Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would You Have Weight Loss Surgery Again?

Would You Have Weight Loss Surgery Again?  

421 members have voted

1. 1. Knowing what you know now about weight loss surgery, would you do it again if you had the chance to make your decision again?

• Yes, without a doubt! The surgery has been everything I’d hoped for.
    • Yes, probably. The journey hasn’t been easy, but I’m losing weight and feel that this was my best option.
    • Yes, but I would have chosen a different type of weight loss surgery.
    • No. I’ve had complications and my health has suffered and/or I haven’t been hitting my weight loss goals.
    • I haven’t had the surgery yet, but I’m looking at the results of this poll carefully to help me make my decision!
    • Other...read my response below!

Wow' date=' is that ever the truth!! In some ways, the surgery does make it easier to succeed - I'm not quite as hungry, feel better eating less, etc. However, it is harder in some ways because you can't just change your mind anymore. We are forced to stick with it, we can't take a break, for the most part. We have invested a lot of blood, sweat and tears into having a major surgery and the subsequent recovery, and made a committment to ourselves, so it has a sense of "last chance" associated with it for many of us. Considering all that, there is pressure to not fail. For someone like me who has a lot to lose and does not lose it super fast, I have to be motivated because it's a long journey. And because I don't want to fail, I am practicing self restraint - the surgery did not give me that or motivation. It's a great tool, but success comes from within.[/quote']

I wish I could like this twice!!

I am happy for all the folks that have had successful results from the surgery. As stated before I would not opt to have this surgery again if I could turn back the hands of time. I cannot do this however. So, I shall live with the loss of hair ( have been told this is normal and will come back....we shall see), lack of energy and endurance ( I get fatigued more easily now), have lost sexual desire (was told this would get better...has gotten worse), food is of no interest even though I feel hungry, when I eat I throw up, I used to enjoy cooking but making such small amounts seem worthless and by and large all the good things that were supposed to happen are greatly diminished. The surgery went well with no infections so that is not a worry and recovery went well. Perhaps I expected too much.

I am happy for all the folks that have had successful results from the surgery. As stated before I would not opt to have this surgery again if I could turn back the hands of time. I cannot do this however. So, I shall live with the loss of hair ( have been told this is normal and will come back....we shall see), lack of energy and endurance ( I get fatigued more easily now), have lost sexual desire (was told this would get better...has gotten worse), food is of no interest even though I feel hungry, when I eat I throw up, I used to enjoy cooking but making such small amounts seem worthless and by and large all the good things that were supposed to happen are greatly diminished. The surgery went well with no infections so that is not a worry and recovery went well. Perhaps I expected too much.

Ok, I'm NOT trying to be mean...I'm just curious, what Exactly DID you expect?? You had 85% of your stomach removed...did you Really think you'd be able to eat they way you did before?? Have you had your blood levels checked? The fatigue should be better. I don't know about you...but my sex drive has def Increased...NOT declined. There's actually a thread here somewhere where we were just talking about that! & I Love to cook even more now...I'm learning new, healthier ways of making new yummy dishes. It's just my hubby & myself, & he is dieting too....so I usually cook on the weekends & we eat the leftovers thru the week & for lunches! Easy, yummy, fast & healthy. I can eat anything I want..just smaller portions. Are you sure your not throwing up because your trying to eat too much? I haven't thrown up since immediately after surgery...but I have gotten nauseous after eating too much. So...please clarify...what DID you expect??

I understand when people here call a BMI of 35 a "low BMI" because it's relative in the world of those who get WLS. However, I want to point out that 35 BMI is NOT "low" from a medical standpoint. It qualifies as morbidly obese! All you have to do is go to Pubmed and look up evidence-based articles about the risks of being morbidly obese to see that WLS could make sense for many people in this category, especially if they have tried and failed repeatedly on their own to lose weight and/or keep it off. Add to that any comorbidities such as diabetes, HBP, etc., and there's even more reason that WLS could be a life-saving (mortality but also morbidity/quality of life) option for people who are in that BMI range.

