Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FEBRUARY SLEEVERS 2013....how you doing after you've been Sleeved

Well I had my surgery on February 20, 2013. Surgery was a great success, woke up in minimal pain. Used my handy little pump whenever I felt discomfort. Couldn't sleep in the hospital due to being checked on and woken every hour. I was discharged the following day and have tolerated Water and broth quite well. This morning I woke up and made my Protein Shake first thing to get down and started drinking water. Little bit of soreness but hardly worth taking pain medicine for. Took my Multivitamin and B-12, B-1 and antacid the Doctor prescribed. Now I am doing a bit of walking around the house. I love my sleeve and am so thankful I have no complaints! :wub: oh and btw, I have not had any insulin since yesterday morning 2 units and that's all. I was taking 100 units of insulin per day 50 in the am and 50 in the pm previous to my surgery. I am praying that this is an end to my diabetes, any one else out there like this?

That is wonderful about the insulin! I'm not diabetic, but I am a medical writer/editor, and I have written articles on studies that have found this very phenomenon. It's theorized that some of this effect is based on changed beta cell activity after surgery. It will only get better as you continue to lose weight. What a great thing you are doing for your long-term health, given the increased health risks that come with type 2 diabetes. Congratulations!

Hint the nurse gave me. When you feel nauseous open an alcohol swab and put it under your nose. I was amazed, within seconds it started working.

oh i have to remember that one! Thanks!!

Sounds like all us Fab Feb Sleevers are doing fairly well, small (expected?) issues aside.

I'm Type 2 diabetic but wasn't on insulin only met or in, which was actually prescribed for my PCOS. The diabetes was diet and lifestyle controlled, so only changes in that!

I just had a question for any sleevers with obstructive sleep apnea: did your surgeon not allow you to use your cpap machine for a period of time AFTER you'd been sleeved?

I was told by the hospital pre-admissions to be sure to bring my machine because they'd put me in it before taking me back to my room after surgery. But they didn't. And then my surgeon said he didn't want me using it because it would "blow up" my sleeve creating a lot of pressure in a small space. Ok, fair enough, but........my OSA is CHRONIC, like really really bad, and I got zero sleep in hospital. And the nursing staff - I'm sorry but I can not be the first patient you've ever had with OSA. How can you not understand that sticking nasal canulas or a full o2 mask on me is of no help at all if I can't actually get the o2 IN? I can't breath through my nose at the best of times (structural issue, needs correcting) and with the OSA, well, that just goes without saying.

So there I am possibly having drifted into a semi-state of consciousness, and the nurse would come in the middle of the night to check vitals. She sees my pulse ox count is way low, and would shake me awake and ask me to take a lot of deep breathes, while she organized the oxygen. I'd let them stick it on me, they'd come back later, repeat the whole process and ask if I'd been taking it off......because pulse ox was still as low as before! Well DUH!!! I'd try to explain why the oxygen wasn't helping but nobody would have a bar of it. They would turn up the u2 pressure or say 'well it can't hurt'c. No, but it's not much help either. For someone with OSA it's like holding us under Water but expecting us to be able to breath because youre pushing air bubbles through the water. I can't fault the nursing staff on anything, they were as attentive as I could have asked for, but I don't get that none of them seemed to know anything about sleep apnea.

Anyway, on discharge my surgeon said "no cpap until you see me on Monday, and then we'll talk about when you can start using it again." Because apparently my ability to breath while sleeping is an option!

I've had probably a cumulative total of 10 hours of actual sleep since being admitted to hospital on 18th. I'm EXHAUSTED. And irritated. And punchy. Near to tears with fatigue, and my patience has snapped more than not. I have a headache I can't seem to knock, despite regular Panadol and being DEFINITELY hydrated. My brain function is poor, and........I note that my heartbeat is having a lot of irregular beats......eerily like those I had for years before getting my cpap machine.

Anybody else encountered this kind of directive? How did you cope without your machine? At this stage I'm "sleeping" by propping up almost vertically against the headboard. This is fine for a while, but eventually my bum and back start to hurt. I can only hope that my surgeon realizes that I NEED that machine. Hopefully, I will not need it in the future (would happily give it up, if I could) but it's a necessity right now.

