Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Ok, so I am having the hardest time right now!! I have been on the preope diet for 3 days now and am DYING!!! I agree, we must be carb addicts!! I went to dinner with some friends(supportive ones), they both got great looking salads, and what did I get? A frikkin' bowl of lettuce with cheese sprinkled on top and 2 grape tomatoes!!! I think the waiter thought I was crazy. SO I get home afterwards and the house smells like cup o noodles cuz hubby needed dinner, and I started crying(still crying), can I really do this?? Am I strong enough to pull free of this hold that food has on me? Is it going to be worth it?:(

Pardon me, but why didn't you have a big salad? You can have all the veggies you want except for the potatoes! Anyone else, please correct me if I'm wrong. But I lived on huge salads with every veggie available! Squash, tomatoes, cheese, tuna, sunflower seeds, onions, celery, bell peppers... it's all good. You don't have to sacrifice the veggies. Paula told me I could have all the veggies I wanted except for the Potatoes.

And believe me Lotza, it is totally worth it! But you have to find the stuff you can eat and eat those things. Don't be hungry, don't allow yourself to sacrifice. The pre-op is not a difficult diet to follow. Truly. You can do this! AND after the post-op period it gets much easier!

Amen, sista' dee. Lotza, the night before my surgery I had a salad that was covered with STEAK! Everyday I ate meat and cheese and veggies and almonds and all kinds of good stuff and I did NOT let myself go hungry. Hubby and I went to IHOP and I had a huge veggie omelet and a side of bacon instead of hash browns and toast.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Look at all the people on this board who have made it through this process and totally changed their lives. YOU CAN DO IT TOO! Now go eat a piece of cheese or some nuts or whatever will make you fill less hungry and remember why you are doing this and how WONDERFUL it will be in the end.

Amen, sista' dee. Lotza, the night before my surgery I had a salad that was covered with STEAK! Everyday I ate meat and cheese and veggies and almonds and all kinds of good stuff and I did NOT let myself go hungry. Hubby and I went to IHOP and I had a huge veggie omelet and a side of bacon instead of hash browns and toast.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Look at all the people on this board who have made it through this process and totally changed their lives. YOU CAN DO IT TOO! Now go eat a piece of cheese or some nuts or whatever will make you fill less hungry and remember why you are doing this and how WONDERFUL it will be in the end.

Yup! You got it Girlfriend! That salad of yours looked so good! I hate to get salads out when I'm by myself or the only one eating it because I don't eat much of it and it isn't good the next day, BUT they are great to share with my daughter!

I had to do the pre-op diet twice! The first time was over Thanksgiving. I was at work -- happy to be there and my friend brought me a turkey leg her husband had smoked! That was my lunch the next day and it was so good! I never felt hungry -- I felt exhausted like I wanted to sleep constantly for about 5 days, but then I was okay. The second time I did the diet (both times for 14 days each) it was two weeks after Christmas.

Hmmm, know you have me thinking about that salad of yours!

That's so funny. At least you didn't ask for Mini. That would have been even funnier.

Yesterday I wore a pair of stretch knit pants and rolled the waistband down low. I just couldn't figure out what else to wear. I think tonight I'll wear a high waisted dress or something.

I know what you mean about missing everybody. I haven't had this many friends at one time since grade school! I swear!!:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

At least she didn't ask for Minnie Driver!:( Oh wait, that's me and Shelbie that picture you as Minnie Driver! Silly me!

Ok, I am feeling a little better. I had a big taco salad tonight, which was yummy. I like my Pepsi so that will be hard to give up. Thank you all for your tips, it's nice to know that you all survived:( I just had no idea what I could or couldn't read and there isn't a lot of info on the net about exactly what you can eat. Can I have popcorn? ? That is my all time favorite night time snack. I just have to keep in mind that it is only 2 weeks, I have done harder things...like having babies right? :biggrin2:

FW- When is your surgery? Is your pre-op or surgery date the 16th? My pre-op is the 22nd and my surgery is the 23rd. Was kind of hoping for a buddy lol.

