Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Bandsters???

I still can't sleep on my stomach, and I really miss that. The area around my large incision is very sore, too. I'm actually having more pain in the left side now (2 weeks post-op) than I did right after surgery. Every time I move it feels like my insides are shifting around. It's particularly bad in the evenings.

On a positive note, I took the bandage off my belly button today and it looks like my doc gave me a little plastic surgery for free. I was born with a herniated belly button, so it has never looked very good. It seems that my doc removed some of the excess tissue when he sewed up the incision in there. It now looks like a normal belly button. Yay!

Thats cool!!!

Yesterday was my day, too. I also had them pricking me three different times and places because they had a hard time getting the IV set. The anesthesia Doc, ( recommended by Dr. friend of mine that runs the department, who I didn't want there considering the tale of the paper panties), took over from the nurse anesthetist and finally got it done with a "pediatric" catheter. He told me that it can be difficult sometimes, because they have us fast before surgery, which causes

the veins to collapse. Note to anyone going in- stay really well hydrated before surgery so that the "no food/drink after midnight"won't contribute as much to collapsing the veins.

I was planning to go home last night, but needed the IV painkillers. I also had lots of nausea- never did lose it, just felt like was going to. They had a good anti-nausea med put into the IV that really helped.

Walked 5 times during the night stay- hospitals are not really a good place if you are looking for a lot of sleep. Got better with every jaunt round the hosital floor. Came home this morning- having a hard time getting all my liquids in, afraid to get nauseous. I'll keep trying, I know how important it is.

I am beginning to feel a bit better this afternoon. Was in pain until this a.m. and very sore to touch. Tough to get in and out of bed. Another tip- the nurse last night told me to try to sleep on my left side, beause it is the best position for gas elimination.

Gigi, Ladyleo868, Sherilynn and all other 30's hope you are doing o.k.and getting through it.

Kim

223/217/130

pre-op/surgery day/goal

:) Hello everyone! hope all is well...To all those who have been banded in the past few days..WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!! I hope your new journey is well under way and with no "Big" problems...For those of you who have kept us going thank you for the support, the well wishes and the understanding...As for my surgery experience....I was scheduled fro 2:30pm on the 26th, the MD was ahead of scheduled so they called me to come in at 12pm. They did my IV, gave a shot in my belly (blood thinner) and a cool patch behind my left ear for nausea (boy did that help!!!) Anesthesisa cam and talked to us, the doctor came and talk to us and marked my belly with his zorro pen..lol...and then the good stuff came...anesthesia came back, and shot me up with giggle juice...(I couldn' t stop laughing...) rolled me into the or...and 1 hour later I was in recovery...They fed me APPLE JUICE!!! Needless to say my MD was very upset!!!! and so wasn't my stomach...but, in the end, it was all ok.. Now I had to stay overnight because my oxygen level took it's time to come back up...but it was better that way.. I felt safer at the Hospital..just in case...I came home saturday at 10am..and that's when the gas hit!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!:faint: I have NEVER been in such pain..and i've had 2 c-sections!!!!!!!! HOLY SMOKES!!!! I was in tears for 3 days..no gas x helped, no petho position helped, no walking helped...NOTHING!!!!!! I'm into my 5th day and thank GOD I'ts MUCH BEtter....Still there...but much better!!! So, Protein Drinks make me nauseaus.....I drink Carnation instant Breakfast because it's the only thing that will stay down...and my broths, crystal light and water....but NO Atkins or EAS drinks:eek: :) !!! YUCK!!!!!!!!! I will be able to eat yogurt and runny foods on saturday...I CAN"T WAIT!!! I haven't had any issues with my incisions..They are sore, but noting to talk about (as you can tell) my port is right above my belly button on the right side...So...It has not been easy...but it's getting better day by day. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers...Mines are with you all as well..:clap2: .Keep up the hard work because as we all know this is not as easy as people might think!! Love ya guys!!!!! God bless!!! ~:kiss2: ~Olga:)

HI family just an update.

