Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Bandsters???

Hey everyone,

Well I had the morning from hell with some family stuff going on. Needless to say, before surgery I probably would have eaten something really bad to supress the anger I have right now. Now there is nothing I can do. I can't wait to heal completely I swear I'm going to take boxing lessons at a gym in my town (old school gym).

With the family stuff a lot of issues about the band came up. I think my mother is a little envious about the fact that my dad okayed them paying for it out of their pocket. She told me if dad wasn't around, she would have left me being "fat and miserable". I think because she sees it as she can do something more productive (in her point of view) with $15,500 than the lap-band.

So, for tonight I was asked to stay somewhere else so she can clear her head. I'm going to stay at my cousin's and call a therapist tomorrow because I think I need someone to talk to about these things. And I think she does too. I told myself I wasn't going to get depressed after surgery but this fight kind of put me over the edge where I want to cry. A lot.

Any support, advice, or kind words are so appreciated. I feel like you guys are the only ones who get this whole journey, so I would appreciate it!

Hey everyone,

Well I had the morning from hell with some family stuff going on. Needless to say, before surgery I probably would have eaten something really bad to supress the anger I have right now. Now there is nothing I can do. I can't wait to heal completely I swear I'm going to take boxing lessons at a gym in my town (old school gym).

With the family stuff a lot of issues about the band came up. I think my mother is a little envious about the fact that my dad okayed them paying for it out of their pocket. She told me if dad wasn't around, she would have left me being "fat and miserable". I think because she sees it as she can do something more productive (in her point of view) with $15,500 than the lap-band.

So, for tonight I was asked to stay somewhere else so she can clear her head. I'm going to stay at my cousin's and call a therapist tomorrow because I think I need someone to talk to about these things. And I think she does too. I told myself I wasn't going to get depressed after surgery but this fight kind of put me over the edge where I want to cry. A lot.

Any support, advice, or kind words are so appreciated. I feel like you guys are the only ones who get this whole journey, so I would appreciate it!

I'm so sorry that this altercation happened with you. I know families can be difficult at times and I'm not sure of what the other issues are, but keep your self focused. I think sometimes family and friends don't want us to change cuz we were sooo much funner when we weren't working on ourselves. And focus on the fact that your father supported you in this and wants you to be around for a good long time!

Shawn

Andrea - first of all your father must love you so very much to give you the band. Enjoy his gift of love and DO NOT feel guilty! I would do it for my child too.

Your mother sounds like maybe she has some other issues going on, maybe her and your father are having some problems? So try and keep your chin up.

You cannot control your mothers actions, words, or thoughts, you can only control your own.

A new environment might be what you need. You don't want the negativity to get inside you, and going to see a theripist is a wonderful solution. Not turning to food in a time like this is so hard, so a theripist will help with the emotional turmoil and frustration you are going thru.

Just hang in there, and give your mother some space. Like I said, she obviously has some other issues she is dealing with.

PS - sometimes a good cry is what we all need!

Maria - how can that be cheating? You lost the weight, so YOU deserve to count it. I know I am counting every pound I lose! Pre-op and all! I've worked hard for it and by Gawd, I'm counting it! LOL.

And, anything you lose BEFORE surgery, you darn sure are ahead of the game! Congrats, your doing great!

Thanks Tonya! :)

I am happy to add that the scale finally moved again this morning, and I am down another pound. Whee!

Thanks for all your encouragement. I must say that pants that were once tight fit comfortably. I am going to stay away from the scale. I was also getting a visit form Aunt Flo so the bloating could have been a factor. I will remain optimistic and disciplined because I really have little restriction. My first fill is in March but I am going to get to the gym by the end of this week still not fully painless in the port area.

Love you guys

Hey everyone,

I'm sorry that you are going through a hard time. But you have the right idea about seeking support & help with difficult situations. I went to a therapist for a couple of years for issues I had with my parents and it was money well spent.....like with the band I wish I would have did it sooner! Surround yourself with positive people, places, and things. Let me know if you need to talk.

Good Morning Bandsters !

I feel so envious of all of you who can get out and walk and excercise !

Part of the reason I had this surgery was because I need a hip and knee replacement. The Hip will come first But loosing 50 or 60 lbs before I have the joint replacement will make me a much better canidate and make a better recovery. My Orthopedics Dr. wants to see me in 3 mo.

I say to all of you who have had this surgery while you are still young( and I consider anything in the 20s,30s & 40s young even 50's if you have good joints and health) It was the right thing to do. I have always been very active and thought oh I can get this weight off but just never did. I have always weighed in excess of 270 -300 but never let it keep me from enjoying my life jazzercising,Dancing,working 40 hrs a wk.etc. Then I turned 50 and my joints just started giving out ! The more I would try and work through the pain the more Motrin I would have to take. The last 3 yrs of my life the only way I could walk and work was with Epidurals of Cortisone.

My Husband and I have been married for 40 yrs and all we could talk about was when we retired we were going to travel and see the world. Well we both retired in May of 06 and so far we have no time for travel just my Dr's appts :-( I must use a wheelchair for Dr's appts,a mobility scooter for shopping and a walker for around the house and w/o Cortisone I am in constant pain.

I am telling you guys all this so you know the decision to have this surgery was the right one. I am living proof !

On the bright side I have lost about 23 lbs and I am counting since I first went on the nasty liquid protien 2 weeks before my surgery and I am now 2 weeks post op.

