Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would You Have Weight Loss Surgery Again?

Would You Have Weight Loss Surgery Again?  

421 members have voted

1. 1. Knowing what you know now about weight loss surgery, would you do it again if you had the chance to make your decision again?

• Yes, without a doubt! The surgery has been everything I’d hoped for.
    • Yes, probably. The journey hasn’t been easy, but I’m losing weight and feel that this was my best option.
    • Yes, but I would have chosen a different type of weight loss surgery.
    • No. I’ve had complications and my health has suffered and/or I haven’t been hitting my weight loss goals.
    • I haven’t had the surgery yet, but I’m looking at the results of this poll carefully to help me make my decision!
    • Other...read my response below!

Can I ask why? By looking at your profile I think it says you're less than a month out' date=' is that correct?[/quote']

That's probably why! I'm only 10 days out and don't think I can fairly answer that question right now! Haha

Yes. I am so happy with my surgery. I had no complications. I had no problems. I am 6 weeks out and I have lost 26.9 lbs. which I am pleased with. I am happy that I now eat smaller portions. I am happy that I am no longer hungry all the time. I am very pleased with myself, my surgeon, and my results so far. I am looking forward to the future at my future weight loss, excited about it.

I replied absolutely before, and now that I am down 82 lbs, absolutely again! I did have to go ahead and have my gall bladder out July 3rd, and that has resolved the pain issue I had when I eat anything, so my stamina is down a bit with the two surgeries. But it's building back fast. I wish this had been an option 15 years ago.

No, I've had complications, have no energy, lost only 11 lbs in about 6weeks post-op, and can't eat even the "safe" foods (protein shakes, yogurt, etc.). So for right now...no way!

I had my sleeve done on May 22nd and I wouldn't repeat this if I could have viewed what it would be like afterwards. I regret it fully. It won't even be worth it when I'm a 100lbs lighter....which would put me at 164 as of today. Yes, I miss food. Mostly, I'm annoyed I could die by eating a sunflower seed. This is crazy. Should have done 3 lean and greens.

Its to late now so I'm dealing with it.

Lastly don't be offended if someone post something you do not agree with. Seriously, its called freedom of speech.

Die by eating a sunflower seed? What does that mean? :huh:

I have a theory about some (not all) people who regret the surgery. They may have struggled for years to lose weight, unsuccessfully--if like most of us, in the end, any losses netted out as gains. Then they have the sleeve but lose their old friend food. Yet the weight is miraculously coming off and staying off, maybe for the first time ever. With this great new tool, they think--oh, this was easy, I could have done it on my own (with low carb, Jenny Craig, WW, fill in the blank). But I believe they are forgetting all of those previous unsuccessful attempts trying to do those things without this powerful tool and sort of idealizing what could have been done in its absence if they had just tried harder. The bottom line is that only 5 percent of people who lose weight without surgical intervention keep it off. So 95 percent gain it back!! Even if there is some regain with WLS, the amount of EWL that stays off is much, much higher. All I am saying is that VSG should get some credit where credit is due as people lament their choice to become healthier using a very effective surgical intervention.

YES!!! I'm 5 months out I've lost 73 lbs! Yes it's hard, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat! I have my health & my life back, I've never felt better. The only hard thing I've dealt with is Hair loss & I know how to fix it.

I have just finished my 3rd week post op. would I do this again? If I am being really honest I would have to say " I don't know". Although I have been doing pretty well, I am always worried about complications, am I getting enough Protein, will I get dehydrated, am I being active enough, am I too active? I have anxiety over lots of things revolving around this surgery. If in the end if I have good results and a good quality of life, of course I will be thrilled. As for now this whole experience has been hard for me and a bit more than I bargained for. I had a starting BMI of 52, and have lost 23 lbs since surgery and lost 45 pre surgery. We shall see how the story ends! Hopefully I will live happily ever after!

I have a theory about some (not all) people who regret the surgery. They may have struggled for years to lose weight, unsuccessfully--if like most of us, in the end, any losses netted out as gains. Then they have the sleeve but lose their old friend food. Yet the weight is miraculously coming off and staying off, maybe for the first time ever. With this great new tool, they think--oh, this was easy, I could have done it on my own (with low carb, Jenny Craig, WW, fill in the blank). But I believe they are forgetting all of those previous unsuccessful attempts trying to do those things without this powerful tool and sort of idealizing what could have been done in its absence if they had just tried harder. The bottom line is that only 5 percent of people who lose weight without surgical intervention keep it off. So 95 percent gain it back!! Even if there is some regain with WLS, the amount of EWL that stays off is much, much higher. All I am saying is that VSG should get some credit where credit is due as people lament their choice to become healthier using a very effective surgical intervention.

Perhaps but for me, I don't miss the food. I was never a big eater (part of the reason it was tough for me to lose - slow metabolism due to only eating 2 meals a day). I miss my energy and am disappointed in the fact that in 6 weeks I've only lost 11 lbs. Not to mention the pain, soreness, etc.

To have the energy to play with my kids is worth the extra weight I have.

Abso-freakin'-lutely !

I agree and I also wish it had been available and perfected ten or fifteen years ago. At age 53, there can't possibly be enough years left for me to shop as much as I NEED to to catch up for all the years I avoided shopping for myself!!!!!!

Perhaps but for me, I don't miss the food. I was never a big eater (part of the reason it was tough for me to lose - slow metabolism due to only eating 2 meals a day). I miss my energy and am disappointed in the fact that in 6 weeks I've only lost 11 lbs. Not to mention the pain, soreness, etc.

To have the energy to play with my kids is worth the extra weight I have.

