Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Hi BellaHere is what to do. Call the airline that you flew in on and tell them this:YOU: Yes I am scheduled to fly out on (date) on flight (number). My name is (name).Them: Okay let me pull that up for you. Okay how can I we help you?YOU: I am a gastric surgical patient and when I booked the flight I was certain I would have no problems. I can see now that I will need some assistance post surgery on my way home. I am MOBILE BUT WILL NEED WHEELCHAIR ASSISTANCE. I was also hoping for BULKHEAD SEATING so I can reduce the strain on my surgical site by extending my legs. * If that is not possible may I have a seat in the very back of the plane near the restroom?THEM: Let’s see what we can do.** You can actually pull-up a diagram of your plane and the seat numbers online if you want to pick a seat. The airline reserves the right to switch people around in their seat so you have the opportunity to have priority seating**Them: Okay we’ve arranged to have chair assistance to greet you at the gate…. Thank you for choosing...……………………………….YOU at Denver airport upon being pulled up to the curb. To the skycap “I need a wheelchair”. They will get one. You wait; the skycap takes your luggage and wheels you up for check-in. They wheel you to airside and to the gate. (Patty says tip the person $5 and thank them profusely because this is what they do all day, schlep poor souls like me around airports).You should 1);Be first in line onboard for pre-flight boarding. They will want to know if you can walk to your seat. If you can’t, they have a little scooter but since no one is on the plane, you can take your time walking up the aisle and grabbing the seats for steady as she goes. 2)As the flight attendant for your seat extender so you can belt in while no one is on either side of you. I recommend a window seat as that is one less person on one side of you to bump into. You can also bring your camera to take pictures out the window or you can sleep leaning against the window. You also have control over letting in the light or sliding it down for quiet.Transfer to other flight: You wait until everyone de-boards and make your way up. The wheelchair will be right there. The manifest will have your name and you listed as needing assistance. They will wheel you up and then put you on a golf cart type vehicle and whip you to the other side of the airport where you would have been trying to hoof it by yourself. A wheelchair will be there for you. Be sure and tell the ticket agent you need the wheelchair you are (name).*Be really nice. Unlike the demanding cads who have no reason to complain, we have a real reason to be cautious and airlines have services like this for people like us. **Repeat to the flight attendant that you are mobile and can walk to your seat but need the extender. I have found when you tell the flight attendants you have had Lap Band surgery they are curious, polite, sensitive and encouraging.Hope this helps everyone. I have this down to a drill.

Edited by Lap_dancer

IF YOU BARF ON PLANES.LAPDANCERS REMEDY FOR NO BARF FLIGHTS:Prior to your flight, up t0 12 hours, do not eat anything. You can drink Protein Water, clear fluids. Broth..things like that. Before the actual flight, do not eat anything. The drugs that I personally have had success with is:Klonipan ( a panic drug that quells the amount of adreneline) talk to your doctor about this as I am no M.D. but I do know my body and I get really amped up for flying. Klonipan is a drug I take for panic disorder but modifying my dose to an extra does pre-flight keeps the nausea and nervous stomach at bay.Extra Strength Tylenol. I take this because all my muscles key up and hurt. This helps me relax and the soreness of sitting for many hours is eased to a bit of a painfree experience.If you must: Drink a glass of wine. For me that means sleepy time.Bring a portable DVD player and headphones and watch your favorite movie to kill 2 hours of the flight. Or bring music. I burn a limewire CD or MP3 from Limewire or as a treat I will buy an album off the internet from the musicians.In your pockets pack: Halls mentholyptus cough. The menthol helps open up the lungs and sinus as the stuffiness can make me feel queezy.If you are still ill, go for gingerale. Ginger is a natural healing agent on the stomach. So is black licorice. You can also put some tea in a ziplock bag like peppermint and just ask for hot water from the flight attendants. That will ease the tummy. Avoid coffee. The acid is not so good.Try not to eat. Enjoy the clouds. You can play games like "What do the cloud formations look like". Have favorite activities slotted for internvals of time: 15 minutes of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers* I personally que my CD to some really smokin' song for take-off"Panic in Detroit" by David Bowie"Space Oddity" by BowieThe entire album of Led Zeppelin IVor for the Blues lover Billie Holiday, Nina Simone* You Give Me Fever makes for a snappy take-off.It's a journey friends. The Wright Bros. spent years yearning to fly above like the birds. We sometimes take all that for granted. Happy flying!!!!