First of all, good to read everyone's success. I met with my surgeon today and he removed my bandages. I thank God I only have the glue no stitches or staples. Right now I am going to purchase a pair of black maternity pants because I can't fasten my jeans. LOL. I am just hanging around eating puree and really trying hard to get all my Protein in. I am not hungry so it is a chore to eat. Haven't weighed in yet so not sure of my progress. I will keep u guys posted. Love you all.

I have been reading about how everyone gets around 1.5 cc for the first fill , well my Dr wants to put in 5 cc / 6 cc on the first fill ... doesnt that seem a like a little much , anyone else have so much placed at one time ? I have a 11cc vangaurd band

prissever, from what I've seen on the boards, that may not be as bad as you are thinking. Since your band holds more.

Most people who are describing the 1.5cc fills, only have a band that holds 4cc.

Hope this helps. I believe someone else brought it up before somewhere else on this site. You may want to do a search on it.

Hello everyone! Well, it is finally behind me. I am with my band. I went into the hospitl @7:30 am, I was taken to the OR @ about 9:15 and was in recovery around 11:00. I didn't get up to my room til around 2:00 though. I guess the floor had some late discharges. Anyway, I was doing well til midnight. I received Morphine for pain and after 20 minutes, I broke out in a rash from head to toe. I was so itchy and uncomfortable and even a little nauseous. Needless to say I was up all night. I went home @ noon and am doing OK- just very sore mainly in my upper abdomen. I've had some H2O and ice chips, a cup of broth and a few sips of Decaf tea. I am so full. I think that the fluids have contributed to the gas, but all in all not bad(for now anyway). I just wanted everyone to know that I am doing well and am on the road to recovery. I'll talk to you guys tomorrow. I need to go for a walk. Thank you to everyone for all the good wishes-Gigi

To everyone who feel they have no restriction:

I was banded on the 15th. Felt a lot of restriction at first, then real hunger on the 5th day. Fought to stay on the 1000 calorie diet, but thought I did not have any restriction. Well,

Today is my 31st wedding anniversary.:clap2: So we went into the city (AKA NYC to tourists) and saw a show (The Drowsy Chaperone, which was a lot of fun) and then stopped for dinner at a restaurant that we have not been to in years. Since I hadn't had lunch and thought I did not have any restriction, I ordered like my old self. I had one glass of wine when we sat down, ordered a second when the salads were delivered. I ate almost all of the salad and then my entree was delivered. I was only able to eat two of the chicken chunks and I burped and got the feeling that nothing else was going to fit in. I have enough left overs for 3 more meals of the same size, not to mention the mashed potatoes, which I did not even touch.

Lessons learned: 1. I do have restriction, even if it is not as much as I would like. 2. Now it is evening, I am full, and because I skipped lunch I have not had enough Protein today. I should never skip a meal. 3. There is a reason that the nutritionist says to eat your protein before anything else. I filled up on vegetables and then could not eat my protein.

As the Pennsylvania Dutch say: Too soon old, too late smart.:biggrin1:

:) Hello everyone! hope all is well...To all those who have been banded in the past few days..WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!! I hope your new journey is well under way and with no "Big" problems...For those of you who have kept us going thank you for the support, the well wishes and the understanding...As for my surgery experience....I was scheduled fro 2:30pm on the 26th, the MD was ahead of scheduled so they called me to come in at 12pm. They did my IV, gave a shot in my belly (blood thinner) and a cool patch behind my left ear for nausea (boy did that help!!!) Anesthesisa cam and talked to us, the doctor came and talk to us and marked my belly with his zorro pen..lol...and then the good stuff came...anesthesia came back, and shot me up with giggle juice...(I couldn' t stop laughing...) rolled me into the or...and 1 hour later I was in recovery...They fed me APPLE JUICE!!! Needless to say my MD was very upset!!!! and so wasn't my stomach...but, in the end, it was all ok.. Now I had to stay overnight because my oxygen level took it's time to come back up...but it was better that way.. I felt safer at the Hospital..just in case...I came home saturday at 10am..and that's when the gas hit!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!:faint: I have NEVER been in such pain..and i've had 2 c-sections!!!!!!!! HOLY SMOKES!!!! I was in tears for 3 days..no gas x helped, no petho position helped, no walking helped...NOTHING!!!!!! I'm into my 5th day and thank GOD I'ts MUCH BEtter....Still there...but much better!!! So, Protein drinks make me nauseaus.....I drink Carnation instant Breakfast because it's the only thing that will stay down...and my broths, crystal light and water....but NO Atkins or EAS drinks:eek: :) !!! YUCK!!!!!!!!! I will be able to eat yogurt and runny foods on saturday...I CAN"T WAIT!!! I haven't had any issues with my incisions..They are sore, but noting to talk about (as you can tell) my port is right above my belly button on the right side...So...It has not been easy...but it's getting better day by day. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers...Mines are with you all as well..:clap2: .Keep up the hard work because as we all know this is not as easy as people might think!! Love ya guys!!!!! God bless!!! ~:kiss2: ~Olga:)

