Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't get too much answers on a lot of my questions..I'm not special or anything..but need help!!..I need a vote..here's the question ..

1) I only have a week off of work..will I be OK?..I have an office job. How did you feel after 1 week?

2). Stay the night at the hospital or go home?

What are your votes ..please help!!

definitely stay in the hospital. and i was fine after a week. just a little tired. but everyone is different. ya wont really know until it happens.

1) you could be ok, but better off with 2 weeks. I felt fairly good after a week, but sooo happy to have 2 in order to focus on new way of "eating" & getting fluids in.

2) spend the night @ hospital so they can monitor you. This is MAJOR surgery.

Stay in the hospital if your insurance covers it. As for the one week, I was physically ok to return to work (desk job) but took an extra week just because I had it and to get my head around the food (measuring, timing, walking, sip, sip, sip), as long as you don't overdo it and get too tired, you should be ok. But everyone is different so listen to your body and your doctor. Good luck!

I have an office job and I could have gone back in a week, the second week I just messed around. Easily could have gone back. Stay the night in the hospital. I was so doped up I needed too. By the next or third day I was much better!

1). I was ok with a week. Hopefully, you will too, but do you have a back up plan if your not ready?

2). I vote stay overnight. I stayed 2 nights and they were needed.

Stay at the hospital.... I would really take as much as time as you can. I took off 1 month and I have an office job. I wasn't really in pain, but more tired and had a hard time adjusting to not taking naps.

I had my surgery on a Wednesday, and I went back to work Monday! I only work about 4 hours a day in the office so it wasn't that bad, but everyone's different.

And I didn't have a choice if I wanted to stay overnight! Each surgeon has their own rules, but mine required that I stay overnight and I couldn't leave until I could get down Breakfast and lunch the next day. Good luck!

No experience yet. My Doctor says at least one night, depending oh how well you are doing with the walking and the pain,etc. He also said 2 weeks to get back to work. I have a very physical job, so I am taking 4 weeks off. But, I can.

You have to do, what you have to do.

As long as work will be accepting of drinking every 10 minutes, and I am guessing going to the bathroom regularly??

Good luck, Do everything the nurses and Doctor tell you to do and you should be fine. One thing my Doctor stressed was staying hydrated!!! Be careful at work not to lift more than 10 pounds the first 2 weeks. Best wishes to you. Let us know how it goes.

Ainslee

Ainslee

If you can take off longer, you should. I had complications and needed 3 weeks.

I would strongly recommend staying in the hospital.

1) Physically I was ready, but mentally I still was dealing with too much. I could not dream of smiling and talking with strangers, while adjusting to my new way of life. If you can, why not stay home? Your mind and body need time to rest.

2) Stay. This is major surgery and in case of an emergency, you want to have access to professional help.

Good luck:)

I had surgery on 10/16 and will be going back to work tomorrow 10/24. I work in an office and should be ok. I hope so, I dont have any more vacation to use.

My Dr. required I stay overnight. If I had not walked and drank enough he would have insisted on one more night,

Good Luck!

My doctor does it outpatient. But he said that he will write it up that I need to stay if I want to. I am not sure why this is. I haven't heard of anyone going home the same day..crazy. I told him I wanted to stay. But have a friend that used him and said she was fine to go. I don't know ..but I think I will stay. At work...I work with other therapists..and will let me take as many breaks as I need and I can schedule my clients not back to back or schedule half of what I normally do..there supportive. Thanks so much for feedback..first time I have got this many responses.

I returned to work after 9 days (also a desk job). I could have gone back after a week if I had needed to. Just plan ahead so you have your fluids at work and ready. You won't be at your best, but you won't be at your worst either. If you can take more time, do. If you absolutely can't, then just do your best.

Most surgeons have their own "rules" regarding hospital stays. If you have a choice, definitely stay one night in the hospital. I was given the option of staying 2 nights but felt ready to go home late afternoon the 2nd day. You will need the IV pain meds, anti-nausea meds, IV fluids (because you simply can't initially drink enough to stay hydrated). Many surgeons perform a leak test the morning after surgery.

Best of luck to you!

I stayed in the hospital 2 nights. I had to request the second night.

I went back to work at 1 week because we are in the middle of an election year and I work for a Political Consultant. I would have preferred at least two weeks, but it wasn't horrible. Just try to rest as much as possible while at work. Make sure you take your Water and Protein with you.