This is all really good advice, Lap. We took our 85 year old MIL to England last year using a wheelchair from the airlines for every transfer, etc. It actually went pretty well.

Good afternoon all!

Can anyone tell me if Dr. Kirschenbaum accepts low BMI patients? Specifically I'm talking about 33BMI with no comorbidities. Any response would be appreciated. Thanks.:blush:

Good afternoon all!

Can anyone tell me if Dr. Kirschenbaum accepts low BMI patients? Specifically I'm talking about 33BMI with no comorbidities. Any response would be appreciated. Thanks.:cool2:

I would call the office and ask Natalie. She's very nice.

RR pals~I won't be able to make it tonight! I have a last minute meeting at 6:00...boooo hisssss, this person cancelled on me Monday and I have no other days available this week. If she last minute cancels, I will take off to RR, I only live about 20 minutes away.

I'll miss y'all!

Sunshine: how did it go with Dr. K. How long did it take??? Good luck tomorrow.

Thanks for asking. It went well. The surgery only took 55 mins according to Dr. K. Recovery took a little longer than expected, but now I'm doing okay. Thanks a lot!:cool2:

Adorkable: my I ask what a HIDA scan is?

HIDA scan is a test that checks the function of the gallbladder. Basically they injected a radioactive material into my IV and then had me lay under a nuclear scanner for 1.5 hours while it worked it's way through my liver, gallbladder etc. It was a ball of fun. So glad I borught a book with me to read while I laid there.

Thanks for asking. It went well. The surgery only took 55 mins according to Dr. K. Recovery took a little longer than expected, but now I'm doing okay. Thanks a lot!:smile:

So glad your surgery went well! Yeah! Glad you are feeling better. :cool2:

Well, back from Red Robin. Got to meet Dee, bookholder, lifesaver, and a couple of others. I had such a good time. Even my daughter had fun. Dee took pictures and I am sure she will post them.

Sunshine: so glad all went well. I am nervous but anxious.

Lap: Thanks so much for the advice. I will definitely call ahead. I did call and ask about a non-stop flight but it was too expensive. Lifesaver is going to call (she know some people) and see if she can help me.

Good luck tomorrow, Bella. Glad you had fun at RR. Aren't the ladies the best? Can't wait to see pics.

gbear . . . if you're lurking, hope things went well today!

Well, done with being banded. This is just the beginning, right?

I ran into Lotza both in Dr. K's office on Tuesday and at the surgery center this morning. Her surgery was after mine and by the time she joined us all in the recovery room (in a stall next to me, hee!) I was just barely getting coherent again. Lotza, I knew you couldn't reply because you were pretty heavily drugged, but hopefully you heard my good wishes for you!

My surgery went well, too, and I am very thankful for that! Just an hour for the surgery. My anesthesiologist (Dr. Alex Carrillo) was also very nice (and handsome, too, hee!) and explained in detail what he was going to do and the *whys* as well. As a science geek at heart, I love that.

I needed more pain meds in the recovery room, which made me verrrrry sleepy. For a very brief moment, I felt guilty about taking up more time in there, but admitted that that was just silly. I should take as long as I need to take! But luckily, it wasn't that much more time.

Also, as those of you who went to RR know, I wasn't able to make it tonight. I didn't realize just how far it is from my relatives' houses northwest Denver, so I had already done a lot of driving that day and I was pretty much done with that. I hope you all had a great time!

Bella, I LOVE your new name, too. And such an excellent nickname we all get to use now. =)

gbear . . . if you're lurking, hope things went well today!

hahaha, we just missed each other. I just finished delurking. =) Thanks, everything went well today. I took the liquid vicodone one last time (I can't believe I haven't fallen asleep while typing yet, to be honest), but I hope to be on regular Tylenol tomorrow. I don't like the narcotics, blech.

And I forgot to formally tell Bella good luck tomorrow, so... good luck tomorrow!!