Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would You Have Weight Loss Surgery Again?

Would You Have Weight Loss Surgery Again?  

421 members have voted

1. 1. Knowing what you know now about weight loss surgery, would you do it again if you had the chance to make your decision again?

• Yes, without a doubt! The surgery has been everything I’d hoped for.
    • Yes, probably. The journey hasn’t been easy, but I’m losing weight and feel that this was my best option.
    • Yes, but I would have chosen a different type of weight loss surgery.
    • No. I’ve had complications and my health has suffered and/or I haven’t been hitting my weight loss goals.
    • I haven’t had the surgery yet, but I’m looking at the results of this poll carefully to help me make my decision!
    • Other...read my response below!

I would do mine all over again if I had too. I am now 9 weeks post op and down 45 pounds. My start weight was 331 lbs so I am very happy. I have heard a lot about stalls on this journey and I think I have just come to my 1st stall. I have weight the same for the past week and I am hearing this can last for 3 weeks. I am not too worried since I am doing everything that I have been told to do but since I still have so much weight to lose this can be a little discouraging. I have people in my life that keep asking me how much you lose this week and frankly I am getting so tired of being asked. It mentally hard on me being asked all the time. I am not sure why people have a need to do this. Maybe they are sincere but sometimes I think they would love for me to fail. It is a litte depressing.

Yep, I understand you there I was upset that I came out of the hospital (mind you no food for Surgery day +2 days after), then only clear liquids...but I came out 3 lbs heavier. This was due to the super hydration I assume came from the IV fluids. This came off quickly. I have even had a day where I gained a pound, only to have it come off again a bit faster. I am now 7 weeks out. I hated that folks would ask how much, so now I just announce when it's gone down. I take the wind out of their sails and say, down a total now of XX lbs. All they can say is great. As for failure. I have a friend who says I am too old to be 115 lbs. My doctor says that's because they secretly don't want me to get there. She had the surgery in Mexico as she didn't have the insurance, and there was no pre-ops, she was on a plane 2 days after surgery, and no post op care. She has had no forums for support, and she is happy that she is down 50 pounds after surgery in 6 months, and has gone way off the diet, and back to carbs, and carbonated drinks, McDonalds, etc. She can sink about half what she used to eat, so either she didn't get 85% taken out, or she's stretched her stomach back to the max. I don't think I'll stretch mine anytime soon, as it's just painful to eat one bite too much. Just hang in there, and you'll be great. After I get down to where I want to be, I plan to look for a job somewhere no one has known me fat!

Michkey thank you for your point of view; it is so nice to hear from someone who understands where I am coming from. As you already know this is hard enough without co-workers, friends and family always asking questions. We just need to be left alone and be around folks who are very supportive, that is way I love this website. I am happy to hear you are doing so well. Your friend is not going to be successful unless she gets the support that she needs. I have been told that people who have this surgery and join a support group on line or a local support group in your area will lose the weight and keep it off. Support is very important in recover and becoming the new person we want to be. I hope your friend gets a hold of herself and really deals with her eating issues. Maybe she should contact her local hospital to see if there is a local bariatric support group. Like someone somewhere said to me this surgery can fix your stomach but it does not fix your head and what caused our overeating problems. I am like you, I am waiting another 8 weeks so I get more weight off of me and then I am going to look for a job where no one knows about my surgery and make a fresh start. I want co workers to see the new me not the old me. I am just a little discouraged right now since I am at my 1st stall but not enough to go out and eat a donut/donuts. I have come too far and I think you feel the same way. Keep in touch, Cheryl

Some of us came out 20 lb heavier from IV fluids. Why get ruffled feathers over this?

Some of us came out 20 lb heavier from IV fluids. Why get ruffled feathers over this?

Fiddle just curious r u at your goal weight? My sw was 203, I h e bounced btwn 163-165 for the last four weeks ( lost 4 inches tho). I'm 5'7 and obviously need to change something. I'm going into my six months and just curious if you experiences anything like this and what you did? I'm trying to get to 147...

Hi Toy - Did you' date=' by chance, enter your first stall? That happens around 3-5 weeks out from surgery and can last 1 week, 3 weeks or longer. It is just your body adjusting after the initial depletion of glycogen from your muscles. It will break once your body breaks the cycle of converting fat into glycogen for the muscles. The glycogen requires a lot of supporting Water. I think I read 2 lbs of Water are required per lb of lean muscle to support processing of glycogen. Somebody correct me if my facts are wrong. This water retention gives the appearance of "stalling" while, in fact, your muscles are eating glycogen and building (read: gaining lean muscle). Once the glycogen is depleted again so goes the water and your stall breaks. And the cycle repeats and repeats and repeats. That is why weight loss looks a little like a staircase. Lose some, stall, lose some, stall, lose some, stall, lose some....

Also, how tall are you and what is your goal weight?[/quote']

Maybe I did hit a stall not sure I'm 5foot 4inches starting weight 215 now 200 goal weight 155

I was low bmi too. When was your surgery date?

