), what a way to celebrate....:mad:

Hey Marissa.

I read in another post that sometimes if you get a pillow and basically be on all fours. Lower your front down on the pillow, you put your butt in the air while on your knees, it supposedly relieves the gas pain as gas rises. I don't know if it works, but another person who posted said it really worked for them.

Oh by the way lizrbit, I was banded 2/8 and I am drinking Protein Shakes (since the hospital), dannon yogurt smoothies (light, I like the strawberry/bannana one), Jello, fudgsicles (sugar free, make sure it dissoves to liquid before swallowing), popsicles, V8, and I can have cream or milk based Soups (not chunks) that are thinned with Water. I was not told any clear liquids after surgery. Doctor wants my energy up he said. He said just to listen to my body and sip.

Hope that helps.

Luv2blab, I did not have any band around me after surgery. I am starting to feel better today. If you look at some of my other posts I got really emotional. I am actually started to feel good now. I think it was what other people said, the anethesia and pain meds. I was banded on 2/8. I haven't taken pain meds since yesterday morning (day 3). I have tenderness at port area, which I don't know if it is the port or the fact the incision is bigger there than the other ones. I don't even feel the other incisions. Just that one on the side. I was thinking I would write out my experience from check in at the hospital to now to give people an idea of what to expect. I know I wanted to know everything.

Hey Marissa.

I read in another post that sometimes if you get a pillow and basically be on all fours. Lower your front down on the pillow, you put your butt in the air while on your knees, it supposedly relieves the gas pain as gas rises. I don't know if it works, but another person who posted said it really worked for them.

it seems that when i lean forward or anything the blood rushes to where my port is and its intense - meaning painful! evern when i use the toilet and have to lean forward to pick up my pants - it hurts more than it any other position - so i dont think that will work for me! anyone else feels this when they lean forward?

Guest Krysia

I love to put a teaspoon of bakers unsweetened chocolate in my ricotta, add a tiny bit of splenda and a dash of vanilla if you want. YUMMY!

You can tolerate Splenda? I'm impressed. It didn't take me very long to figure out that I have difficulty with all the faux-sweeteners. Which means I'm going to have to get the unflavored Protein powders because otherwise I get sick. That's a fabulous idea though. :mad:

My date has changed from 2/15 to 2/14. Won't be hard to remember my bandiversary. My husband thinks this is the best Valentines Day ever!:whoo:

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope all goes well. Keep us piosted. Where are you having your surgery? My date is March, not far behind you.

Hey becca77 (bandster sister), are you ready??? What time is your surgery? Mine is at 12pm and they will be keeping overnight. I am getting excited but also nervous.....