Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would You Have Weight Loss Surgery Again?

Would You Have Weight Loss Surgery Again?  

421 members have voted

1. 1. Knowing what you know now about weight loss surgery, would you do it again if you had the chance to make your decision again?

• Yes, without a doubt! The surgery has been everything I’d hoped for.
    • Yes, probably. The journey hasn’t been easy, but I’m losing weight and feel that this was my best option.
    • Yes, but I would have chosen a different type of weight loss surgery.
    • No. I’ve had complications and my health has suffered and/or I haven’t been hitting my weight loss goals.
    • I haven’t had the surgery yet, but I’m looking at the results of this poll carefully to help me make my decision!
    • Other...read my response below!

I waited 3 years to make up my mind if this surgery was for me; I did not go into it looking for a quick fix to my overweight life. I spoke with many people at support groups including the nurses who run these support groups and had WLS themselves so I knew this was not a quick fix like so many uninformed ignorant people I know who seem to have all the answers without the facts. This surgery takes a lot of bravery on our part for just having it done and hoping a praying that all turns out well in the end. I am 6 weeks post op and I still have my ups and downs and wonder if I did the right thing. I know in my heart of hearts like so many of you we do question ourselves after having this surgery but I can tell you I am at a point in life that if I want to have some kind of life and failed attempts at weight loss on my own that I needed to do something about myself. I have sleep apnea, borderline diabeitc, sore painful knees and ankles, shortness of breathe everytime I moved or even taking shower in the morning and feeling of isolation and depression. At 6 weeks post op I am still having trouble eating certain foods, sometimes I feel like I have no energy at all even with 67 grams of Protein a day but I can tell you that I am just starting to walk better so much so that I get on a treadmill 3 times a week. I can take a shower in the morning and I am not worn out and I can walk outside very slowly but this time I am not out of breathe like before. My blood pressure is getting better and I am no longer prediabetic. It is going to take me a full year to get my mojo back but I am welling to overlook and deal with some issues along the way to get to a healthier life style and weight. I would do this all over again!!!! A support group is really important to belong too and it is also really important to work closely with a nutritionist who works with WLS people. If you are really having some serious issues stay close to your doctor and work to get resolved. We can do this!!! Most of us have had the surgery and there is no looking back and beating yourself up just look to make it thru today and look to the future to better days and ask questions from those who have the right anwers or who can tell you who to talk with. Don't give up!!!!

I honestly do not think Laura was trying intentionally or unintentionally to be mean. She has a kind heart and has helped many with their post op struggles.

Now let me see if I can offer some advise...

I know where you are coming from losing the 30 lb pre op. I too lost 30 lb pre surgery to drop from 360 to 330 and felt great having done this without surgery. However' date=' not once did I consider I could do it on my own because of past failures.

You feel that with enough will power and determination you could complete the job with diet and exercise. You may be right , but a vast majority of people, including myself, lose and gain the same 30, 50, 100 lbs over their adult lifetime because their resolve wanes either during weight loss or during maintenance. And then they gain and repeat the cycle. Only the next time your starting weight will be higher. I got really depressed because of this insanity of not being able to reach my ideal weight. I have done this 4-5 times in my adult life.

I appreciate the VSG in that it "breaks" me at surgery so I am forced to discover and build good eating habits over the first 6 habits. I am forced to go through the different eating phases and distance myself from the bad eating habits of the past. This change in behavior takes time to stick. It cannot be done overnight or even in a week.

Even if my health-based resolve were to wane in the future, I still have these habits as my foundation and the sleeve as insurance in case I do eat too much. The sleeve will not allow that. I am looking forward to all the positives of enjoying life again...

Keep calm and carry on. You made a good choice. The regrets you are dealing with now will get smaller and smaller as your successes get larger and larger.[/quote']

Thanks 4 this post even tho it wasn't 4 me but it helped me not 2 feel the way I do about my decision some days I'm happy with it and some days I'm crying about it

Thanks 4 this post even tho it wasn't 4 me but it helped me not 2 feel the way I do about my decision some days I'm happy with it and some days I'm crying about it

I am happy to help.

Have a good day!

My only regret is I didn't have this 10 years ago (I don't think it was available 10 years ago!) I love my new life! Is it hard? Yes, but anything worth having in life is hard-trust me!

