Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm in the "What have I done" phase. HELP!

I was sleeved on Monday the 10th at 10:00 a.m. and everything seems to be on track for my recovery. I did my walking in the hospital and sipped as much Water as I could, but still couldn't get much down at all. I was discharged the following day at about 9:00. I've been doing laps at my house, but the pains in my stomach are making it difficult to keep hardly anything down. I was able to get a Protein Shake down this morning a little broth this afternoon, but between the meds, broth, and shake I can't seem to get hardly any water in. They said I would feel miserable for the first several days, but I "thought" that was only for those who didn't follow orders. I've had a lot of phlem (yes TMI) and coughing to express it feels like daggers in my stomach. I really am questioning whether I did the right thing by having this surgery. I scheduled to go back to work on Monday and am having difficulty in seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I'd love to hear some of you experiences with this in the first few days of post op. As hard as I want to put a big smile on right now and provide encouragement to others I am in the middle of my own pitty party. Thank you for any advice you can give.

That was a really quick stay. I was in the hospital for 2 nights and was very thankful for my Morphine drip.... Actually this is time to be focusing on your Water intake so you don't get dehydrated. :) Protein can wait.

I too had thoughts of "what did I do to myself?" but quickly reframed to "I want to be thin and healthy and enjoy my life... :)

Hey chick, I was depressed for about 3 weeks post op!!! Could eat properly, and was still fat!!! Getting up & down was a pain and I was a moody cow!!! I'm just pass 7 weeks out now and down 40lbs!!! Feel great, there is light at the end of the tunnel!!! Take each day at a time!! Xx

firstly id like to congratulate you on your sleeve.... as far as "what have i done " i went through the same thing .. everything was great until i became ill at two weeks i was always sick & vomiting i did not get anything down at all for two months what kept me going was ice & iv from the hospital at the ending of being ill sitting in the emergency room with my mom i broke down & wondered now what did i just do to my body & im christian & knew god will bring me thru the pain & see the light ......... it gets better i promise in a few weeks youll see your body changing and the shortly after that realize oh my gosh 60 lbs gonee forever keep positive the best part of this surgery is coming :) you can check out my you tube on my journey & struggle youtube name : skinnycupcake13

Don't worry I was the same wy for about 3 days after surgery. I even asked people " why did I do this?". Trust me day by day it gets better. I'm so happy I got it now :).

Hi there! I really hate to hear that you are doubting your decision????. What kind of work do you do? I was sleeved on 12/5, so I am a week post op today????????????. The first few days were really miserable for me too; however, I stay in the hospital for 2 nights. My dr has me on only Clear Liquids for these 1st 2 weeks, so it had been really easy to keep things down, but it has not been easy to make sure that I am getting enough liquids. I truly understand your pain, as I still don't feel like I could go back to work yet. Just take it easy and give yourself time to heal. I am not sure when I will be going back at this point. It is getting much easier day by day, so I believe that you will feel different in a few days.

You need WATER if you dont get enough WATER it dosen't matter about anything else you will get worse and be at the hospital instead of at work.....WATER.. WATER..WATER...SIP...SIP...SIP... Dont you remeber ready this all the time and everone that ends up back at the ER is because not enough WATER...Best of luck to you...WATER...WATER...WATER...SIP...SIP...SIP...

You need Water if you dont get enough Water it dosen't matter about anything else you will get worse and be at the hospital instead of at work.....WATER.. WATER..WATER...SIP...SIP...SIP... Dont you remeber ready this all the time and everone that ends up back at the ER is because not enough WATER...Best of luck to you...WATER...WATER...WATER...SIP...SIP...SIP...

Lol, at the water. I remember going to a hypnotist about 20 years ago to help me lose weight. I paid 100 bucks to hear him say what you said. Thank God for my sleeve.

I too had the remorse. I vomited every hour the first day and a half. I was sleeved on a Monday and went back to work the next Monday. I wanted to die the first few days. And. I thought "how am I ever going to be able to go back to work on Monday?" But.... I finally started feeling better by Friday/Saturday. Remember that your new stomach is very swollen. It will go down and when it does you will be able to get your Protein in. As everyone has said, keep sipping the Water. Have a Popsicle or hot ginger tea worked well for me. Good Luck! I'm one month out today! I'm also one of those slow losers. :-(. I've only lost 10 lbs. I lost 40 lbs before surgery. So... I'm not too upset, but I'd like to see it start coming off!!!

I absolutely had the same feelings. I also stayed one night in the hospital and was sent home. Misery would accurately describe how I felt the first few days. I got home and tried to eat a popsicle only to vomit it all over myself and the floor. I cried to my husband that only crazy people would voluntarily get 90% of their stomach removed. Buyers remorse was in full effect!

Now I am 5 months out, 80 pounds lighter and it was the best decision I have ever made for myself!

You can absolutely do this!!!!!!!!

I was sleeved Monday as well. The pain is more intense than I imagined it would be. "Buyers remorse" has defiantly crossed my mind. When does the weight loss begin? And can I take gas x?

It does get better, I was miserable from the day of surgery and 3 days after most of it was due to the pain medication they had given me I was getting sick from it and then from the tube in my throat, anesthesia and everything I was coughing and miserable. I was not able to get in Water because it felt like it would get "stuck" so I have been drinking Powerade zero or gatorade since.

You may want to try pedialyte popsicles they were my saving grace.

Tomorrow I will be 5 weeks out and feel a whole bunch better, I still get the moments of what did I do but that happens when a food doesn't agree with me, or I forget to chew enough or drink too much too fast.. but its all a new learning curve.

Keep your head up!!! :)

Thank you all for your kind words an encouragement. From yesterday to today things have improved and I am more positive on my outlook because of you. Although I can't say I feel great yet I can say I feel better than yesterday and for that I deem it a success. I know tomorrow is going to be even better than today. I am going to try to do some more of my Christmas shopping online and keep my thoughts on positive things. I do hope I am able to go back to work on Monday, but if I am not ready I am ok at accepting the fact I may have to delay returing to work. We are all different and heal differently and that is OK! Good luck to you all and thanks so much for your encouragement.

everyone is different in their recovery rate but I think it is safe to say that each day that passes shows improvement.Keep on hanging in there.

Hey there. I was sleeved on the 10th as well and was going through everything you described. I actually just got released tonight and got home 30 minutes ago.

I had severe nausea and when I took my leak test Tuesday morning I failed as the contrast was not leaving my esophagus. Yesterday I got really upset with myself for having this surgery. I think part of it was because I didn't feel good and the other part was in didn't know what was going on with the swelling that I had.

I feel 100% better today and I won't say that it might not ever regret doing this again but take it one day at a time. And deep down I know my days of battling this weight is over.