Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would You Have Weight Loss Surgery Again?

Would You Have Weight Loss Surgery Again?  

421 members have voted

1. 1. Knowing what you know now about weight loss surgery, would you do it again if you had the chance to make your decision again?

• Yes, without a doubt! The surgery has been everything I’d hoped for.
    • Yes, probably. The journey hasn’t been easy, but I’m losing weight and feel that this was my best option.
    • Yes, but I would have chosen a different type of weight loss surgery.
    • No. I’ve had complications and my health has suffered and/or I haven’t been hitting my weight loss goals.
    • I haven’t had the surgery yet, but I’m looking at the results of this poll carefully to help me make my decision!
    • Other...read my response below!

Absolutely.

Excuse my language, still . . .but I am still hell no. I haven't been on this particular site since 2013 - probably at the six months out mark - due to the backlash I received for being honest about my journey & the regret I felt (feel). I received lots of negative comments on my posts & in private messages. I wasn't even a year out; I needed positive support not negative, so I stopped logging on to this site. I was hoping I would be wrong at the one year mark - and be glad I had it - as many on here said I would be, but I wasn't happy about it. Now, at the 2 year mark - I still regret it. But, with that being said, I am at a very happy & healthy place in my life otherwise. I have lost weight. I feel good. I haven't had any complications. Losing my hair (and my hair was about all I had) was very traumatic, and it was much worse than what I was prepared for, but it is slowing finally. Agreeing to have years taken off my life by having this surgery - realizing the magnitude of that now & realizing just how weak/desperate I was at that time to willingly agree to that - is so very overwhelming at times; I just try to not think about it as best I can. I just wish I hadn't done it. But, there is no rewind button on life. I am strong now. I am stronger than my regret, so that is all that matters at the end of the day.

Well I am kind of like you up there if I had it to do again I wouldn't do it either. I have had complications with swallowing in getting food to go down liquids to go down its just a mess my weight loss is slow now 16 months out. I now eat to survive and what I mean by that is I eat whatever I can get to go down easy whether it's good for me or bad for me I barely drink liquids because they hurt going down no matter what liquid it is. I have had 6 egds for dilation of my esophagus and nothing works. I've taken countless meds in both pill n liquid forms and nothing. I truly wished i had a do over. It's not been fun losing at all. I'm thankful that I've lost but now bc of the junk that i graze on, ive put 7lbs back on and it makes me angry and scared! I have a new surgeon, old one retired, so that bums me out bc he haven't a clue what I've gone/going thru and he's just peeing in the wind with zero results as well. I throw up in my sleep bc of severe acid reflux and food not passing, no matter what time i eat it! I've had 4 to 5 upper GI's, just stresses me out! Would i recommend the surgery to others, yes, bc ik it works, just not for me. I'm that 1in whatever that crap happens to, im like the punchline! ! I don't even enjoy that i finally can wear jeans after 15 yrs bc im constantly reminded, just like now as I'm writing this, that m y surgery was a failure for me. I'm in pain daily and my hair is still falling out! ! They told me that after 4 to 6 months things would be better once my stomach relaxed, not even, it's been 16 months and like i said, i throw up constantly and i have to sleep almost sitting up. Whether anyone likes my comments or not, it's MY experience and im glad yours was great, i wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy.

Absolutely, YES!!!! Love, love, love my new belly, life and tomorrow. Hope is real folks????????????????????

:) Yes, I wish I would've done it sooner, but I was scared and let fear take a hold of me, I am happy with my results I know I should've lost a lot more but I'm not trying to be model thin, I'm happy I got the 100lbs. which were causing me so much pain, I would do it over again I am very happy

Well I am kind of like you up there if I had it to do again I wouldn't do it either. I have had complications with swallowing in getting food to go down liquids to go down its just a mess my weight loss is slow now 16 months out. I now eat to survive and what I mean by that is I eat whatever I can get to go down easy whether it's good for me or bad for me I barely drink liquids because they hurt going down no matter what liquid it is. I have had 6 egds for dilation of my esophagus and nothing works. I've taken countless meds in both pill n liquid forms and nothing. I truly wished i had a do over. It's not been fun losing at all. I'm thankful that I've lost but now bc of the junk that i graze on, ive put 7lbs back on and it makes me angry and scared! I have a new surgeon, old one retired, so that bums me out bc he haven't a clue what I've gone/going thru and he's just peeing in the wind with zero results as well. I throw up in my sleep bc of severe acid reflux and food not passing, no matter what time i eat it! I've had 4 to 5 upper GI's, just stresses me out! Would i recommend the surgery to others, yes, bc ik it works, just not for me. I'm that 1in whatever that crap happens to, im like the punchline! ! I don't even enjoy that i finally can wear jeans after 15 yrs bc im constantly reminded, just like now as I'm writing this, that m y surgery was a failure for me. I'm in pain daily and my hair is still falling out! ! They told me that after 4 to 6 months things would be better once my stomach relaxed, not even, it's been 16 months and like i said, i throw up constantly and i have to sleep almost sitting up. Whether anyone likes my comments or not, it's MY experience and im glad yours was great, i wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy.

