Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery in a regular Kaiser hospital, and my surgeon had indicated that if no complications I would just stay over one night under observation and could go home once I was able to take Fluid in by mouth the next morning. The day of surgery and through the night, it felt very conforting to have the staff constantly making sure I was comfortable, checking my vitals, giving me meds for nausea and meds to prevent blood clots, and having the morphine pump for pain if I needed it, and I did need it the first night, although not the next morning. You will more than likely be uncomfortable the day of surgery, it is MAJOR surgery even though it is done laparascopically (for most). If you have the choice, I would advise you to take the one night stay, just to be on the safe side.

I took 4 weeks off work, but I probably could have gone back to work the next week, because I was feeling pretty good, and I was able to get my nutrition in.

Alot of what you will experience will depend on how your body tolerates the surgical procedure, and how well you can stay hydrated and being able to begin eating again.

My whole experience was pretty darn good, hopefully yours will be too!!

Good luck!!

I don't get too much answers on a lot of my questions..I'm not special or anything..but need help!!..I need a vote..here's the question ..

1) I only have a week off of work..will I be OK?..I have an office job. How did you feel after 1 week?

2). Stay the night at the hospital or go home?

What are your votes ..please help!!

Definitely stay in the hospital. I am 9 days out and can pretty much move around but tire easily. Definitely walk around during work and not just sit there.

I don't mean to be rude but whether you stay the night in the hospital isn't up to a "vote"... as for the time off of work' date=' everyone is different...[/quote']

Thank you guru..I know..but it is up to me telling the doctor what I want ahead of time and I wont know ahead of time because I'm not psychic...I was looking for experienced people to tell me what they think...of course if I'm laying in a hospital bed ...I'm not going to say"..sorry experienced nurse...but people on this blog voted I should stay.."..I'm trying to get prepared thank you..I'm not an idiot.

I work in an office too, 40 hours a week, plus I am a mom of a two year old. I had to stay two nights in the hospital. I had no choice in the matter. I am grateful for those two days. I mostly slept and relaxed. I had issues with nausea so I had to be given meds. I also took full advantage of the morphine. No sense being in any discomfort!!! It helped me relax and sleep too! I suggest staying at least one night, but I have to say I'm surprised you have a choice.

I took 2 weeks off of work. My boss was none too happy about it, but she knew for long time I was having this surgery and I had the time to take off. I'm happy I did too. I had a perfect surgery and probably could have gone back earlier, but you will be tired and groggy and if you can take two weeks off, do so!!! You may need it!

I don't mean to be rude but whether you stay the night in the hospital isn't up to a "vote"... as for the time off of work' date=' everyone is different...[/quote']

LMAO Thats kind of like saying, "I hope you don't take this the wrong way" which is always followed by an insult that you cant help but take "the wrong way"

The girl is asking for opinions from those who have been through it. Sheesh

I had mine at a day surgery place. I recommend HIGHLY that you stay at least one night if not two. You are having a vital organ cut out of your body...if they took half a kidney you'd stay right? Stay just to be safe. This is not a safe day surgery IMO

As to time off, the first surgery I couldn't have gone back to work if my life depended on it due to complications, but after the second, I needed a rest for sure each day the first week. At the end of the second I attended a four day conference and did fine, though I was tired out by Sunday. I'd say a week is short but if you can adjust your schedule to make it easier that you will likely be ok the second week if you have no complications. Listen carefully to your body though. If it needs a break take it.

I don't get too much answers on a lot of my questions..I'm not special or anything..but need help!!..I need a vote..here's the question ..

1) I only have a week off of work..will I be OK?..I have an office job. How did you feel after 1 week?

2). Stay the night at the hospital or go home?

What are your votes ..please help!!

I had surgery last Monday and returned to work on the following Tuesday. I feel pretty good but would have preferred to work half days this week. I kind of have desk job but am out of the office quite a bit seeing clients locally. I am pretty sore by 1:00. I spent one night in the hospital.

Thanks soooo much...its weird he releases people...but I am requesting to stay for sure! ..

This question has been raised many times, if you do a search you should find other threads and hear LOTS of peoples opinions and experiences to add to your info.

I stayed one night, which seemed too short in advance, but when it actually happened, I was glad to be home. I had no complications though, so of course this could be different for someone who has something come up.

I took 3 weeks off from work. I have a desk job and could have returned sooner, but my main symptom was exhaustion and actually even returning after 3 weeks was hard. I read stories of people who take less then a week and I guess do fine - so we are all different. If it were me, I would plan on at least 2 weeks off and if you have any issues might need to be longer.

I have a desk job, but a long commute (about an hour and 15 minutes) and I THOUGHT I only needed a week. I was wrong!!

I am in my 2nd week and I NEED this week off. I'm still really tired and getting my Water and Protein in takes focus. I know if I was at work this week, I would be distracted and not get enough of either.

And, YES, stay in the hospital!!! This is not an outpatient surgery!! Complications can be fatal.

Thanks soooo much...its weird he releases people...but I am requesting to stay for sure! ..

I didnt not have complications but my Doctor required me to stay in the hospital for 3 days for observation and Im happy I did because those were the most painful days for me.

You definitely need 2 nights in the hospital after surgery. I went back to work in a week, but I was able to go home early every day to rest. Hubby and i own our own small business. This surgery zaps your strength because you are not eating enough to keep your energy up.

Yes you do get tired very easily. I could do like one major thing a day like grocery shopping and I was done. I had to take a nap in the afternoons. That lasted a little over a week.

Wow - I can't imagine this as an outpatient surgery! This is MAJOR surgery. I was in the hospital two nights and very ready t go home after that. I took two weeks off - though due to boredom I worked from home after a few days.