Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LEARN A VALUABLE LESSON FROM MY MISTAKES

CONSTIPATION.....not any easy subject to talk about. Let me tell you a little about myself first and how I came to post this. I am 52 years old and was sleeved Feb. 25, 2013, 83 days ago. I am down 42 pounds. I feel better than I have since I was in my 20's. I am off my cholesterol meds, high blood pressure meds and triglyceride meds. I am coming on here to tell you the mistakes I have made in the last 2 1/2 months that have brought me to tell you all this. I avoided some of the advice that we are given after surgery. For instance, no alcohol, I ate foods I probably shouldn't have before it was time to, etcetera. Why was I setting myself up to fail? I don't know why either. But please listen when I say there is a reason why there are rules after this surgery. Take them seriously. Now lets get to the Constipation part. Actually my stool was impacted. And if you don't know what that is or how painful it is, count your blessings. I'm sure it all began right after surgery since you can't drink as much Water right after surgery that you could before. Then I started drinking alcohol (a diuretic) about 1 month post op. I usually would drink a snifter of Grand Marnier almost every night because for some reason it made me feel like I wasn't giving up everything. Then I started eating soft foods before my doctor said it was ok because I got sick of only having Protein Shakes and Soup broth. I would vomit if I ate too fast or too much so I slowly learned that lesson. But nothing could have prepared me for the constipation I have been experiencing since surgery. WARNING... HERE IS WHERE IT GETS GRAPHIC. Before surgery I was "regular", once or twice a day actually. Since surgery I have a bowel movement maybe every 3-4 days, sometimes longer. When I was able to go it would come out like grape sized rabbit turds. Then they started getting packed together making it a little harder to get out. But I'd sit on the toilet until it came out. Sometimes I would be in there for over 30 minutes, sweating and cramping until it was over. But today was the worse it has ever been. I felt like I had to have a bowel movement so I went upstairs prepared to stay in the bathroom for awhile. 45 minutes later....nothing. I knew I had to go but it felt like I was trying to pass a football and it was NOT going to come out without a fight. I came down and Googled "severe constipation". A lot of suggestions would only help AFTER whatever was in there came out. I was in so much pain I called the hospital and explained what was happening. They told me that it sounded as though I was "impacted" and I had two choices because at this stage the "plug" has got to I wish I wouldn't have taken his direction so lightly.

sounds awful--are you feeling better now? My surgeon recommends Benefiber every day if you have issues and Miralax if you haven't gone in 3 days. Has worked pretty well for me. I also drink coffee every morning bc my surgeon allows it.

Thank you, I do feel much better but never want to have to do that again. I will be picking up Benefiber tomorrow. Thank you for the information.

I have heard that drinking a little apple juice every day gets it moving - or prune juice if you can handle it.

My MD gave me Colace and said I should take it if I go 2 days without a BM. Take 2x day until I have a BM (usually happens the same day). I haven't had an impaction, but I have had a couple rounds of Constipation, where you feel like you have to go and nothing is happening... or it won't come completely out - so uncomfortable!! In those cases, Milk of Magnesia works well for me.

I think everyone should keep a BM diary after surgery until they feel regular again. When you're on a high protein/low carb diet for a long time, constipation is a very common side effect. Aside from impaction, you could also develop hemorrhoids or a fissure. Even if you're having loose stool, that's not normal either - and you should discuss what's going on with your MD so that medication can be used if needed!

I hope you're feeling better soon!! :)

yes I have noticed that has chanced for me as well.. I used to go several times a day.. I dont have a gallbladder so I went every time I ate it seemed.. but now for me its like.. I dont eat a lot so I only go like once every 3 days or so... weird for me.. I find it was hard to go at times.. but not to the point where ive been in any pain.. just annoying was all.. I will pay more attention to that and maybe get something to help me go. thanks for the advice. :)

I am probably jinxing myself, but since I have increased carbs, this has not been as much of an issue. I am 5 months out.

Since surgery I take Miralax everyday, I am sure I will forever. Don't ever let it get that bad. if it does take Milk of magnesia and you will go very quickly.

Benefiber is great. But not getting enough Water can be a big factor in Constipation. Keeping moving, either walking or exercising, encourages your insides to keep moving too. Before sleeve, fruit juice did it for me - but not any more!

Poor you, been there and don't want it to happen again either....

I hope you are better. Thanks for the post.

Same problem here,,,my doctor has me taking clear Metamucil everyday...not that it helps much. He also gave me a stool softener...I suggest you ask for that.

My problem this week is a large thrumbosed hemorrhoid which I had to have the blood clots removed. I am in even more pain than before and bleeding most of the day. I was regular but not getting enough liquids in. I think this makes you strain more than you should. So everyone make sure you take a stool softener everyday and somekind of Fiber and drink lots of Water and you won't get an impacted bowel or a thrombosed hemorrhoid.

Same problem here' date=',,my doctor has me taking clear Metamucil everyday...not that it helps much. He also gave me a stool softener...I suggest you ask for that.[/quote']

Metamucil, Benefiber and the like are not quick fixes, they're more like maintenance supplements. They're also not very effective unless you're also getting plenty of liquid. Take it to maintain your regularity once things are moving again.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using VST

I prefer to treat this problem with hemp Protein & chia seed. All that fiber will keep things moving.

I prefer to treat this problem with hemp Protein & chia seed. All that fiber will keep things moving.

Excellent options, definitely! I added chia seed to my routine about six weeks ago.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using VST

Excellent options' date=' definitely! I added chia seed to my routine about six weeks ago.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using VST[/quote']

Hemp Protein and chia seed???