April 3rd

I didn't have ruffled feathers over being heavier, just figured it out, and went with it. It was gone within a couple of days. Better to be a tad bloated than dehydrated. Had that happen once long ago, and it was awful. Would have hated it having that again.

Caspinelli712 you are just tired of everyone being your scorekeeper, I am my own scorekeeper, and I just totally understand where you are coming from. Outsiders have no idea what we go through. Not just the weight struggle, but hey, how bad do you want to get the weight off and feel good again that you cut out 85% of your stomach! A lot of people I know just don't get it. They just don't see how we could "have such a problem losing the weight." Don't worry about the stalling. It will pass--if you don't eat the donuts. You probably will still see some inches come off as your body is adjusting. As for my friend, I offered to loan her my binder the doctor gave me for instruction, and I have given her this website, but she won't come here. I also offered to have her come to my support meetings as "my support" person, so she can learn, but she won't come. It's her ballgame. She said she has friends who say she doesn't need to lose any more weight. If someone tells me that when I get to 185, they aren't my friend...My real friends just say they can tell I am looking better and better. There is a BABE still in here, and she's on her way out!!!

short message to those that feel the surgery was wrong, not for them or feel they should have done it on their own. some folks will vilify your decision. best to keep your thoughts to yourself and move on. this thread is more of a very pro surgery forum and most critical thoughts are not very welcome. MHO

short message to those that feel the surgery was wrong' date=' not for them or feel they should have done it on their own. some folks will vilify your decision. best to keep your thoughts to yourself and move on. this thread is more of a very pro surgery forum and most critical thoughts are not very welcome. MHO[/quote']

I think every1 should express there true feelings nomatter what any1 say

short message to those that feel the surgery was wrong, not for them or feel they should have done it on their own. some folks will vilify your decision. best to keep your thoughts to yourself and move on. this thread is more of a very pro surgery forum and most critical thoughts are not very welcome. MHO

I think it is good that your posts are seen. I think the medical profession should do a better job of weeding out unsuitable people for this op for their sakes. I just want to say though that for a motivated person who understands what they are doing WLS is a good option if all other avenues are exhausted.

I am now 4 years out and from a BMI of 41.5 I achieved a normal BMI (sub 25) within 10 months and have maintained the normal range ever since.

I would definately do it all over again. I have lost 55 lbs and I am a new person. I have 25 more to go. It has resolved all my medical issues and the increase in energy is unreal.

I think it is good that your posts are seen. I think the medical profession should do a better job of weeding out unsuitable people for this op for their sakes. I just want to say though that for a motivated person who understands what they are doing WLS is a good option if all other avenues are exhausted.

I am now 4 years out and from a BMI of 41.5 I achieved a normal BMI (sub 25) within 10 months and have maintained the normal range ever since.

That's great how are things. 4 years out haven't found any1 that far out is it difficult do u still have 2 drink shakes?

Well, considering that I'm 2 days post-op from band to sleeve revision...yeah, I'd have WLS all over again. I was happy with the band for almost 7 yrs and expect to be happy with the sleeve. I've BEEN living my life eating smaller amounts, having to monitor what goes in the mouth, etc..but as the band stopped "helping," the weight was creeping up. Plus, I'd had a lot of scar tissue form and reflux, so it was time for the band to go.

But you know...even WITH my prior experience with WLS...having to do a month of liquids, etc...it's not easy. I don't truly want to eat anything and KNOW that the weightloss is important, but there's still a bit of grieving. Accepting that I still needed help, that I simply can't eat whatever I want and still maintain the weight I want, etc...WLS will never be an easy "out" for anyone or any easy road. It just makes it doable.

Fiddle just curious r u at your goal weight? My sw was 203' date=' I h e bounced btwn 163-165 for the last four weeks ( lost 4 inches tho). I'm 5'7 and obviously need to change something. I'm going into my six months and just curious if you experiences anything like this and what you did? I'm trying to get to 147...[/quote']

Sorry, I have not responded to this post yet as it went off my radar. I am at goal weight and have been since February. Every month up to February, I would do the usual stall 1/2 the month, lose 1/2 the month. Losses tended to be good so the weight loss / stall pattern worked out in the end. Month 6 (january for me) is pretty common time for weight loss to slow a lot.

I would say really kick your exercise program into high gear. Better, check out my transformation challenge thread. I am sure that would help you achieve your goals sanely. At around month 5, I started running a lot. By the time I made it to goal during month 7, I was running 10 k and 5 k every week with a HIIT running day. This intense amount of running helped me lose the last 50-55 lbs down to 175 (started at 360).

now I am turning my focus more to strength rather then endurance cardio. I am not looking for body builder strength, but rather boxer strength. That is where this transformation program of 12 weeks is going to help me by focusing on high intensity short duration training sessions and cross fit HIIT sessions. Feel free to join in on the fun with others and we shall see what we can do in 12 weeks.