Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating large amounts vs. Eating unhealthy

Ok so I will be submitting all of my pre-authorizations to the insurance company on Monday. I am starting to have serious doubts if this is the correct path for me. I guess it's just nervousness. My question is, I am not an overeater (i know it sounds like denial hahaha). What I choose to eat is bad and I tend to drink a lot of calories. I don't think I have any deep rooted food issues. Most people are actually supised at my weight when they see what and how much I eat. They think I should be smaller. I have been to the Dr. about this many times, but they look at me like I am in denial. I know many people who have the sleeve are overeaters so it does help with restriction. However, what about the people whose problem is not quantity but quality?? Are there successful stories for those people as well?

I know I am 100% committed to changing my diet. The Psychologist actually thinks I will do very well with surgery.

What other plans have you tried before seeking surgery. Have you lost only to gain again? Myself, I have lost and regained lots of times. I overeat sometimes, choose the wrong foods too. If you are choosing the wrong foods all the time and gaining, you may be an emotional eater. Usually choose creamy or sweets and carby foods. Doesn't have to be overeating exactly. But if during the day you are taking in losts of sweets and carbs it is going to add up. My understanding is that for many this surgery cuts the hunger and carb cravings. I am praying that is the case. Bottom line is it has to be your choice. I wish you luck in making the right decision.

I think for me it too was what I ate.. but you know what.. my stomach does not like that food anymore.. chili hurts my stomach.. so Im gonna guess that other greasy not so good foods will do that too.. Im not taking the chance to hurt my stomach.. and you will learn too that your tastes will change.. things I liked before.. I can no longer tolerate.. I do however tolerate the good stuff.. Proteins are great.. Ive done very well with the sleeve.. I gave up soda and my beloved mineral water.. which I dont miss really... I suddenly love water.. bottled water.. gotta have it all the time now.. so things will change for you.. but you are the one who has to make those choices.. not the sleeve.. I dont get hungry.. I dont crave any foods.. actually I really dont have a taste for many foods at all..but I know I have to eat and get in my protein.. the only thing I found difficult.. is shopping.. I have particular tastes.. so finding things to make me happy lol... and be an avid label reader... my hubby and I shop together and we look at other peoples carts and go.. OMG how can that eat that junk.. so my view about foods have changed..and so will yours.. with the help of your nut and dr... follow what they are telling you.. stick to the diets they provide..and you will do fantastic.. im just about 2 months out and have lost almost 50lbs... you will be great.. there are great things to come in your future.. mostly a new you and new attitude about food and yourself..and best of all........SHOPPING FOR NEW CLOTHES... YAY. best of luck to you

Thank you Granny, I am not an emotional eater. I am more of a convience eater (a.k.a Lazy). You name it I have tried it in regards to loosing weight. Even went as far as being Vegan and on weight watchers at the same time. :blink:

I was the same way. Not a big eater, I actually was doing good to get in 1000 cals a day on average. But from time to time I'd go through periods of eating absolute crap, at night, IN BED. And then go to sleep. After awhile that does some serious damage. Now I eat very small portions, mostly Protein cause it's honestly all that I want.

When I saw my surgeon, he said my journey should be relatively simple. I was not suffering from any diseases and aside from binge eating, no disorders. No comorbidities, I was not being medicated for any issue. I was just fat. He said he wished all of his patients were that healthy. ALL I have to do is eat well and move my behind.

I can personally say from speaking and this is my personal experience. I didn't realize how overweight I was until I wasn't overweight anymore (I still got 40-50 pounds to get to goal) but now I am in normal sized. I didn't realize how bad or how much I ate until I didn't eat that way anymore. I didn't realize how much being overweight dominated my life until it didn't. It's normal to feel nervous and get cold feet so to speak, it is normal. I would submit the paperwork and during that time do a honest self assessment/ evaluation and if you don't think you need it then you don't have to go through with it. If you do choose to have it the. Nothing was lost because you got the ball rolling. In other words most of us get scared and nervous, it's normal, you shouldn't let a few moment of nerves determine your future health. Good luck to you, in whichever path you choose. Just in case you need some inspiration I'm attaching some before and after pics.

post-23047-13813662950415_thumb.jpg

post-23047-1381366295095_thumb.jpg

post-23047-13813662951444_thumb.jpg

post-23047-13813662952176_thumb.jpg

I think for me it too was what I ate.. but you know what.. my stomach does not like that food anymore.. chili hurts my stomach.. so Im gonna guess that other greasy not so good foods will do that too.. Im not taking the chance to hurt my stomach.. and you will learn too that your tastes will change.. things I liked before.. I can no longer tolerate.. I do however tolerate the good stuff.. Proteins are great.. Ive done very well with the sleeve.. I gave up soda and my beloved mineral Water.. which I dont miss really... I suddenly love water.. bottled water.. gotta have it all the time now.. so things will change for you.. but you are the one who has to make those choices.. not the sleeve.. I dont get hungry.. I dont crave any foods.. actually I really dont have a taste for many foods at all..but I know I have to eat and get in my Protein.. the only thing I found difficult.. is shopping.. I have particular tastes.. so finding things to make me happy lol... and be an avid label reader... my hubby and I shop together and we look at other peoples carts and go.. OMG how can that eat that junk.. so my view about foods have changed..and so will yours.. with the help of your nut and dr... follow what they are telling you.. stick to the diets they provide..and you will do fantastic.. im just about 2 months out and have lost almost 50lbs... you will be great.. there are great things to come in your future.. mostly a new you and new attitude about food and yourself..and best of all........SHOPPING FOR NEW CLOTHES... YAY. best of luck to you

Wow thank you so much Nancy!!! This is exactly what I have been waiting to hear.

