Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

:) Okay -

I guess I am in my sweet spot, because any time I eat too fast, don't chew enough, etc. I am PB'ing. :sick I am going to soft foods for a day I think. I guess the band didn't like the ribs and cauliflower I made for dinner. Yet I could eat filet mignon last week, the band is fickle, but mindful. :attention::attention:

So, dear friends, I guess there really IS a band in there. And I will have to pay attention to it. I think at first I was more careful about the "feeling" and would stop eating, but this is a disease and I am a willful child about food. I WILL eat this. Well, I can eat it, but it comes back to haunt me. Tee...hee...

Welcome to new band friends. :clap2: Don't let my confession upset you. I have been a semi-perfect bandster for three months and this is why I chose it. The band is teaching me the restraint and good sense that I have never applied to food choices, portions, or even what my body signals were telling me. I'm right with ya Lap Dancer :kiss - it is teaching me HARD!

So Anita (Woofay) - I guess your fill isn't quite like mine. I am so happy that you can enjoy your time with your brother. Don't beat yourself up, just get back on track when he leaves and the extra weight will come off. Maybe go hiking at Garden of the Gods instead of hitting Ruby's, sorry to your husband. I also think that it might be instructive to really talk about your relationship with him. Is food essential? Could it be healthy food? Why is food like that with him? I analyze the shit outta everything, you know best.

Mal - So glad your heart feels full again. You are a dog lady and have to nurture.

Marcy - so glad you are doing well. Once you get a fill or two, you will get the feedback the band provides. (see the above personal experience) tee....hee...

Mark - long time no see, glad to have you back :ranger:

Shesha - glad your port is right side up or whatever, and I think you are remarkably commited - asking Dr. K to fill in your surgical wound. You are my hero! :wow2:

Anyone else out there - hugs:grouphug: and listen to your band (my lesson of the week):violin:

Michelle

No, I did not pay for anything. Just my flight out there and hotel. Dr K. paid for everything regarding the surgery and did not charge me for my fill, either.

Shesha - I'm curious...did you have to pay for all that? I remember someone sayting that he "guaranteed" his procedure for a year, but not really sure on that.

Drew - what about you? did he charge you for the complications?

Yes! That was you! How neat. I would have stayed to give you more info, but I had to get my presriptions filled and catch my flight.

You are the first LBT Dr. K bandster to meet me, lucky gal.. tee hee!!! :)

probably--I asked if you were a satisfied customer or some similarly inane comment. I arrived a little after 2:30

Here is a post that talks about my post op experience...http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f84/recovery-time-29057/#post383347

I was one of those who could go shopping, etc. I am pretty healthy otherwise, just fat.:)

I wouldn't be a good example though as to how I've done with the band. Since my port was flipped, I could not get any fills and really lost my motivation. Plus, I could pretty much eat whatever I wanted. I only didn't gain, since I was still pretty conscious of what I ate.

Not to be intrusive, but would you mind sharing your experience post op? I had gallbladder surgery and the gas pains were unbelievable--Do you mind sharing how much you lost? How soon were you able to resume a fairly normal life style--I hear about people who go shopping the next day, etc.
</p>

Yes, that about sums it up. I really do feel like I am a "newbie". Going through all of this has really motivated me. Hopefully the scale with start moving down again!!

btw.. good luck with your fill tomorrow! It's really good to hear from you, too! Don't be a stranger. We like your insightful, yet sarcastic, comments!;)

Glad to hear you have that behind you now Shesha. Sounds like it all worked out. Great news. Now you can finally start your bandster life.

I go for my third fill tomorrow.

Yes, I am bad. I just waited soooo long for restriction that I didn't want to leave there without it! ;) A little whining will go a long way some times.

Shesha - glad your port is right side up or whatever, and I think you are remarkably commited - asking Dr. K to fill in your surgical wound. You are my hero! :wow2:

Michelle

Ok everyone.. Drum Roll Please!!!! :clap2: It is official.. I am scheduled for my LB surgery with Dr K on October 16th... Yea!!!! :)

I called and talked to Marilyn and she was so kind and understanding and worked with me on the scheduling.. I'm so thankful to you Mark for recommending him to me in another thread I started. I was originally thinking of going to Mexico and Mark replied with a link to Dr K's web site as another option to check into... ty, ty, ty vm...

Thank you Woofay and Mal for the warm welcome to the Dr K. groupie. I am happy to join the band wagon. ;) Hello to everyone else and it is a pleasure to meet you all. Thanks Marcy for your encouragement in our emails.