Jilly

Ok, I am feeling a little better. I had a big taco salad tonight, which was yummy. I like my Pepsi so that will be hard to give up. Thank you all for your tips, it's nice to know that you all survived:thumbup: I just had no idea what I could or couldn't read and there isn't a lot of info on the net about exactly what you can eat. Can I have popcorn? ? That is my all time favorite night time snack. I just have to keep in mind that it is only 2 weeks, I have done harder things...like having babies right? :biggrin2:

Hi JillyPoo! You can do it! You've gotten the right advice here already -- no potatoes, no rice, no Pasta, no sugar. As for popcorn, I'm going to say probably not. And you may as well get used to not using it as your go-to snack anyway. It's one of those "potentially problematic" foods, and it's certainly not low-carb. I know some surgeons ban it entirely but I believe it was just on Paula's post-surgery "try with caution" list. I haven't tried it. I have tried most nuts and seeds with no problems, though. I imagine popcorn getting stuck easier for whatever reason.

I loved my Diet Coke and Diet Dr. Pepper too...and I haven't had them in nearly six months. I quit before my pre-op diet. No gum or drinking from straws, either. I don't need any of it. And you know what? I do occasionally miss that feeling of carbonated beverages on my tongue, but I'm really doing just fine with my Water, Crystal Light, tea and the occasional diluted juice. You can do it. It's worth it. I promise! :(

Edited by GreenChrysalis

Hi JillyPoo! You can do it! You've gotten the right advice here already -- no potatoes, no rice, no Pasta, no sugar. As for popcorn, I'm going to say probably not. And you may as well get used to not using it as your go-to snack anyway. It's one of those "potentially problematic" foods, and it's certainly not low-carb. I know some surgeons ban it entirely but I believe it was just on Paula's post-surgery "try with caution" list. I haven't tried it. I have tried most nuts and seeds with no problems, though. I imagine popcorn getting stuck easier for whatever reason.

I loved my Diet Coke and Diet Dr. Pepper too...and I haven't had them in nearly six months. I quit before my pre-op diet. No gum or drinking from straws, either. I don't need any of it. And you know what? I do occasionally miss that feeling of carbonated beverages on my tongue, but I'm really doing just fine with my Water, Crystal Light, tea and the occasional diluted juice. You can do it. It's worth it. I promise! :(

Great Post Green!

Popcorn is 100% carbs... so I'd say don't eat it during your preop diet.

I have eaten popcorn several times since being banded. I get the Smart Pop and have the single serving as a snack. I call it a slider food for me. It's like chips. I eat one kernel at a time and chew it at least 30 times. It goes down, probably too well for me.

I also do no gum - for fear of swallowing it and it gives me gas!

I also do no straws due to the gas, but Dr. K didn't tell me not to, I read it somewhere else.

I never miss my Diet Pepsi until my daughter is drinking it and I smell it! I do drink Joint Juice that is has a little fizz, but I open it in the morning and pour it over ice and then don't drink it until after dinner. It's totally flat by then and diluted by the melted ice.

Have a good day My Green Sister!

Thanks for your replies everyone! I have been having big salads and lots of veggies and meat, but was having a weak moment last night. I'm much better now. Especially since I got on the scale this morning and have lost 3 lbs!!! I'm going to borrow my Mom's digital scale to double check, but it makes me feel much better! Now I'm gonna go make an omelet with cheese!!

Thanks for your replies everyone! I have been having big salads and lots of veggies and meat, but was having a weak moment last night. I'm much better now. Especially since I got on the scale this morning and have lost 3 lbs!!! I'm going to borrow my Mom's digital scale to double check, but it makes me feel much better! Now I'm gonna go make an omelet with cheese!!

Congrats on that weight loss!

