Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would You Have Weight Loss Surgery Again?

Would You Have Weight Loss Surgery Again?  

421 members have voted

1. 1. Knowing what you know now about weight loss surgery, would you do it again if you had the chance to make your decision again?

• Yes, without a doubt! The surgery has been everything I’d hoped for.
    • Yes, probably. The journey hasn’t been easy, but I’m losing weight and feel that this was my best option.
    • Yes, but I would have chosen a different type of weight loss surgery.
    • No. I’ve had complications and my health has suffered and/or I haven’t been hitting my weight loss goals.
    • I haven’t had the surgery yet, but I’m looking at the results of this poll carefully to help me make my decision!
    • Other...read my response below!

I'm 3 months out and have lost 100lbs from my highest, 70lbs since surgery. I am not sold that this will be long term as I am exceedingly frustrated by not being able to eat enough to feel satisfied, the food tastes different and my feeling of deprivation are as bad as with any diet. I am hopeful that this is just the nature of where I am in the process and that it will get better. Right now, though, I would not do this again if this is the way its going to be.

Without hesitation, I'd do it again in New York minute!

As most all on this forum have done the up and down of weight loss only to gain it back those that have had the surgery (majority) would do it again. I am one of those that would not. Yes, I was 244 and am now 187. My goal is 145 to 150. I am about 5 months out. Point is, I never tried the DIETING like most have and probably should have done that to see if I could have done it on my own. Guess I just went to the head of the line so to say. Anyway, today I eat about anything I want but just MUCH smaller portions. Like everyone else, eat too much..get sick, throw-up or have the runs. Still have lots of things I can't keep down. Emotional eating has gone away (good thing) and am happy with only 1 meal a day (this is wrong so I am told). I did win a bicycle in a local Dr. Pepper drawing a few weeks ago so I have no excuse NOT to exercise. :rolleyes:

I'm 8 weeks out now and feel differently than when I first responded to this thread. 8 weeks ago I was still reeling from the shock that my spleen bled during surgery and I could have bled to death on the table. I've lost 31lbs since then and I have never felt better. It has been most definitely worth it for me. I need to feel that restriction otherwise I know I will over indulge. I could never have gotten this far on my own!

I'm 8 weeks out now and feel differently than when I first responded to this thread. 8 weeks ago I was still reeling from the shock that my spleen bled during surgery and I could have bled to death on the table. I've lost 31lbs since then and I have never felt better. It has been most definitely worth it for me. I need to feel that restriction otherwise I know I will over indulge. I could never have gotten this far on my own!

I am glad that you are okay Taylokat! And that you recovered from that scary event.

I think this is probably the best thread for people considering the surgery. This is an elective procedure and it is scary. While it is important to know the possible negative consequences, I dont think anyone believes they will suffer from them, esp when the percentages of people that do are so low. After stalking these boards, I have decided that I am going to have the surgery, I know that a possible side effect is death, but I will be unhappy (if possible) if I die, I think people with regrets feel the same way. They knew the changes they would face, but dont like facing them, Im all about not liking to deal with the consequences of my actions, and being a defense attorney I know this is not at all uncommon, most people dont. Thanks to everybody that posted their opinions, good, bad, or indifferent, and even came back to modify opinions when they were a little farther out. This is a huge decision and I dont think anyone can have too much information.

I think this is probably the best thread for people considering the surgery. This is an elective procedure and it is scary. While it is important to know the possible negative consequences' date=' I dont think anyone believes they will suffer from them, esp when the percentages of people that do are so low. After stalking these boards, I have decided that I am going to have the surgery, I know that a possible side effect is death, but I will be unhappy (if possible) if I die, I think people with regrets feel the same way. They knew the changes they would face, but dont like facing them, Im all about not liking to deal with the consequences of my actions, and being a defense attorney I know this is not at all uncommon, most people dont. Thanks to everybody that posted their opinions, good, bad, or indifferent, and even came back to modify opinions when they were a little farther out. This is a huge decision and I dont think anyone can have too much information.[/quote']

Is a good decision. You will not regret is being the best decision I made in the last ten years.