Hang in there, TwinsMama. My PA told us that we really wouldn't start to feel "normal" energy-wise for at least 8 weeks post-op. I thought I felt pretty normal at 4 weeks, but as I incrementally got stronger and my energy improved each day, I realized at 8 weeks that I was nowhere near normal at 4 or 6 weeks. I truly really only felt like myself at about 3 months post-op. Think of it as an investment in your kids' figure--maybe a little less energy immediately post-op, but think of all of the activities and experiences you would have missed out on if you had remained obese. P.S.--I am a twin, too! :)

Hang in there, TwinsMama. My PA told us that we really wouldn't start to feel "normal" energy-wise for at least 8 weeks post-op. I thought I felt pretty normal at 4 weeks, but as I incrementally got stronger and my energy improved each day, I realized at 8 weeks that I was nowhere near normal at 4 or 6 weeks. I truly really only felt like myself at about 3 months post-op. Think of it as an investment in your kids' figure--maybe a little less energy immediately post-op, but think of all of the activities and experiences you would have missed out on if you had remained obese. P.S.--I am a twin, too! :)

TES thank you so much for your kind words. I have really been struggling with this because of the energy. Plus reading about others that feel great and lost so much so soon is a bummer.

Wow, a twin. That is truly a remarkable blessing! I love to see twins of all ages interact with each other, it blows my mind how similiar and yet different they can be.

Butterfly Gal - My answer is...as sad & as pathetic as it sounds - food was a huge part of my life. I miss my life with food. I miss going out to eat. I miss lots of things like movies' date=' family, friends, shopping, drinks, trips, dates - my life can no longer revolve around food with these outings just the outings which I guess is good, but it doesn't mean my family & friends are going to change on these outings - so I live alone & now spend even more time alone & it makes me sad. . . I didn't anticipate feeling this way, but I do. So, I do regret it & feel it is the worst mistake of my life. I will keep saying it on this site, too. I usually get lots of mean & ugly responses when I do, but if my truth can help one person not to make the same mistake as me, then, I've done a good deed for the day!

I did the surgery because I fear for my mobility since an injury a few years ago plus I am not dead yet, I wanted to look good again once more & feel good about myself. I thought 100% it was what I wanted...it isn't!

I didn't anticipated the shame & embarassment I feel as well. I have not told a living soul about this surgery, and I never will. I had told everyone I was preparing for it for over a year, and I told everyone I backed out of it. I am continuing Weight Watchers and trying to do what I can exercise wise - as far as the world will never know...I've lost it again using Weight Watchers not surgery. I lost 100 lbs three different times in my life prior to my injury..

Even though I have had no complications, even lucky - I've lost weight, I have no hunger & no thirst & no cravings for anything...I wouldn't do it again. It wasn't for me, but now I have to live with that...it is starting to get a little better each day. I can eat a few bites now; I am feeling a little more normal, but I fear I will never feel like the real me again...sad!

I hate the shakes (if I could have done shakes I wouldn't have needed the surgery in the first place), so I know hair loss is going to be terrible. I knew about Hair loss prior to surgery, but now the reality is setting in...I have hair to my waist. It is about all I got with my looks...so I am so sad about that. What is the use in being skinny again, if I have horrible hair?

Sorry to vent! I hope I answered your question. I hope someone reads my post & re-thinks their decision. I worked from May 2012 to March 2013 to have this surgery - and I was dead wrong, period.[/quote']

I'm so glad you posted your feelings. I will be sleeved on Thursday. I've been very aware that my biggest challenge is not the surgery but life changes thereafter.

I am a big eater and a Foodie. Being limited from those big plates of food is a scary thought. About 2 months ago, I started seeing a psychologist who specializes in eating disorders. It is a HUGE help.

Food isn't the problem - it's a symptom. In diving below the surface, I am learning better ways to acknowledge and accept whatever I am feeling. It's so much better than stuffing my feelings and silencing them with food.

To be fair, my husband was sleeved last month so I have a partner for the journey. And I told everyone that I am choosing surgery. But I would encourage anyone having doubts, buyer's remorse, sadness, etc, seek out a good therapist or counselor.

The reason I am pursuing this option is to be healthy. Healthy to me is body, mind, and spirit. There is no shame in reaching out for help.

Good luck.

I really don't miss a lot of the foods I used to eat. I came out of surgery with a hate for certain foods I used to love. I can't stand the taste of chocolate much, sodas of any kind, and even Water tastes still like it does when a person is sick. But there is lemon Water, and the liquid diet orange koolaid to shoot into the water. I have found a serious craving for fresh anything, veggies, fruits, meats, what we are supposed to eat. I've hit pause, and have been hovering for a couple of weeks weight wise, but my close are still growing on me, so my body I guess is just doing a catch up.

Yes, I wish I could have done it on my own, BUT, with all the prednisone, and weight gain, and inabilty to lose, I decided to nip in in the bud. Has it been rough, heck yeah, just had gall bladder surgery, so 2 surgeries in 3 months...but most of my pain(Back, knees, feet, shoulders) is gone with the 82 lbs I've lost, and I can keep up with anyone now. PLUS, I'm going to be a grandmother for the first time in February, and my grandkid is going to have a Grandma DD that can do the fun things with...which is far more important than any food I may miss out on. I do love having 6 meals a day and knowing if I get full before the apetite runs out, I just have to wait 3 hours, and I can eat again, and shrink, shrink shrink!

JJust had my 6 month check up today. Off all meds except for Vitamins. Blood pressure 130/60. 209 lbs and 36 inch waist clothes (started with 46 inch). Life is good. Daughter got married 6/15 and family and friends could not believe the new me that happened in 6 months. At 57 years old, I wish we would have had this option 20 years ago. food no longer rules my life. Life is GOOD.