I lost 17 the first time and 13 the second... unfortunately I had already gained the 17 back plus more before I lost the 13!

It was a vicious cycle back in the pre-bandito life of mine!

Lotza~I just read your post this morning...my heart broke for you. The first 4 or 5 days of that low carb stuff makes you feel so bad and tired....and you'll pee every hour or so. But you are depriving yourself way too much. You could have had a grilled chicken salad with full fat dressing, cheese, bacon, mushrooms...the whole salad, just minus the croutons...thats all you would need to leave off.

And depending on where you go out to eat...you can get Half a bbq chicken, with creamed cauliflower (some places will let you sub in cottage cheese for the mashed or baked potato) and green Beans with the salad bar...don't go hungry! And although Dr. K. is pretty much against diet or regular soda...right now you can still have diet coke.(or diet pepsi) Another good satisfying food is tuna Salad (if you like tuna). there is nothing in tuna salad..mayo,onion, celery, pickle..however you make it...its all 0kay. Throw some of that on some greens with Tomato and salad dressing...mmmmm!

LOTZA~You can do this! Change is hard and it truly sucks, but its easier with the Band and we are all doing it together.:biggrin2: I just wish I had gotten my band earlier. Hang in there girly!!!!:(

Mal!

Did you say you got some instant steel cut oats?

I have been busy lately and don't want to end up not eating my oats if I haven't cooked it the night before. Can you tell me the brand of your instant steel cuts?

Thanks!!!

Lotza~I just read your post this morning...my heart broke for you. The first 4 or 5 days of that low carb stuff makes you feel so bad and tired....and you'll pee every hour or so. But you are depriving yourself way too much. You could have had a grilled chicken salad with full fat dressing, cheese, bacon, mushrooms...the whole salad, just minus the croutons...thats all you would need to leave off.

And depending on where you go out to eat...you can get Half a bbq chicken, with creamed cauliflower (some places will let you sub in cottage cheese for the mashed or baked potato) and green Beans with the salad bar...don't go hungry! And although Dr. K. is pretty much against diet or regular soda...right now you can still have diet coke.(or diet pepsi) Another good satisfying food is tuna Salad (if you like tuna). there is nothing in tuna salad..mayo,onion, celery, pickle..however you make it...its all 0kay. Throw some of that on some greens with Tomato and salad dressing...mmmmm!

LOTZA~You can do this! Change is hard and it truly sucks, but its easier with the Band and we are all doing it together.:biggrin2: I just wish I had gotten my band earlier. Hang in there girly!!!!:(

The brochure Dr. Kirshenbaums office gave me said no Condiments with sugar in them, so I have been avoiding everything with sugar. I am allowed sour cream so I found some ranch dip powder that doesn't have any and made some dip, I use it on my salads too. I just didn't want to risk messing up at the restaurant last night. I really am doing better today, and thinking real hard for more variety, and am going to buy some butter and saute some mushrooms for lunch!! YUM!!!

The brochure Dr. Kirshenbaums office gave me said no Condiments with sugar in them, so I have been avoiding everything with sugar. I am allowed sour cream so I found some ranch dip powder that doesn't have any and made some dip, I use it on my salads too. I just didn't want to risk messing up at the restaurant last night. I really am doing better today, and thinking real hard for more variety, and am going to buy some butter and saute some mushrooms for lunch!! YUM!!!

I'm glad you're feeling better!

Good!

I know that mayo doesn't have carbs and most blue cheese dressings do not. Some ranch doesn't also. Just check the label.

ketchup has lots of carbs, but mustard doesn't. I prefer Miracle Whip, but changed to Mayo during that time.

Don't forget our next Red Robin Meeting is:

July 16th @ 7pm

Red Robin @ Arapahoe and I-25

I hope everyone in the area can join us!

Lotza, I'm glad you're feeling better today. Omelets are a great thing to eat right now . . . so satisfying and yummy.