Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

I was camping all weekend and wow I had a lot to read when I got back. I'm glad to hear that everyone is doing good.

Mini- So happy to hear that your headache is gone and you are on track. Makes me feel a little less nervous as well. I bet it is such a wonderful feeling knowing that you are on your journey.

I started my preop diet today and I feel like I am at a loss, I have never had an interest in a no carb diet lol.:blink: I am thinking of picking up the Adkins book so I can have a field guide. I am not sure if everyone else felt like this but I am feeling a little unprepared, like I need to do more research on the post op stuff. I hate not having an exact and maybe that is what it is lol. Cold feet maybe too. I know I have a while so it seems silly to worry already but I know how time flies. I drive my hubby insane with my need for a definite.

I am also already starting my worry about keeping it off...:wink: I have yo-yod so many times and I want this to be it ya know. I am sure I am not alone in this one. Just worry worry worry, compiled by worry about my move to Colorado. I just need to shake things off... being silly

I am soooo glad that I can get on here and feel reassured. You are all such a wonderful and strong bunch of ladies. I loved seeing the pictures. Looks like you had fun :wink2:

ok I am done yabber yabber yabberin'

Jilly!

Hi!

I'm sorry you're getting nervous, BUT it's totally normal!

Let me tell you what I ate on the pre-op and maybe you can get some ideas. I had to be on it twice, once before Thanksgiving and then again after the New Year. I learned that I had to plan my meals a head of time and have them partially prepared so that I wouldn't be tempted to grab something bad for me. I've carried that habit on to my banding life too and it works!

Breakfast: eggs, any type of meat is fine

Lunch: chicken, Fish, Turkey -- veggies are great!

Dinner: Burgers sans the bun, more veggies.

Breakfast for me was almost always eggs. I love eggs and they were easy. I also had some turkey sausage. Of course, no toast.

lunch, I'd have a taco salad, no tortilla bowl. A huge salad with everything you can think of, except the croutons. I also had Chicken and turkey a lot during this time. Grilled fish. I would go to Toyko Joes and get the chicken and veggies with the sugar free sauce.

dinner, for me a lot of time was a stew in the crockpot without the potatoes. I made steaks, brisket, roasted chicken from Cost Co was perfect -- I made a chicken salad and ate it wrapped in lettuce. I loved it. I made a red chili in the crockpot with meat only and tiny chopped up veggies. We ate a lot at Cheeburger Cheeburger - I'd get mine on top of a salad. We also ate at Boston Market. You can have all the veggies you want, no potatoes. All the salad and all the meat. We went to the Tomato Cafe and had salad. Eat things you love, just make sure they have no carbs in them. Remember some BBQ sauces and Ketchups have a lot of carbs.

Maybe someone else can give you some more breakfast ideas. I'm pretty simple when it comes to eating.

Edited by PrtyAntOvrYt
My spelling sucks!

:tt1:Week 6 of BBQ Weight Loss Challenge~

Bandito Goal --1st week-2nd week-3rd Week-4th week-5th week-6th week

Dee = 20lbs +4.6lbs-7.0lbs-1.0lb+0.0+4.2lbs-6.6lbs:tt1:

Bookholder = 15lbs+0.0+0.0-1.0+0.0+0.0+2.0lbs:tt1:

Brandy = 25lbs-4.5-5.7lbs+2.0-1.0-1.0biggrin.gif

Woofay = 15lbs+4.0lbs-4.0lbs+1.0-1.0+0.0+0.0:tt1: (just to even it out Anita! and bring you up to date)

Mal = 15lbs +0.0-2.8lbs-2.0lbs-1.4lbs+1.0lbs+0.0:tt1:

LA = 23lbs+1.0lb-1.0lb-3.0-1.0-2.0+1.0:tt1:

Marcy = 15lbs+0.0-5.0lbs+1.5lbs-0.5-1.0+3.0lbs:tt1:

Lapdancer = 20lbs +4.0lbs-5.4lbs-1.7lbs+0.0-3.0-3.0:tt1:

Shelbi = 20lbs -2.6+2.0-2.5lbs-3.0lbs-1.0lbs-2.0:tt1:

Amieru = 20lbs-2lbs-5.0lbs+2.0-5.0-1.0+0.0:tt1:

Sidann = 20lbs-4.5lbs+1.5lbs-3.0lbs-3.0lbs+2.0

Lifesaver = 20lbs-1.0lb-1.5lbs-2.0+1.0-4.0-1.5:tt1:

John T = 15lbs-2.0lbs+0.0lbs+0.0-3.0-2.0-1.0:tt1:

bahotmamma = 20 lbs -1.5lbs-1.0lbs-2.0-4.0-2.0:tt1:

Munchkin=---------------------------0.0+0.0-3.0:tt1:

Week One Losses 18.1lbs (6.8%)

Week Two Losses 24.8lbs (10.2%)

Week Three Losses 18.2lbs :blink:

Week Four Losses 18.9lbs :wink2:

Week Five Lossses 21.0lbs biggrin.gif

Week Six Losses 20.1 :wink:

Edited by PrtyAntOvrYt

Ty TY Ty Dee!!