Ok, I'm NOT trying to be mean...I'm just curious, what Exactly DID you expect?? You had 85% of your stomach removed...did you Really think you'd be able to eat they way you did before?? Have you had your blood levels checked? The fatigue should be better. I don't know about you...but my sex drive has def Increased...NOT declined. There's actually a thread here somewhere where we were just talking about that! & I Love to cook even more now...I'm learning new, healthier ways of making new yummy dishes. It's just my hubby & myself, & he is dieting too....so I usually cook on the weekends & we eat the leftovers thru the week & for lunches! Easy, yummy, fast & healthy. I can eat anything I want..just smaller portions. Are you sure your not throwing up because your trying to eat too much? I haven't thrown up since immediately after surgery...but I have gotten nauseous after eating too much. So...please clarify...what DID you expect??

Normal, normal and normal....those are the test results....am I still losing weight?...you bet I am as I can't keep much down and not for long.......I take bites the size of a thumb nail, can barely choke down 3oz of grilled hamburger meat in 20 minutes.....sight of cooking food, which I used to enjoy, is not there.....BTW, I know better than to over eat or snack between meals...expectations of more energy and better sex drive did not happen.......I am losing weight ( the only expectation to happen ), still on blood pressure meds......guess I should be happy with ONLY the weight loss.......so to answer you I guess that is ALL I should expect....sorry if I am not a cheerleader for gastric sleeve surgery....glad it worked for others but, did not 100% work for me....CAVEAT EMPTOR should be observed.

Normal, normal and normal....those are the test results....am I still losing weight?...you bet I am as I can't keep much down and not for long.......I take bites the size of a thumb nail, can barely choke down 3oz of grilled hamburger meat in 20 minutes.....sight of cooking food, which I used to enjoy, is not there.....BTW, I know better than to over eat or snack between meals...expectations of more energy and better sex drive did not happen.......I am losing weight ( the only expectation to happen ), still on blood pressure meds......guess I should be happy with ONLY the weight loss.......so to answer you I guess that is ALL I should expect....sorry if I am not a cheerleader for gastric sleeve surgery....glad it worked for others but, did not 100% work for me....CAVEAT EMPTOR should be observed.

Ok, so you blood work is ok....have they done an EGD to see if you have a stricture?? Seriously, you should be able to eat without being miserable! I would insist they do more testing! Of course your tired & have a low libido if you can't get in enough nutrients! Not everyone needs to be a cheerleader for WLS...but you DESERVE answers & a normal life! If you can't get them from your dr....go to another!! There's no reason to suffer like you are! PLEASE, don't give up looking for the answer!!

did not 100% work for me....CAVEAT EMPTOR should be observed.

CAVEAT EMPTOR indeed......

This comes with lots of changes. And what you do with them is entirely up to YOU!

You say this did not 100% work for you?

Where you mislead somewhere along the way?

Where you promised a wonderful new life and sex drive?

Did they not tell you that you will lose some hair?

(Saw that on another post you made)

Where you told that you would only be able to "choke down" 3oz of hamburger meat in 20 minutes?

What did this doctor sell you??

Life is what you make of it, please try and seek support and guidance with an open heart and mind.

I'm sorry I know I sound harsh..

I am so thrown off by how many people feel the same way you do, and I truly want to understand how you ended up here. It's scary to think that so many people are ending up with such feelings of regret and I hope some how this information gets out to the people and the doctors performing surgery on them..

My surgery is far from perfect. There have been, and still are many challenges. I signed on knowing that. I take them as they come.

I am happy for all the folks that have had successful results from the surgery. As stated before I would not opt to have this surgery again if I could turn back the hands of time. I cannot do this however. So' date=' I shall live with the loss of hair ( have been told this is normal and will come back....we shall see), lack of energy and endurance ( I get fatigued more easily now), have lost sexual desire (was told this would get better...has gotten worse), food is of no interest even though I feel hungry, when I eat I throw up, I used to enjoy cooking but making such small amounts seem worthless and by and large all the good things that were supposed to happen are greatly diminished. The surgery went well with no infections so that is not a worry and recovery went well. Perhaps I expected too much.[/quote']

I'm sorry you sound so unhappy. I'm certainly not a psychiatrist or anything, but you sound depressed. There's lots of hormone changes with WLS. And I certainly agree that I'd go see a second opinion. You should be able to eat more without vomiting!