Aside from this I'm having no adverse problems with my sleeve and do not have any regrets.

I really appreciate all of you guys sharing your stories- I'm going in next week Thursday to get mine done, and I feel like I'm more prepared- knowing the good outcomes have clamed me a bit- and hearing some of the complications has me more prepared for what could be an outcome. I hope all of you are recovering well, and keeping the rest of you fellow future-sleevers in my thoughts as well! <3

So glad for this forum!!

I was sleeved on February 4' date=' 2013 and I am doing pretty good, if i say so myself. I about 3 weeks post surgery and I don't have any huge complaints. My presurgery weight was 417lbs and 1 week post my first doctor's visit I am 382lbs. I've lost about 35lbs...yay!!! I was so happy when I got on the scale because I haven't been under 400lbs in over 3 years. So if anyone asked me if I have any regrets about getting the sleeve...the answer would be a huge resounding NO!!!! I feel like I have a fresh start and thats just plain wonderful!!!

I have 6 weeks off of work, so I gave myself a whole lot of time to recover (I do alot of walking at work and I wanted to be sure I was able to do that). I probably won't need the whole 6 weeks, but I'm glad to have it anyway.

I haven't had much pain since I've come home. I have some pressure when I over

-do-it, but other than that...It's all good. Like most others, I'm pretty tired of the liquid diet and tired of eating broth....but it' could be much worse :) . I'm not big on sweets (I never really was) so the sweet Protein Shakes are becoming a bit tiresom. I can't get the whole thing down, I've been sipping on one shake for 3 days. But I'm definitly working one it. Trying to get my walking in as much as possible.

So glad for this forum and anyone who could provide any helpful advice about anything...I'm open!

Thanks!!![/quote']

I thought it was just me with the sweetness. I started adding nonfat milk and it seems to help get rid of the sweetness.

5 days post op and down 19 lbs since my surgery! I . Can't. Believe. It. I couldn't drop 19 lbs in a year and I just did it in less thAn a week.. Crazy! I'm battling head hunger, and I think some true physical hunger. Will Prilosec help that?

And then my surgeon said he didn't want me using it because it would "blow up" my sleeve creating a lot of pressure in a small space.

I am not a medical professional, but I do consider myself a reasonable person with common sense. That being said...

I have never heard of "blowing up" ones sleeve with the CPAP. I wore mine in the hospital and then at home. I know people can swallow air, but we inhale air (and exhale) ALL THE TIME and the CPAP is to keep those airways open! Can't imagine that much air would even travel as far as your stomach because your airways are directing to your lungs.

No problems...everything is looking good...trying to get in as many liquids as I can...slowly of corse

Ready to go home. Thank each one of y'all for the communications....and answered questions.(:

5 days post op and down 19 lbs since my surgery! I . Can't. Believe. It. I couldn't drop 19 lbs in a year and I just did it in less thAn a week.. Crazy! I'm battling head hunger' date=' and I think some true physical hunger. Will Prilosec help that?[/quote']

I'm sorry I don't have an answer to your question but head hunger is really bugging me as of the last few days. So I can def relate. Going on almost a month of liquids and starting to go a little batty!

I'm grateful for my sleeve...I'm grateful for my sleeve...

I was born and raised into a family of iced tea guzzlers. I could down about a gallon and a half a day or more. I haven't had any iced tea post op' date=' but I can tell you it's not a huge deal for me. I'm drinking a little more than 64 oz of Water, crystal light, and herbal tea per day and I'm perfectly fine with it.

This was one of my biggest fears about a VSG too. Dropping 150 pounds and becoming healthy somehow makes the tea guzzling thing seem silly.[/quote']

Lol.. I think I had sweet tea in my bottle. I'm not sleeved yet but I have switched to unsweetened tea and use sweet low

I had mg sleeve Wed and have been working on getting liquids in. I've had no hunger at all yet.

I was on a CPAP for almost five years. I spent the last few months before I got my machine sleeping sitting up in the bathtub. I had all the symptoms you talk about. I had headaches everyday, was foggy headed and eventually, I started falling asleep anytime I sat down. Including at work. I am 18 days out and as of day 8, I no longer need the machine.