I appreciate all of the help and food suggestions. You are right, I love all of that stuff, I think it may be the "can't have" part of it lol.

Cheers, Jill

If you like meat and Veggies, you should be okay. Just enjoy being able to eat whatever Meat you want without fearing they will stick. Mini had a great salad when we met for her last supper! I think most places have lots to choose from when you're on the pre-op.

Hi everyone,

Just been reading lately. I guess i have been feeling like the others preparing for surgery. Am I ready?? I started my pre-op diet two days ago. I am not having a problem finding things to eat but it is hard giving up the bad habits. I am a carb addict and for some reason, I don't feel satisfied without some sort of carb on my plate. I am also having a problem with night time. I am used to having chips and dip or nachos at night. Any snack ideas for this preop diet? One more important question....DO I NEED TO GIVE UP MY REGULAR coffee? ??????

Sunshine: maybe I will see you when I go in for pre-op visit on the 16th.

Jillypoo: Your fears are the same as mine. Let us be brave!

What did you guys bring with you? Since this is my first real flying experience, can I bring drinks with me to have after surgery? Did anyone try the Special K Protein Water after surgery? What are the best Protein Drinks? I know, I know....so many questions. Ok so here's another question. If protein is supposed to make you feel fuller, why am I still hungry on the pre-op diet. I am eating more protein and drinking the Atkins chocolate shake (love it)....still hungry.

Ok, this is the last question....is anyone meeting at the Red Robin on the 16th?

Lisa

GBear -- Welcome! How'd you slip in without me noticing?? Glad to have you here!

Deb & Mini -- Love the wheels, ladies!

Jill & FW -- I think everyone here went through the same pre-op jitters. Take it one day, one meal at a time. FW -- I haven't given up my regular coffee. I hope I'm not steering you wrong, but no one ever mentioned it to me. :confused2: This may sound gross, but if you've got to have something low carb,crunchy and salty -- try pork rhines (sp?); they fit in with Dr. K's "No sugar, no potatoes, no Pasta, no bread... not even so much as a cracker!" instructions I received, but they are of no nutritional value so not a good frequent choice. I remember getting Gatorade and Propel when I went to Walgreen's to pick up my prescriptions after my pre-op appointment and I drank those after surgery. Hang in there, this part will be behind you soon!

Dee -- Today's stats: Exercise -- Spin class tonight and walked a mile this morning. Steel Oats -- check. No red meat -- check. I even drank 4 oz of unsweetened grape juice tonight -- but I don't know if I'll do that routinely -- too many carbs!! How's your day been???

Things have changed for me the last 2 days with my eating. I think I may need another fill. I am hungry too soon, can eat more than a cup at a time and I'm obsessing about food. My fills are $175, which is alot for me right now. I had hoped to make it through the summer and get a small fill when I'm almost at goal to keep me at a good spot. That's still the plan, but I'm having self-doubt. I know that it's probably all in my head -- I know I can't afford a fill, so I'm freaking out that all is doomed and I'm going to gain and I'm not going to make goal. I need to relax. Sheesh. Thanks for listening.

Widow~ I had a really hard time with the "no starch on my plate" thing too. What I started subing in was cottage cheese. Its white (I love it) and it really was what I needed on the plate. Some people like creamed cauliflower. I like it some, but not as well as I wished I did. (its so lo-cal)

For breakfast, you're kinda SOL if you don't like eggs. :blink: You can have pretty much any kind of omlette you want.

*Sausage has no carbs

*cheese has no carbs

*sour cream has no carbs

*salad dressings that are NOT low fat are lower in carbs

*Bacon has no carbs

*bologna has very little carbs

*ham has no carbs

*Butter has no carbs

*hot dogs have no carbs

*salsa is very low in carbs

*cottage cheese is very low in carbs

*cream cheese has no carbs

Some of these foods are higher in fat than others but...when you start the low carb thing...do something to help you not go nuts. (fat=flavor=higher level of satisfaction)

And you can get the Atkin's diet if you want, but...he has some things that he does not consider okay because his diet is a little more "pure" than just low carb. He also wanted pure form foods...so to him hot dogs and lunch meat are No No's. The purpose of this low carb phase before surgery is not to go into Keytosis as Atkins is...this is just to flush the fatty parts out of your liver and shrink it to make surgery easier. (it also jump starts weight loss, and that is fun!) :wink2:

Good luck with it! It gets easier after about day 4 or 5 or it.

And, if you've ever had the chance to go through the thread here, I FREAKED out so bad before my surgery!