I ate a 1 egg omlette for Breakfast this AM and a half of a W.W. english muffin w/butter spray and 1 pc of fake bacon, Yum it was delicious and I almost feel human again. That filled me up ! I do not seem to have any issues with the food going down but I do get full very fast. I will get my first band fill in March.

Just appreciate any excercise you can get in even if it is only 10 min. I am hoping with each pound I loose I will become less dependent on all my mobility aides.

You guys are all doing great and it is an inspiration to hear all your sucess stories.

Joanne

I accidently swallowed a pice of gum does that automatically mean problems i have not had my first fill yet so hopefully that makes a difference . does anyone know what signs to look for indicating a problem thanks for the help

I accidently swallowed a pice of gum does that automatically mean problems i have not had my first fill yet so hopefully that makes a difference . does anyone know what signs to look for indicating a problem thanks for the help

Hi nicknack-i don't think it necesarily means automatic problems..I think you need to watch for it to pass. Also, if you feel like something is "stuck" then I would call the MD. I swallowed an orange pit 3 days ago and was sooo scared, but it passed and it was ok...keep an eye out and if you don't see it soon I'd call the MD.. Good luck!!!

Good Morning Bandsters !

Part of the reason I had this surgery was because I need a hip and knee replacement. The Hip will come first But loosing 50 or 60 lbs before I have the joint replacement will make me a much better canidate and make a better recovery. My Orthopedics Dr. wants to see me in 3 mo.Joanne

Joanne - a suggestion for you, can you do Water aerobics? I've heard it is wonderful for people with joint problems? Usually the local Y has a class. Just thought I would throw out that suggestion for you.

Your doing great! Hang in there!

I think you would know if you had a problem - the tight feeling in the chest etc.

I've avoided gum all together for that very reason, I'm afraid of swallowing it accidently.

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to say thanks so much for your support, it means a lot to me. I'm still staying at my cousin's tonight. I have to go to the grocery store after work and get my "supplies" ie: cottage cheese to sustain me for a few days since we're suppossed to get some snow and I might not have a choice but to stay there for a few days.:faint:

This thing with my mom is still driving me nuts, I have to just let it go I guess. It gives me more motivation to move out after I graduate. I already applied for some jobs out of state since living in Connecticut is so expensive for a single girl like me! Hopefully I'll be moving to the metro DC area by June 1st. So there is some motivation I guess.

I'll keep you updated when I get home tonight if anything changes.

Everyone keep up the good work on the weightloss and exercise!

:kiss2:

Hey everyone,

HI Andrea!! First let me congratulate you on your banding. We were banded on the same day!! Reguarding your situation with your mom...I can relate. Although i am 31 and married my mom still can't comprehend why I had to "tie my stomach" as she calls it. I've just become kind of imune to it. Easier said than done since due to her health issues she is living with us!!!:) Anyway, You are very lucky to have your dad understand and accept your decision and even help you out. i think your dad understands how important your health is to you. Now your mom. Maybe she just doesn't understand how important your decision to get the band was for you as well as for your health. Maybe she just needs some time to figuer it all out. Take this time for yourself. i do agree with calling a professional. It's always good to talk to someone who has a neutral perspective...I'm no therapist but I hope my words can help you out in some way. Think positive and you will get positive results..I have afavorite quote and I don't know if you are religous or not, but here goes..."GOD does not give us burdens which we can not carry." You are in my thoughts and my prayers!!! I wish you the best and keep up the great work.. Your on your way to a better life!!! Good luck and Keep me posted!!!!

Love ya!!!!:kiss2:

Olga

Good Morning Bandsters !

Part of the reason I had this surgery was because I need a hip and knee replacement. The Hip will come first But loosing 50 or 60 lbs before I have the joint replacement will make me a much better canidate and make a better recovery. My Orthopedics Dr. wants to see me in 3 mo.

I say to all of you who have had this surgery while you are still young( and I consider anything in the 20s,30s & 40s young even 50's if you have good joints and health) It was the right thing to do. I have always been very active and thought oh I can get this weight off but just never did. I have always weighed in excess of 270 -300 but never let it keep me from enjoying my life jazzercising,Dancing,working 40 hrs a wk.etc. Then I turned 50 and my joints just started giving out ! The more I would try and work through the pain the more Motrin I would have to take. The last 3 yrs of my life the only way I could walk and work was with Epidurals of Cortisone.

My Husband and I have been married for 40 yrs and all we could talk about was when we retired we were going to travel and see the world. Well we both retired in May of 06 and so far we have no time for travel just my Dr's appts :-( I must use a wheelchair for Dr's appts,a mobility scooter for shopping and a walker for around the house and w/o Cortisone I am in constant pain.

I am telling you guys all this so you know the decision to have this surgery was the right one. I am living proof !

On the bright side I have lost about 23 lbs and I am counting since I first went on the nasty liquid protien 2 weeks before my surgery and I am now 2 weeks post op.

Just appreciate any excercise you can get in even if it is only 10 min. I am hoping with each pound I loose I will become less dependent on all my mobility aides.

You guys are all doing great and it is an inspiration to hear all your sucess stories.

Joanne

Hi Joanne- I just wanted to tell you that I think you are doing GREAT! I think that as you lose weight, you're going to lose your mobility aids. That will be wonderful. Swimming is a fantastic exercise for anyone with joint issues. Best of luck to you-Gigi:)

Hi Gigi8, How are you? How are you feeling?