Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: Talkin 'bout Your Generation!

Talkin 'Bout Your Generation!  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What generation are you?

• The Silent Generation (born 1925-1945)
    • Baby Boomer (born 1946-1964)
    • Generation X (born 1965-1981)
    • Generation Y / Next / "Millennials" (born 1982-2000)

Hey folks. It’s amazing how a site like this brings together people of all ages, cultures, and walks of life. As a diversion to break the monotony of measuring out my liquids and Protein post-op, I thought it would be fun to reminisce about what shaped us all through the years -- not literally (because that would be things like too much bad food and lack of exercise, or having kids LOL!), but from a pop culture standpoint. I’m sure another thread like this is somewhere on these forums but after a quick search I couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for… I think this one is different than the pinned “Who Are You?” thread.

(oh, and please note the generations listed above are loose years and may not be agreed upon by all – just needed some ranges to fit into a poll format. And I know in many other countries these generations are quite different in names and year ranges. This poll was meant for fun and diversion and certainly not intended to insult any person or group.)

I’ll start it off…

I’m a Gen X-er. A child of the 80’s. I watched cartoons like Voltron, Transformers, GI Joe, He-Man, and Thundercats as a kid. TV favorites evolved through the years: Family Ties --> Perfect Strangers --> Saved by the Bell --> Cheers --> Seinfeld --> Entourage --> Curb Your Enthusiasm . And now to the present favs: (The Office/Parks & Rec/How I Met Your Mother/The Big Bang Theory/Louie)

Music influences as a kid/tween: hair Metal (Poison, Whitesnake, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Guns N Roses, Bon Jovi) and also U2

High School: Grunge (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins) and U2

College: Dave Matthews, Rusted Root, Green Day, Weezer, Radiohead… and U2

Young Adulthood-present: Staind, Linkin Park, The White Stripes, The Lonely Island, and of course U2

Defining Movies:

Childhood – Goonies, Stand By Me, Breakfast Club

High School/College – Silence of the Lambs, American Pie, Shawshank Redemption, Austin Powers

Young Adult-Present: pretty much any Todd Phillips, Farrelly Brothers, or Judd Apatow movie

Finally, since I’m quite partial to funny things (as you may or may not have guessed):

The title of funniest comedian alive as it evolved through my eyes went something like this:

Richard Pryor --> Eddie Murphy --> Jerry Seinfeld --> Chris Rock --> Louie CK (current titleholder), although I hold a special place for Gabriel Iglesias since, like me, he's not fat... he's FLUFFY! :P

There’s plenty I’ve left out. Feel free to rant, rave, add your own memories, pop culture, places, people, political/global events, or otherwise. I look forward to reading people’s responses!

Now it’s time to go sip some more protein….

You just described me! Funny, I never thought just belonging to a generation would be so literal...

Well I guess I'm a gen xer as I was born in 78 but grew up in the 80's.

My fav cartoons: Jem and the holograms, the smurfs, rainbow bright and strawberry shortcake, ok yeah and my little pony.

Fav shows: as a kid: small wonder, alf, punky Brewster

As a teen: blossom, saved by the bell, and 90210.

Adult to now: sienfield, 3rd rock from the sun, Buffy the vampire slayer, modern family, and we.

Music: 80's Michael Jackson, Madonna, Cindy lauper, wham, George Michael, prince, and boy George.

Sorry that's as far as I'm willing to type on my phone....what. A great idea

Hey Wolf (hope you are ok with that, call me Happy or whatever works :).

Great diversion thought! I will join...

I too am Gen X, birthday yesterday. :)

A little more Country for me...Donny and Marie, Sonny and Cher, later on watched 90210 and Melrose Place.

Music influence: Alabama, The Judds, and just about every "love song" ranging from Stevie Wonder to Captain and Tonille.

Movies/Actors: d**k Van Dyke, Chitty bang bang (you may be saying really? But, this movie was my inspiration to perform the part where the wife was a doll in a music box...I did this on-stage and WON a beauty pageant as a senior in high school, it changed my entire life!), Julie Andrews, Sound of Music.