They did have me bring my machine to the hospital and they had me use it there and when I went home. No one ever mentioned any danger and I had no Ill effects from the 8 days I used it. Good luck with this. I feel for you because I know how bad it can be.

Sounds like all us Fab Feb Sleevers are doing fairly well, small (expected?) issues aside.

I'm Type 2 diabetic but wasn't on insulin only met or in, which was actually prescribed for my PCOS. The diabetes was diet and lifestyle controlled, so only changes in that!

I just had a question for any sleevers with obstructive sleep apnea: did your surgeon not allow you to use your cpap machine for a period of time AFTER you'd been sleeved?

I was told by the hospital pre-admissions to be sure to bring my machine because they'd put me in it before taking me back to my room after surgery. But they didn't. And then my surgeon said he didn't want me using it because it would "blow up" my sleeve creating a lot of pressure in a small space. Ok, fair enough, but........my OSA is CHRONIC, like really really bad, and I got zero sleep in hospital. And the nursing staff - I'm sorry but I can not be the first patient you've ever had with OSA. How can you not understand that sticking nasal canulas or a full o2 mask on me is of no help at all if I can't actually get the o2 IN? I can't breath through my nose at the best of times (structural issue, needs correcting) and with the OSA, well, that just goes without saying.

So there I am possibly having drifted into a semi-state of consciousness, and the nurse would come in the middle of the night to check vitals. She sees my pulse ox count is way low, and would shake me awake and ask me to take a lot of deep breathes, while she organized the oxygen. I'd let them stick it on me, they'd come back later, repeat the whole process and ask if I'd been taking it off......because pulse ox was still as low as before! Well DUH!!! I'd try to explain why the oxygen wasn't helping but nobody would have a bar of it. They would turn up the u2 pressure or say 'well it can't hurt'c. No, but it's not much help either. For someone with OSA it's like holding us under Water but expecting us to be able to breath because youre pushing air bubbles through the Water. I can't fault the nursing staff on anything, they were as attentive as I could have asked for, but I don't get that none of them seemed to know anything about sleep apnea.

Anyway, on discharge my surgeon said "no cpap until you see me on Monday, and then we'll talk about when you can start using it again." Because apparently my ability to breath while sleeping is an option!

I've had probably a cumulative total of 10 hours of actual sleep since being admitted to hospital on 18th. I'm EXHAUSTED. And irritated. And punchy. Near to tears with fatigue, and my patience has snapped more than not. I have a headache I can't seem to knock, despite regular Panadol and being DEFINITELY hydrated. My brain function is poor, and........I note that my heartbeat is having a lot of irregular beats......eerily like those I had for years before getting my cpap machine.

Anybody else encountered this kind of directive? How did you cope without your machine? At this stage I'm "sleeping" by propping up almost vertically against the headboard. This is fine for a while, but eventually my bum and back start to hurt. I can only hope that my surgeon realizes that I NEED that machine. Hopefully, I will not need it in the future (would happily give it up, if I could) but it's a necessity right now.

Aside from this I'm having no adverse problems with my sleeve and do not have any regrets.

I hate when I piss my sleeve off. I've noticed she is very temperamental about certain things. I ordered the raspberry Calcium chews today. I hope they are worth it. My boss loves them. Hopefully my sassy frass sleeve will tolerate them.

Lol... I get my sleeve next Thursday on the 28th. Maybe I'll name it too!

That is wonderful about the insulin! I'm not diabetic, but I am a medical writer/editor, and I have written articles on studies that have found this very phenomenon. It's theorized that some of this effect is based on changed beta cell activity after surgery. It will only get better as you continue to lose weight. What a great thing you are doing for your long-term health, given the increased health risks that come with type 2 diabetes. Congratulations!

I can hardly believe this is happening to me after being a diabetic for 13 years and now it may be gone the thought is mind boggeling!

I had some eggs for breakfast and chicken tortilla Soup from one of my fave restaurants today. All was good and I'm just taking my time eating. Still getting fluids in and resting at home. Too cold to venture out, so I'm working out, doing some light housework indoors. Still feeling better each day! :)