Have a great night!

Widow~ I had a really hard time with the "no starch on my plate" thing too. What I started subing in was cottage cheese. Its white (I love it) and it really was what I needed on the plate. Some people like creamed cauliflower. I like it some, but not as well as I wished I did. (its so lo-cal)

For breakfast, you're kinda SOL if you don't like eggs. :blink: You can have pretty much any kind of omlette you want.

*Sausage has no carbs

*cheese has no carbs

*sour cream has no carbs

*salad dressings that are NOT low fat are lower in carbs

*Bacon has no carbs

*bologna has very little carbs

*ham has no carbs

*Butter has no carbs

*hot dogs have no carbs

*salsa is very low in carbs

*cottage cheese is very low in carbs

*cream cheese has no carbs

Some of these foods are higher in fat than others but...when you start the low carb thing...do something to help you not go nuts. (fat=flavor=higher level of satisfaction)

And you can get the Atkin's diet if you want, but...he has some things that he does not consider okay because his diet is a little more "pure" than just low carb. He also wanted pure form foods...so to him hot dogs and lunch meat are No No's. The purpose of this low carb phase before surgery is not to go into Keytosis as Atkins is...this is just to flush the fatty parts out of your liver and shrink it to make surgery easier. (it also jump starts weight loss, and that is fun!) :wink2:

Good luck with it! It gets easier after about day 4 or 5 or it.

And, if you've ever had the chance to go through the thread here, I FREAKED out so bad before my surgery!

Have a great night!

I loved me some hotdogs! I would get one at Cost Co -- without the bun and dip it in mustard! Yummy! I also ate some nuts, like pecans and walnuts. They are low carbs. I love cottage cheese with a little salt and pepper and hot sauce on it.

Remember it took me about 5 days before I was back to my normal energy girl? It will cause you to feel exhausted for the first 4-5 days if you've really cut all carbs out of your diet.

Anita, you told me several times that was normal and for me to just hang on and it would improve and it did!

GBear -- Welcome! How'd you slip in without me noticing?? Glad to have you here!

Jill & FW -- I think everyone here went through the same pre-op jitters. Take it one day, one meal at a time. FW -- I haven't given up my regular coffee. I hope I'm not steering you wrong, but no one ever mentioned it to me. :confused2: This may sound gross, but if you've got to have something low carb,crunchy and salty -- try pork rhines (sp?); they fit in with Dr. K's "No sugar, no potatoes, no Pasta, no bread... not even so much as a cracker!" instructions I received, but they are of no nutritional value so not a good frequent choice. I remember getting Gatorade and Propel when I went to Walgreen's to pick up my prescriptions after my pre-op appointment and I drank those after surgery. Hang in there, this part will be behind you soon!

Dee -- Today's stats: Exercise -- Spin class tonight and walked a mile this morning. Steel Oats -- check. No red meat -- check. I even drank 4 oz of unsweetened grape juice tonight -- but I don't know if I'll do that routinely -- too many carbs!! How's your day been???

Things have changed for me the last 2 days with my eating. I think I may need another fill. I am hungry too soon, can eat more than a cup at a time and I'm obsessing about food. My fills are $175, which is alot for me right now. I had hoped to make it through the summer and get a small fill when I'm almost at goal to keep me at a good spot. That's still the plan, but I'm having self-doubt. I know that it's probably all in my head -- I know I can't afford a fill, so I'm freaking out that all is doomed and I'm going to gain and I'm not going to make goal. I need to relax. Sheesh. Thanks for listening.

Shelbi!

My partner!

Oats - check

NO red meat - check

cycling 35mins - check

fat 33% of total cals - check!

Good job! We're on a roll!

I can't wait to weight myself in the am!

I'm so proud of you!!!

I could just give you a BIG Hug!

Dee!!!! I lost a pound today! OMG! Its been a while! Hope I can hold on to that pound for the weigh-in saturday. I hope this fill is what I needed to jump start the loss again.

Shelbi~Don't freak out...all is not doomed! You'll do okay until you can get your fill. Don't worry. You can do it! :wink2:

Hi everyone,

Just been reading lately. I guess i have been feeling like the others preparing for surgery. Am I ready?? I started my pre-op diet two days ago. I am not having a problem finding things to eat but it is hard giving up the bad habits. I am a carb addict and for some reason, I don't feel satisfied without some sort of carb on my plate. I am also having a problem with night time. I am used to having chips and dip or nachos at night. Any snack ideas for this preop diet? One more important question....DO I NEED TO GIVE UP MY REGULAR coffee? ??????

Jillypoo: Your fears are the same as mine. Let us be brave!

What did you guys bring with you? Since this is my first real flying experience, can I bring drinks with me to have after surgery? Did anyone try the Special K Protein Water after surgery? What are the best protein drinks? I know, I know....so many questions. Ok so here's another question. If protein is supposed to make you feel fuller, why am I still hungry on the pre-op diet. I am eating more protein and drinking the Atkins chocolate shake (love it)....still hungry.