That is what I can come up with at my OLD age for now :)

Fun times, so much easier than kids have it today...

My fav cartoons: Jem and the holograms, the smurfs, rainbow bright and strawberry shortcake, ok yeah and my little pony.

LOL...Funny how you mention strawberry shortcake and all I can think of is another thing I cant eat 'cause I'm still on full liquids post-op. And I thought this thread was gonna take my mind off that! Well, at least you didn't mention The Gummy Bears (one of the underrated 80's cartoons and also one of my pre-surgery vices) :P

DISCO!! Jon Travolta. Grease! I didn't watch much TV. :-)

I'll play... I'm from Generation Baby Boomer, born in 1964.

I was raised watching- Lawrence Welk, Hee Haw, Lassie, Beverly Hillbillies, Andy Griffith Show, Flipper, Bozo. Fat Albert, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Captain Kangaroo, Howdy Doody, Archie....

Favorite music- AC/DC, Adam Ant, Mötley Crew, Queen, Journey, Pink Floyd, Blondie, Pat Benatar, Eddie Rabbitt, Joan Jett, John Mellencamp, Billy Joel.

What a great post!!! Brought back many wonderful memories...I could go on & on :)

I sound exactly like the first post but with some hiphop and may all time favorite movie is Topgun! Born '86

Oh, I forgot movies & comedians-

Movies- Monty Python & the Holy Grail, Star Wars, The Godfather, Rocky, Willy Wonka & the chocolate Factory, Mary Poppins.

Comedians- Soupy Sales, Dom DeLuise, John Belushi, John Ritter, Bernie Mac, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, George Burns.

I too am a gen x, but a late child.. born in 1980. So I actually consider myself both a child of the 80's and 90's.

I grew up watching Scooby Do, Thundarcats, My Pretty Pony, Gem, Fraggle Rock, All the puppet shows, You Can't do that On Television, Alf, Small Wonder, Saved by the Bell, Melrose Place, 90210, California Dreams, Dawsons Creek, Wrestling and there many name changes lol. Clarissa Explains it All, Blossom.

Music influences: Devo, Pat Benatar, Blondie, Cyndi Lauper, Paula Abdul, The Bangals, Go Go's, Bananarama, Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna,Phil Collins, Genesis, Aerosmith, The Beastie Boys, Berlin, Billy Idol, Guns-n-Roses, Metallica, Poison, New Kids on the Block, Smashing Pumpkins, Hole, Babes in Toyland, L7, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, The Misfits, Rancid, 311, No Doubt, Garbage, Green Day, The Foo Fighters, B52's, The Presidents of the United States, Betty Blowtorch, Luscious Jackson, White Zombie, Rob Zombie, The Cranberries, Cake, STP, Alanis Morissette, Korn, Oasis, New Rascials,

I could go on and on!! I LOVE music!

Movies: Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the Thriteen, Halloween, Fright Night, The Lost Boys, Dirty Dancing, Splash, Top Gun, Nadia, The Never Ending Story, The Monster Squad, Goonies (of course), Mask, I think every generation should put the Wizard of Oz because face it .. it rocks. The Titanic, Dangerous Minds, An Officer and A Gentleman, Flash Dance, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Empire Records, Scream, Steel Magnolias, Mall Rats,

The Fonz....Bugs Bunny....desert boots....parachute pants....KISS....Commodore 64....Fantasy Island.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

I'm pretty much the Gen-xer too. Born in 1978. However, my parents were kids when they had me so I kind of grew up with them. I loved anything Hanna barbera. Let me add on to the usual 80's subjects with some late 70's. jabba was, huckleberry hound, Josie and the pussycats, old bugs bunny, etc. I'm also an 80's music fan but more so 70's and older. And my favorite musician is Van Morrison. I'm often called an old soul.

Same thing with shows. I grew up watching bonanza repeats, small valley, any movie with John Wayne or Maureen o'hara. But also more recent like anything with Mike Myers, the American Pie movies, etc. but my all time favorite movie is and always will be hair. And the soundtrack too.

