Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When The Dream Ends...

I would agree with the loan approach. If it's that important for your health get the money and worry about paying it back later. You can always consider filing bankruptcy if the medical bills and loans are too much down the line.

I would agree with the loan approach. If it's that important for your health get the money and worry about paying it back later. You can always consider filing bankruptcy if the medical bills and loans are too much down the line.

As much as I hate debt, in this particular case I don't dissagree.

Bubbles,

I completely understand that you are discouraged and understandably so. You just got kicked int the teeth, HARD. Please take a couple steps back and try to see your situation from the outside. There are always options. You seem pretty convinced that without this surgery your time on earth will be short, if this is the case, you have nothing to lose. Do you own your home? Do you have a decent car? Do you have a retirement plan? How is your credit? I am pretty hard nosed against debt, but I would give up everything I own to save my life.

This is a drastic idea, but, I would go as far as to move into a basement apartment, give up my cars & creature comforts. I know a person can survive on well under $1000/month. How quickly could you save up for Mexico surgery that way?

I know none of this sounds appealing, but if you are willing to sacrifice big now, you can make this happen.

ARE YOU SERIOUS DUDE? NO WONDER THIS COUNTRY IS IN THE MESS IT'S IN...BOY IT'S JUST SO EASY TO PAWN S%&T OFF ON OTHERS. TYPICAL

Typical, you say? You wouldn't file for bankruptcy to save a loved ones life? I smell a Republican...

People. This is not about political parties. Don't go there. ARGH

Bubbles; Take a deep breath. Yes, you might gain weight while you are waiting for a solution. Your dreams might be delayed but they are not dead. So difficult when your timeline is shot and no firm date or answers are available.

If it helps your heart, take a break from this site. But do not lose the dream or hope. You never know how things may look in a year or so. Keep the goal in mind. A solution will appear, options will present themselves but don't shut the door.

A big hug for you.

Bubbles,

I think you should take a few days to digest everything then start working on a solution. It's certainly not over for you, it's just a roadblock, there are other routes. I have 2 jobs, only one offered insurance that would pay for the surgery, so maybe you could consider getting a second job. At minimum, the extra money will allow you to consider Medical Tourism. I don't know where you live, but if you don't mind disclosing that info, people here on this site can steer you toward places of employment that has insurance that will cover WLS. I've given out a lot of names to employers that cover it in my area. There's a lot to think about, but it can be done. Also, I took out a personal loan from my credit union to pay off my debt 3 years ago. It was very low interest, so I was able to do it in less time. Again, having a second job would help you pay it off. I know that no one wants to work 2 jobs, but that second job, even if it's part-time can really make a difference. Consider these options and I know a solution will work it's way out for you.

P.S. Like someone else said, minimize your expenses. Cut the cable, take the bus to work, have garage sales. I've done all of these things to pay off my debt and I'm not ashamed of it. Whenever I would get down about my financial situation, I think about the quote, "Live life like no one else, so you can live life like no one else." God Bless You.

ARE YOU SERIOUS DUDE? NO WONDER THIS COUNTRY IS IN THE MESS IT'S IN...BOY IT'S JUST SO EASY TO PAWN S%&T OFF ON OTHERS. TYPICAL

Tell that to Lehman Brothers.

don't feel like you are doomed for the rest of your life!! you do not have to weigh 293 forever. you are going to have to keep trying on your own! maybe you can lose 50 lbs and then you would weigh 243. wouldn't that be nice? imagine how you would feel just 50 lbs less. let me tell you something. i had 2 failed lap band attempts and i was debating on having the sleeve done. right now i decided to keep doing it on my own. i wanted to lose 80 lbs and i told myself what if i lost 40 lbs on my own ?? would i still go for sleeve surgery to lose 40lbs? my answer was no way. i have currently spend the past 7 weeks watching my carbs and I'm down 17 lbs,......thats 1/2 to my 40 weight loss goal!!!

take it I'm small steps. you can do it.

i tell myself ill never weight 130 lbs and thats okay. i just want to be average, feel better and more confident and I can do that and so can you!! don't give up

good luck

Just as a side note... for those of you that would derail this ladies VERY IMPORTANT thread with your political crap, you were reported for your lack of respect...

Bubbles, nothing has to be decided right this minute.. take some time, take a deep breathe, and remember this... You can take on debt to save your life or you can risk a short life due to the comorbidities that come from doing nothing... I promise you it looks dark right now but there really is a way around this pot hole on the highway to healthy.. Look into medical loans... Look into a 401k hardship withdrawal.... Look into a personal loan at the bank.. whatever the options are available in YOUR area...

If nothing else? Make that attorney hang those previous doctors out to dry... take a settlement and lifetime (replacement) surgery... Those attorneys know how to get you something out of this... Don't give up.. It is worth the battle..

my lapband slipped awhile ago and i know i have to have it removed. i fought with my insurance company to pay for the removal and revision to sleeve. DENIED. i knew then the only way i'd be able to afford the surgery is if i go to mexico. my family is NOT happy. they tried talking me onto putting the surgery on a credit card then file bankruptcy because i'm in horribe credit card debt as it is. i refuse to do that though because i do pay my bills on time and the debt is something i did to myself... so no bankruptcy option for me. i thought about cashing in my 401k but the penalty is just too high. i was going to finance through the surgeons office but ended up decided to cash in my personal life insurance policy on myself. i still have one thru work so if something happens, my family is still covered plus they'll have my 401k. there are ways to come up with the money!! don't give up hope!!

Hello all,

This is a reminder to keep this subject at hand on topic. Also, please note this is no place to discuss politics. This is a support website and sub forum for the Vertical Sleeve and those considering it. If you enjoy discussing politics, please take it to Private Messages or enjoy the Rants & Raves Section of this website.

Forum Rules: http://www.verticals...tion=boardrules

Please note in particular:

15. No Hi-Jacking Topics. Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate.

16. Show Respect to All Groups and Individuals. No derogatory references to sex, gender, ethnicity, religions, or sexual orientation, or endorsement of violence against any person or group, even if couched in humor, will be permitted. This includes expressing stereotypes about any group or community.

17. We reserve the right to respond to violations of these guidelines by blocking and/or banning members from this forum.