I am so glad to hear all went well. I'd say the gas was the worst for me too. The heating pad helped me too. Also massaging my tummy to push out the gas. One tip someone told me about the Carnation Good Start is they would put it in a water bottle with a big opening and put it in the freezer for a few hours and drink it like a smoothie. I tried it and it was good.

Try creamy split pea Soup too and creamy chicken. Jello, V8 too

HI family just an update.

First of all, good to read everyone's success. I met with my surgeon today and he removed my bandages. I thank God I only have the glue no stitches or staples. Right now I am going to purchase a pair of black maternity pants because I can't fasten my jeans. LOL. I am just hanging around eating puree and really trying hard to get all my Protein in. I am not hungry so it is a chore to eat. Haven't weighed in yet so not sure of my progress. I will keep u guys posted. Love you all.

I had the glue too and I like the results better than the alternative. Don't forget your water/crystal light!!

Hello everyone! Well, it is finally behind me. I am with my band. I went into the hospitl @7:30 am, I was taken to the OR @ about 9:15 and was in recovery around 11:00. I didn't get up to my room til around 2:00 though. I guess the floor had some late discharges. Anyway, I was doing well til midnight. I received Morphine for pain and after 20 minutes, I broke out in a rash from head to toe. I was so itchy and uncomfortable and even a little nauseous. Needless to say I was up all night. I went home @ noon and am doing OK- just very sore mainly in my upper abdomen. I've had some H2O and ice chips, a cup of broth and a few sips of Decaf tea. I am so full. I think that the fluids have contributed to the gas, but all in all not bad(for now anyway). I just wanted everyone to know that I am doing well and am on the road to recovery. I'll talk to you guys tomorrow. I need to go for a walk. Thank you to everyone for all the good wishes-Gigi

Sounds great! Glad you are doing well.

To everyone who feel they have no restriction:

I was banded on the 15th. Felt a lot of restriction at first, then real hunger on the 5th day. Fought to stay on the 1000 calorie diet, but thought I did not have any restriction. Well,

Today is my 31st wedding anniversary.:clap2: So we went into the city (AKA NYC to tourists) and saw a show (The Drowsy Chaperone, which was a lot of fun) and then stopped for dinner at a restaurant that we have not been to in years. Since I hadn't had lunch and thought I did not have any restriction, I ordered like my old self. I had one glass of wine when we sat down, ordered a second when the salads were delivered. I ate almost all of the salad and then my entree was delivered. I was only able to eat two of the chicken chunks and I burped and got the feeling that nothing else was going to fit in. I have enough left overs for 3 more meals of the same size, not to mention the mashed potatoes, which I did not even touch.

Lessons learned: 1. I do have restriction, even if it is not as much as I would like. 2. Now it is evening, I am full, and because I skipped lunch I have not had enough Protein today. I should never skip a meal. 3. There is a reason that the nutritionist says to eat your protein before anything else. I filled up on vegetables and then could not eat my protein.

As the Pennsylvania Dutch say: Too soon old, too late smart.:biggrin1:

Thanks for sharing!! Even if I am not hungry I eat 3 meals and 2 protein Snacks. If I don't I don't get enough calories or protein.

Live and learn. And thanks for letting us learn from you!:clap2: