Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you ever..

Not recognize yourself? This may sound paranoid and honestly at the time it was, but here it is. I was shopping and kept noticing this person's reflection in windows and the occasional mirror out of the corner of my eye. And finally I thought myself..well I have had enough of this follow me so I whipped around and guess who was there..the reflection of myself . So I had been all freaked out because apparently I was following myself ..didn't even recognized own image...weird I know..but now when people don't recognize I get it. So remember..if you think someone is following you, just turn around it probably is your own shadow! LoL

I'm still surprised when I sit in a chair and there is space on either side of my butt. Like, "Wow, they're finally smarting up and making chairs bigger!" duhhh

Oh yeah, that happens all the time when I do a side glance at my reflection....I sometimes have to stop and look...that's really me...

After almost a year at goal, I am still surprised to see my reflection at a distance. Up close, I'm used to the new me, but put 12-15 feet or more between me and the reflection and I'm still like: who's that? My clothes also still look too small when I look at them.

Lynda

This happened to me when I was walking down my hallway. I have to admit I loved my body. :)

I spent a few months in the phase where I didn't recognize myself, and was constantly surprised at my shadow, my pictures, or how small my clothes looked.

Then, I hit a point where the new me seemed "normal", and all those old pictures of me seemed surreal, and I would wonder who that girl was...

Today, I look at myself in the mirror and actually have the tendency to feel "fat" or "unattractive". Even though I hit a normal BMI several months ago and have maintained that weight between 5 pounds up or down, I'm constantly terrified that I will slip up and gain it back. I don't want to go back to that old me that I no longer recognize, but I still have difficulties accepting the current me.

It's so odd to feel like a stranger in my own body!

Not recognize yourself? This may sound paranoid and honestly at the time it was' date=' but here it is. I was shopping and kept noticing this person's reflection in windows and the occasional mirror out of the corner of my eye. And finally I thought myself..well I have had enough of this follow me so I whipped around and guess who was there..the reflection of myself . So I had been all freaked out because apparently I was following myself ..didn't even recognized own image...weird I know..but now when people don't recognize I get it. So remember..if you think someone is following you, just turn around it probably is your own shadow! LoL[/quote']

Yes! Yes! And yes!! lol

I still can't believe it's me.

I had given up all hope before my surgery and now I'm trying to grasp that I've done it.

It's crazy see our selves in the mirror.

What makes me smile' date=' is when people you know don't reconize you![/quote']

My best friend since childhood passed me in the aisle at the grocery store and never took a second glance lol I just kept going and told her later. We both laughed. She isn't use to the new me either, she only would recognize the old me at a chance encounter

I spent a few months in the phase where I didn't recognize myself, and was constantly surprised at my shadow, my pictures, or how small my clothes looked.

Then, I hit a point where the new me seemed "normal", and all those old pictures of me seemed surreal, and I would wonder who that girl was...

Today, I look at myself in the mirror and actually have the tendency to feel "fat" or "unattractive". Even though I hit a normal BMI several months ago and have maintained that weight between 5 pounds up or down, I'm constantly terrified that I will slip up and gain it back. I don't want to go back to that old me that I no longer recognize, but I still have difficulties accepting the current me.

This is more me too! I look at old pictures of myself and can hardly believe that it is me. But I am also having a hard time accepting this new body. I have a lot of loose skin, especially on my stomach, and it really bothers me and makes me feel as though I am still fat. And I have a really hard time accepting people who comment about how small I am ( I had someone who did not know me before comment about how tiny I am and that I must work out all the time to keep my figure!). I have literally live my entire life being big, so my brain just can not seem to accept the image in the mirror as most days I feel so big. I kept a pair of my biggest pants, so on days that I am feeling down, I will grab them and put them on to real see how far I have come. It helps!

I have side by side pictures hung up where i see it daily - the current me and the former me. Whenever I feel discouraged about being imperfect (excess skin!) I look at those photos and it reminds me that I AM perfect...hahaha What I really mean is that I look great and to stop picking on myself!

I think it is so important to develop a certain love, acceptance, comfortableness with the new body... imperfections and all. Normal healthy women do that and i aspire to join that club.

I do plan to have that Tummy Tuck etc but I am working hard on loving me just the way I am too which is a little bit of a head trip. Like most of you, i too have sometimes struggled with recognizing me too!

I carried alot of weight in not just my abs but my whole upper body. Built like a female linebacker i guess. Anyway, I don't look like that now and of all the things that confuses my little brain is my shoulders/upper body profile... I look feminine and not like a guy. Several months ago a friend pointed out that I need to stick that chest out and throw those shoulders back.... she was right I was hunching up trying to be smaller in the shoulders. Now, I feel like I am a normal, but athletic build looking woman. I love my "broad" shoulders and display my shoulders and upper chest proudly as an asset not the part to hide.

Anyway, it is quite the journey isn't it!?!

It has freaked me out whenever I haven't seen a good friend in a while and they don't recognize me! Otherwise, YES I still have issues with seeing that as me in the mirror. I still see the fat me. I picked up a very tiny dress this weekend (I never wore dresses before... hello thigh rub anyone????) but I did it on purpose. I looked at that dress and told my hubs, this dress is so tiny. I used to always tell my hubs that I was built like a defensive lineman (broad shoulders kept me out of being a brides maid before - I just was too big to fit the dress). So I totally understand!!!

But guess what? This past weekend I said wow this dress is so tiny - It cannot fit. Not on me! And it did, like a glove. What the ....?

It is QUITE a journey.

Oh btw, I bought three dresses that weekend. One with beading at the shoulders, sleeveless, a cut out back and a slinky front. Now where in hades do I think I'm going IDK! LOL You only live once that I know of for sure... now it's up to hubs to figure out a good weekend/where to wear that dress!

Yes QUITE the journey!

Puja... I worry about "what if I gain all my weight back"... but the dr. that leads my WLS group, I told him that fear. Wanna hear a great point? Yes I have lost and gained. Yes it's always come back before. But never did I have a sleeve. This time it IS different.

Remember that y'all! (and forgive yourself if you slip. make it minor and get right back 'on the wagon'.... just don't allow it to be a complete collapse or a relapse... or so i pray to have the strength to avoid those!)

I am still not used to seeing the "new" me when I look in the mirror.