Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I appreciate everyone telling their real experiences of the first few days of the sleeve! It helps me to be ready for what to expect! Knowledge is power! Good luck to all of you!! I am scheduled for surgery March 27th.

I was sleeved on the 27th also i am having alot of gass. I just had a bowelmovement the nurse told me i can take a capsule of stool softner and that helped.I am having problems with eating i am so done with Soups but what can i do. Their were day were i said what did i do to my self but then i relize their is mo turning back now.

Jacee, I really hope you will be able to get a good nights rest soon! I agree with the gas pains. My sleep is mainly broken up. I however am not walking a mile and haven't been to a store! I can't speak on behalf of everyone but I am certainly not a petty person and I am here to listen - vent away! I've not gone to BR yet for #2 (TMI), but I think I'm going to call my dr soon so he can prescribe something for me. I might be a little afraid to go too, not sure. Hope I go soon. Our surgery dates are very close in range so it might be nice to keep each other updated as well. Keep me posted on how you're doing.

Good luck in March! Let us know how you make out! Prayers your way!

nurse told me i can take a capsule of stool softner and that helped.

I was sleeved on the 27th also i am having alot of gass. I just had a bowelmovement the nurse told me i can take a capsule of stool softner and that helped.I am having problems with eating i am so done with Soups but what can i do. Their were day were i said what did i do to my self but then i relize their is mo turning back now.

Hello,

Did you take a capsule or gel cap? Also what kind was it?

Skip this line if your queasy TMI but a bowel movement at this stage of the game consists of liquid. Hey I am gratefull for that even. As it eases 3/4 of the worst of it for awhile. Out of 12 trips to the bathroom, I may be able to go 1 time. Its discouraging, cause its the only thing that helps.

This too shall pass...I know..just wish it would hurry up.

J

Jacee, I really hope you will be able to get a good nights rest soon! I agree with the gas pains. My sleep is mainly broken up. I however am not walking a mile and haven't been to a store! I can't speak on behalf of everyone but I am certainly not a petty person and I am here to listen - vent away! I've not gone to BR yet for #2 (TMI), but I think I'm going to call my dr soon so he can prescribe something for me. I might be a little afraid to go too, not sure. Hope I go soon. Our surgery dates are very close in range so it might be nice to keep each other updated as well. Keep me posted on how you're doing.

Good luck in March! Let us know how you make out! Prayers your way!

Thanks Prettylittleheart I would love to keep in touch so we can share our successes and keep each other motivated!

If your comfortable message me your stats so I can keep up with your success.

I will add you as a friend. Soon we will be talking about the cute smaller clothes we bought instead of pain, gas, Constipation and diarrhea! lol

Blessings,

J

I am comfortable but VERY new to this forum & stats!

Just a baseline and little history -

I'm 21, co-morbidities: hypertension, elevated lipids, and poly cystic ovarian disease. SW: 326 My weight the day before surgery: 303 - I haven't weighed myself since but am going for a follow up on 3/13. I'm a nurse, but have a desk job so I only took two weeks off. I am so excited to but new clothes from the actual store & have people look at me and want to explore me further! I think it helps to keep each other motivated and stay focused one day at a time! I also did a liquid Protein diet that consisted of - Protein shakes, SF Popsicles, broth, crystal light, Powerade zero, etc which I had to do for 15 days (16 counting the day of surgery, but some people don't do that) I'm thinking of getting a myfitnesspal account when I actually get to the food phase lol and starting to work out but YES - I completely agree I cannot wait to get the recovery part behind and am hoping for a speedy recovery for us all!

I was sleeved on Mon 2/25/13 and everything has been fine. Luckily my dr sucks out as much air as he can so I had minimal gas pains.

Drinking however that's another story. When I woke up after surgery my cheeks were stuck to my teeth. I couldn't moisten my mouth.

When I got up to pee (I had 3 bags iv fluid) I stopped at the sink & I rinsed & swished and spit. Ugh it was yellow, dried blood, tube residue....I know I rinsed & moistened my mouth for a good 5 min.

I actually asked the nurse to bring me Water & a cup to spit in.

That night I could begin sipping at 9:00. I took tiny sips and it took 3 hours to do an ounce.

I sipped all night & day and finally got into a routine of Gatorade & Water as my salvation.

I'm day 6 post op and it takes me about 5 min to do an ounce of liquid.

Today has been bad. I have had low grade fever, weak, shaky, head cold, congested and I'm praying its not pneumonia.