Normal' date=' normal and normal....those are the test results....am I still losing weight?...you bet I am as I can't keep much down and not for long.......I take bites the size of a thumb nail, can barely choke down 3oz of grilled hamburger meat in 20 minutes.....sight of cooking food, which I used to enjoy, is not there.....BTW, I know better than to over eat or snack between meals...expectations of more energy and better sex drive did not happen.......I am losing weight ( the only expectation to happen ), still on blood pressure meds......guess I should be happy with ONLY the weight loss.......so to answer you I guess that is ALL I should expect....sorry if I am not a cheerleader for gastric sleeve surgery....glad it worked for others but, did not 100% work for me....CAVEAT EMPTOR should be observed.[/quote']

If you could eat without vomiting and have more energy would that change your mind just curious

I appreciate the encouraging suggestions and truly helpful suggestions. However, this forum thread is a "would you do it again" and say why. I have found that if you do not embrace the WLS line one must be on the defensive from those that tend to belittle the poster. As I have posted, I knew what to expect and knew the risks. I thought an OPINION thread was to have BOTH sides represented. Guess I must have stepped on some toes with my posts.......although they weren't fat toes. :lol:

I appreciate the encouraging suggestions and truly helpful suggestions. However' date=' this forum thread is a "would you do it again" and say why. I have found that if you do not embrace the WLS line one must be on the defensive from those that tend to belittle the poster. As I have posted, I knew what to expect and knew the risks. I thought an OPINION thread was to have BOTH sides represented. Guess I must have stepped on some toes with my posts.......although they weren't fat toes. :lol:[/quote']

I was just curious would u do it again if u could keep food down & have energy cause sometimes I feel the same way u do

in my first post I stated I had lost 30 lbs presurgery. As this was my first SERIOUS attempt to lose weight and I think I would have been better served trying to go it on my own, close my eyes on the money I had already spent, not given in to the pressure from surgery staff and my spouse and just eat less and exercise more. I was already well on the right path. Would I do it again if I could keep the food down and had the energy? Well, prior to surgery I had the energy and could keep food down and as stated I was losing weight. So I do not feel like I needed the surgery. What is done is done. Perhaps I should not post on this forum any longer since I do not buy into the WLS dogma.

in my first post I stated I had lost 30 lbs presurgery. As this was my first SERIOUS attempt to lose weight and I think I would have been better served trying to go it on my own' date=' close my eyes on the money I had already spent, not given in to the pressure from surgery staff and my spouse and just eat less and exercise more. I was already well on the right path. Would I do it again if I could keep the food down and had the energy? Well, prior to surgery I had the energy and could keep food down and as stated I was losing weight. So I do not feel like I needed the surgery. What is done is done. Perhaps I should not post on this forum any longer since I do not buy into the WLS dogma.[/quote']

Haha!! ok I think I get it now!!

You just plain and simple did not think and made a bad choice!

Wow that sucks...

Not saying that to be mean..

It really does suck.

in my first post I stated I had lost 30 lbs presurgery. As this was my first SERIOUS attempt to lose weight and I think I would have been better served trying to go it on my own' date=' close my eyes on the money I had already spent, not given in to the pressure from surgery staff and my spouse and just eat less and exercise more. I was already well on the right path. Would I do it again if I could keep the food down and had the energy? Well, prior to surgery I had the energy and could keep food down and as stated I was losing weight. So I do not feel like I needed the surgery. What is done is done. Perhaps I should not post on this forum any longer since I do not buy into the WLS dogma.[/quote']

This is where every 1 vent so me personally I think u should so every 1 will know its not a piece of cake like some people try to make it out 2 be I had my surgery on april3rd & I sometime feel like I should have done it on my own sometimes I cry & cry about it but whats done is done no I'm not vomiting or having trouble keeping food down but the reality of what I done 2 my body & God didn't make me like that so I should've left well enough alone I was only 215 pounds but want 2 look nice in cloths & not feel like the fat girl my fear of loosing my hair keeps me up @ night I just pray that I don't & pray that I continue being healthy hope everything gets better 4 you this is a lifelong change & journey all we can do is take it 1 day @ a time