I am now offically 3 months post surgery. I am down 56 pounds and my BMI is now 48.7 down from 58. So far I am happy with my results. Like I have said before this surgery is serious and not for the faint of heart. It took me 3 years to comes to terms as to whether or not to have this surgery. I have been down the road with so many of the diet programs out there and have never had the results I needed and getting fatter each time I dropped off. This surgery has saved my life. Yes, I still have some bad days but I have been learning to cope with the changes that I still need to make. There is no going back just moving forward. There are so many foods that I miss and I am hoping to get them back over the next 2 years but I am where I am these days. Sipping my Water, getting my Protein in and now enjoying a few steamed veggies and that is OK with me. I feel sometimes like a new born baby who has to take it slow and graduate to the toddler foods before I can start back to regular diet. LIke anything else slow and easy is my montra these days. I still have a long road ahead of me and I just take it one day at a time. If I had'nt had this surgery I am not sure where I would be today so I am happy. Yes, food does taste different to me, I do not crave sweets but that is OK since that is what caused my weight to go up over the years. I feel like I am really in control for the first time in my life. This surgery like any surgery is a risk but one that I needed to take. My blood presure has gone down, I am no longer a borderline diabetic, my knees still hurt but not like they used to. I am still on a cpap machine and I hope by the end of the year I can say goodbye to it. My depression is going away and I am more optimistic about my life. I wish all of you well on your journey. Keep the posts coming folks.

THERE IS NO DOUBT I WOD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN TODAY!!!!! This surgery is the BOMB and I'd skate back into the OR today if needed!!!! I had sx March 21 and am 50lbs down. 316 to 266. Still have a small issue with tiredness but birds getting better. Find a good surgeon, follow the rules, and get your ass fit and healthy!!!! I was a major food addict and now if I want a sweet something then I take a bite or two. The craving is gone and no harm done. I think a lot of people think that after a sleeve your life is like boot camp but I'm here to say it frees you from the constant thinking of food!!!! Like a weight is gone! I eat WHATEVER I want but just smaller amounts. That's it!!!! PSOE say its not a magic bullet bullet but I'm here to say its damn close!!!! Love it!!!!

I think this is probably the best thread for people considering the surgery. This is an elective procedure and it is scary. While it is important to know the possible negative consequences, I dont think anyone believes they will suffer from them, esp when the percentages of people that do are so low. After stalking these boards, I have decided that I am going to have the surgery, I know that a possible side effect is death, but I will be unhappy (if possible) if I die, I think people with regrets feel the same way. They knew the changes they would face, but dont like facing them, Im all about not liking to deal with the consequences of my actions, and being a defense attorney I know this is not at all uncommon, most people dont. Thanks to everybody that posted their opinions, good, bad, or indifferent, and even came back to modify opinions when they were a little farther out. This is a huge decision and I dont think anyone can have too much information.

I agree with you, I just had my sleeve done 6/13/13 I was very scared and nervous. I'm on the Protein liquids for 1 more week and it's been tough but it's not something that can't be done. It all depends on how YOU want to succeed in this journey. I had different thoughts about surgery before doing it. And I'm happy with my decision.If you have a good doctor you will be in good hands. Thankful my doctor was great I didn't have any complications.

Abso-freakin'-lutely !

My only regret is I didn't do it years ago. I'm 58 years old and now trying to fit in everything I've missed out on for years. My husband says I sometimes wear clothes a little to young for me (my daughter in laws disagree) I say I'm wearing what I want and nothing to revealing or vulgar. Yes, this was tough in the beginning,, the first month or two I wasn't sure if I made the right choice. But after a few months I knew the surgery (sleeve) was so right. I have always lived for food, , it ruled my life, I still feel I revolve around food to much. But the sleeve helps keep me in control. I'm 16 months out and 107 pounds down. I range from 130 to 134. I want to stay here and that is my struggle now. I'm trying to stay away from very much fat and sugar.. Protein first!!! Everyone says I will gain some weight back now.. I don't want that to happen. I've never been a size 5/6 before,, I love it!! I can play with my grand kids,, go to Water parks and keep up at Disney!! I need to do something with the skin hanging problem.. it is a problem!!! For the person that is unhappy and feeling left out.. time will change this.. I go out with people and have a drink and enjoy the food,, but I usually share with my husband or take most of mine home.. esp. if I had a drink... it makes me feel good that I can take some home instead of eating a whole plate of food and feel guilty later,, that is in the past.....

I finally had my surgery on 6/13/13 and it's the best thing I've done for myself. Every morning I wake up I feel so grateful that I had this done. I'm loosing weight and going through the various stages I'm in the pureed food for now and it all doesn't seem as bad as I've read in other post. I am so happy and I would do it in a heartbeat. Fear is your biggest enemy don't let it stop you from living the life your so deserve

Hi all nd gratz thus far!! I'm still in the jumpn thru hoop stage, but I've read so much on these forums nd researched my heart out, I'm so rdy to finish the preops that I can taste it! As spongebob wud say, " im rdy I'm rdy"! Yes, I'm rdy. Ik from what I've read it'll be a few ruff Patches but wo the wls, I'd still have ruff patches called, high bp, cholesterol, Vitamin def, bad joints, and vtach!! At least from what doc, research nd you all have said, the wls will help if not alleviate my issues, so just bc I've not had the surgery yet, I'd still b considering it nd hoop jumpn! Gl u all:))