I have had no food, no Protein shakes, nothing but chicken broth, water, ice, juice, Gatorade, Popsicles & Jello.

I finally went to the bathroom on Saturday.

After the 20 oz laxative that I drank before my surgery I didn't think anything else would come out for days.

I begin the Protein Shakes phase tomorrow and I hope I can handle it. Right now the thought of food gags me. I'm not hungry at all and I don't even miss eating.

I'm down over 25 lbs already.

Congrats on the weight loss! I'm having a hard time getting in all my fluids too. At night, I've been running a low grade temp. Highest I've gotten is 99.8F that has me a little stressed out. I think I may over done it today though - took a shower, walked a lot more because I was feeling better. Minimal pain- on the scale 1-10 it's probably a 1-2. I think I'm just stressing myself out. Hope you feel better though! Keep us posted please!

I was sleeved on Mon 2/25/13 and everything has been fine. Luckily my dr sucks out as much air as he can so I had minimal gas pains.

Drinking however that's another story. When I woke up after surgery my cheeks were stuck to my teeth. I couldn't moisten my mouth.

When I got up to pee (I had 3 bags iv fluid) I stopped at the sink & I rinsed & swished and spit. Ugh it was yellow, dried blood, tube residue....I know I rinsed & moistened my mouth for a good 5 min.

I actually asked the nurse to bring me Water & a cup to spit in.

That night I could begin sipping at 9:00. I took tiny sips and it took 3 hours to do an ounce.

I sipped all night & day and finally got into a routine of Gatorade & Water as my salvation.

I'm day 6 post op and it takes me about 5 min to do an ounce of liquid.

Today has been bad. I have had low grade fever, weak, shaky, head cold, congested and I'm praying its not pneumonia.

I have had no food, no Protein shakes, nothing but chicken broth, water, ice, juice, Gatorade, Popsicles & Jello.

I finally went to the bathroom on Saturday.

After the 20 oz laxative that I drank before my surgery I didn't think anything else would come out for days.

I begin the Protein Shakes phase tomorrow and I hope I can handle it. Right now the thought of food gags me. I'm not hungry at all and I don't even miss eating.

I'm down over 25 lbs already.

Mactrio, Wow you have lost 25 lbs in just 9 days? Was any of the pre surgery? Its just my opinion, but my surgery was on the 27th, and I am drinking a bit more than you are able too.

Some ideas to drink more are

set a H20 goal

Set a timer

add some flavor to your water

keep track on paper how much is going in

use a sippy cup or a shot glass

try some strained out egg drop Soup. Its sooo good.

Don't be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone and try taking a little bit bigger sips, I did and it wasn't bothersome.

Every day I am drinking more and more, I will admit the protien shakes make my stomach do flips although I drink about a quarter of the box anyway

I am getting in about 64 ounces of Fluid.

Maybe if you could consume more Fluid, you would feel better.That and being as active as possible. Just move your body every hour. It makes you feel so much more positive and its a good at keeping your risk of blood clots lower.

The gas pains, I hear ya sister! I think I may be healed already if it weren't for those. They are relentless and excruciating. I too have not had too many bms

obviously creating the horrible gas. I took MofM its not a wonder potion but it did help a tiny bit.

I really hope each day finds new and improved healing for you!

Keep posting!

J

I don't feel as much pain when I swallow - although I do find if I sip too much too fast it does cause slight discomfort. Just take intake of fluids slow. If you feel discomfort try slowing down a little. I've also read that some people have different tolerances for temperature for fluids after the surgery such as some people tolerate cold fluids better than room temperature. On second note - I've read cold liquids (h2o) increases the metabolism. I worry about over doing it too' date=' but I try to listen to my tummy and take small, slow sips where as before the surgery I could finish a three liter bottle of Water in a 1 hour & a 1/2. Also - another suggestion sugar free Popsicles may help you too! If your MD allows them. It will increase calories ( depending on how many you are getting a day) and help increase your Fluid in take just take it slow and chew it to a slush consistency.

& congrats on being sleeved on the 28th! I haven't met many people who are so I'm always happy to hear people have had it on the same day! How are you feeling?[/quote']

Feeling slowly better each day and making it a personal mission to get Protein and fluids in. It's a full time job! I'm still having gas and discomfort which is helped somewhat by walking. Sitting in a chair is still the most painful though. I'd rather be lying down or walking. How are you feeling day 4?

Feeling slowly better day by day. I am still a little sore, but up and moving around a little already this am. I find gas pains are a little bad this am, but I've not taken anything for them hoping they will just pass. Sitting up to get up still hurts worse for me as well. Temps fine this am too. How are you feeling? Hope you're well!

