Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BIG FAT PEOPLE!

German heritage here too! Along with Scottish and English heritage. It is a good idea I do not have any great great grandparents from Ireland or I would have to be constantly feuding with myself. :) I do love the Irish culture though ( tis where my fiddleman name comes from - love of both Irish and Scottish fiddling). Now that I have hijacked the thread' date=' back to scheduled programming...[/quote']

I'll continue the hijack for a moment by noting that I'm English, Irish, Scottish, German and some Native American. I've always had a real connection to my Celtic heritage :P

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using VST

I missed this thread! I am right on the same page with saffikeagan. I hate to cook and do dishes! Fastfood is SO much easier!!! I can go all day without eating--before the sleeve I wouldn't even think about food--but as soon as evening would hit, I would go for fast and easy. Especially after getting up at 4:30 AM to get my self dressed, my 2 year old, 4 year old, 8 and 10 year old. Then off to drop them off at school, get myself to school (teacher), practice after school (I sponsor the dance team), pick up kiddos from day care...by now it is 7:00/7:30 p.m... so... to cook or not to cook before bathing kids, ironing, homwork, and any in betweens that include taking care of myself (if I get a chance)? Uhhh...NOT TO COOK!

I think my weight had to do with tons of stress and lots of bad foods at bad times. Now that I am post sleeve I have never experienced the mourning of food or a sense of loss. I really believe that I was NOT addicted to food or an emotional eater (I hide in a nice dark room when I am upset), just a bad eater (like munching on chips--my trigger food--in front of the television on weekends).

This summer I really worked on preparing meals, eliminating the bad carbs (sodas, juices, finger foods--CHIPS ESPECIALLY) from my cabinets. School is starting up and I have arranged for help (a cleaning lady--YAY!) during the week so that I do not revert to my old ways of fast food, and so that I don't stress about mess when I am too tired to clean it all up or find an excuse not to cook. I'm not only making this life change for myself, but for my heathens as well.

Stress eater, and my job on its Best day is stress filled. On its worst day, I'm explaining to Congress. And as for heritage, I'm Husky. At least that's where my mom had to buy me clothes from Sears.

I was going to write this on my enabling thread.

But it's more about addiction.

The holidays are coming, I think those are the hardest times for an addict. My husbands ER is filled to the brim all the time during the holidays.

Drug seekers, depression, pain. It all comes out.

For such a happy time, it is one of the saddest seasons for a lot of people.

How am I going to handle the stress the holidays bring.. Memories, some sad flood back this time of year memories of a brother lost. He had an addiction he never found his bottom.. Have I truly found mine? Yes I've had the surgery... But stress still brings thoughts of food and binging.

For some obese people their bottom is death too. A heart attack a stroke or a slow breaking down of the body piece by piece..

I want to think I've hit it and I will never go back.

But tonight numbers, facts, stories, statistics dance in my head instead of the seasons sugar plum fairies...

Tomorrow I am a year.

I am praying that I can make it through the holidays staying strong...this is exactly the time of year I would get off of whatever current diet I would be on...even though I had lost a lot of excess weight and felt soo good - didn't matter, I didn't stay successfully on any diet...I already have in my head the foods I must eat so that I stay full and stay away from the foods I don't need. It's definitely going to be rough, but I am determined to do it!!! I wish you the best, LV...and congrats on your surgiversary

I missed this thead before so I'm glad it's been reposted. ** My name is Seela and I am an addict.

Notice I didn't say food addict?

It doesn't matter what it is.. if I like it its almost like an obsession. I am an ex smoker. I can NEVER take even one hit off another cig or I will be back up to a pack a day. I am an ex gambler. I can never have another diet pepsi... I go through these, I don't know, stages, I guess where I start eating something and I take it way overboard. For ecample... a few years ago I bought a pack of sunflower seeds. It turned into such an obsession I was eating 2-3 bags of sf seeds a day. I had to quit. Last year I discovered cinnamon and sigar Stacys chips. I would eat a least one whole bag every night. It didn't really matter what it was.. I would get focused on it and I would do it to death. This is just who I am and I will struggle with addiction my entire life. On the up side I get addicted to good things too... I (not so) simply Just need to make better choices.

I was going to write this on my enabling thread.

But it's more about addiction.

The holidays are coming, I think those are the hardest times for an addict. My husbands ER is filled to the brim all the time during the holidays.

Drug seekers, depression, pain. It all comes out.

For such a happy time, it is one of the saddest seasons for a lot of people.

