Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2007 bandsters!

Krysia, Travelgirl, & Mel7:

I am soooo happy to hear we are all in the same way. It makes me feel like I'm not 'messing up'. Ok, so its decided we all need to drink, drink, drink. (I mean water!!!!!!!!) And the first one who loses the bloated feeling must pass it on.....ok.

Looking forward to hearing the updates.

P.S. It is getting better every day:cool:

My surgery date now seems really close (next Tuesday). I haven't had to do a liquid pre-op diet but my consultant insists on a liquid diet for 4 weeks post-op to minimise the chances of slippage and to let the band settle down. I've got the next two weeks off work but will have to do two weeks of work on the liquid diet. I'm software engineer which requires a lot of brain power and I'm getting really worried about coping. Has anyone experienced concentration problems on the liquid diet?

My surgery date now seems really close (next Tuesday). I haven't had to do a liquid pre-op diet but my consultant insists on a liquid diet for 4 weeks post-op to minimise the chances of slippage and to let the band settle down. I've got the next two weeks off work but will have to do two weeks of work on the liquid diet. I'm software engineer which requires a lot of brain power and I'm getting really worried about coping. Has anyone experienced concentration problems on the liquid diet?

Hi Louise, post op is not bad at all, there are so many liquids that you are allowed, in addition, you are not hungry for the first 5-7 days and have to really concentrate to get all of your liquids in. I too have a demanding job that has required travel three days per week and I am feeling fine on the liquid stage. Make sure you get your Protein in and stay hydrated,, you will do great!!!

:biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

Hey Tracy, April seems a long way off, but you know it is highly likely that a cancellation will occur. I second the motion that we need you in the Feb group. Those March bandsters trying to steal you away, I think not!!!!:;) :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

Put the thought out there to the universe that you really need a cancellation. Visualize it. Stranger things have happened. Good on ya mate!:rose:

Susannah

Oh.. this made me laugh out loud!!!!!!!! Thanks for that Susannah! :biggrin1:

Our next round of BAND Birthdays happens on Monday!

GOOD LUCK and report back with updates!

:cake:Terriho - 02/12

:cake:PurplePetal - 02/12

:cake:BioMama - 02/12

:cake:Debi717 - 02/12

:cake:Kedasmom – 02/12

:cake:Kelsy: 02/12

Guest Band4EJ

Best of luck to the Monday Bunch! AND here's to everbody wishing for TracyinKS to get a February date!!!

LouisR!!!

Im preop. my surgery is tuesday, and ive been liquiding for a few days. Im lightheaded and not really 'with it' on things but i fiind with some effort i can get ahold of each situation. Im GRUMPY though, and im trying to get a handle on that. In all Ive read with post op, its much much better.

also..regarding #2..metemusel? the powder you mix with Water? would that help?

and also...regarding sweetners, is honey okay? im a big fan of a dollop of honey in my morning tea ;) does honey work with the band?

cause white sugar is satans candy! and corn Syrup is horrid, and splenda is evil...

but honey is made from bee spit, it should be okay eh?

anyone know?

Yeah, here's to Tracy getting a quicker date....Praying for you, Tracy!!;)

Oh, I forgot! Yesterday, I had an appointment with my primary physician.... Get this...I went to see him the day before I started my pre-op liquid diet....and then saw him again yesterday.... elapsed time 15 days...I LOST 18 LBS!!!!!!!!!!!:clap2:

Now, I know it's just because of the stupid liquid diet, and my body is starving, but still, it's 18 lbs that I'd never have lost if not for having this surgery!

My doc's orders for the liquid diet were: 10 days pre-op liquid diet (too detailed to put here, follow your own doc's advice there), then the day prior to surgery, I was to have only Clear Liquids, and then nothing after midnight the night before. Then after surgery, I was to be on clear liquids for 3 days, and then on the 4th day, I could start on the full liquids diet for 2 weeks. After that, I can graduate to mushies for 2 or 3 weeks, then on to solid food.

Don't forget the Protein Powder, or Protein Shakes, the Protein is a MUST. Otherwise, I'm free to drink cream Soups (the Campbell's Soup At Hand soups are pretty good, make sure you don't get the ones with noodles or any chunks...you're not supposed to be consuming anything at this point that might make your stomach churn...)

I feel tons better since I started on the full liquids.

im still dying for someone to talk more about the liquid diet.

im on four Atkins or slimfast high protien shakes a day, and at night around six pm i get two cups of vegetables. Since adding the vegetables im thinking i can maybe do this, but its very difficult. Ive added a half of cup of tofu a day on my own because i felt like i had to have more.

i hope im not sabotoging this.

im still dying for someone to talk more about the liquid diet.

im on four Atkins or slimfast high protien shakes a day, and at night around six pm i get two cups of vegetables. Since adding the vegetables im thinking i can maybe do this, but its very difficult. Ive added a half of cup of tofu a day on my own because i felt like i had to have more.

i hope im not sabotoging this.

Don't worry about the tofu. My surgeon doesn't even do the pre-op diet as he says in his experience it doesn't make any difference to the success of the surgery. He's tried it with and without. However I would advocate following your doctors advice if you can if only so you don't have to lie when you see him next ;)

My doc's physicians assistant said part of the pre-op liquid diet is also to help them gauge your level of commitment to making this work. I personally was all about doing "whatever it takes to make it happen", and if that meant doing a crappy liquid diet that made me feel like hell, then that's what I did and I just made the best of it. You just have to decide to make it work.

I am on my 4th day since banding (2/7/7, after a 1 year insurance wait). Everyone I have seen to this point who is banded,has their port site over thier ribs, midway between breast and waist. Mine seems to be below my waistline, more on my belly/abdomin. I never discussed the location w my dr, I just assumed it would be higher. Also having a good deal of pain at my waist and abdomin when I try to sit up, get out of a chair, turn over in bed, etc. I didn't expect the muscles in my lower abdomin to be so involved. Also I am reading about people mall walking on their third day! I have walked (slowly) down the block a few times, but I am still having pretty good pain. Should I be farther along? Can you all share where your port sites are located?

<!-- / message -->

vjolly. I've been told that my port will be on my left hand side just below my ribs. Every doctor does it differently. As for your post op experience no two people are the same. Everyone heals differently; just listen to what your body is telling you and take it easy. You'll be down the mall in no time!

TravelGIRL!!!!!!!!! 18 lbs is AWESOME! liquid diet or not... 18 lbs WOOOHOOO!

My doc only says 24 hours of liquid pre op, and then post op.. 3 days clear, 5 days full and then mushies (I think thats it... I'll have to check his website and print it out now that I have a date)

Lizrbit! BeeSpit! LOL ;) it is sugar but at least it is natural sugar! I am switching from my SF carnation Creamer back to good ol half and half... it has less Manufactured STUFF and is cheaper... I actually prefere heavy cream but its half and half for right now.

VJolly: Every doc is different my doc puts it in the same place for all his patients (which is the higher ribcage position) His VERY first band patient happens to work for him and he put hers down low and to the side and they have found that it gets irritated by slacks and other waistline garments.. her feed back helped him to decide to change the position.

Have a great saturday!