Sorry you are having such difficulties. Hoping your new medical treatment will turn things around for you. Keep your chin up!

Yes, I would have the surgery again , for the weight loss and for having control over food. I am 7 months out and no complications physically except hair loss but that is normal.

No, I would not have the surgery for the mental changes. I just wish I knew how much I was going to change mentally before hand. I was a strong woman before my surgery. I could face many stressful disruptions in my life and keep pressing forward. Today any stress makes me sick. I throw up, I cry, I shut down. I feel like I can't handle things like I normally would. I am forgetful and at times confused.

I thought under all this weight was a firecracker of a woman, but really I found I am uncovering a broken little girl. At times this is hard to deal with and I miss not having to deal with these emotions or feelings. The overwhelming feeling of not fitting in and being normal is stronger now then when I weighted 350.

Like any choice there are two sides. I understand all the yeses, I too would do it again. I also understand the when others say No.

This post spoke to me. For me, the rawness and vulnerability I feel without being able to turn to food for comfort is sometimes almost unbearable. Excess food was the way I coped and kept my life going. It's not in my arsenal today. I'm divorcing and I'm so fearful, but I found that I just can't and won't return to the food. As a matter of fact, giving up the food was what I needed to do before I had the strength to leave my husband. I go to OA and CODA now, and it helps me tremendously. I knew I'd have a monumental change in personality and confidence after giving up the food. Yes, I am more scared than ever. But going through these trials without excess food is slowly building my new courageous muscles. The LapBand will help me keep my appetite under control and the weight from returning if I am vigilant. Everything else is up to me. But I needed to make that change so badly. My life was like a walking death. I believe these trials will be behind me one day, and I will be able to live with joy in a healthy body. I refuse to accept less.
You have spoken volumes. I always felt like if addiction wasn't so darn demonized, so many of us would have been healthier a long time ago. Kudos to you! Congrats on your strength and best wishes!

Excuse my language, but Hell No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

. Why not?

What was your BMI? Which surgery?

I would like to know from people that had the sleeve with a bmi of 30, are you happy with the results? Would you do it again?

Some hidden reasons to have WLS....1 limited food choices 2 that sick feeling after taking one bite too much 3 having the "runs" right after eating 4 having "gas attacks" constantly 5 watching yourself and others that have had WLS slowly gain back weight if not careful 6 increase in acid reflux and indigestion. If you enjoy even having the possibilities of these symptoms then go ahead and have WLS. Just my observations.

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using the BariatricPal App

Excuse my language, but Hell No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why wouldn't you do it again? Can you please explain more? My husband is supportive of the surgery but my parents are not. I just had consult with surgeon.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The surgeons will tell you you WILL need to change your eating habits. Change your eating habits now and save the surgery pain and expense.

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using the BariatricPal App

I am almost 4 years out. I would do it again tomorrow! It MADE me want to change my eating habits. I run and am so much more active and healthy. I don't have side effects from the surgery other than if I eat sugary foods my stomach will become upset. I also can not eat bread or rice or I feel bloated and sick.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I would have it again, I wouldn't do the gastric sleeve I would opt for the gastric bypass, being that it's more restrictive. I've gained weight I feel like I failed myself. I have a ton of issues in my life that are overwhelming and have me stressed out. I can't change things in my life for now. I care for a loved one who is mentally ill and that is a rollercoaster ride. I also don't like the feeling of taking a Vitamin and it makes me sick. There are a lot of things that bother me about my surgery I wish I had more control over but I don't. I can eat a small amount, I lost 100lbs. the first year, and then slowly I gained back some. I went thru a depression I felt deprived and was eating like a bird, I was tired all the time. Vitamins didn't make a difference. The reflux is bad, and I can't tolerate the nexium. People don't realize that it's not a quick fix, you have added issues. Yes, I love how I felt when I was 100lbs thinner but it doesn't last unless you exercise like crazy and eat like a bird, some of the Protein powders aren't tasteful. Maybe I need a support group/