I am 4 days post-op and I am still having some pretty bad pain on the right side of my stomach (a little below my largest incision). I am up and walking around pretty regularly and I am pretty close to meeting my fluid/protein goals! I have lost about 5 more pounds since surgery! However, I do find that I still need my liquid lortab about every 5-6 hours. Anyone else still needing their pain meds? If it wasn't for this pain on the right side of my stomach, I would literally be pain free....I haven't had any fevers and I have had a few BMs...I'm just wondering if it is gas pain or muscle pain.

Mactrio, Wow you have lost 25 lbs in just 9 days? Was any of the pre surgery? Its just my opinion, but my surgery was on the 27th, and I am drinking a bit more than you are able too.

Some ideas to drink more are

set a H20 goal

Set a timer

add some flavor to your Water

keep track on paper how much is going in

use a sippy cup or a shot glass

try some strained out egg drop Soup. Its sooo good.

Don't be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone and try taking a little bit bigger sips, I did and it wasn't bothersome.

Every day I am drinking more and more, I will admit the protien shakes make my stomach do flips although I drink about a quarter of the box anyway

I am getting in about 64 ounces of Fluid.

Maybe if you could consume more Fluid, you would feel better.That and being as active as possible. Just move your body every hour. It makes you feel so much more positive and its a good at keeping your risk of blood clots lower.

The gas pains, I hear ya sister! I think I may be healed already if it weren't for those. They are relentless and excruciating. I too have not had too many bms

obviously creating the horrible gas. I took MofM its not a wonder potion but it did help a tiny bit.

I really hope each day finds new and improved healing for you!

Keep posting!

J

I finally feel a little better. I saw my dr yesterday and he told me that all of my weakness, dizziness....is normal. He prescribed Prilosec for my tummy gurgling (I have to crush them for 2 more weeks) and said that after a few doses my tummy will be more receptive to creamy foods & drinks.

I have been moved to creamy liquids, apple sauce, Protein shakes, creamed Soups, Beans...for week 2. He told me to build up to Proteins, drink slow but steady.

My weight loss included 4 lbs lost between consult & surgery (1/21 to 2/25)

So I'm down 24.4 (dr office weight fully dressed) 25 lbs (at home not dressed)

But a loss is a loss!! I was 331 Pre op- 227 day of and 306.6 at his office

I'm working on a banana cream flavored Protein shake right now. It's 11 oz and filling.

I have no appetite at all and I'm not ever hungry so it's hard to drink because I'm full.

I'm walking a bit (I have several autoimmune diseases and being off med's (some can not be crushed) has increased the daily difficulties of my life) but due to balance issues my walking is limited to inside (I lose balance & fall, I get numb and lose leg functions...) my neuro & rheumy along with my doctor have all said that once I can take my medicines again after 3 weeks that I will feel better and that I can worry about doing more walking then. He doesn't want me to fall on my tummy.

Anyway I'm sipping all day, it's still hard to do an oz every 15 min because I'm super full. I have Protein Shakes, apple juice, Gatorade, Water, ice chips, applesauce & popcicles on my menu today.

I have almost a burning sensation to just one incision. If I move a certain way, or sit down on a low lying surface (sofa) i do feel a tugging sensation. I have no redness and I was running a temp in the 99*F but never got any higher than that. Called my surgeons nurse yesterday, she said as long as there aren't any s/s of infection to my sites or burning on urination just monitor it, but it's fine. Yesterday, was my first day I didn't take any pain meds & my temp. also stabilized itself the entire day/night. I might have to take a spoonful of pain med today because I had my first sneeze which hurt like h. e. double hockey sticks to say the least and it has left me a little sore. Not bad though. I'm not in excruciating pain thank God. I've been mainly trying to wean myself off of it though but no doubt about it - if I need it, I will take it & not think twice about it.

As far as fluids/protein. I find myself SO full. I'm still having a hard time getting in all my Water. Supposed to be getting in 48oz + the Protein shakes. (I've been using whey isolate powder w/ h2o.) not the most pleasant tasting one but I do find the more Protein I intake I feel better. Yesterday I got in 60g of protein and a whole bottle of Water, and one SF Popsicle. That was it. Couldn't go anymore. Still trying to slowly increase. Today, so far I've gotten in 30g and about 8 oz of Powerade zero. Still pushing though.

One more note: congratulations on the weight loss!! I go to my surgeon on the 13th can't wait to see how much I lost!!