My only regret is I didn't have this 10 years ago (I don't think it was available 10 years ago!) I love my new life! Is it hard? Yes' date=' but anything worth having in life is hard-trust me![/quote']

When did u have your surgery

I posted here a while back, saying how happy and thrilled I am with my sleeve. After reading page after page of dialogue regarding regrets, depression, marital issues, complications, etc., I realized one thing about myself. This journey is a roller coaster ride. I have had quite a few "bad" days...days I do not come on to VST or seek help, advise, or anything. As a food "addict"-I can say that the weight loss part of this journey is the easy part. Its the addiction to food, the stuffing, the hiding...for whatever reason, that is the hardest part of this journey for those of us who have not experienced any discernible complication (leaks, etc.). If I were to respond on one of the days where I wanted to stuff -- and couldn't -- my response would be so different! Just like in life and in relationships - there are good and bad days. If people who are looking into having WLS don't address the addiction, they are bound to be miserable! Food and worrying about what I was going to eat next took up too much time in my life - now there are gaping holes in my days. Gaps that are allowing me to be outside more, spend more time doing things with my family, spend more time with God.

I posted here a while back' date=' saying how happy and thrilled I am with my sleeve. After reading page after page of dialogue regarding regrets, depression, marital issues, complications, etc., I realized one thing about myself. This journey is a roller coaster ride. I have had quite a few "bad" days...days I do not come on to VST or seek help, advise, or anything. As a food "addict"-I can say that the weight loss part of this journey is the easy part. Its the addiction to food, the stuffing, the hiding...for whatever reason, that is the hardest part of this journey for those of us who have not experienced any discernible complication (leaks, etc.). If I were to respond on one of the days where I wanted to stuff -- and couldn't -- my response would be so different! Just like in life and in relationships - there are good and bad days. If people who are looking into having WLS don't address the addiction, they are bound to be miserable! Food and worrying about what I was going to eat next took up too much time in my life - now there are gaping holes in my days. Gaps that are allowing me to be outside more, spend more time doing things with my family, spend more time with God.[/quote']

I am still very early in my journey sleeved on the 3rd & sometimes I have my good days & my bad I can't shake that feelin of not having any energy I hope that this is the right decision I made 4 myself especially since its non reversible

as I have also questioned my decision, the best we can do is work the program. As I spent 6 years working in a drug and alcohol treatment center, treating eating disorders is like any other addiction. Day at a time, go to meetings, surround yourself with like minded people.

as I have also questioned my decision' date=' the best we can do is work the program. As I spent 6 years working in a drug and alcohol treatment center, treating eating disorders is like any other addiction. Day at a time, go to meetings, surround yourself with like minded people.[/quote']

So true that's what I was talking 2 my hubby about I told him if I could do drugs 4 3years 2 loose weight then I can get this surgery & do it a healthy way that's y I went and had the Surgery

When was u sleeved

I was sleeved on 10/11/12. I agree with the above poster as well...we took diet pills, ate crazy foods (cabbage Soup, lemon/hot sauce, etc....) so we are willing to suffer for "beauty" as it were - but only for a temporary time. Diligence and stick-to-it-ness is a great feeling (after having surgery, we really don't have a choice but to make the best of it) - I am embracing my strength to get through the tough days (I want to eat a cow -- or a bag of Cheetos, whatever). I look at it as a way for me to get back the self-respect I lost through self-destructive behaviors, food and others....

I was sleeved on 10/11/12. I agree with the above poster as well...we took diet pills' date=' ate crazy foods (cabbage Soup, lemon/hot sauce, etc....) so we are willing to suffer for "beauty" as it were - but only for a temporary time. Diligence and stick-to-it-ness is a great feeling (after having surgery, we really don't have a choice but to make the best of it) - I am embracing my strength to get through the tough days (I want to eat a cow -- or a bag of Cheetos, whatever). I look at it as a way for me to get back the self-respect I lost through self-destructive behaviors, food and others....[/quote']

All I can say is amen 2 that so true

I am four weeks out, and right now I regret my decision. I had the surgery for a better quality and healthy life but I feel that I will never feel "right" again. I feel like everything gets stuck in my chest (like a pill that went down the wrong way). I hope it gets better and hope I will be happy with my decision in a month from now.

I was skeptical for about the first month post-op because if how I felt (headaches,so thirsty,tired, sore) but now that I'm starting my third month I am very pleased. I would do it again because the initial symptoms I mentioned are about gone and I've lost 47lbs in 9weeks! Yaaaay!