Woofay, Mal and Dynamo.. Do you live in the Denver area? If so, I am from Colorado and will be staying in Denver through Thanksgiving and would like to meet you in person.

Again nice to meet you all.

nicnaknut - YEAH! There's a couple of folks who just got banded by Dr. K on the July Lucky #7 Bandsters thread. They both said that they have been recovering well and had very little pain! So maybe what is happening to me ISN'T a miracle afterall?! No, really, I believe this all happened for a reason....ALL the stars aligned for me to be able to do this!

Dynamo - You seem as if you go a mile a minute....I hope you're taking time to relax and enjoy your new body and life!

It seems like forever since my first post and calling to get my appointment. However, today was the day and I have my surgery scheduled for August 15. Scared but excited. I really appreciate all your feedback on Dr. K. It was great. Having read the back post, and seeing the pictures made my office visit much more comfortable. I am having a little trouble calming down enough to go to sleep, but it is after midnight and I am going to start my pre op diet tomorrow, as I think it might take some time to get with the program.

The glitter after my ticker is something the August bandster have decided on. We are the Crazy Ates, since August is the 8th month. Someone was way too clever.

Marilyn:whoo:

Please accept my apologies if you felt the Earth suddenly tilting toward the East Coast on Tuesday morning. That was just ME jumping up and down because I HAVE A SURGERY DATE :clap2::clap2::clap2:! August 22!!!!:rockon: So that's Marilyn 8/15, me 8/22 and Nicaknut 10/16. Elinrw -- when are you scheduled ?-- I think I've missed your post. BTW -- Welcome all my fellow pre-bandsters!

SKYEBLU!!-- Hello, my fellow tar heel! So nice to hear from someone from home! I've arranged to use Dr. Fernandez at WFUBMC in Winston-Salem for emergency/after care and hope to go back to CO for fills, at least in the beginning. We'll see how it goes.

You guys were so right. Marilyn is so nice and helpful. I feel like I know the office staff already from all the information and the pictures here. Thanks!

Shesha -- I'm glad your procedure went well and is all behind you. It is great to know that Dr. K fixed that for you without charge. A stand up kinda guy!

Marcy -- it's so encouraging to read about how good you're doing!

Everybody here, I just love ya'll. So there, I said it.

It's nearly 3AM and I've got to work in the morning, so I better stop jumping around and try to sleep.:notagree I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas!

More later,

ShelbiCallie

Here's my surgery plan. Please tell me if you think it will work out. Keep in mind a few things --

• I work from home and my job involves sitting in front of the computer on the phone ( 8 hour shift).
  • I've had 2 c-sections, but no lap surgery. I have a high pain tolerance.
  • I only have 3 PTO days left.

So the week of surgery I plan to --

• Monday -- work
  • Tuesday -- fly from NC to CO and have my pre-op appt at 4PM
  • Wednesday -- surgery at 11AM
  • Thursday -- have morning post-op appt and fly back to NC
  • Friday -- work

My support person for my trip is another nurse. My kids are 10 and 16 and are here to help at home. I think I'll be ok doing this schedule. What do you guys think??;)

ShelbieCallie

Shesha - I'm curious...did you have to pay for all that? I remember someone sayting that he "guaranteed" his procedure for a year, but not really sure on that.

Drew - what about you? did he charge you for the complications?

Nope. He didn't charge me for the replacement.

Shelbi - It is doable because you are at home and can take meds if you need them. The air travel is pushing it, but many people do it without problems. I didn't have the gas pains, but was nauseous from anethesia, even with the suppositories I would have need to wait for 12 hours before flying. Now, Marcy did great and hopped right on a plane. Others have done this too. So it depends on how you react, hard to predict. I always have that reaction to the anesthesia, hardly anything they do helps.

mare - I couldn't sleep before surgery too. You'll catch up. Think about building your body for surgery with lots of Protein. It helps the recovery time and assists Dr. K with the liver.

Enough advice to you all. I went out for Mexican food at lunch and LEFT half of it on the plate. I didn't want to PB, so when I got the gurgling feeling - I stopped. I was fine. I think I have been shoveling food into my mouth like it was my last supper for most of my years. I love this band. it is helping me to finally get the eating right.

hugs,

Michelle

Thanks for the reply, Michelle. And congratulations on hitting your sweet spot!!!!! I don't think I've ever left a half plate of anything in life, especially not Mexican food.:hungry: I can't wait to be there with you. And I hope I can get there within 3 fills the way you have. That's great!!

I've had general anesthesia twice, never had a reaction or nausea. So I'm crossing my fingers that my history will carry through with this surgery.

Good night all. I've got to get some sleep tonight!

Shelbi