How am I going to handle the stress the holidays bring.. Memories, some sad flood back this time of year memories of a brother lost. He had an addiction he never found his bottom.. Have I truly found mine? Yes I've had the surgery... But stress still brings thoughts of food and binging.

For some obese people their bottom is death too. A heart attack a stroke or a slow breaking down of the body piece by piece..

I want to think I've hit it and I will never go back.

But tonight numbers, facts, stories, statistics dance in my head instead of the seasons sugar plum fairies...

Tomorrow I am a year.

I think I can only offer you a hug.

I am only 5 months out, but the longer our the more I have to focus, and pay attention and fight to stay in control and on track.

And Lowell George (another addict lost to us) might have said it best:

It's so easy to slip

It's so easy to fall

And let your memory drift

And do nothin' at all

All the love that you missed

All the people that you can't recall

Do they really exist at all

Well my whole world seems so cold today

All the magics's gone away

And our time together melts away

Like the sad melody I play

Well I don't want to drift forever

In the shadow of your leaving me

So I'll light another cigarette

And try to remember to forget

It's so easy to slip

It's so easy to fall

And let your memory drift

And do nothin' at all

All the love that you missed

All the people that you can't recall

Do they really exist at all

I was going to write this on my enabling thread. But it's more about addiction. The holidays are coming, I think those are the hardest times for an addict. My husbands ER is filled to the brim all the time during the holidays. Drug seekers, depression, pain. It all comes out. For such a happy time, it is one of the saddest seasons for a lot of people. How am I going to handle the stress the holidays bring.. Memories, some sad flood back this time of year memories of a brother lost. He had an addiction he never found his bottom.. Have I truly found mine? Yes I've had the surgery... But stress still brings thoughts of food and binging. For some obese people their bottom is death too. A heart attack a stroke or a slow breaking down of the body piece by piece.. I want to think I've hit it and I will never go back. But tonight numbers, facts, stories, statistics dance in my head instead of the seasons sugar plum fairies... Tomorrow I am a year.

Laura, congratulations on your surgiversarry!! You've done an awesome job and I just hope I can be as successful as you have been. I'm sorry your having a rough time with the Holiday season.

Holidays are my toughest times too. I am one who also used food to Celebrate. Last year I was at goal but had a higher bounce range. This year, I have reset my bounce range to 2lbs, which should help.

Make a list of non food holiday items and activities that make you happy. For me, it's doing things with family like decorating, seeing christmas lights, going to holiday shows and outdoor displays, reading holiday books and watching holiday movies, listening to favorite holiday music, decorating, sending cards, and donating time to a charity. I stock up on scented candles and buy a real tree for the smell. I also plan low calorie favs, such as sugar free caramel and pumpkin syrups, sugar free hot cider mix, and seasonal yogurt flavors. I do not set out candy jars and cookie trays anymore. I buy nuts in the shell, and not a lot of them.

On another note, Laura-Ven, CONGRATS on your first surgiversery! You have done a lot of hard work this year to be successful today and in the future. You are one of the reasons I still enjoy whatever we are calling this group now. And your thoughtful posts have helped so many. I hope when you look in the mirror you see the successful, giving person that we all know and love.

Lynda

Happy surgiversary, Laura!!! You've come a long way, try to focus on the positive. Your brother is free from these burdens. I'm not sure what your beliefs are, but his energy is all around you. Embrace it, smile with his comfort. Know he doesn't want you to suffer. Celebrate his life and the time you've had with him. I really hope you find peace with every aspect of your life. Much love to you and your family.

Wow guys

I dug up this zombie thread. Didn't think anyone would really notice. but waking up this morning I'm glad you guys did :)

It is a heady time of year, I think for a lot of people? I'm so happy that a year ago today that I gave myself the gift of a second chance at health. It's been a crazy up and down year.

But I'm so thankful....thankful for the surgery and the loss yes, but even more thankful for the support that I have found through my friends here.

Wow guys

I dug up this zombie thread. Didn't think anyone would really notice. but waking up this morning I'm glad you guys did :)

It is a heady time of year, I think for a lot of people? I'm so happy that a year ago today that I gave myself the gift of a second chance at health. It's been a crazy up and down year.

But I'm so thankful....thankful for the surgery and the loss yes, but even more thankful for the support that I have found through my friends here.

Congratulations. .. and a lovely Protein Shake toast (here here!) to your sentiment

Yep.. There ya go! A Protein Shake toast. Congrats mizzzzz Laura :)