Ok, this is the last question....is anyone meeting at the Red Robin on the 16th?

Lisa

Hi Fatwidow!

What time is your surgery? I'll need to give you my name and phone number for you to list it on the pre-op form. Also I'll need your real name so I won't look like a freak asking if I can pick up, "Fatwidow"

About being hungry. There is no limit to what you can eat now, just the NO carbs rule. Drinking the Atkins shake is not going to keep you satiated. After banding it will before, it won't. I'd focus on eating solid Proteins and veggies rather than drinking the shakes. That's just my opinion... plus there will be plenty of time to drink Protein Shakes after your surgery. Enjoy those good salads, a nice steak or some of those crunchy Pork rinds.

I actually loved being able to eat any kind of omelet I wanted!

After your banded and through the post-op diet, you can return to your good carbs.

I'm not sure about the plane regulations and checking liquids, but maybe you can buy some things here. Like gatorade, Isopure clear protein drinks or the Special k drinks. There is a Super Target, Walmart and Walgreens not far from the hospital. Also there is a Target pretty close to your hotel.

Good Luck!

Your day is almost here!

AND we are scooting over on the bench to make room for all the new Banditos!

BTW, are you renting a car? AND we are meeting at the Red Robin on the 16th. It's actually also very close to your hotel!

See you soon!

hugs,

dee~

Thanks for the list Anita. I know some of the things on there are processed. I did ask at the deli for "real" turkey breast (Sarah Lee) and it is yummy. I called Natalie and asked if I can have the Atkins shake and she said yes and I also could have one piece of fruit a day. Does anyone know which fruit are the lowest carb? Fruit and cottage cheese....yummy.

Dee: I did hear of mashed potatoes made with cauliflower. I never tried it.

What about that taco salad that was mentioned earlier. Did you use taco seasoning? Does it have added sugar?

What about beverages taken on the plane?

Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the list Anita. I know some of the things on there are processed. I did ask at the deli for "real" turkey breast (Sarah Lee) and it is yummy. I called Natalie and asked if I can have the Atkins shake and she said yes and I also could have one piece of fruit a day. Does anyone know which fruit are the lowest carb? Fruit and cottage cheese....yummy.

Dee: I did hear of mashed potatoes made with cauliflower. I never tried it.

What about that taco salad that was mentioned earlier. Did you use taco seasoning? Does it have added sugar?

What about beverages taken on the plane?

Thanks everyone.

I took beverages in a bag with my medications. At first the TSA folks were planning to take away the beverages, but then I explained that I had to have them with my medication so they let them through. I think it will depend on how reasonable the person is at security at a given time. I would just try to make sure that you are plenty hydrated before you get on the flight and, if they do take away your fluids, buy a bottle of Water when you're past security and sip it on the flight.

AND!!!! If you wake up with a headache and feeling nauseous the day of your flight, call Dr. K. BEFORE you get on the plane. Don't be silly and wait until later like I did. I could just kick myself. I'm sure he could have given me something different for pain and nausea and the whole problem would have been avoided. Sometimes being stubborn is a bad bad thing.

Dang! I forgot about pork rinds!! I should have had them while I had the chance, cuz I sure would like something crunchy and salty right now!!

Shelbi, if you're feeling too hungry with your oats/no red meat thing, maybe you should go back to doing what you were doing before and then work on your cholesterol AFTER you're able to afford a fill. Everybody's body responds so differently, and I know that I feel STARVED when I don't eat red meat. It just seems to be something I need to feel right. Just my opinion, but something to think about. I'm sure dee will forgive you :(

Hi everyone,

Just been reading lately. I guess i have been feeling like the others preparing for surgery. Am I ready?? I started my pre-op diet two days ago. I am not having a problem finding things to eat but it is hard giving up the bad habits. I am a carb addict and for some reason, I don't feel satisfied without some sort of carb on my plate. I am also having a problem with night time. I am used to having chips and dip or nachos at night. Any snack ideas for this preop diet?

Ok so here's another question. If Protein is supposed to make you feel fuller, why am I still hungry on the pre-op diet.

Lisa

Ok, so I am having the hardest time right now!! I have been on the preope diet for 3 days now and am DYING!!! I agree, we must be carb addicts!! I went to dinner with some friends(supportive ones), they both got great looking salads, and what did I get? A frikkin' bowl of lettuce with cheese sprinkled on top and 2 grape tomatoes!!! I think the waiter thought I was crazy. SO I get home afterwards and the house smells like cup o noodles cuz hubby needed dinner, and I started crying(still crying), can I really do this?? Am I strong enough to pull free of this hold that food has on me? Is it going to be worth it?:(