I'm kind of an in-betweener. Lol.

This is fun! I'm generation Y. Born in 1989, so I'm a 90's kid. Its funny because when I was growing up I always wanted to have grown up during the 80's but now looking back I loved the 90's (but doesn't everyone love their decade? lol)

90's Nickelodeon was 'the bomb' haha. Snick, Are you Afraid of the dark, Hey Arnold, Rugrats, Legends of the Hidden Temple (I ALWAYS wanted to be on that show. Long live the Purple Parrots!) GUTS, Keenan and Kel, Doug, Ren and Stimpy, The Amanda Show, All that...as you can see I watched too much TV lol.- These days I'm all about True Blood, The Walking Dead, Grimm, American Horror Story (I love scary shows lol) Girls

Music- NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, Britney and Christina- yeah...I know. lol I was all about the typical pop music.

Favorite movies growing up- Hocus Pocus, Halloweentown (And many other Disney TV movies) It takes two, Clueless, She's all that, Legally Blonde (not quite 90's but almost)

Other random memories that bring me back- Furbies, Tomagachi's, I remember everyone a few years older then me had a beeper and I wanted one but was too young lol, Y2K scare- I remeber being a little kid and putting Water in empty soda bottles incase of the crash lol. Goosebumps on Saturday mornings, Lisa Frank school supplies...

I could reminise all day, I miss being a kid!

Hey folks. It’s amazing how a site like this brings together people of all ages' date=' cultures, and walks of life. As a diversion to break the monotony of measuring out my liquids and Protein post-op, I thought it would be fun to reminisce about what shaped us all through the years -- not literally (because that would be things like too much bad food and lack of exercise, or having kids LOL!), but from a pop culture standpoint. I’m sure another thread like this is somewhere on these forums but after a quick search I couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for… I think this one is different than the pinned “Who Are You?” thread.

(oh, and please note the generations listed above are loose years and may not be agreed upon by all – just needed some ranges to fit into a poll format. And I know in many other countries these generations are quite different in names and year ranges. This poll was meant for fun and diversion and certainly not intended to insult any person or group.)

I’ll start it off…

I’m a Gen X-er. A child of the 80’s. I watched cartoons like Voltron, Transformers, GI Joe, He-Man, and Thundercats as a kid. TV favorites evolved through the years: Family Ties --> Perfect Strangers --> Saved by the Bell --> Cheers --> Seinfeld --> Entourage --> Curb Your Enthusiasm . And now to the present favs: (The Office/Parks & Rec/How I Met Your Mother/The Big Bang Theory/Louie)

Music influences as a kid/tween: hair Metal (Poison, Whitesnake, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Guns N Roses, Bon Jovi) and also U2

High School: Grunge (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins) and U2

College: Dave Matthews, Rusted Root, Green Day, Weezer, Radiohead… and U2

Young Adulthood-present: Staind, Linkin Park, The White Stripes, The Lonely Island, and of course U2

Defining Movies:

Childhood – Goonies, Stand By Me, Breakfast Club

High School/College – Silence of the Lambs, American Pie, Shawshank Redemption, Austin Powers

Young Adult-Present: pretty much any Todd Phillips, Farrelly Brothers, or Judd Apatow movie

Finally, since I’m quite partial to funny things (as you may or may not have guessed):

The title of funniest comedian alive as it evolved through my eyes went something like this:

Richard Pryor --> Eddie Murphy --> Jerry Seinfeld --> Chris Rock --> Louie CK (current titleholder), although I hold a special place for Gabriel Iglesias since, like me, he's not fat... he's FLUFFY! :P

There’s plenty I’ve left out. Feel free to rant, rave, add your own memories, pop culture, places, people, political/global events, or otherwise. I look forward to reading people’s responses!

Now it’s time to go sip some more protein….[/quote']

Thanks for sharing all of this.

I still love the original Scooby Doo