Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

13 Ideas to Help Your VSG Journey

Thanks to this forum and all of the reading I do on success and positive thinking, I've compiled a list of ideas that I've found helpful in our journey to be healthier and slimmer with VSG. I hope you may find something that will help you, whether you're a newbie or a veteran.

1.. I know it will be hard, but try cleaning out your kitchen of foods you shouldn't eat. it's a lot harder to go and drive somewhere to get bad food than it is to just reach in the cabinet. if you have others in your house that you are buying the junk food for, talk with them about how this is hindering your progress and give them healthy alternative Snacks as well. donate any unopened foods to your local food pantry.

2. Surround yourself with positive affirmations. Read motivational books, music, dvds etc. I am a Christian and Bible scriptures and prayer help me.

3. Put a picture on your fridge, mirror, car dash and so forth of the ultimate look you want to achieve, whether it's a pic of how you use to look or a pic from a magazine of how you'd like to look.

4. Find your Mantra and post it everywhere as well. This mantra can change weekly, monthly or whenever you need a new one. (such as "just do it", "walking makes me sexier", "I AM a gorgeous woman". Speak as though you ARE what you want to become!

5. Plan your meals and snacks out for a week in advance, or at least a day in advance. then shop and stock your kitchen with these items. this way you aren't tempted by bad foods because you had nothing good in the house to eat.

6. if you don't have a tracking method, this is a MUST. there are numerous apps for iPhones etc. some populate ones are Lose It and My Fitness Pal. If you don't have a smart phone, then buy a pocket journal to write everything you eat down and buy a pocket nutrition count book that list Protein and carb counts.

7. If you have trouble with Water intake, try getting some of those cute insulated tumblers with lids and fill up several for the day and keep in the fridge, when they are all empty you know you've reached your goal for the day.

8. Set alarms on your phone throughout the day as a reminder to drink your water or to eat your protein.

9. Get a little lunch cooler or insulated lunch tote and fill it with string cheese, bottled water, Greek yogurt etc to have in your car when running errands so you aren't tempted to get fast food.

10. Set weekly and monthly goals with rewards or celebrations for achieving each goal.

11. Make a Vision Board to represent your new life when you reach your ultimate goal weight. I have on mine a cute swimsuit, parasailing, hiking etc.

12. Find a form of exercise that you enjoy and set goals to add exercise into your weekly routine. It could be dancing, tennis, volleyball, badminton, softball etc. it doesn't have to be just walking or running. Try a different sport each month to keep it fun.

13. Keep a calendar and organize your life to help keep stress down, so you can focus on you journey to better health and a happier life!

I'm typing this on my iPhone, so please disregard any typos. Please let me know if any of these ideas help you. God Bless and give us strength to achieve our goals and pay it forward to help others succeed.

What tips would you add to this list?

GREAT IDEAS!!!!!

GREAT IDEAS!!!!!

thanks!

Those are great ideas! Thanks for sharing.

Awesome tips! I actually did a vision board this last weekend. I have it up in my office in front of my desk. Also the life coach that gave the "vision board" party said we should do a daily journal and post 3 things we love about ourselves everyday, even if they change daily.

14. Maintain a sense of humor. You are still alive after all and laughter burns calories (not sure if my FitBit will count it, but hey...)

Awesome tips! I actually did a vision board this last weekend. I have it up in my office in front of my desk. Also the life coach that gave the "vision board" party said we should do a daily journal and post 3 things we love about ourselves everyday' date=' even if they change daily.[/quote']

great tip!

14. Maintain a sense of humor. You are still alive after all and laughter burns calories (not sure if my FitBit will count it' date=' but hey...)[/quote']

Humor is a must for me too! I just cracked myself up today. My best friend is 6 months older than I am and her birthday is this week. I sent her the attached text. I made myself laugh so hard I almost choked on my cheese stick. it wasn't that funny, just needed a laugh. ????

post-50249-13813663641712_thumb.jpg

I'd add the following: Don't compare your journey to anyone else's journey. Celebrate where you are today instead of being unhappy that you haven't made it to goal yet. Talk positively and think positive when discussing your journey. You didn't get fat overnight and you won't get skinny overnight either. And, to steal from The Help: You is good. You is smart. You is important. Treat yourself that way! :)

I like these tips. Very good! I recently bought a SmashBook and have started to fill it with outfits I like and thought it might be a good way to chronicle my WL surgery and journey.

I'd add the following: Don't compare your journey to anyone else's journey. Celebrate where you are today instead of being unhappy that you haven't made it to goal yet. Talk positively and think positive when discussing your journey. You didn't get fat overnight and you won't get skinny overnight either. And' date=' to steal from The Help: You is good. You is smart. You is important. Treat yourself that way! :)[/quote']

you are right Lissa! I'm guilty of comparing for sure.

I'd add the following: Don't compare your journey to anyone else's journey. Celebrate where you are today instead of being unhappy that you haven't made it to goal yet. Talk positively and think positive when discussing your journey. You didn't get fat overnight and you won't get skinny overnight either. And' date=' to steal from The Help: You is good. You is smart. You is important. Treat yourself that way! :)[/quote']

you are right Lissa! I'm guilty of comparing for sure.

I like these tips. Very good! I recently bought a SmashBook and have started to fill it with outfits I like and thought it might be a good way to chronicle my WL surgery and journey.

what's a smashbook?