Ok so I will be submitting all of my pre-authorizations to the insurance company on Monday. I am starting to have serious doubts if this is the correct path for me. I guess it's just nervousness. My question is, I am not an overeater (i know it sounds like denial hahaha). What I choose to eat is bad and I tend to drink a lot of calories. I don't think I have any deep rooted food issues. Most people are actually supised at my weight when they see what and how much I eat. They think I should be smaller. I have been to the Dr. about this many times, but they look at me like I am in denial. I know many people who have the sleeve are overeaters so it does help with restriction. However, what about the people whose problem is not quantity but quality?? Are there successful stories for those people as well?

I know I am 100% committed to changing my diet. The Psychologist actually thinks I will do very well with surgery.

Have you used a food tracker like Myfitnesspal? Maybe if you tracked your daily eating for a week or so, you would see how much you actually ate. Is it as little as you think? Does what you are eating, have a lot more fat / carbs than you thought you were actually eating...

Just a thought...

I can personally say from speaking and this is my personal experience. I didn't realize how overweight I was until I wasn't overweight anymore (I still got 40-50 pounds to get to goal) but now I am in normal sized. I didn't realize how bad or how much I ate until I didn't eat that way anymore. I didn't realize how much being overweight dominated my life until it didn't. It's normal to feel nervous and get cold feet so to speak, it is normal. I would submit the paperwork and during that time do a honest self assessment/ evaluation and if you don't think you need it then you don't have to go through with it. If you do choose to have it the. Nothing was lost because you got the ball rolling. In other words most of us get scared and nervous, it's normal, you shouldn't let a few moment of nerves determine your future health. Good luck to you, in whichever path you choose. Just in case you need some inspiration I'm attaching some before and after pics.

Thank you!!!

Feelsme2, I have not tried myfitness pal yet (even thought the app is on my ipad). I am sure my calorie intake is quite high. I drink a lot of my calories, and I know I do not choose the healthiest options.

A lot of successful sleevers got to WLS for the same reason as you describe. You may though want to do a search on "slider" foods. Slider foods sound a lot like what you are eating now, highly processed convienence foods. Many sleevers have no problem eating slider foods several months after surgery. Slider foods are called that since they do not cause the same restriction as healthy food choices. Overall. I'm a volume eater who at times also sometimes makes bad food choices. That's why I choose the sleeve, it will in the beginning limit my ability to do either and hopefully help me learn new lifestyle habits. There are healthy no cook or low cook choices like precooked chicken breasts, etc and in the end that's what our success comes down to, our choices. Best of luck in you journey.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Obesity is not a one size fits all and neither is the sleeve. It helps to know that some people might have the same issues with food as i do.

Love, I did not have any eating issues (ie emotional, etc) I was just like you, snacked a lot and on high carb crap. I also did not eat huge amounts, never have, but I could eat more than I can now. I used to go out a few times a week and we'd likely share an appetizer, have a small salad, which I might eat half of, have a meal, which I normally didn't finish but ate 2/3 of and often had a bite or two of dessert, oh did I mention with wine? For each course? Ya, I drank calories too :) Good calories LOL I like wine :P

When DH is out of town (our main home cook) I ate cheese and crackers, premade meals, etc. Highly processed. I also ate MacDonalds on occasion, maybe half a fries and a small burger or fish sandwich with a diet soda, not seven of them, :) But those calories really add up!

So after the sleeve I have to say, those foods have zero interest for me, and while volume wasn't a huge issue, volume goes down significantly anyhoo after surgery. I'm four months out and only eat half a cup of food at a time MAX! Processed foods sit on my tummy like a horrible rock and while I can drink wine, I can't drink as much as I used to because I drink much slower so from three glasses at a meal/social event is down to one, maybe two (I don't get drunk easily like many do though...that varies). I couldn't drink a high fat latte if my life depended on it and sugar is uncomfortable. I can eat perhaps a tablespoon of icecream or a bite of a dessert, never a whole one. So the surgery does change how you eat and what you eat.

As I progress further out I do find that now is the time to watch myself. I was eating beef Jerky as a quick Protein on the go, but it goes down too easily and I tend to want to nibble on it all day, which is a habit I won't pick back up so I've gotten into measuring it and eating it all at a "meal" verses a bite here and there. I do monitor every bite on MFP and while I do eat and drink mostly what I want, I make sure it fits in my daily goals, so you do have to do some work as well :) Mindset changes as you mentioned.

So all of the above said, the surgery will likely help you out, and I think it's easier for those of us who don't eat huge amounts because we tend not to push the sleeve causing vomiting and sliming which I never have. But, I also had major complications and nearly died having this surgery not to mention half a mill in medical bills for an elective surgery, so I personally don't recommend it if you don't have comorbidity issues and you could do anything else to change your life. I shouldn't have had it but you can't turn back the clock so here I sit. Just my opinion :) Best of luck whatever you do!

Thank you Iggy, I value your opinion a lot, so thanks again! This is somthing I have been researching for a year and a half. I think to have doubt is normal. Anything that requires this type of risk needs to be looked at from all angles.

Thanks again!